Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Foot injury

  1. #1
    Banned. CKey_Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - 2008, Trek 7600
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Foot injury

    Not sure where this goes but I'll put it here since this forum gives the best advice.

    I suffered a foot injury a few weeks back from, I think, unclippling.

    The pain was on the bottom left of the foot. Did the usual ice and kept off it and it got better. Now the inner foot is sore and swollen because of overcompensating on that side, I'm guessing. For whatever reason its a difficult injury.

    The pain is on top of the foot just up and to the right of the bump on the inner ankle. Its been swelling on and off for about 3 days.

    So, do I do ice and heat or just ice? I've been getting conflicting opinions on and off line.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,933
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhammer View Post
    Not sure where this goes but I'll put it here since this forum gives the best advice.

    I suffered a foot injury a few weeks back from, I think, unclippling.

    The pain was on the bottom left of the foot. Did the usual ice and kept off it and it got better. Now the inner foot is sore and swollen because of overcompensating on that side, I'm guessing. For whatever reason its a difficult injury.

    The pain is on top of the foot just up and to the right of the bump on the inner ankle. Its been swelling on and off for about 3 days.

    So, do I do ice and heat or just ice? I've been getting conflicting opinions on and off line.
    I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, so I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor, and get it checked out. The doctor will figure out what you did to it and come up with a treatment. You will also be less stressed once you know what the problem is, the treatment plan and how long you will be off bike.

  3. #3
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,246
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing a Doc is a good idea. In the meantime, could you walk a 1/2 mile or mile on a flat walking path? Sounds like you have a strain, and gentle exercise
    (and avoiding strenuous stuff) for a few days often helps. Ice afterwards.
    Last edited by late; 10-25-08 at 06:59 AM.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

  4. #4
    Senior Member theetruscan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my feet hurt, I kick things. But I don't necessarily recommend that as I collapsed an arch.

  5. #5
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,007
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'd say see a Dr as well, as you may also have a fracture.

    As to what to do when it flares? RICE
    Rest
    Ice
    Compress
    Elevate
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  6. #6
    Banned. CKey_Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - 2008, Trek 7600
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late View Post
    Seeing a Doc is a good idea. In the meantime, could you walk a 1/2 mile or mile on a flat walking path? Sounds like you have a strain, and gentle exercise
    (and avoiding strenuous stuff) for a few days often helps. Ice afterwards.
    I can walk on it, but I think I'll just take it easy, get pampered and watch a lot of football today.

  7. #7
    Banned. CKey_Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - 2008, Trek 7600
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    I'd say see a Dr as well, as you may also have a fracture.

    As to what to do when it flares? RICE
    Rest
    Ice
    Compress
    Elevate
    Yeah, I keep seeing this RICE thing. Back in the day, you were supposed to alternate between cold and heat. I guess thats old science.

  8. #8
    Banned. CKey_Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - 2008, Trek 7600
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, all.

  9. #9
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bhammer View Post
    I can walk on it, but I think I'll just take it easy, get pampered and watch a lot of football today.
    Penn State game on today!

  10. #10
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,007
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Heat actually increases the histamine reaction that occurs with injury.

    Quote Originally Posted by bhammer View Post
    Yeah, I keep seeing this RICE thing. Back in the day, you were supposed to alternate between cold and heat. I guess thats old science.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •