Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Opus PATH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North of City
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Cross Concept, Bianchi Axis, Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Roubaix, Miyata Sportsrunner, Trek T1 Track Bike, Specialized CrossTrail Expert, Specialized Tricross Comp Triple
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Specialized Crosstrail pops 2nd spoke in a week!

    Went back to the bike store several times with this bike. The stock tires were not the best and I kept getting flats. Any little thing was getting through the tire to the tubes. Rear wheel spoke broke twice this week. LBS giving me a steep discount on a more strongly built wheel. I am just going with it in the rear and will see how this works out.

    I solved the flatting out with Slime tubes. The wheel itself throwing a spoke was not so easily remedied!

    So uber-clydes this may not be a stock solution for you. Nice bike but you have to put some money into it to make it up to snuff. Just my experience with this bike.

    Anyone else have any issues with this bike?
    Go raibh an chóir ghaoithe i gcónaí liom!

    2007 Specialized Tricross Comp Triple, 2007 Trek T1, 2006 Specialized Roubaix
    2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1989 Miyata Sportrunner, 2006 Bianchi Axis, 2008 Specialized Crosstrail Expert







    Lullaby Of Foo

    Now I lay me down to sleep
    Keep my bike safe from the bicycle thief
    Keep my tootsies toasty warm
    keep my carbon from any harm

    Good Night Road Bike
    Good Night Moutain Bike
    Good night all you Foosters
    And good night Moon

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet after you pop the first spoke its easier to pop further spokes.

  3. #3
    Opus PATH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North of City
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Cross Concept, Bianchi Axis, Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Roubaix, Miyata Sportsrunner, Trek T1 Track Bike, Specialized CrossTrail Expert, Specialized Tricross Comp Triple
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kylejack View Post
    I bet after you pop the first spoke its easier to pop further spokes.
    I had the first one fixed. This was a new one.
    Go raibh an chóir ghaoithe i gcónaí liom!

    2007 Specialized Tricross Comp Triple, 2007 Trek T1, 2006 Specialized Roubaix
    2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1989 Miyata Sportrunner, 2006 Bianchi Axis, 2008 Specialized Crosstrail Expert







    Lullaby Of Foo

    Now I lay me down to sleep
    Keep my bike safe from the bicycle thief
    Keep my tootsies toasty warm
    keep my carbon from any harm

    Good Night Road Bike
    Good Night Moutain Bike
    Good night all you Foosters
    And good night Moon

  4. #4
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe a lousy mechanic? I've paid big bucks to shop guys not willing to set the spokes at proper tension rather than just replacing and truing the wheel.

    I'm not an uber clyde and have had this problem several times on all models. It's ez but shop guys avoid the WORK. I think they are actually scrared to do it, unsure of their sklills.

    If you are an uber and they don't properly service the new wheel, you're in for more of the same....They pulled that carp on me at 240.

    Get some good tires like Specialized Armadillos. THey are heavy but super stiff and thick. I had them on our tandem, combined weight of over 400 lbs. No flat, no pinching. The suckers pretty much stand in the center of the room on their own. By far the toughest tire I've seen in my 13 years of riding. A little heavy if you're racing, but are you!

  5. #5
    Opus PATH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North of City
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Cross Concept, Bianchi Axis, Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Roubaix, Miyata Sportsrunner, Trek T1 Track Bike, Specialized CrossTrail Expert, Specialized Tricross Comp Triple
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the armadillos on my Roubaix and Tricross, They don't make them for the Crosstrail. As for racing.....only with the Moon!
    Go raibh an chóir ghaoithe i gcónaí liom!

    2007 Specialized Tricross Comp Triple, 2007 Trek T1, 2006 Specialized Roubaix
    2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1989 Miyata Sportrunner, 2006 Bianchi Axis, 2008 Specialized Crosstrail Expert







    Lullaby Of Foo

    Now I lay me down to sleep
    Keep my bike safe from the bicycle thief
    Keep my tootsies toasty warm
    keep my carbon from any harm

    Good Night Road Bike
    Good Night Moutain Bike
    Good night all you Foosters
    And good night Moon

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Posts
    1,371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to pop spokes on my Specialized FSR XC all the time. I broke a spoke every time I went for a ride. It was getting pretty annoying. I had the wheel rebuilt with a beefy rim and Swiss DT spokes. It's been great ever since.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    5,155
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Maybe a lousy mechanic? I've paid big bucks to shop guys not willing to set the spokes at proper tension rather than just replacing and truing the wheel.

    I'm not an uber clyde and have had this problem several times on all models. It's ez but shop guys avoid the WORK. I think they are actually scrared to do it, unsure of their sklills.
    Agree with Beanz on this one: having a competent wheel builder true the wheel and correctly set the spoke tension may go a long way toward fixing the problems! Are the shop guys checking the tension on each spoke using something like a Park TM-1? How much does the tension vary from spoke to spoke?

  8. #8
    S E Michigan
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    431
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a UBER ?????? I know i should know this and many other temrs used here but I don't

  9. #9
    Arsehole PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Maybe a lousy mechanic? I've paid big bucks to shop guys not willing to set the spokes at proper tension rather than just replacing and truing the wheel.

    I'm not an uber clyde and have had this problem several times on all models. It's ez but shop guys avoid the WORK. I think they are actually scrared to do it, unsure of their sklills.

    If you are an uber and they don't properly service the new wheel, you're in for more of the same....They pulled that carp on me at 240.

    Get some good tires like Specialized Armadillos. THey are heavy but super stiff and thick. I had them on our tandem, combined weight of over 400 lbs. No flat, no pinching. The suckers pretty much stand in the center of the room on their own. By far the toughest tire I've seen in my 13 years of riding. A little heavy if you're racing, but are you!
    That's a little unfair...

    If someone breaks a spoke, odds are that the other spokes are just about as weak as the one that broke. So you put a new spoke in the wheel and retension it. There's still a good chance another spoke is going to pop; the first one broke, didn't it? If you're a clyde and you break a spoke, just plan right there on getting a new, stronger wheel.

    Also, the #1 reason for broken spokes that I've seen is people riding like lifeless lumps of putty. If you're a clyde and you just sit your arse on your bike and don't ever raise up off of the saddle, then yeah....you're going to break spokes.

    Me, I'm 320 pounds and ride low spoke-count road wheels. I also had a set of Run RPMs from the late 90s....XC MTB wheels with "race only" light rims, and 2.0-1.5-2.0 spokes. I jumped with those wheels, I dropped off of things with those wheels. I've never broken a spoke in my life. Honestly, I fully believe that weight has less to do with spoke breakage than technique does.

  10. #10
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes View Post
    What is a UBER ?????? I know i should know this and many other temrs used here but I don't
    Uber-clyde is a fellow over 300 pounds.

  11. #11
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post

    If someone breaks a spoke, odds are that the other spokes are just about as weak as the one that broke. So you put a new spoke in the wheel and retension it. There's still a good chance another spoke is going to pop; the first one broke, didn't it? If you're a clyde and you break a spoke, just plan right there on getting a new, stronger wheel.

    Also, the #1 reason for broken spokes that I've seen is people riding like lifeless lumps of putty. If you're a clyde and you just sit your arse on your bike and don't ever raise up off of the saddle, then yeah....you're going to break spokes.
    On a brand new bike? Means the mechanic didn't set up the bike proeperly, doesn't it? He let it out of the shop with dangerously low tension. His fault , I would think.

    And that's bull about getting a new stronger wheel. I'v paid big bicks for builders to build a wheel. Velocity Deep V with 32 DT swiss 3X. The thing didn't last 40 miles. I took it bakc and the guy said to bring it back after 3 months. I coldn't even ride the wheel wiht a closed brake caliper. No, there are just too many sorry wheelguys!

    Built my own and have over 16000 miles on it and haven't trued it after the initial 300 mile retension.

    I wonder how many miles you have on the low spoke count road wheels? I know plenty of riders that state they have HAD them for 3 years but usualy turns out they haven't been on the bike for over a year!

    I know plenty of 220 lb guys that can't get more than a year (5000 miles) out of expensive sets. Mavic Ksyriums (cracked arond the nips).

  12. #12
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sstorkel View Post
    Agree with Beanz on this one: having a competent wheel builder true the wheel and correctly set the spoke tension may go a long way toward fixing the problems! Are the shop guys checking the tension on each spoke using something like a Park TM-1? How much does the tension vary from spoke to spoke?

    I know some guys are good builders, but that depends on if they are feeling like undependable morons on that day.

    I had a wheel built for my tandem 48 Deep V with DT swiss spokes. Should have done it myself but trusted the pros as the tandem shop. Broke a spoke after 100 miles.

    Took it back and without notice,the shop sold to another outfit. Shop was closed for a couple of months! I replaced it then broke another 40. I inspected the wheel only to find the spokes breaking were no name POS spokes he subbed, must have run short on the spokes I ordered and payed for!

    I replaced the spokes, then loosened and retensioned everything myself. Nomore broken spokes in over 1000 miles. I should have done it myslef but trustd the pros since it was a tandem wheel!

  13. #13
    SWorker
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Half Moon Bay, CA
    My Bikes
    07' S-Works Roubaix all Campy & Roval Red Stars, 07' Kona Major Jake, 07' Specialized Stumpjumper Expert, 04' Klein Attitude V hardtail
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The armadillos are the best. I had an issue like this with a mountain bike, just keep getting flats. The shop finally re-ran the tape on the inside of the rim and trashed the tire, so I got a brand new tire, re-taped rim and new tube and no more flats since.

    I road 4k in 2008 and got 2 flats with Armadillos on both my cycle-cross (kona Major Jake) and road (Specialized S-Works Roubaix)

  14. #14
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,655
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience is that flats are pretty erratic anyway. You can go 6 months without any, then have 3 in a week, then go without any for a while. It doesn't always mean anything.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  15. #15
    Arsehole PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    On a brand new bike? Means the mechanic didn't set up the bike proeperly, doesn't it? He let it out of the shop with dangerously low tension. His fault , I would think.

    And that's bull about getting a new stronger wheel. I'v paid big bicks for builders to build a wheel. Velocity Deep V with 32 DT swiss 3X. The thing didn't last 40 miles. I took it bakc and the guy said to bring it back after 3 months. I coldn't even ride the wheel wiht a closed brake caliper. No, there are just too many sorry wheelguys!

    Built my own and have over 16000 miles on it and haven't trued it after the initial 300 mile retension.

    I wonder how many miles you have on the low spoke count road wheels? I know plenty of riders that state they have HAD them for 3 years but usualy turns out they haven't been on the bike for over a year!

    I know plenty of 220 lb guys that can't get more than a year (5000 miles) out of expensive sets. Mavic Ksyriums (cracked arond the nips).
    That happens no matter how much the rider weighs. We've had 160 pound guys bring those wheels in with cracked rims.

    I had a set of Reynolds Alta wheels with about 3000 miles on them. Not many, I know, but I never even trued them. The Sun RPM wheels had about 10,000 miles of off and on road use before I sold them.

    I didn't notice that the spoke problem was on a new bike.

    I'll just leave this one alone though, cuz you obviously have issues with shops and mechanics. Couldn't possibly be a crap wheel on a new Specialized, a bad set of spokes, or any such thing.... Gotta be the mechanic.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    5,155
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    If someone breaks a spoke, odds are that the other spokes are just about as weak as the one that broke. So you put a new spoke in the wheel and retension it. There's still a good chance another spoke is going to pop; the first one broke, didn't it? If you're a clyde and you break a spoke, just plan right there on getting a new, stronger wheel.
    I will, respectfully, disagree with this opinion. I've seen more bikes than I care to admit roll off the showroom floor with brand-new wheels that are in poor condition. Spoke tension, in particular, seems to be something that many mechanics neglect to check when they're assembling a bike. I guess they receive the wheels pre-assembled and assume that they perfect. Sadly, many low- to mid-range wheels could use some attention... especially if the rider is a Clydesdale!

  17. #17
    Arsehole PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sstorkel View Post
    I will, respectfully, disagree with this opinion. I've seen more bikes than I care to admit roll off the showroom floor with brand-new wheels that are in poor condition. Spoke tension, in particular, seems to be something that many mechanics neglect to check when they're assembling a bike. I guess they receive the wheels pre-assembled and assume that they perfect. Sadly, many low- to mid-range wheels could use some attention... especially if the rider is a Clydesdale!
    I guess I'm writing from my experience and that doesn't mesh well with the experiences of some of the rest of you. In MY experience, I have never seen a bike leave our shop and then return within a year with a broken spoke. In fact, the only broken spokes we see much of at all are on Wal-Mart bikes. Every once in a while a Cat 2 guy or a Masters guy will come in with a broken spoke, but it just isn't a problem I have personally seen.

    And I thought everyone knew that you had to tension and true the wheels on new bikes; especially those in the $1000 and under range. The machines seem to not be able to tension wheels correctly. I honestly can't imagine a shop putting a bike on the floor with the wheels untouched. I don't think even our sloppiest competitor would do that..... Guess it's different in other parts of the country.

  18. #18
    Opus PATH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North of City
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Cross Concept, Bianchi Axis, Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Roubaix, Miyata Sportsrunner, Trek T1 Track Bike, Specialized CrossTrail Expert, Specialized Tricross Comp Triple
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what I am learning her is that if I want a good wheel I am going to have to learn to do it myself.

    PlatyPius, I can assure you that I raise my sorry posterior off the seat quite often!
    Go raibh an chóir ghaoithe i gcónaí liom!

    2007 Specialized Tricross Comp Triple, 2007 Trek T1, 2006 Specialized Roubaix
    2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1989 Miyata Sportrunner, 2006 Bianchi Axis, 2008 Specialized Crosstrail Expert







    Lullaby Of Foo

    Now I lay me down to sleep
    Keep my bike safe from the bicycle thief
    Keep my tootsies toasty warm
    keep my carbon from any harm

    Good Night Road Bike
    Good Night Moutain Bike
    Good night all you Foosters
    And good night Moon

  19. #19
    Senior Member jjbod1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dacula,Ga
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem with my Fuji Newest that was bought brand new last winter. Was poping rear spokes every two weeks. I finally had to demand a new rim from the shop I bought it from. The owner keep trying to hint in a nice way that it was my size. I knew it was a bad wheel. I did get a new wheel for free, have not had a issue with it yet.

  20. #20
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    I honestly can't imagine a shop putting a bike on the floor with the wheels untouched. I don't think even our sloppiest competitor would do that..... Guess it's different in other parts of the country.
    Not to take it out on you personally, but like you say, different part of the country I guess!... But I've bought bikes from local high end shops where the rear wheel won't roll cause it's wedged up agains the pads, it's so untrue. Another loose BB. And these ar the highend guys!

    Evertyin ther was a problem, I banged the bike on the sales counter, I don't know how to shift gears, I weigh too much. One time they couldn't blame me was when the mechanic crunched my new frame in the workstand.

    The one time I did have a mechanic ask me to let him work on the wheels was at Supergo before they were Performance. And the other guys rag on them!

    I've tipped guys $30 on $50 jobs only to later find out they botched the job!

    Where do you live, I'll move there!

    I've named the shops and carpy service on the forums before but their racer buds whine about it! I only think it's fair since they are rec'ing business online for their friends! I consider it saving some locals a few headaches!

  21. #21
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PATH View Post
    So what I am learning her is that if I want a good wheel I am going to have to learn to do it myself.

    PlatyPius, I can assure you that I raise my sorry posterior off the seat quite often!
    There is always one guy that does a great job everytime. But he's hard to find! I only go to him for BB service since I don't have the tools. Everything else is a do-it-yerselfer!

    I've found Deep V rims on sale for $25 in the past. Used a hub from another wheel. $50, great and inexpensive wheel. Someshops have charged me $100 for labor alone!

  22. #22
    Opus PATH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North of City
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Cross Concept, Bianchi Axis, Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Roubaix, Miyata Sportsrunner, Trek T1 Track Bike, Specialized CrossTrail Expert, Specialized Tricross Comp Triple
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. I give this one shop tons of business and on this bike I feel I am getting hosed. Everyone gets a first time but if it continues I'll go spend elsewhere. Just that simple.

    I am getting to the point where at times I find it hard to believe anyone at a bike shop!
    Go raibh an chóir ghaoithe i gcónaí liom!

    2007 Specialized Tricross Comp Triple, 2007 Trek T1, 2006 Specialized Roubaix
    2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1989 Miyata Sportrunner, 2006 Bianchi Axis, 2008 Specialized Crosstrail Expert







    Lullaby Of Foo

    Now I lay me down to sleep
    Keep my bike safe from the bicycle thief
    Keep my tootsies toasty warm
    keep my carbon from any harm

    Good Night Road Bike
    Good Night Moutain Bike
    Good night all you Foosters
    And good night Moon

  23. #23
    Opus PATH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North of City
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Cross Concept, Bianchi Axis, Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Roubaix, Miyata Sportsrunner, Trek T1 Track Bike, Specialized CrossTrail Expert, Specialized Tricross Comp Triple
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel a whole lot better. The bike shop will set me up with a new rear wheel at cost and will fix and return the wheel with the broken spoke. Works for me and makes me happy!
    Go raibh an chóir ghaoithe i gcónaí liom!

    2007 Specialized Tricross Comp Triple, 2007 Trek T1, 2006 Specialized Roubaix
    2006 Bianchi Cross Concept, 1989 Miyata Sportrunner, 2006 Bianchi Axis, 2008 Specialized Crosstrail Expert







    Lullaby Of Foo

    Now I lay me down to sleep
    Keep my bike safe from the bicycle thief
    Keep my tootsies toasty warm
    keep my carbon from any harm

    Good Night Road Bike
    Good Night Moutain Bike
    Good night all you Foosters
    And good night Moon

  24. #24
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,155
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He's a fellow Hoosier, I am pretty sure, Beanz. You'd have to get used to snow and subzero temps, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Not to take it out on you personally, but like you say, different part of the country I guess!... But I've bought bikes from local high end shops where the rear wheel won't roll cause it's wedged up agains the pads, it's so untrue. Another loose BB. And these ar the highend guys!

    Evertyin ther was a problem, I banged the bike on the sales counter, I don't know how to shift gears, I weigh too much. One time they couldn't blame me was when the mechanic crunched my new frame in the workstand.

    The one time I did have a mechanic ask me to let him work on the wheels was at Supergo before they were Performance. And the other guys rag on them!

    I've tipped guys $30 on $50 jobs only to later find out they botched the job!

    Where do you live, I'll move there!

    I've named the shops and carpy service on the forums before but their racer buds whine about it! I only think it's fair since they are rec'ing business online for their friends! I consider it saving some locals a few headaches!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  25. #25
    Arsehole PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    He's a fellow Hoosier, I am pretty sure, Beanz. You'd have to get used to snow and subzero temps, though.
    Yup. Just south of you a bit.

    I've been in the business around here for a while now, and I've never heard of problems like these around here. I've heard nothing but good things about Hodson's Bay up by Stormcrowe, and mostly good things about all of the shops in Indy. There is, of course, one shop that has a pretty poor reputation - there always is. They are a Bicycle Supermarket, if you know what I mean. I applied for a job there many years ago...back in '97 or so. The owner's wife told me I was too fat to work there. For those who live in the Indy area, the bike shop in question is usually referred to by 3 letters (and it isn't ICS).

    The place mentioned above tends to hire 'less skilled' and 'less experienced' mechanics, so I guess I can see how some shops could indeed push bikes out the door without having been built properly. I just get defensive when someone goes off on bike mechanics. I try to take care of my customers and give them more than they pay for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •