Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Neil_B
    Guest

    Sugoi Knee Socks - anyone try them?

    Anyone have any experience with these socks? They look like they might make a good alternate to knee or leg warmers.

    http://sugoi.com/item/86977/SUG94977U


  2. #2
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With "..benefits that were quantitatively verified at Hong Kong Polytechnic" how can you go wrong? I have some Sugoi shorts that are good quality stuff but no experience with the socks. I say "go for it."

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

  3. #3
    Senior Member Fantasminha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Reno, NV
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR, Scott CR1 Team, Fuji Newest 3.0
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno about the Sugois, but I wear the hubby's soccer knee-socks all the time. I find them super-comfy. I say go for it and let us know.
    2011 Surley Cross-Check "Meg" for touring
    2008 Giant FCR3 "Ginger" commuter
    2008 Fuji Newest 3.0 "Piccachu"
    2008 Scott CR1 Team "Calypso"
    2009 Dahon Echo foldie "Mimi"

  4. #4
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    With "..benefits that were quantitatively verified at Hong Kong Polytechnic" how can you go wrong? I have some Sugoi shorts that are good quality stuff but no experience with the socks. I say "go for it."
    They look a t***** dorky, but then again, so do I.

    I've thought about using them with tights. I find tights are great at keeping my 'gear' and upper legs warm, but my lower legs get cold.

  5. #5
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasminha View Post
    Dunno about the Sugois, but I wear the hubby's soccer knee-socks all the time. I find them super-comfy. I say go for it and let us know.
    That's a thirty dollar gamble.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Fantasminha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Reno, NV
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR, Scott CR1 Team, Fuji Newest 3.0
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, unfortunately I understand all too well. I didn't realize they were that expensive.
    2011 Surley Cross-Check "Meg" for touring
    2008 Giant FCR3 "Ginger" commuter
    2008 Fuji Newest 3.0 "Piccachu"
    2008 Scott CR1 Team "Calypso"
    2009 Dahon Echo foldie "Mimi"

  7. #7
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasminha View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately I understand all too well. I didn't realize they were that expensive.
    Considerably cheaper, although probably less high-tech, are these socks designed for dirt bikes:

    http://motorcyclesuperstore.com/2/6/...ding-Gear.aspx

    Just one example:


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
    Posts
    2,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather stick with knee warmers and tights. Those socks aren't dorkey they're fugly!!!!!
    Best thing about cycling is when I'm at work I'm thinking of cycling, when I'm cycling I'm thinking about cycling.

  9. #9
    Tilting with windmills txvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas 'Burbs
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A less expensive cycling specific alternative is the performance knee sock currently priced at $8.99 and generic black.

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1320

    I had thought about trying some of these but went with the leg warmer under the tights idea. That way I also have an option for when it's just a bit chilly and I want leg covering and don't want to wear the tights.

    Soccer socks may very well work. We have around , 2 dozen pairs all over the place around here. Unfortunately I couldn't get them over my calves if I used axle grease. Not to mention the kiddo would very unhappy with me if I tried, hehehe. Avoiding the wrath of the 18 yr old female off spring is second on my daily to do list, right after avoiding the wrath of the Spousal Unit.

    I have a few pair of the dirt bike socks as well. You need to be aware that these are very very thick since MX/Off Road boots are worn a bit too big to accomadate them. I doubt that if your current footwear fits appropriately that you would be able to comfortably wear a pair of these with them. They rock for cold weather camping though.

  10. #10
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seems redundant . My fleece lined, bibs keep my legs comfortable. The problem is with the feet, so why run bulky socks all the way up the leg..
    Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living






    ^ Since January 1, 2012

  11. #11
    Tilting with windmills txvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas 'Burbs
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot View Post
    Seems redundant . My fleece lined, bibs keep my legs comfortable. The problem is with the feet, so why run bulky socks all the way up the leg..

    Op stated he has a problem keeping his lower legs warm, but not the upper part of his legs. It may be realted to a circulation issue or some other issue, but if the lower legs are cold, cold is cold.

  12. #12
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by txvintage View Post
    A less expensive cycling specific alternative is the performance knee sock currently priced at $8.99 and generic black.

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1320

    I had thought about trying some of these but went with the leg warmer under the tights idea. That way I also have an option for when it's just a bit chilly and I want leg covering and don't want to wear the tights.

    Soccer socks may very well work. We have around , 2 dozen pairs all over the place around here. Unfortunately I couldn't get them over my calves if I used axle grease. Not to mention the kiddo would very unhappy with me if I tried, hehehe. Avoiding the wrath of the 18 yr old female off spring is second on my daily to do list, right after avoiding the wrath of the Spousal Unit.

    I have a few pair of the dirt bike socks as well. You need to be aware that these are very very thick since MX/Off Road boots are worn a bit too big to accomadate them. I doubt that if your current footwear fits appropriately that you would be able to comfortably wear a pair of these with them. They rock for cold weather camping though.
    Thanks for the tip. I routinely wear two pairs of socks in cold weather, so these Performance items probably will fit the bill.

  13. #13
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by txvintage View Post
    Op stated he has a problem keeping his lower legs warm, but not the upper part of his legs. It may be realted to a circulation issue or some other issue, but if the lower legs are cold, cold is cold.
    It's probably a result of not having as much 'meat' on the lower legs as the upper. Also, my lower legs move further when pedaling.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale Caad9-7/2009 BMC SLX01/2011 Marin Nail Trail 29er
    Posts
    1,715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...00-8-0#reviews

    i'm thinking of trying these, they are real tall but seem to have good moisture wicking material.

    and only 4.99 i have a gift card i'm gonna give em a try.

  15. #15
    Downtown Spanky Brown bautieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Camp Hill, Pennsyltucky
    My Bikes
    07 Raliegh Grand Sport 98ish Mongoose Manuever
    Posts
    2,099
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I don't have the knee socks I do have a pair of Sugoi ankle socks. They are remarkably comfortable and the seems don't bother my feet at all.

    Also, if a excerpt from my posts is to be used as a signature please fix my grammatical errors .

  16. #16
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,290
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like Sugoi... OTOH, few knee socks will go over my calves. Let us know
    how you like them. I like the idea, if you find the tops quite stretchy, I might try them.
    Your friendly, local, minor god of information.

  17. #17
    Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Posts
    3,761
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $30 is a very small price to pay for socks with "..benefits that were quantitatively verified at Hong Kong Polytechnic". With that kind of scientific credentials, I don't see how you can possibly hesitate!

    There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •