Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

View Poll Results: Rookie of the Year
MissBumble 28 53.85%
racethenation 1 1.92%
Jerry in So. Ill 5 9.62%
TechKnowGN 16 30.77%
BadKarma62 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-09, 07:43 PM   #1
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
Thread Starter
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rookie of the Year

Here's for the new folk
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline  
Old 01-02-09, 02:43 PM   #2
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
Thread Starter
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bump
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline  
Old 01-02-09, 02:59 PM   #3
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I voted. I almost demanded entry into the poll, but I only recently got back up above 200 (during the holidays). Most of my posting time here on BF has been as an unClyde.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 01-02-09, 07:06 PM   #4
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work
 
cyclokitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0
Posts: 2,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted!
__________________

cyclokitty is offline  
Old 01-04-09, 04:44 PM   #5
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Nice to see I'm not the only person who thinks TechKnowGN is pretty special.
 
Old 01-04-09, 05:00 PM   #6
bdinger
Chubby super biker
 
bdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nebraska
Bikes:
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
Nice to see I'm not the only person who thinks TechKnowGN is pretty special.
I'm in full agreement. What's great about this year is that ALL of the nominees are pretty dang special. All of them embody more drive and desire then the entirety of a Biggest Loser season.

Good work, rookies. Only downside is that you have to follow it up in year two
bdinger is offline  
Old 01-04-09, 07:57 PM   #7
txvintage
Tilting with windmills
 
txvintage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Texas 'Burbs
Bikes: Many
Posts: 4,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All of our polls have one thing in common in that while only one person will win, there are no losers. Every nominee is worthy of recognition.
txvintage is offline  
Old 01-05-09, 01:32 PM   #8
TechKnowGN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's amazing just to be nominated for anything at all, especially for something this cool. The more I read others histories, the more I am blown away by being honored by these same people. With 3 days left to go, I doubt I'll catch MissBumble, but I couldn't care in the least.
TechKnowGN is offline  
Old 01-05-09, 11:23 PM   #9
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdinger View Post
I'm in full agreement. What's great about this year is that ALL of the nominees are pretty dang special. All of them embody more drive and desire then the entirety of a Biggest Loser season.

Good work, rookies. Only downside is that you have to follow it up in year two
Ah, the dreaded second-year slump.
 
Old 01-06-09, 03:39 PM   #10
TechKnowGN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not me, I'm going to rock year two way harder than I did year one. I am close to posting my full workout plan for the first 1/3rd of the year. I've built a spreadsheet that shows the date, the planned workout, current weight, workout completed, and once I make a couple more changes, the total lost from the beginning of the year.

I'm also looking to maybe add the "points consumed" in regards to how many weight watchers points I ate that day to compare with the points expended completing the exercise listed. This should tell me how much my exercise is affecting my intake and my weight loss.
TechKnowGN is offline  
Old 01-06-09, 03:52 PM   #11
txvintage
Tilting with windmills
 
txvintage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Texas 'Burbs
Bikes: Many
Posts: 4,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechKnowGN View Post
Not me, I'm going to rock year two way harder than I did year one. I am close to posting my full workout plan for the first 1/3rd of the year. I've built a spreadsheet that shows the date, the planned workout, current weight, workout completed, and once I make a couple more changes, the total lost from the beginning of the year.

I'm also looking to maybe add the "points consumed" in regards to how many weight watchers points I ate that day to compare with the points expended completing the exercise listed. This should tell me how much my exercise is affecting my intake and my weight loss.
Tech, check out www.mapmyride.com it will give you some tools that will help in teh training log, and you can actually map out you regular rides as well as map out possible rides.
txvintage is offline  
Old 01-06-09, 11:28 PM   #12
TechKnowGN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txvintage View Post
Tech, check out www.mapmyride.com it will give you some tools that will help in teh training log, and you can actually map out you regular rides as well as map out possible rides.

I've been using bikely.com for my mappings, but I'll check this site out too. At this point with the weather the way it is, my cross training is expected to be 90% indoors until probably after the half-marathon in Feburary. Any time its warm enough and there isn't ice on the ground, I'll be on the bike on my crosstraining days. On days like today, where it's raining, cold, and icy; the crosstraining is in the gym, mostly on the eliptical which feels remarkably similar to biking. The exercise bike in our complexs' gym sucks
TechKnowGN is offline  
Old 01-08-09, 07:43 AM   #13
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechKnowGN View Post
I've been using bikely.com for my mappings, but I'll check this site out too. At this point with the weather the way it is, my cross training is expected to be 90% indoors until probably after the half-marathon in Feburary. Any time its warm enough and there isn't ice on the ground, I'll be on the bike on my crosstraining days. On days like today, where it's raining, cold, and icy; the crosstraining is in the gym, mostly on the eliptical which feels remarkably similar to biking. The exercise bike in our complexs' gym sucks
Most exercise bikes are pretty bad. I have a hard time going back after riding the 'real thing.'
 
Old 01-08-09, 08:18 AM   #14
TechKnowGN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This one is particularly bad. the seat wobbles horrible. I feel like i trying to balance on a seat that someone has attached to a cat.
TechKnowGN is offline  
Old 01-08-09, 03:45 PM   #15
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechKnowGN View Post
This one is particularly bad. the seat wobbles horrible. I feel like i trying to balance on a seat that someone has attached to a cat.
In my case, it's the usual problem of my knocked knees. I can't ride 'regular' pedals any longer. Last time I rode a spin bike I fell off it. I still have the scars on the back of my right leg from the pedal 'beartrapping' me.
 
Old 01-09-09, 06:47 AM   #16
TechKnowGN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
In my case, it's the usual problem of my knocked knees. I can't ride 'regular' pedals any longer. Last time I rode a spin bike I fell off it. I still have the scars on the back of my right leg from the pedal 'beartrapping' me.

OUCH! I know I'm going to fall off a bike at some point, I just hope its not any time soon.
TechKnowGN is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 AM.