Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Having A Bad December (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/495386-having-bad-december.html)

pipes 12-18-08 12:56 AM

Having A Bad December
 
I started riding back in June fathers day wife bought me a bike ! Anyway i was doing good I had rode my bike everyday until Dec 2nd iam retired not a daily comutter .but i have lost almost a 90 lbs I started at 371 anyway since down to 284 at the Dr office last week. so iam going along and get the flu just as the flu kina ends for no reason at all I wake up and my back is out so bad I can barely walk! backs getting a little better some how I pulled the mussles in my lower back no idea how thou I woke up that way be atleast another week until
I can ride or go to the gym . I was getting in decent shape until this mess Iam 53 retired with a lot a health issues bad heart and all that goes with being over weight! I better get to my question looks like i will be out of acttion atleast 3 weeks how much out a shape am I going to be anyone have a guess I was doing 15 to 25 miles most days ? I hate having to just set now that iam use to getting out and about .man o man I mss riding even if it is cold or nasty and i have to go to the gym ! Anyway iam done venting but I sure am sick a being sick .

jesspal 12-18-08 05:40 AM

Many people may disagree but I have had very positive experiences going to a chiropractor. I would go in and get adjusted, walk out feeling 80% stronger. The Dr. was a little guy real little, I looked at him like what are you gonna do to me being so little.

Surprisingly he was very gentle yet effective at adjusting my spine. My brother-in-law who has a bad back since a car accident years ago will wake up at times not being able to walk. He will go in a few times in a week for adjustments and after the first visit can walk fine. After the third he feels back to normal.

just something to think about, to possibly get you back on track. Also it is much healthier than loading up on pain killers.

10 Wheels 12-18-08 06:47 AM

Don't despair.
You will come back on the bike soon and will find it fun again.
Ride Safe.

bautieri 12-18-08 07:06 AM

It will come back faster than you think. The first few rides will probably be a little more difficult than you remember but I would honestly be surprised if you are unable to finish your loops. Don't worry about it, rest up and get back in the saddle when you are ready. No need to rush and hurt yourself.

You know, now would be a good time for you to do some maintenance on your bike. Check your brake pads, tear down and clean the drive train, lube cables, check your tires pull out the bits of glass and wire, hand wash and wax your frame. That way your bike will look just as shiny as the day you brought her home when you're ready to roll again!

Tom Stormcrowe 12-18-08 07:22 AM

Agreed with the above posters. You've had the flu, and remember, the flu can flat kick your butt, especially if you have cardiovascular or pulmonary issues. Remember, it's actually one of the prime killers, disease wise.

Rest up, get better, and you'll get back to where you were and better soon enough. ;)

lil brown bat 12-18-08 07:38 AM

There's a way to get through this. First, purchase a keyboard with a period key -- it's normally located two keys to the right of the M key. It won't help your flu recovery or your back, but it will make your posts easier to read, and therefore make it easier for people to offer useful comments ;-)

Next, find out what level of activity you can do, and what progression of activity will lead to the best recovery, and follow it. So it's not the type or level of activity you're used to? Not to fret. Just get with the (new and temporary) program and do what you have to do.

Finally, don't fall completely off the sled. Unhealthy living is the product of a complex of problematic behaviors, not just a single thing. On the flip side, if one element of your healthy living -- riding your bike -- is not available to you temporarily, it's no reason to lose all your other good habits. Are you eating right? Are you keeping regular hours and getting sufficient sleep? Are you avoiding activities that are sedentary and mind-numbing and time-consuming, like watching television or playing computer games? Then just keep those things up, and that will help you through.

bakerjw 12-18-08 08:07 AM

You will be surprised at how fast you come back and sometimes a good lay off is what your body needs. I went 2+ weeks without riding and got my butt handed to me the first 20+ mile ride. But, my joints felt better and my muscles came back better too.

CACycling 12-18-08 10:28 AM

+1 on chiropractors Also, riding has all but eliminated the years of back problems I had. I was off bikes for most of a month last summer due to vacations and a cold. During that time, my lower back pain returned. I had almost forgotten how annoying the chronic pain was. It took a while to build myself up after even that short time out of the saddle but, when I returned to riding, the back pain left. Just don't get discouraged, remember where you've come from (Awesome progress in a short time!) and keep looking ahead.

KingTermite 12-18-08 10:40 AM

Are you saying you lost 90 lbs between June and now??? :eek:

atcfoody 12-18-08 10:50 AM

I can't help myself: "Chiropractors, giving witch doctors a bad name since the 1890's".

Now that I've got that out of the way, some chiropractors are very good (this is a small group). As for the rest, the above statement still applies. What you want to look for if you are going to visit a chiropractor is: someone who will explain what they are going to do, why they are going to do it, what the outcome of the treatment is, and how often the treatment should be necessary. They should/may give you some exercises as "homework" to maintain the efficacy of the treatment. If you need to go visit them more that 2-3 times, there is something else going on and further looking needs to be done. If they don't agree, or seem like they are mindlessly manipulating your spine, get away from them quickly. After a manipulation, you should feel markedly better, and the relief should be lasting. If not, something else is going on.

Good luck, Happy Holidays, and take it easy. You'll be back on the bike in no time.
D

alanfleisig 12-18-08 10:53 AM

+1 on "not falling off the sled"

If you can't bike for a few weeks, stay active at a level you can sustain. Go for a 1/2-hour walk everyday, or something similar. Maybe faster or longer walks if your health allows.

If you do this, you'll find you will have maintained most of the conditioning you had before you got sick.

P.S. I just had a friend who had to have a shoulder surgically repaired after chiropracter damage. I know others who swear by them. Chiro's, like doctors, vary greatly in quality. Be very careful and picky if you visit a chiro.

Pinyon 12-18-08 12:02 PM

Yeah, I would check out any medical professional before I went to them That goes for both doctors or medical clinics, or chiropractors. If I were you, I would ask around. If not your own doctor, then a local physical therapists, athletic trainers or coaches? Most of those people know the decent sports-related doctors and/or chiropractors in your area that show results over time.

I've known lots of people with shoulder and back issues that the chiropractor has worked wonders for. They are really good at aligning the joints that are out-of-whack, and especially good at breaking down thicker scar tissue around an old injury. Many sports rehabilitation specialists do this as well to relieve pain these days. It works, when done well.

Just make sure that you go to someone that has a decent reputation. You can end up hurt a lot worse if they get too hasty, or tend to have one approach to fix similar problems in different people. No one prescription fixes all shoulder, knee, back, etc. issues.

Hope you feel better fast. You will get it back faster than you think after you are over this cold. Hang in there.


atcfoody 12-18-08 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinyon (Post 8042181)
Yeah, I would check out any medical professional before I went to them That goes for both doctors or medical clinics, or chiropractors. If I were you, I would ask around. If not your own doctor, then a local physical therapists, athletic trainers or coaches? Most of those people know the decent sports-related doctors and/or chiropractors in your area that show results over time.

I've known lots of people with shoulder and back issues that the chiropractor has worked wonders for. They are really good at aligning the joints that are out-of-whack, and especially good at breaking down thicker scar tissue around an old injury. Many sports rehabilitation specialists do this as well to relieve pain these days. It works, when done well.

Just make sure that you go to someone that has a decent reputation. You can end up hurt a lot worse if they get too hasty, or tend to have one approach to fix similar problems in different people. No one prescription fixes all shoulder, knee, back, etc. issues.

Hope you feel better fast. You will get it back faster than you think after you are over this cold. Hang in there.


Pinyon, you just made my day:love:. I couldn't have said it better.

Here's something I left out of my previous post. Your general practitioner (family doctor), generally speaking, does a great job with colds, the flu, and other diseases; They often are not the best judge of what to do for sporting injuries. The same goes for emergency room folks. They do real well with things like a car crash. Neither does a great job at dealing with the injuries common with athletes. This goes for anyone; if you have a sports injury, find a physician who is board certified in sports medicine (it is a separate certification, above and beyond the general medical certification), or a sports medicine clinic. There, you'll find physicians, PA's, Athletic Trainers (like me) and Physical Therapists who are capable of steering you in the right direction toward recovery. They might also have recommendations for specialists outside their practice that might be of help as well.

Good luck,
D

txvintage 12-18-08 01:58 PM

Your last few weeks sounds like my October and November, except I did the back trouble first and then upper, middle, lower, side, etc etc respiratory issue thing and the flu. Really kicked my butt.

I've had three back surgeries and have half a bike worth of titanium holding my lower spine together. The advice for seeing a Sports Medicine specialist is a good bit of advice. I'm either fortunate or cursed to have a high level athlete for a Daughter. We have had numerous bouts of Rehab/Physical Therapy over the years and had the benefit of some pretty good trainers and Ortho's to recommend people to see, like Chiro's.

I was very reluctant to go see a chiropractor with all the hardware I carry around in my back. I went to see the PT/Chiro clinic that has treated my daughter for years and was pleasantly surprised at the results. I got lucky in that the main guy is a cyclist, one can only get that lucky every so often. The end result was hard to argue with.

I know I will face back issues for the rest of my life, and have been for a very long time already. I'm pretty convinced that it will be a long long time before it retires me from the bike.

Spiff up the ride, get in some walking, and maybe map out some new routes for when you are better.

Best of luck.

EasyEd 12-18-08 04:25 PM

It may sound silly, but make sure you are drinking lots of water. From my experience, muscle injuries seem to heal much faster if I am properly hydrated.

pipes 12-18-08 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTermite (Post 8041726)
Are you saying you lost 90 lbs between June and now??? :eek:

Yes in warm weather it was melting off .But I seriously chamged the way I eat and what I eat and am ridding atleast 20 miles everyday ! Or was when it got really cold here in Michigan I switched to the gym bike and until the flu then my back I was doing fine .Having to set like this I feel lucky I seem to not be gaining any weight so far .Iam guessing it a be a week or so befor i can hit it hard again.

cod.peace 12-19-08 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atcfoody (Post 8042414)
This goes for anyone; if you have a sports injury, find a physician who is board certified in sports medicine (it is a separate certification, above and beyond the general medical certification), or a sports medicine clinic. There, you'll find physicians, PA's, Athletic Trainers (like me) and Physical Therapists who are capable of steering you in the right direction toward recovery. They might also have recommendations for specialists outside their practice that might be of help as well.

This is the best advice in this thread yet.

My biggest beef with chiropractors: I have never met anyone who was actually cured of their back ailments through chiropractic. Yes, they get relief from pain, but then they have to continuously return for 'adjustments.' The last time I really hurt my back I finally saw an orthopedist, they diagnosed a compressed disk in my lower back, and I went to a back specialist PT for a few months. That nearly completely cured my back pain, and taking up biking this year has eliminated what remained.

If I ever take up deadlifting and clean & jerks again (and I plan to at some point) I will be visiting a sports medicine clinic and finding an expert lifting coach to work around my back problem. One sport at a time though, my bike puts a grin on my face every time I so much as look at it :)

Fairmont 12-19-08 08:29 AM

You'll recover. Just take it easy and rest (try to keep the calories low).

I've had my back go completely out about three or four times, and each time was a nightmare for a few days and a slowdown for a couple weeks.

The first time I was playing golf. Everything was fine. I hit my drive and picked up my bag. Then, on the fairway, I set my back down to take my second shot. I hit the ball and it landed up near the green. Typical shot, no problem.

Then I reached down to pick up the bag and my entire back shot with pain, complete electrical type shock of pain.

When I got to the ball to putt, I felt horrible and could barely stand. Then I said, "Guys, I'm hurt. I have to go."

I was in bed for days.


About three years ago I helped at a school fundraiser, loading cases of softdrinks into the cars of parents. I'd lift two at a time (bad idea) and the way you put it into the cars requires your back, not just your legs.

I was barely sore the next day. Phew. Several days went by with a normal day to day routine.

Then, on Mother's day, out of nowhere my entire back went out so badly that I had to lay on the floor. It took a huge effort on my part and the help of others just to get me into a bed. I was stuck in that bed, unable to move, for hours. The next day I could barely move. I walked like an old man.


Now I do gentle stomach crunches while standing to tighten up my stomach muscles. Helps a lot.


Good luck.

pipes 12-19-08 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairmont (Post 8046466)
You'll recover. Just take it easy and rest (try to keep the calories low).

I've had my back go completely out about three or four times, and each time was a nightmare for a few days and a slowdown for a couple weeks.

The first time I was playing golf. Everything was fine. I hit my drive and picked up my bag. Then, on the fairway, I set my back down to take my second shot. I hit the ball and it landed up near the green. Typical shot, no problem.

Then I reached down to pick up the bag and my entire back shot with pain, complete electrical type shock of pain.

When I got to the ball to putt, I felt horrible and could barely stand. Then I said, "Guys, I'm hurt. I have to go."

I was in bed for days.


About three years ago I helped at a school fundraiser, loading cases of softdrinks into the cars of parents. I'd lift two at a time (bad idea) and the way you put it into the cars requires your back, not just your legs.

I was barely sore the next day. Phew. Several days went by with a normal day to day routine.

Then, on Mother's day, out of nowhere my entire back went out so badly that I had to lay on the floor. It took a huge effort on my part and the help of others just to get me into a bed. I was stuck in that bed, unable to move, for hours. The next day I could barely move. I walked like an old man.


Now I do gentle stomach crunches while standing to tighten up my stomach muscles. Helps a lot.


Good luck.

Thanks sounds like what is going on with me ! Walking like a old man first 2 days i had stay in bed went in the Dr office in wheeel chair.No need for chiro mine is soft tisue OMG its painful and I have no idea how it happened .

Wavy 12-19-08 08:07 PM

Quote:

My biggest beef with chiropractors: I have never met anyone who was actually cured of their back ailments through chiropractic. Yes, they get relief from pain, but then they have to continuously return for 'adjustments.'
My biggest beef with bicycles: I've never met anyone who hasn't had to work on his/her bike. They always enjoy riding, but then they have to continuously return to the shop for "adjustments (or learn to do it themselves).

Amazing how many people think a simple machine like the bicycle needs maintenance, but a complex organism like the human body --especially skeletal alignment that affects the nervous system -- should work forever, regardless of activity. Astounding.

Fantasminha 12-20-08 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavy (Post 8050107)
My biggest beef with bicycles: I've never met anyone who hasn't had to work on his/her bike. They always enjoy riding, but then they have to continuously return to the shop for "adjustments (or learn to do it themselves).

Amazing how many people think a simple machine like the bicycle needs maintenance, but a complex organism like the human body --especially skeletal alignment that affects the nervous system -- should work forever, regardless of activity. Astounding.

Ditto Wavy. I go to an accupuncturist, but same/same. He sorts out my back (from a car wreck a few years ago) and I haven't been sick in 4 years.

pipes 12-21-08 12:59 AM

Well since I am in Michigan and here we got 8 inches a snow last night and pose to get 1 to 3 tonight .I had to do the gym thing and it went well. I did 10 miles on the bike today and OMG it was a bit ruff the first few minutes ! My back is still sore but the bike hot tub and sauna seem to help a lot . Iam so glad to be back active ! I still got t take it easy thou . Thank you for all the advice and concern shown here .

lil brown bat 12-21-08 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavy (Post 8050107)
My biggest beef with bicycles: I've never met anyone who hasn't had to work on his/her bike. They always enjoy riding, but then they have to continuously return to the shop for "adjustments (or learn to do it themselves).

Amazing how many people think a simple machine like the bicycle needs maintenance, but a complex organism like the human body --especially skeletal alignment that affects the nervous system -- should work forever, regardless of activity. Astounding.

Invalid comparison; the maintenance you're doing on your bicycle is for new issues and problems, not the same old problem reasserting itself (and fwiw, I've had experiences with medical practitioners where a problem got fixed, period, over and done...not where I had to keep coming back every few weeks and shelling out more money to get the problem "adjusted").


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 PM.