Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-08, 12:07 PM   #1
jboyd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jboyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern Illinois
Bikes: Giant "Rainier"
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
29er, Error in Judgement

So yesterday I stopped at a local bike shop in Cape Girardeau, MO to drool over whatever selection of 29er's they had. I made the grave error of test riding a Gary Fisher Genesis 2.0 Paragon 29er.

What the hell was I thinking? That is not in my current budget and I am now in

Tracey and I have agreed that this year we are cutting way back on xmas to each other in order to help a local family. I still want and will help the family, but I want to renegotiate the cutting back on each other part Well, at least the cutting back on me part. I REALLY LIKED THAT BIKE

I have been chatting with a whitewater forum friend of mine who lives in CO and is part owner of a bike shop. His shop sells Giant, Fuji, and I think Cannondale, so he has access to a couple of 29er's, but he himself admits that he went out and bought the GF from a competitor because he felt it's geometry was that much better designed then the Fuji.

How silly it is to test ride when you are not in a position to buy If you read about a liquor store robbed in my area, I'll let you know how the new GF works out

Jay
jboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 12:19 PM   #2
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyd View Post
So yesterday I stopped at a local bike shop in Cape Girardeau, MO to drool over whatever selection of 29er's they had. I made the grave error of test riding a Gary Fisher Genesis 2.0 Paragon 29er.

What the hell was I thinking? That is not in my current budget and I am now in

Tracey and I have agreed that this year we are cutting way back on xmas to each other in order to help a local family. I still want and will help the family, but I want to renegotiate the cutting back on each other part Well, at least the cutting back on me part. I REALLY LIKED THAT BIKE

I have been chatting with a whitewater forum friend of mine who lives in CO and is part owner of a bike shop. His shop sells Giant, Fuji, and I think Cannondale, so he has access to a couple of 29er's, but he himself admits that he went out and bought the GF from a competitor because he felt it's geometry was that much better designed then the Fuji.

How silly it is to test ride when you are not in a position to buy If you read about a liquor store robbed in my area, I'll let you know how the new GF works out

Jay
May I suggest an alternative? Sell stuff you don't use and apply the money towards the 29r. I'm doing that with the idea that I'll be that much closer to buying a touring 'bent. (I'm PA Bookseller on Amazon, if you want to see me try to dispose of part of my book and music library. And folks think I don't suffer pain for cycling. )

Edit: I'm also searching for a buyer for the Navigator, if that gets me that much closer to a 'bent.

Last edited by Neil_B; 12-07-08 at 12:39 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 05:49 PM   #3
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I'm making the same mistake and drooling over a utility/urban bomber buildup around either a Surly KM or a Salsa Fargo frame. I shouldn't look at bikes I can't afford when I have other pressing financial obligations to deal with.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 06:08 PM   #4
bdinger
Chubby super biker
 
bdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nebraska
Bikes:
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Same boat! Well.. kind of. I told my wife that she gets a house, I get a Karate Monkey.

Unfortunately she doesn't see it directly my way.. yet . SHe did the same thing when I wanted a LHT, and eventually had to push me out the door to the LBS to go buy one.

The Paragon is.. awesome. Check out some Salsas too, my heart still screams for a Mamasita frame .

Neil - I'm doing the same thing! I have (literally) closets full of computer parts that I no longer have any desire for. Seriously.. three 300mw PCMCIA wifi cards? What was I thinking back then! I'm starting everything at $5 and letting it roll. Some financial gain is better/none/taking up space.
bdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 06:36 PM   #5
jboyd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jboyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern Illinois
Bikes: Giant "Rainier"
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes Neil, your advice is appreciated. This afternoon I went to my storage unit and started sorting through all the camping and paddling gear that I have. I literally have 3 of everything, and we're talking the good stuff. Bunches of NRS Hydroskin, Mountain Hardware Hammerhead3 Tent, a couple of Wilderness Systems Pungos, a primo Werner whitewater paddle and lots of ancillary gear. And in the bike world, a Pacific Mountain bike and a 1967 Raleigh (nottingham england) 3 speed in primo condition.

I am stoked. You have lit a fire under me. I am gonna unload this stuff. When I get done, I will still have at least one of everything I had before, and will be much closer to the next ride.

Sorry for the rant...........kinda wired

Jay
jboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 09:52 PM   #6
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyd View Post
Yes Neil, your advice is appreciated. This afternoon I went to my storage unit and started sorting through all the camping and paddling gear that I have. I literally have 3 of everything, and we're talking the good stuff. Bunches of NRS Hydroskin, Mountain Hardware Hammerhead3 Tent, a couple of Wilderness Systems Pungos, a primo Werner whitewater paddle and lots of ancillary gear. And in the bike world, a Pacific Mountain bike and a 1967 Raleigh (nottingham england) 3 speed in primo condition.

I am stoked. You have lit a fire under me. I am gonna unload this stuff. When I get done, I will still have at least one of everything I had before, and will be much closer to the next ride.

Sorry for the rant...........kinda wired

Jay
My case was both less extreme and weirder. I knew I had a problem when I came home with a paperback copy of The Portable Stephen Crane, only to discover I already owned it. Add that to the two paperback copies of Boswell's Life of Johnson, in addition to having it in hardcover, and I knew I had a problem. "Hi, my name is Neil, and I am a biblioholic."

Between that, a large chunk of my CD collection, my Navigator, and some excess bike gear I have, I should have a good start to getting a recumbent, if a 'bent is going to make me be a better rider. And getting rid of excess weight of ANY kind is liberating in itself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 09:59 PM   #7
JoelS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Sacramento
Bikes:
Posts: 4,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never, Ever test ride a bike that you can't afford to buy!
__________________
-------

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
JoelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 10:11 PM   #8
jboyd
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jboyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern Illinois
Bikes: Giant "Rainier"
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
Never, Ever test ride a bike that you can't afford to buy!
Well where were you yesterday when I needed that advice?
jboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 10:15 PM   #9
JoelS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Sacramento
Bikes:
Posts: 4,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was here. Waiting for you to ask.
__________________
-------

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
JoelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 09:03 AM   #10
Caincando1
Senior Member
 
Caincando1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dodge Center, MN
Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's why I test ride... I don't like teasing myself like that. A 29'er would be killer! Best of luck.
Caincando1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 08:39 PM   #11
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You never no what eBay beholds. I had software out the wazoo, I sold a developers edition of Office 97 about in 2007 for $195, Crystal Reports Ver 7 for $100, Ver 8 for $125 and so much other crap I never used anymore and never developed in any longer. I made in the hood of $1500. Did I mention I bought my CAAD9 for $1200??? It can happen.
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 08:49 PM   #12
jesspal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a reef aquarium and can sell small pieces of coral that i frag for a pretty good price. I think this is what i'm gonna do to sneak a new marin hamilton 29er in on my wife.
jesspal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 02:06 PM   #13
Caincando1
Senior Member
 
Caincando1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dodge Center, MN
Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.0
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesspal View Post
I have a reef aquarium and can sell small pieces of coral that i frag for a pretty good price. I think this is what i'm gonna do to sneak a new marin hamilton 29er in on my wife.
Well don't tease us! Post pictures of your tank for gods sakes.
Caincando1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 01:47 PM   #14
BikEthan
JRA.
 
BikEthan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Bikes: '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
Never, Ever test ride a bike that you can't afford to buy!
Yeah... that's how I ended up with a large chunk of credit card debt and an Atlantis... honestly I don't have any regrets though.
__________________
2009 Bike Friday Season Tikit (commuting folder)
2007 Rivendell Atlantis (touring, general riding, errand runner, stuff hauler)
2007 IRO Mark V (SS)
2006 Rockhopper Comp Disc (Icebike)
BikEthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 03:27 PM   #15
1bluetrek
Senior Member
 
1bluetrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: eastern wa.
Bikes: 2015 Giant Advanced Pro 2,Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sigh, whats a guy to do? I love my Trek, but I do admit that I tend to lust after other bikes. (mostly ones that I could never dream of being able to afford).
1bluetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 04:27 PM   #16
Jerry in So IL
Rabbit Habbit!
 
Jerry in So IL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Johnston City, IL
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 08
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've done the same thing, but with a Savge muzzleloader. Its sweet, and shoots smokeless powder. Been selling off my "junk pile" of parts and reloading itmes and casting moulds. Hoping to make that extra money before March.

Still up in the air about a Spring bike though. Just can't bring myself of buy anything as of yet. My Hardrocks are getting me through the winter and maybe early Spring. Looking at the Breezer Liberty hard or a Worksman Cycle with options.

BTW, don't mean to hijack, but ankle is given a clean bill of health. I'm back at the gym, for right now. New shift, 4am to 12n, is hell on me and riding. Feel like I could sleep all day and night.

Jerry
Jerry in So IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 PM.