Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Non-Brooks saddle with same width? (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/542968-non-brooks-saddle-same-width.html)

ochizon 05-18-09 07:59 PM

Non-Brooks saddle with same width?
 
Hi guys,

I have always ridden a Brooks saddle (b17). I have tried other saddles that seem as wide, but ultimately I have found nothing as wide as the brooks to saddle my wide butt.

I just bought a more modern style bike, and would like a different look for the saddle, but need it feel right!

Any suggestions?

Tom Stormcrowe 05-18-09 10:35 PM

why would you even want to move away from a Brooks?

ochizon 05-19-09 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe (Post 8943444)
why would you even want to move away from a Brooks?

Honestly? aesthetics. Just wanted a different look.

Dont get me wrong, if it needs to be a Brooks, a Brooks it will be.

Function>form

rmwun54 05-19-09 10:34 AM

How about this. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=42055&eid=348

I have this on my touring bike; the 155mm model.

zoste 05-19-09 10:36 AM

Terry Liberator "Y" saddles are almost as wide as a B-17.

But don't limit yourself, either. I though that I had really wide "sits bones" until I tried several different saddles. The wider saddles were moderately comfortable, but the most comfortable saddle that I tried was a 134mm wide Selle Italia SLC

ochizon 05-19-09 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoste (Post 8945666)
Terry Liberator "Y" saddles are almost as wide as a B-17.

But don't limit yourself, either. I though that I had really wide "sits bones" until I tried several different saddles. The wider saddles were moderately comfortable, but the most comfortable saddle that I tried was a 134mm wide Selle Italia SLC


I tried the Liberator Y, and it wasnt wide enough for me. To this day, the brooks is the only one I am comfortable on.

(that I have tried)

zoste 05-19-09 10:51 AM

That's odd...the Liberator is 6.6", or 167.64 mm wide; the B-17 is 170 mm wide. The difference is less than the width of a pencil lead.

ochizon 05-19-09 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoste (Post 8945758)
That's odd...the Liberator is 6.6", or 167.64 mm wide; the B-17 is 170 mm wide. The difference is less than the width of a pencil lead.

I know! That is what is so frustrating!!! I bought it becuase it was so similar, and was very excited when i tried it on, and with in 15 minutes I had turned back to swap back to the brooks....

I dont know why, but I did not find it at all comfortable.

zoste 05-19-09 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ochizon (Post 8945788)
I know! That is what is so frustrating!!! I bought it becuase it was so similar, and was very excited when i tried it on, and with in 15 minutes I had turned back to swap back to the brooks....

I dont know why, but I did not find it at all comfortable.

I guess that's why the selection of a comfortable saddle is such a personal decision. I couldn't get comfortable on a B-17 even after trying to break it in. The Selle Italia is not terrible for me, but not perfect either. On a whim I sent the almost new B-17 to Selle AnAtomica to have their style of slot cut into it.

I think that if I ever find a saddle that allows me to ride all day comfortably, I'll buy a lifetime supply.

Good luck in your quest!

swm 05-20-09 10:20 PM

It's not that different visually, but the VO Model 7 is wide enough and comfortable for me:

http://www.velo-orange.com/brookssaddles.html

The model 8 is brown, the model 6 is unsprung.

Scot

Mazama 05-21-09 01:42 AM

Brooks has wider models. Look at the B67 and B68.

http://www.wallbike.com/B67.html

http://www.wallbike.com/b68.html


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 AM.