Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-08, 05:37 PM   #1
eay
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greater Sacramento, California area
Bikes:
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi from a new athena

Hey there from the greater Sacramento, California area.

Very nice to find this forum here.

I bought my first bike (as an adult) about a year and a half ago, and was riding regularly but 4 months ago wrecked my shoulder and was off my bike for months! Back on the bike now and back on track to lose some more weight (and, sadly, some that I'd already lost but mysteriously found again!)

I am 6' and currently 245 lbs, goal is 180 lbs.

I ride on local residential roads, nearby urban bike trails (paved, thank you!) and sometimes on busy Sacramento streets.

2007 Trek 7.2fx

I loathe hills and love early mornings. And I love that there is no snow where I live = year round biking.

liz
eay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 06:11 PM   #2
wandalynn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Liz and welcome!

Here in Tucson we have year round biking, too. In fact, it's more a winter activity due to the summer heat. If you don't go out *very* early then, it's just too darn hot to ride.

Unfortunately we have hills here too and a few mountains besides. We see lots of pro teams beginning this time of year doing the 30 miles up Mount Lemmon. I ride to the base and occasionally see a team grouping up at milepost 0. A few weeks ago a bunch with red uniforms and 'CCCP' on their jerseys asked me to take a group picture of them at the milepost. Somehow their slavic accents didn't jibe with their (broken English) story that they were a club from Montreal. I got a pic of me with the group on my cell phone. I'll have to upload it sometimes and post it here.

About 4-5 months ago I started riding a 10 year old Spec. Crossroads my daughter left here when she headed out for school. I splurged a few weeks ago and got a bike for me - in my size, no less! - and I was able to move up from 15-20 mile rides into the low 30's I'm going to ride the short 33 mile event in the El Tour de Tucson in about 2-3 weeks time. It will be my first time doing this. My husband's ridden the 100+ event several times but he's doing the short one with me this year.

Weight loss is one of my goals (we have a biggest loser thread here, check it out) but I also ride for fitness and stress management.

We're all looking forward to reading more about you and your rides here on the forum!

Wanda
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 07:38 PM   #3
Condorita
Grammar Cop
 
Condorita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Papa Smurf's Lair
Bikes: in my sig line
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome, Liz, from sunny SoCal (Anaheim).
Condorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 10:49 PM   #4
txvintage
Tilting with windmills
 
txvintage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Texas 'Burbs
Bikes: Many
Posts: 4,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum!

I totally agree flat is better, and year riding (for the most part) rules.
txvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 11:11 PM   #5
ken cummings
Senior Member
 
ken cummings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: northern California
Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
Posts: 5,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a nice (and flat) route into SF that runs through Davis. Look for it on Bikely.com
ken cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 11:34 PM   #6
eay
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greater Sacramento, California area
Bikes:
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken cummings View Post
There is a nice (and flat) route into SF that runs through Davis. Look for it on Bikely.com
OK, I'll look for that route. thanks!
eay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 12:05 AM   #7
funrover 
Senior Member
 
funrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum!
funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 07:06 AM   #8
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Welcome!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 07:28 AM   #9
bbeck
Senior Member
 
bbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: GallatinTn
Bikes: 2008 Specialized Sequoia Elite
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
welcome
bbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 07:44 AM   #10
b_young
Support JDRF
 
b_young's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome
b_young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 07:47 AM   #11
jgjulio 
Senior Member
 
jgjulio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Bikes: 09 Specialized Sequoia, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome!
__________________
Julio (me)
2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite
2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite
2009 Trek 7.3 (Red)

Patricia (wife)
2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite; 2008 Fuji Absolute 2.0
jgjulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 02:05 PM   #12
gotls1
Cute, fluffy, and illegal
 
gotls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Liz! If you ever find yourself in the south bay and looking for a ride partner, look me up.
gotls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 05:38 PM   #13
jesspal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: 2009 Cannondale Caad9-7/2009 BMC SLX01/2011 Marin Nail Trail 29er
Posts: 1,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
welcome, and ditto on the year round riding. I am in Miami and the weather keeps me going all year round.
jesspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 05:53 PM   #14
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 10,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liz,

You might want to poke your head into the NorCal forum - there are several riders up your way that are always looking for someone to ride with.

Besides, we're the cool kids. You wanna be one of the cool kids, right?
__________________
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 12:51 PM   #15
wayne pattee
NadaKid
 
wayne pattee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, Giant Cypress
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Year round rider here too. Just more clothes in the winter than some of you.
wayne pattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 01:45 PM   #16
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!
 
Missbumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boca Raton
Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite
Posts: 1,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the fourm!!! Glad to have another Woman around!!Comeon over and check out ourBiggest Loser Threads.
Missbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 02:25 PM   #17
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Liz/Eay.

Nice to have year round riding. I had that in Florida, but all flat. Now I live in WA and have hills. I can nearly ride year round, it's not often its sooooo bad I can't force myself to get on the bike.

What kind of bike do you have?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 02:53 PM   #18
cohophysh
fishologist
 
cohophysh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
Welcome Liz/Eay.

Nice to have year round riding. I had that in Florida, but all flat. Now I live in WA and have hills. I can nearly ride year round, it's not often its sooooo bad I can't force myself to get on the bike.

What kind of bike do you have?
I don't know KT, yesterday may have qualified as one of those day!
__________________
We cannot solve problems with the same level of consciousness that created them. A.E.

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
http://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx


cohophysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 09:45 PM   #19
superjim
Pain is temporary.
 
superjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Bikes:
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
Hi Liz and welcome!

Here in Tucson we have year round biking, too. In fact, it's more a winter activity due to the summer heat. If you don't go out *very* early then, it's just too darn hot to ride.

Unfortunately we have hills here too and a few mountains besides. We see lots of pro teams beginning this time of year doing the 30 miles up Mount Lemmon. I ride to the base and occasionally see a team grouping up at milepost 0. A few weeks ago a bunch with red uniforms and 'CCCP' on their jerseys asked me to take a group picture of them at the milepost. Somehow their slavic accents didn't jibe with their (broken English) story that they were a club from Montreal. I got a pic of me with the group on my cell phone. I'll have to upload it sometimes and post it here.

About 4-5 months ago I started riding a 10 year old Spec. Crossroads my daughter left here when she headed out for school. I splurged a few weeks ago and got a bike for me - in my size, no less! - and I was able to move up from 15-20 mile rides into the low 30's I'm going to ride the short 33 mile event in the El Tour de Tucson in about 2-3 weeks time. It will be my first time doing this. My husband's ridden the 100+ event several times but he's doing the short one with me this year.

Weight loss is one of my goals (we have a biggest loser thread here, check it out) but I also ride for fitness and stress management.

We're all looking forward to reading more about you and your rides here on the forum!

Wanda
Woah, slavic accents? CCCP Jerseys? not only is this team not from Montreal, theyve apparently been riding nonstop since 1991 - thats one hell of a long ride....or theyre just too cheap to update their jerseys...?

Welcome to BikeForums to the original poster, hope you achieve all you hope to on your bike! and remember to tell us all about it! take care.
superjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 11:46 PM   #20
wandalynn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjim View Post
Woah, slavic accents? CCCP Jerseys? not only is this team not from Montreal, theyve apparently been riding nonstop since 1991 - thats one hell of a long ride....or theyre just too cheap to update their jerseys...?

.
Yes, I'd thought there must be a story behind their story.

Back when I lived near Cleveland I remember a Lithuanian neighbor saying there was a large Lithuanian population in Toronto. I wonder if the group I met may have been expatriates living in Quebec and that the jersey design was tongue in cheek.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 11:48 PM   #21
Antelope 70cm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NOR-CAL
Bikes:
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome. I'm sure you are out on the ARBT?
Antelope 70cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 08:56 AM   #22
eay
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greater Sacramento, California area
Bikes:
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
Welcome Liz/Eay.
What kind of bike do you have?
2007 Trek 7.2fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope 70cm View Post
Welcome. I'm sure you are out on the ARBT?
Yep - I commuted to Sac State on the American River Trail while I was in grad school. I would drive to the Folsom end and then either hop on light rail to campus or pedal to campus and ride the train back.
eay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 PM.