Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    Getaway Rider
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    First 30 mile ride today!! Woohoo!! *pics*

    Well, I know 30 miles is just a warmup ride for some, but for me it's the longest I've ever ridden non-stop.

    I've been setting some distance goals during the past few weeks since the weather is still tolerable here in CO, and although my goal was only 20 miles, I decided to put the hammer down for 10 more on Saturday! I did a mixture of bike path, country two-lane road and some hills as well.

    I felt great, and probably could have done another 20 if the sun hadn't disappeared. When I got back into cycling back in June, I couldn't go 5 miles without kicking my own ass, now 30 is a breeze.

    Y E S !!!

    Here's a few pics of my route, and one of my sexy clyde self...







  2. #2
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    30 a warmup ride? Pfft. There are only two distances, 30 and a hundred. 100 comes after the 30! Maybe another 2 weeks, you're there!

    Nice bike!

  3. #3
    Each Drop of Sweat Counts
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Iwakuni Japan
    My Bikes
    MASI Speciale Road, Specialized Rockhopper 29'er, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT, Ignio Folding bike
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded your pic and zoomed in on it and saw that your bike is a Giant but can't make out the particular model. What is it?

    I fancy myself a very amateur photographer. Your first shot is awesome with the bike on the left.

    30 miles is a good distance even if it's a short ride. I do a lot of errands and commuting stuff but once or twice a week I break out my road bike and I usually ride in the neighborhood of 40-50 kilometers. It's a workout.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! 30 miles is a respectable distance and those distance accomplishments always feel great.

    Beautiful area too.

  5. #5
    circus bear ban guzzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Austin
    My Bikes
    97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you make the run out to Chatfield? That trail looks familiar...You might possibly be also, if you were out on Bear Creek/Platte headed back into town about 4-430pm. I commute on Platte/Bear Creek for whatever thats worth...
    Car Free Life.
    Riding without a brake is like saying that you trust traffic. ~ jonestr

  6. #6
    Getaway Rider
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekJapan View Post
    I downloaded your pic and zoomed in on it and saw that your bike is a Giant but can't make out the particular model. What is it?
    It's a 2008 FCR2. I picked it up at the beginning of the summer, I love it.

  7. #7
    Getaway Rider
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ban guzzi View Post
    Did you make the run out to Chatfield? That trail looks familiar...You might possibly be also, if you were out on Bear Creek/Platte headed back into town about 4-430pm. I commute on Platte/Bear Creek for whatever thats worth...
    I have ridden the Chatfield trail, but my pics are of the Poudre River trail in Fort Collins. We are blessed with an awesome trail system...I love this town.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale Caad9-7/2009 BMC SLX01/2011 Marin Nail Trail 29er
    Posts
    1,715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my sister lives in fort collins, i'm gonna bring my bike when i go out there now for sure.

  9. #9
    Bikezilla Mazama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Flori-Duh
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Mazama
    Posts
    881
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your accomplishment. Now go down to the New Belgium brewery and have yourself a Fat Tire!
    14,000 miles and rolling...

  10. #10
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Congratulations on your ride, but please don't slip into the mindset that miles are important. It's far better than you had a good time than you matched some other poster's mileage.

    Nice bike, BTW.

  11. #11
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 Miles is awesome!! Just think of what a pain it is to drive 30 miles. And great photo of your Clyde self. Handsome devil..Oh and the bike looks good too! way to go!!
    Last edited by Missbumble; 11-10-08 at 05:26 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member scrapmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Quartered safe out here
    My Bikes
    197x?? Raleigh rescued from scrap metal; Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a good distance you made there. Hey, in metric it is almost 50 km, nothing to take lightly.

    What is that luggage you have on the back of the bike? Looks pretty cool to me.
    Po všetkém hovno, enem po včelách med.

  13. #13
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Posts
    25,898
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Ride, Great Photos. Wow.
    Enjoy your miles and time on the bike. I do.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  14. #14
    Getaway Rider
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazama View Post
    Congratulations on your accomplishment. Now go down to the New Belgium brewery and have yourself a Fat Tire!

    I love New Belgium, those guys are great....and the brewery is only 6 miles from my house! Yum.

  15. #15
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool man, Glad to hear! There is a lot of great biking here in CO, weather is slowly chaning now.. time for snow rides woo hoo


    BTW Congrats!

  16. #16
    Getaway Rider
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapmetal View Post
    Thats a good distance you made there. Hey, in metric it is almost 50 km, nothing to take lightly.

    What is that luggage you have on the back of the bike? Looks pretty cool to me.
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys!!

    Its a Topeak Dynapack. I love it. It holds all my necessities whether I'm commuting or out for a longer ride, and it's got a clip for my blinkie and a quick release for when I park my bike somewhere unsavory.

    It holds my ***, phone, wallet and a snack just perfectly, and I have room for a tube and a flat kit also. It wieghs essentially nothing when it's empty.

  17. #17
    Getaway Rider
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesspal View Post
    my sister lives in fort collins, i'm gonna bring my bike when i go out there now for sure.
    Dooo eeeet. Let me know when you're coming!

  18. #18
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go up there about every 3 weeks to babysit, don't get much bike time in.... here in a few months I will though, I will start to cart the little guy around in a trailer.... then I will need help on trails/where to go. So any ideas let me know.. I'd be willing to ride with others also!

  19. #19
    Senior Member scrapmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Quartered safe out here
    My Bikes
    197x?? Raleigh rescued from scrap metal; Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VolksDragon View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys!!

    Its a Topeak Dynapack. I love it. It holds all my necessities whether I'm commuting or out for a longer ride, and it's got a clip for my blinkie and a quick release for when I park my bike somewhere unsavory.

    It holds my ***, phone, wallet and a snack just perfectly, and I have room for a tube and a flat kit also. It wieghs essentially nothing when it's empty.
    Thank you.
    Po všetkém hovno, enem po včelách med.

  20. #20
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bolt on another water bottle cage and go for 60 miles! And throw some snow studs on for some fun winter riding.
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  21. #21
    Getaway Rider
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by funrover View Post
    I go up there about every 3 weeks to babysit, don't get much bike time in.... here in a few months I will though, I will start to cart the little guy around in a trailer.... then I will need help on trails/where to go. So any ideas let me know.. I'd be willing to ride with others also!

    The trail system is awesome, with a TON of different routes, different scenery and different destinations. Most of the city has bike lanes as well, so you can cut / paste your rides depending on where you want to end up.

    Here's the link to where you can download the trail map.

    http://www.fcgov.com/bicycling/bike-maps.php

    One of my favorite rides is to start at Cottonwood Glen Park near Horsetooth and Taft Hill, and ride the Spring Creek trail all the way through Campus to the Riverbend Ponds Natural Area. From there, you can double back, or go northwest all the way to the Poudre Valley Trailhead and on to the Watson Lake / Horsetooth Reservoir area. That loop would end up being about 40 miles, but you can also do much, much smaller chunks and still see a buch of cool scenery.


    Let me know if you want some company, we can plan a decent ride depending on the weather.
    Last edited by VolksDragon; 11-10-08 at 04:14 PM.

  22. #22
    Getaway Rider
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jyossarian View Post
    Bolt on another water bottle cage and go for 60 miles! And throw some snow studs on for some fun winter riding.

    I was just thinking about that...I do need to throw my other cage on there.

  23. #23
    Double Naught Spy TrekDen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB
    Posts
    1,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VolksDragon View Post
    I was just thinking about that...I do need to throw my other cage on there.
    Congrats on a ride well done

    Just a suggestion for when ya throw the other cage on. Fill one bottle with water, and fill the other with some sort of sports drink. Alternate drinking from both, and you'll be hydrated and have some electrolytes added for those you lose while riding.

    Denny

  24. #24
    Getaway Rider
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekDen View Post
    Congrats on a ride well done

    Just a suggestion for when ya throw the other cage on. Fill one bottle with water, and fill the other with some sort of sports drink. Alternate drinking from both, and you'll be hydrated and have some electrolytes added for those you lose while riding.

    Denny
    Thanks and thanks! That's a good idea...


  25. #25
    Not safe for work cyclokitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0
    Posts
    2,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looked like a great day for cycling. Congrats on the 30 miles.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •