Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Are U Strange Like Me, Am I Strange?

    Gina says I'm strange, a few others. When it comes to cycling equipment anyway, and a few others but we won't bring them up!

    We were out riding last week. It was a cold day for us Calies. Maybe in the 50's,ntohing severe. A rider at a waterstop looked at my fingers and asked,"aren't you cold?". He was looking at my beat up gloves. Many are cold with half fingered gloves, I don't think it was that bad. I told him, "I'm here to ride my bike, not look purty!"

    He just ok, and rode off!...Gina does think I'm strange though as I won't use my good stuff. I have new gloves but only used them 3 times, maybe. Also a new helmet ($140 Gyro Pneumo) but have only used it twice maybe. I jsut get into this thing where I don't want to beat up my good stuff. Others, like Gina will throw 'em on first ride and never look back!..I just can't do that!

    My more than worthy glove!

  2. #2
    Senior? Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    GMC Topkick mountain bike, Schwinn World Traveler, GMC Denali road bike
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's kind of like having a beater car, or a beater bike. If it works, why get a new one??

  3. #3
    Senior Member rdtompki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hollister, CA
    My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Posts
    3,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50 degrees is fine for fingerless gloves. One of the many advantages of Clyde-ness is the superior ratio of surface area to body mass. Great for keeping warm and toasty even on our frigid 50 degree NorCal mornings.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jtgyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Richardson TX
    Posts
    1,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're only now getting them broken in and comfortable!
    (kind of like the old shirt you"re wife keeps throwing in the trash or your favorite chair that you find on the curb)
    Hey, I'm just this GUY...you know?
    >>>Team Critical Mess<<< (You mean it's not SUPPOSE to hurt?)

    My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
    1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
    1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
    Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I look at it, why buy it if you aren't going to use it?

  6. #6
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtgyk View Post
    You're only now getting them broken in and comfortable!
    (kind of like the old shirt you"re wife keeps throwing in the trash or your favorite chair that you find on the curb)

    Ahhh, a man who understands!

  7. #7
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    The way I look at it, why buy it if you aren't going to use it?
    Umm I dunno, cool factor maybe!...So when others are standing around talking about equipment, I can say,"like dude, I like got a brand new Pneumo at home in the box".

  8. #8
    Senior Member rdtompki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hollister, CA
    My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Posts
    3,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't feel bad about your gloves and helmet. My Wife and I redid a master bathroom and the jacuzzi tub and glass-enclosed shower haven't been used in the two years since. Look too good to use so we use the small guest bathroom. I do get to brush my teeth over the sink, however. Women, can't live with 'em can't live without 'em.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

  9. #9
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Don't feel bad about your gloves and helmet. My Wife and I redid a master bathroom and the jacuzzi tub and glass-enclosed shower haven't been used in the two years since. Look too good to use so we use the small guest bathroom. I do get to brush my teeth over the sink, however. Women, can't live with 'em can't live without 'em.

    Might be part of my problem. When i was young, we'd travel 7 hours to visit my aunt and uncle. They had a model lving room. Beautiful but we weren't allowed to enter or sit on the furniture. Way back then I told myself, "when I get bike gloves, I 'm not going to get my good stuff dirty! All psychological I guess!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Nimitz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cooper City, Fl
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 R5
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    The way I look at it, why buy it if you aren't going to use it?
    I'm with you 100% if I'm going to buy the gear its damn well going to get used...I'm not one of those freaks who get all upset if they get a scratch on something. its a tool, use it.

    I find it hard to understand the "race" wheels vs "training" wheels as well. if they won't hold up in a training situation are they going to hold up in a race?

    Chad

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale Caad9-7/2009 BMC SLX01/2011 Marin Nail Trail 29er
    Posts
    1,715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use em dude, otherwise whats the point of buying em? I guess you can't sneak up on the weight weenies if you are wearing all pimped out gear.

    I guess i'm weird in a different way, I talk to my bike. Of course only nice talk.

  12. #12
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz87 View Post
    I find it hard to understand the "race" wheels vs "training" wheels as well. if they won't hold up in a training situation are they going to hold up in a race?

    I don't understand thatt one either! Plus too many times I've heard other riders suggest that I try thousand dollar race wheels and ditch my heavy Deep V's. I'm like dude, "you're struggling to suck MY wheel!"

  13. #13
    Senior Member jboyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Giant "Rainier"
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Lord Did you beat up a homeless guy for those things?

    I am just jealous. A couple weeks ago, I laid my Pearl Izumi's on the luggage rack on my Rainier when I finished riding. A couple days later, I hopped on the bike and took off to get some milk or something, and there is now some jackoff walking around with my gloves on (they had my name & number in them).
    http://www.homeairdirect.com Hey! It's What I Do

  14. #14
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd View Post
    Good Lord Did you beat up a homeless guy for those things?

    I am just jealous. A couple weeks ago, I laid my Pearl Izumi's on the luggage rack on my Rainier when I finished riding. A couple days later, I hopped on the bike and took off to get some milk or something, and there is now some jackoff walking around with my gloves on (they had my name & number in them).
    Don't you dare think about swiping mine MISTER!

  15. #15
    Senior Member Nimitz87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cooper City, Fl
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 R5
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    I don't understand thatt one either! Plus too many times I've heard other riders suggest that I try thousand dollar race wheels and ditch my heavy Deep V's. I'm like dude, "you're struggling to suck MY wheel!"
    well man around here its gear schwag galore. 99% of the bikes on a group ride are carbon, and the majority have deep carbon rims as well. I'm on a bone stock sans saddle/stem caad9 R5 and you should see the looks I get.

    I'm new, and people say I need to get new wheels, dura ace/record/red this...

    but back to your gloves...I forgot mine yesterday and didn't miss them at all surprisingly, only reason I stopped was my damn saddle making me go numb

    Chad

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    My Bikes
    Giant Sedona, vintage unknown. Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, vintage unknown.
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I am strange, but not like you, I am strange in a diferent way. And yes you are strange.

    I recently bought 4, count'em 4 new pairs of shoes. Regular shoes, not cycling shoes. I bought them because I needed new shoes. So far I have not worn any. I refuse to wear them around the house and for yard work when they're so new. And I was gonna wear a pair for work today.... but it was raining. Can't start them out on a rainy day either. See? Strange but different.

    But for cycling gear? Don't buy it if you don't need it. If you buy it, use it!

  17. #17
    Unky
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    My Bikes
    2001 DB Response, '08 Stolen Wrap
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the same crap from friends and family who have bought me new things. For example for Xmas I got new gloves, helmet, shorts, and some other stuff.

    I'm waiting until i kill my current gear before i start wearing the "good" stuff. And it's motivation to get to peddling

  18. #18
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd View Post
    Good Lord Did you beat up a homeless guy for those things?
    Oh, you're talking about my buddy Denny! Nah, we don't fight, I paid for them!

  19. #19
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DelusionalDude View Post
    Yes I am strange, but not like you, I am strange in a diferent way. And yes you are strange.

    I recently bought 4, count'em 4 new pairs of shoes. Regular shoes, not cycling shoes. I bought them because I needed new shoes. So far I have not worn any. I refuse to wear them around the house and for yard work when they're so new. And I was gonna wear a pair for work today.... but it was raining. Can't start them out on a rainy day either. See? Strange but different.

    But for cycling gear? Don't buy it if you don't need it. If you buy it, use it!
    Hahaha! Samething here too, not just cycling. I'll get a new pair of sneakers and not wear them for a year!

  20. #20
    I Ride, Therefore I Am BigUgly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central, PA via Philthadelphia
    Posts
    490
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are not strange nor wierd...we are....unique!

  21. #21
    Senior Member cod.peace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    eastern Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    Rans V-Rex
    Posts
    999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    We were out riding last week. It was a cold day for us Calies. Maybe in the 50's,ntohing severe. A rider at a waterstop looked at my fingers and asked,"aren't you cold?". He was looking at my beat up gloves. Many are cold with half fingered gloves, I don't think it was that bad. I told him, "I'm here to ride my bike, not look purty!"
    1/2 finger gloves are good until it's below 40. My new cold weather biking gloves are nice with full fingers, full palm/fingers leather covering, and they cost $9 at Home Depot. No special padding necessary on a recumbent.

    Since I live in a very small apartment, if I'm not going to use something until it falls to pieces, I don't buy it - otherwise I'll just trip over piles of useless crap. I trip over the kid's toys enough!
    old steel Specialized Hardrock

  22. #22
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,322
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtgyk View Post
    You're only now getting them broken in and comfortable!
    (kind of like the old shirt you"re wife keeps throwing in the trash or your favorite chair that you find on the curb)
    There's a crisp line between broken in and worn out.

    I guess I'm the weirdo, because I've got a sack full of old vendor schwag and race t-shirts that I use as shop rags.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  23. #23
    Strong with the Fred Big_e's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    969
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's wrong with that glove Mr. Beanz? That still has some good miles in it. I got new gloves still in their packs but I'm gonna use my favorite leather weight training gloves until they fall off my hands. I can't find gloves as good as my old weight trainers anymore and they already saved my skin once.
    Ernest
    I love pho long time.

  24. #24
    MnD
    MnD is offline
    Senior Member MnD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Warrington, PA
    My Bikes
    Trek
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to a previous thread, I thought Gina took all of your new stuff, and you were stuck with the old...so which is it?

  25. #25
    Not safe for work cyclokitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0
    Posts
    2,079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband does something similar. He doesn't want to use up the good stuff when there is still like in the older stuff. I think that goes fine when it comes to milk, but not his new barely touched laptop, or his new barely used Gore-tex jacket, and any other assortment of new barely touched stuff (like birthday or Christmas presents he opens carefully and puts on a shelf). Makes me nuts. If I'm buying a replacement, I'm using the replacement, and the old thing gets sent to a new home or trash.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •