Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-09, 02:48 PM   #1
jesspal
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Tire Mileage?

How many miles can i expect to get out of a cheap pair of tires? They are vittoria rubino's, the stock tire that came on my caad9, they have a flat spot that is expected from riding. This is my first road bike and I am not sure what exactly to look or. The tires have about 766 miles, and I weigh 280.

How flat of a strip is to flat?

I have a brand new pair of conti gp 4000's that i got from PBK for 48 bucks(a set), that I can throw on when needed.
jesspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 04:25 PM   #2
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got about 1200 out of the stock tires that came with my caad9, Maxxis tires, and I weighed anywhere between 295 and 315. I rode them until I saw wires.
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 04:27 PM   #3
jesspal
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
OK, I guess i'm just eager to put the new tires on to see how they ride. I'll ride these until i see wires.
jesspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 04:39 PM   #4
sojourn
Senior Member
 
sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Marcos, CA
Bikes: Madone 6.2
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your life is worth more than a tire.
Don't fool around with tires, you only have two of them and they are both needed! Us heavier guys go through tires much quicker then the light-weights......it's just the cost of doing business as it were......
Just sayen...........
sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 04:54 PM   #5
jesspal
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn View Post
Your life is worth more than a tire.
Don't fool around with tires, you only have two of them and they are both needed! Us heavier guys go through tires much quicker then the light-weights......it's just the cost of doing business as it were......
Just sayen...........
Ok so what are you saying, sorry i'm confused. Should I change them or not? I don't see any wires, just normal wear from what my LBS told me. When are you suggesting I change the tires?
jesspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 05:19 PM   #6
Mazama
Bikezilla
 
Mazama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flori-Duh
Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess it depends on the road conditions. I'm 340 and I expect at LEAST 2,000 out of them (at least he rear) I got nearly 4,000 out of a Bontrager.
Mazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 05:19 PM   #7
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesspal View Post
How many miles can i expect to get out of a cheap pair of tires? They are vittoria rubino's, the stock tire that came on my caad9, they have a flat spot that is expected from riding. This is my first road bike and I am not sure what exactly to look or. The tires have about 766 miles, and I weigh 280.

How flat of a strip is to flat?

I have a brand new pair of conti gp 4000's that i got from PBK for 48 bucks(a set), that I can throw on when needed.
There are five indicators when it's time to change out tires:

1) If your starting to get more flats, even though riding conditions haven't changed.
2) If you see the cords, the tire should be changed out, immediately.
3) Bulges in the side wall, it indicates a weak spot.
4) Delamination, where the tread seems to be coming away from the rest of the tire.
5) Larger splits and cuts in the tire...

Usually the rear tire wears quicker then the front tire, so they don't need to be changed at the same time. usually a front tire lasts two to three times what a rear one does. What many riders do, is they put the front tire with very little wear on it, on the rear, then put a new tire on the front, this makes it much less likely that you will get a blowout on the front, because the tire is practically new. Never put a worn rear tire on the front, a blowout of a front tire will ruin your day.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 05:46 PM   #8
jesspal
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks that makes it easy to understand.
jesspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 06:23 PM   #9
sojourn
Senior Member
 
sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Marcos, CA
Bikes: Madone 6.2
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
There are five indicators when it's time to change out tires:

1) If your starting to get more flats, even though riding conditions haven't changed.
2) If you see the cords, the tire should be changed out, immediately.
3) Bulges in the side wall, it indicates a weak spot.
4) Delamination, where the tread seems to be coming away from the rest of the tire.
5) Larger splits and cuts in the tire...

Usually the rear tire wears quicker then the front tire, so they don't need to be changed at the same time. usually a front tire lasts two to three times what a rear one does. What many riders do, is they put the front tire with very little wear on it, on the rear, then put a new tire on the front, this makes it much less likely that you will get a blowout on the front, because the tire is practically new. Never put a worn rear tire on the front, a blowout of a front tire will ruin your day.
Couldn't have put it better myself!
In addition, I look for the tire "crown" flattening out. If the tire (looking at it from the side) doesn't have a round/radius look or feel to it, then it's time to replace. I get two rear tire changes to one front tire change on average. Mileage is not a good indicator to go by IMHO when it comes to tires.
sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 07:39 PM   #10
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
+1 to what Wog said. Perfect.
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 07:21 AM   #11
atcfoody
Senior Member
 
atcfoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In school again.
Bikes: Trek 7200fx, Surly LHT
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
+1 to what Wog said. Perfect.
I completely agree. I got 1200 miles out of the original set of tires on my caad 5 while weighing in at 235ish. I got 2500 out of the original set of bontragers on my 7200 (wider tires, different style bike).
Personally, I look at replacing tires with a bit of pride; I wore them out.

D
atcfoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 08:18 AM   #12
George
Senior Member
 
George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Katy Texas
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 5,390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've got 3500 miles on Continental 4/season and I weight 205# and they really don't show much wear.
__________________
George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 09:19 AM   #13
Ranger63
Senior Member
 
Ranger63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: western new york
Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Tire Mileage

I used Vittoria Rubinos on the Paramount for several years. Got an easy 1700 on em (seasons worth of riding )
I've got Vredesteins on there now. Getting about the same.
More xpensive arn't always better.

"Retirement is when you stop living at work and start working at living"
Ranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 12:52 PM   #14
IceNine
El Duderino
 
IceNine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes: 84 Raleigh Portage, 83 Trek 620
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
jesspal: it doesn't sound as though you need to change tires now. However, in my experience a nice tire can improve your riding experience as much as a good saddle. The Continental 4000s would probably give you a very nice ride.
IceNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 04:46 PM   #15
stevel610 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Valley Forge: Birthplace of Freedom
Bikes:
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just change them out and save the old ones in case you get sidewall damage. It's fun to try new things on your bike.
stevel610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 05:07 PM   #16
jesspal
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami, FL
Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
Posts: 1,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel610 View Post
Just change them out and save the old ones in case you get sidewall damage. It's fun to try new things on your bike.
I agree I may change for the fun of it, I have a century coming up at the end of the month and wonder if these will have a better ride than my current tires.
jesspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 PM.