Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member knzn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wichita Kansas
    My Bikes
    1 comfort bike, a 1988-ish Rockhopper Comp that I like a lot, and 1 1973 sears 10 speed that needs restored or a new home.And now a Trek 1000.
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Well dang, broke a spoke

    Got up this morning with ideas of a personal best ride. Fixed a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast with honey and blueberrys. I would like it even if wasn't good for you!

    Started out nice and easy, beautiful day, mild winds (for Kansas!) and at mile 3.5 started feeling strong.
    As I pedaled along the cares of the world started melting away like they do when on a nice ride. At mile 12 I stopped for a short break and a couple of dried apricots. For this days ride it was also my turn around point.

    Got back in stride and was feeling really good. Had thoughts of a personal best ride going through my head. Then at mile 18, while on a nice down hill section (again, for kansas!) I heard the POP!

    It was on the back and things got a bit jabber wacky as I slowed down and got stopped. Whipped out the cell phone and called the boy and pushed it to a meeting spot.

    So----loaded it up and took it to the LBS. My bike is a stock Trek 1000 with Alexrims AT450 rims. It is not hard to do a search and find many opinions that these are not great Clyde rims and spokes. I hover around 235-240. This happened on my 350th mile on the bike. It had a few mile on it when I got it, but not many. I discussed the possibilty of doing an upgrade while at the shop and was pretty much talked out of it. Yes, I could have insisted, but didn't know what to insist on! Anyway I left it with them just to replace the broken spoke and retrue.

    Now I am having second thoughts. Should I see how things go and see if this is going to be a regular thing, or upgrade now? Asking a question like this always gets answers all accross the board, but would like to see everyones thoughts on the situation.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,658
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are good. Free Shipping
    36 spokes
    4500 miles on mine Zero Problems.

    http://www.everybicycletire.com/Shop...elset-622.aspx

  3. #3
    Wookie Fred chewybrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Florida
    My Bikes
    '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that problem. After 4 or 5 respokes, I got some Mavics--problem solved. Mine are XT hubs and 319 rims, $200/set. For road bikes, you can find Ultegra, etc. in that range if you shop around. Check out Ebay item 170335624308. If that is not an exact fit for you, that seller, Rockymountaincyclery, has many others at decent prices. IMO, well worth it to get a set you won't be worried about, and focus on riding.
    Campione Del Mondo Immaginario

  4. #4
    Bill
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    HIGHLANDS RANCH, CO
    My Bikes
    Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Posts
    630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO the best thing you can do to insure longevity of a wheelset is to make sure the spokes are properly tensioned. You did not give much pertinent detail on the spoke breakage such as which wheel, which side, where the break occured (head, thread, or middle of spoke). Spoke breakage, except when caused by impact, is usually due to metal fatigue and mostly is at either end (head or thread). The usual cause is that the spokes are too loosely tensioned. A tightly, evenly tensioned wheel is both durable and strong and spoke fatigue is minimized.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it. - Will Rogers

  5. #5
    Senior Member knzn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wichita Kansas
    My Bikes
    1 comfort bike, a 1988-ish Rockhopper Comp that I like a lot, and 1 1973 sears 10 speed that needs restored or a new home.And now a Trek 1000.
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post
    You did not give much pertinent detail on the spoke breakage such as which wheel, which side, where the break occured (head, thread, or middle of spoke)..
    Back wheel, forgot which side, at the head. If anything they may have been too tight assuming there is such a thing.

    I had it checked and tuned in February right after I got it. I rode it about 50 miles or so although it ran true, when putting a spoke wrench on them one side seemed loose, so I tightned them all a quarter to a half turn. That snugged up the loose ones, and made the ones already snug pretty tight. Maybe I over did them.

  6. #6
    Senior Member knzn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wichita Kansas
    My Bikes
    1 comfort bike, a 1988-ish Rockhopper Comp that I like a lot, and 1 1973 sears 10 speed that needs restored or a new home.And now a Trek 1000.
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    10 Wheels and Chewbrian

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    Keep them coming!

  7. #7
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse , Cannondale SuperSix, Trek CrossRip
    Posts
    3,980
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
    I had that problem. After 4 or 5 respokes, I got some Mavics--problem solved. Mine are XT hubs and 319 rims, $200/set. For road bikes, you can find Ultegra, etc. in that range if you shop around. Check out Ebay item 170335624308. If that is not an exact fit for you, that seller, Rockymountaincyclery, has many others at decent prices. IMO, well worth it to get a set you won't be worried about, and focus on riding.
    Bought my Hybrid wheels from this guy and have been very happy.
    Brian | 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix (for sale)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,045
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get one of those kits with the kevlar cord which can replace a broken spoke temporarily. Then if your old wheelset pops a spoke it's no big deal.

    I have one but I can't say as I've tried it, & I don't know if it works on the spokes which are threaded at both ends.

  9. #9
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,658
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garage sale GT View Post
    get one of those kits with the kevlar cord which can replace a broken spoke temporarily. Then if your old wheelset pops a spoke it's no big deal.

    I have one but I can't say as I've tried it, & I don't know if it works on the spokes which are threaded at both ends.

  10. #10
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse , Cannondale SuperSix, Trek CrossRip
    Posts
    3,980
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garage sale GT View Post
    get one of those kits with the kevlar cord which can replace a broken spoke temporarily. Then if your old wheelset pops a spoke it's no big deal.

    I have one but I can't say as I've tried it, & I don't know if it works on the spokes which are threaded at both ends.
    I've got to say, I have never heard of this before. Pretty neat item.
    Brian | 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix (for sale)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  11. #11
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,658
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
    I've got to say, I have never heard of this before. Pretty neat item.
    They work and can be reused many times.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knzn View Post
    Got up this morning with ideas of a personal best ride. Fixed a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast with honey and blueberrys. I would like it even if wasn't good for you!

    Started out nice and easy, beautiful day, mild winds (for Kansas!) and at mile 3.5 started feeling strong.
    As I pedaled along the cares of the world started melting away like they do when on a nice ride. At mile 12 I stopped for a short break and a couple of dried apricots. For this days ride it was also my turn around point.

    Got back in stride and was feeling really good. Had thoughts of a personal best ride going through my head. Then at mile 18, while on a nice down hill section (again, for kansas!) I heard the POP!

    It was on the back and things got a bit jabber wacky as I slowed down and got stopped. Whipped out the cell phone and called the boy and pushed it to a meeting spot.

    So----loaded it up and took it to the LBS. My bike is a stock Trek 1000 with Alexrims AT450 rims. It is not hard to do a search and find many opinions that these are not great Clyde rims and spokes. I hover around 235-240. This happened on my 350th mile on the bike. It had a few mile on it when I got it, but not many. I discussed the possibilty of doing an upgrade while at the shop and was pretty much talked out of it. Yes, I could have insisted, but didn't know what to insist on! Anyway I left it with them just to replace the broken spoke and retrue.

    Now I am having second thoughts. Should I see how things go and see if this is going to be a regular thing, or upgrade now? Asking a question like this always gets answers all accross the board, but would like to see everyones thoughts on the situation.
    Thanks!
    If you break A spoke, get it replaced and get the wheel re-tensioned. If it makes a habit of breaking spokes, get the shop to replace all of the spokes in the wheel, and get them to tension the spokes properly. If you still have problems with breaking spokes, then you should think about replacing the wheel, and don't get it from that same shop. Not all bicycle mechanics know the proper tension for a wheel.

  13. #13
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse , Cannondale SuperSix, Trek CrossRip
    Posts
    3,980
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    They work and can be reused many times.
    Is that a touring type thing??? Probably why I've never heard of it.
    Brian | 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix (for sale)
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •