Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Missing my century ride due to headache!!! SAD

    OK just wanted to post that I am wondering if I wlll ride again and when!! During the week I usually hit the Stationary Bike since I am away in Chicago - and skipped it. At first due to headache then no motivation and depression. This weekend - was depressed at first and decided not to go away for a biking trip. Woke up next day with huge migraine..(thoguht too sick to be depressed) and did not ride. Today still have headache...not as bad though...will rest a bit.


    Anyway - I am worried about my level of activity. It seems it would be so easy to sink back to a couch potatoe. June 6-13 I am going on my first ever BRAG (Bike Ride Across GA) and I want to be in good shape for the ride (65 miles per day - and one day of 100) and I do not want to go back to my fat self.

    So I guess what I am saying is I want to make sure this week I hit the gym every day. AVoid having headaches...Just get on the bike for an hour. Thats all. And then hit Subway at night so I do not overeat... I am in a slump.

    OK Just a rant....and hopefully will come back to report that i have met these goals.

    Sue

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,654
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to always have a very busy schedule.
    Some resting might do you much good.
    Ride safe.

  3. #3
    Bikezilla Mazama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Flori-Duh
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Mazama
    Posts
    881
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well maybe a little fresh air would help your headache. Get out of Atlanta and go for a nice ride in the country.
    14,000 miles and rolling...

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jtgyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Richardson TX
    Posts
    1,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly feel your pain.
    I started this year off with what I thought was going to be a great start (almost made 300 miles for January) then, due to a series of injury, illness, and depression...I have less mileage total for this year than last year when I started. It's frustrating as hell.

    I'd planned on being up for 1 or 2 centuries this year...but have as yet reached the 20 mile mark for any ride this year.
    Yeeeeesh!
    Hey, I'm just this GUY...you know?
    >>>Team Critical Mess<<< (You mean it's not SUPPOSE to hurt?)

    My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
    1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
    1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
    Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock

  5. #5
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtgyk View Post
    I certainly feel your pain.
    I started this year off with what I thought was going to be a great start (almost made 300 miles for January) then, due to a series of injury, illness, and depression...I have less mileage total for this year than last year when I started. It's frustrating as hell.

    I'd planned on being up for 1 or 2 centuries this year...but have as yet reached the 20 mile mark for any ride this year.
    Yeeeeesh!
    I'm another one, got a great start with the trainer in February, got a bad cold in March that hung on until mid April, packed up the trainer when things warmed up only to have winter return with a vengeance, it's only been the last couple of weeks that I've been able to get going again. Over 100km behind last year now, and last year was somewhere between awful and pathetic.

  6. #6
    Wookie Fred chewybrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Florida
    My Bikes
    '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbumble View Post
    ...June 6-13 I am going on my first ever BRAG...I want to make sure this week I hit the gym every day....Sue
    If you have this long ride starting 6/6, then you REALLY need to get in your miles now. The week leading up to the ride, you should stair-step down to 5 or 10 mile easy rides. So, you are almost at the end of the window for serious training The gym is o.k., I guess, but why not get outside and enjoy the real ride? Maybe rent a bike if you are still away from home(?). Hope you feel better, anyway.
    Campione Del Mondo Immaginario

  7. #7
    Wookie Fred chewybrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Florida
    My Bikes
    '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    I'm another one, got a great start with the trainer in February, got a bad cold in March that hung on until mid April, packed up the trainer when things warmed up only to have winter return with a vengeance, it's only been the last couple of weeks that I've been able to get going again. Over 100km behind last year now, and last year was somewhere between awful and pathetic.
    I earned my SR medal in April, so I am waaaay ahead of last year. Gotta love the Florida "winter". Now is the time I start to have to be motivated to ride in the heat and the rain. Commuting is still easy, long rides are tougher.
    Campione Del Mondo Immaginario

  8. #8
    Senior Member jboyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Giant "Rainier"
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sue, it is obvious from your posts that you are goal oriented and success driven. That along with your public affirmation to not sink into couch potatoism will probably be enough to thwart that concern.

    I agree with someone above that periods of rest now and then are probably good and may be your body taking over where your good sense leaves off. (no offense intended there, just my opinion about human behavior).

    Migraines are debilitating...Period. I used to run whitewater with a lady friend that would be fine and within minutes we would have to get her out of her boat and lay her in shade to help her recover until her meds could kick in, and even then the rest of our run would be spent just making sure we got her back to continue the resting process needed to end the migraine. Do you carry Imitrex with you. Probably not a bad idea for when you feel it coming on.

    Oh, one more thing...... Good to know you are human. I am still not convinced you don't have super powers compared to the rest of us
    http://www.homeairdirect.com Hey! It's What I Do

  9. #9
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
    If you have this long ride starting 6/6, then you REALLY need to get in your miles now. The week leading up to the ride, you should stair-step down to 5 or 10 mile easy rides. So, you are almost at the end of the window for serious training The gym is o.k., I guess, but why not get outside and enjoy the real ride? Maybe rent a bike if you are still away from home(?). Hope you feel better, anyway.

    hey Chewy - OK so during the week I usually hit the stationary bike for one hour each day...but I could rent a bike - it's about $30. So that's a factor. I had been riding either 65 or 100 on the weekend days... usually 65 one day and then say 30 the next and rode all through the winter...so I should be ok, provided I get out and ride.

    Went to a store today walked aorund a bit - feel nauseous and head aches a bit. If I feel better will go on a group ride tomorrow. I think I will plan on it - and then if I can't ride so be it.


    Just wish the headache would go away. I wonder if it was a plot for me to not be depressed - cause when my headaches- that's all I feel...and the depressionwent away.

    OK hopefully tomorrow I will reprot in that I rode in the group ride in the mornng!

  10. #10
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd View Post
    Sue, it is obvious from your posts that you are goal oriented and success driven. That along with your public affirmation to not sink into couch potatoism will probably be enough to thwart that concern.

    I agree with someone above that periods of rest now and then are probably good and may be your body taking over where your good sense leaves off. (no offense intended there, just my opinion about human behavior).

    Migraines are debilitating...Period. I used to run whitewater with a lady friend that would be fine and within minutes we would have to get her out of her boat and lay her in shade to help her recover until her meds could kick in, and even then the rest of our run would be spent just making sure we got her back to continue the resting process needed to end the migraine. Do you carry Imitrex with you. Probably not a bad idea for when you feel it coming on.

    Oh, one more thing...... Good to know you are human. I am still not convinced you don't have super powers compared to the rest of us
    Thank you ! I do have imatrex - but it really is a strange drug! It makes all of my limbs feel numb - but in weird way - it's as if my body is fighting not to drown. So the numbness I can deal with - but the drowning is tough. So I have refrained from taking it. I told a friend I would go to dinner with them tonight (maybe) - so I am going to try and get out - since I think as someone said above staying in the whole time - I may just need to get out.

    We shall see!!! Oh and a friend came by to see me today -and he said I was getting skinny!!! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marysville WA
    Posts
    439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sue. Ya know, sometimes you just need a rest. That's ok. You will know the difference between resting and being lazy, so don't worry about turning into a couch potato. I seriously doubt that would happen to you. Take it easy for a few days, when you feel better, post some more ride reports that shame, er, I mean, motivate the rest of us... lol

  12. #12
    Senior Member Hill-Pumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
    My Bikes
    2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1,2013 Lynskey R330, 2008 Kona Jake
    Posts
    775
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sue,

    I have noticed on several post of yours during the last few weeks that you mention being depressed. If need be, PLEASE see a doctor about it. We all have times that we are down but, if it last for an extended time, there may be other issues. We in the Pacific Northwest have some of the highest depression/suicide rates in the country due to the weather here. So, it is something that I am a little sensitive about. It may be nothing, but I thought I would at least voice my concern. We really like having you around here and seeing you happy!!!

  13. #13
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    Sue,

    I have noticed on several post of yours during the last few weeks that you mention being depressed. If need be, PLEASE see a doctor about it. We all have times that we are down but, if it last for an extended time, there may be other issues. We in the Pacific Northwest have some of the highest depression/suicide rates in the country due to the weather here. So, it is something that I am a little sensitive about. It may be nothing, but I thought I would at least voice my concern. We really like having you around here and seeing you happy!!!
    Thanks Hill Pumper!

  14. #14
    Senior Member jboyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Giant "Rainier"
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    Sue,

    I have noticed on several post of yours during the last few weeks that you mention being depressed. If need be, PLEASE see a doctor about it. We all have times that we are down but, if it last for an extended time, there may be other issues. We in the Pacific Northwest have some of the highest depression/suicide rates in the country due to the weather here. So, it is something that I am a little sensitive about. It may be nothing, but I thought I would at least voice my concern. We really like having you around here and seeing you happy!!!

    Thanks Hill Pumper for posting that. Sue, this response is not directly pointed at you, but more at anyone who can identify with the "Sad" feeling. This is kind of a personal subject to me.

    About 15 months ago, I was talking to my best friend and I asked him to fess up to me about what was going on in his head. He and I have had almost daily contact for over 25 years, no matter where he lived (Here, Seattle, San Francisco and in recent years, Michigan). Then he became hard to reach. I knew something was wrong and called him out on it. He told me that he was battling a depression and it was nothing to worry about. I asked if he was doing anything about it? He told me that he was planning on seeing a doc for meds. I recommended he see a therapist for counseling. He said that he could not do that because of the stigma and negative effects it would have on his career if his employer found out.

    Long story short and tragic, he killed himself a year ago.

    Don't mess with depression. Untreated, it is bigger then we are.
    http://www.homeairdirect.com Hey! It's What I Do

  15. #15
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd View Post
    Thanks Hill Pumper for posting that. Sue, this response is not directly pointed at you, but more at anyone who can identify with the "Sad" feeling. This is kind of a personal subject to me.

    About 15 months ago, I was talking to my best friend and I asked him to fess up to me about what was going on in his head. He and I have had almost daily contact for over 25 years, no matter where he lived (Here, Seattle, San Francisco and in recent years, Michigan). Then he became hard to reach. I knew something was wrong and called him out on it. He told me that he was battling a depression and it was nothing to worry about. I asked if he was doing anything about it? He told me that he was planning on seeing a doc for meds. I recommended he see a therapist for counseling. He said that he could not do that because of the stigma and negative effects it would have on his career if his employer found out.

    Long story short and tragic, he killed himself a year ago.

    Don't mess with depression. Untreated, it is bigger then we are.

    THANKS YOU GUYS!!!! I dod get my butt to a Shrink - so I am on it!!! I am soo sorry about your friend - and I appreciate your honesty and reaching out to me!

  16. #16
    Senior Member rthomse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lansdale,Pa
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R1000- IronHorse MTB
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By all means seek proffessional help.My best childhood friend and the best man at my wedding suffered from depression.It was a result of drug and alcohol abuse. He killed himself in the house while his wife and 3 kids were home. Treatment is the ultimate act of self love not an admission of weakness.
    06 Cannondale R1000. 08 Gary Fisher Marlin.2012 Specialized Sirrus Elite

  17. #17
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomse View Post
    By all means seek proffessional help.My best childhood friend and the best man at my wedding suffered from depression.It was a result of drug and alcohol abuse. He killed himself in the house while his wife and 3 kids were home. Treatment is the ultimate act of self love not an admission of weakness.
    Thanks Rthomse! I think I am good - but I appreciate al the loving support.

    Sue

  18. #18
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,593
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was younger, I worked at a dump-trucking place. Some of the guys there aspired to be track-hoe operators. The driving always sounded better to me- at least the scenery moved. As applied to bicycles, I'd much much rather ride around the neighborhood than sit in a gym pedaling. I'd have a hard time getting motivated to do that. I do find that sometimes I'm thinking "I don't really feel like riding" but then I go get on the bicycle anyway and within a half mile I'm smiling and enjoying it.

    Meanwhile, I woke up with the Banana Splits song stuck in my mind, so I thought I'd share it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8jlJpceXpY
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •