Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Aurora, CO
Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO or Redline 925
I'm looking at going single speed for my commute. At the moment the choice is between the Redline 925
and the Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO
. My questions are in bold below.
I'm pretty keen on the 925, that's one slick looking bike (although I much prefer last year's red to this year's green).
But there are a few problems:
1) It's more expensive
2) I'm 6'5" with a 35.5" inseam (no shoes). I'm not sure the biggest frame would fit me. Anyone tall ride this bike? Does it fit you well?
3) Four bolt crank-arm - in case I want to change the chainring.
4) Although the bullhorn bars look really cool I really prefer the drop handlebars for comfort of the Moto.
5) The gearing is just a bit high I think for my 10 mile commute with some hills (800 feet total gain).
6) Can't fit my studded tires on it for winter riding.
The alternative is the Motobecane Fanotm Cross UNO:
The downsides to the Moto are:
1) No fenders (easily remedied).
2) Don't like the brake levers on the flats only, will probably cost at least $50 to fix (normal levers, cross levers, more cable, etc.).
3) Wheels. Does anyone have experience with this Jalco wheelset for a 200 lbs person?
4) Tires. I've got a road only commute and would buy new tires.
Thanks for your input.