My friend really wants to get into cycling to lose weight and improve fitness but he's afraid that he's too big for it. At present, he's 6"4 and 340 lbs. I really want to help him get started. I am an avid cyclist myself and a bit of wrench, so I can help him put a bike together if necessary. Budget is of concern and he would like to stay under $1000. I would love to hear some ideas from you guys:
1. Should he go for a complete a bike? If so, any specific brand/model that will be good given his height/weight?
2. If build one is an better option, please suggest some brand/models for frame/fork/wheel/seat/etc.
3. Is there an hybrid option, meaning replacing key components on an complete bike? Would that be cost effective?
4. What should I pay attentions to when I go bike shopping with him?
5. Is there a clyde friendly bike shop around the Washington DC area?
I did some search already on the forum and couldn't quite find all the answers. Thanks in advance.