Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Cycling cut shorts without a chamois pad? (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/540741-cycling-cut-shorts-without-chamois-pad.html)

vXhanz 05-12-09 06:41 AM

Cycling cut shorts without a chamois pad?
 
I was wondering if anyone knows of a cycling specific short without a chamois pad.

After having a serious bought with saddle sores I took Bau's advice and tried some cheap underarmour shorts. To my surprise I had no sores at all, and the ride in my Brook's Imperial was still comfortable. The underarmour shorts are great, with the exception of the seam running right down the middle.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks,

V

txvintage 05-12-09 06:48 AM

I know you can get tights that are unlined but I'm not sure about shorts that are bike specific.

Best bet may be to drop in a Sports Authority or Academy Sport store and check the running section.

Neil_B 05-12-09 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vXhanz (Post 8901903)
I was wondering if anyone knows of a cycling specific short without a chamois pad.

After having a serious bought with saddle sores I took Bau's advice and tried some cheap underarmour shorts. To my surprise I had no sores at all, and the ride in my Brook's Imperial was still comfortable. The underarmour shorts are great, with the exception of the seam running right down the middle.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks,

V

Ask on the Touring Forum. There are a LOT of folks there who ride unpadded, and ride long distances.

Since you have a Long Haul Trucker, they'll let you post there. :)

racethenation 05-12-09 08:47 AM

You might also look at Triathlon shorts.

Al Criner 05-12-09 04:12 PM

http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=22-995

vXhanz 05-13-09 04:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it. I'll take a look at the tri shorts and that link to rivbikes as well.

Thanks again!

V

bautieri 05-13-09 05:53 AM

Heres a stupid suggestion, why not turn the shorts with the seam inside out and wear gym shorts over them. this will give you a chance to determin 100% wether it was the seam in the shorts that gave you the trouble.

Jess sayin

vXhanz 05-13-09 07:14 AM

No suggestion is stupid, unless it requires me to ride naked... then THAT would be a stupid suggestion :)

V

bautieri 05-13-09 07:28 AM

Considering the cut out in your Brooks Imperial, yes it would be unless you intend to have a DIY vasectomy.

Neil_B 05-13-09 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bautieri (Post 8909268)
Considering the cut out in your Brooks Imperial, yes it would be unless you intend to have a DYI vasectomy.

I'm afraid to ride naked. The last thing I need is to have something get caught in the chain.

bautieri 05-13-09 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Historian (Post 8909314)
I'm afraid to ride naked. The last thing I need is to have something get caught in the chain.

Might pull you even further to the left :lol:

Neil_B 05-13-09 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bautieri (Post 8909908)
Might pull you even further to the left :lol:

The chain was on the right last time I checked my bike. :)

DieselDan 05-13-09 09:32 AM

You can get cycling short with a seamless pad. All of mine are seamless up the middle. Some thin chamois tri shorts would work.

Shimagnolo 05-13-09 09:37 AM

I have a pair of shorts that look just like lycra bike shorts, but have no chamois.
The brand is "Hind".
I picked them up some years back when I was heavily into rollerblading.
You might check to see if they still make them.

bautieri 05-13-09 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Historian (Post 8909998)
The chain was on the right last time I checked my bike. :)

Doesn't matter which side the drive train is on when the pendulum starts a swinging. Just be careful not to get it caught in your spokes.

cod.peace 05-13-09 12:36 PM

Rowing shorts - popular amongst the 'bent crowd. http://www.regattasport.com/products/view/29/c:1


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 PM.