Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Miss Bumble Rides on B.R.A.G.

    Or perhaps I should say Miss Bumble camps out for a week! Oy Vey! Ok so I am going on my first ever week long ride across GA with about 1000+ other riders. Thought I would let ya'll know and see what advice or thoughts you have.

    It's a great ride - and I have enlisted the services of Bubba's Pampered Peddlers...so Bubba's service will supply a tent and air mattress and blow it up each day - set up the tent and take down the tent. So I will be treated like royally! Apparently he also provides comradery and beverages etc...so should be nice.

    It's hard though for me to be out of my element for a week - but I heard about this last year and wanted to join in. So we ride about 65 miles a day - and there are hammerhead options each day for a century a day - but at my speed that may take a long time - and not be the reason I ride. Really - I ride to get out of myself. I ride to meet people...and I ride to have something fun to do. The by product? Lost 50 pounds, look sexy, and am healthier and have a great fun hobby! So I figure 1200 miles a day is not really a good idea because I will not be loving the ride- and not focus on anyone else at all except me. So I will likely do 1 century during our layover day in Athens and do the regular routes

    I may have a freind join me one day - so should be fun. Saul Raisin is speaking one night - and I read his amazing book so that should be awesome.

    Anjyhoo - the ride starts in Sat - I ride to the end (SC) and take a bus 4 hours to the start. Then on Sunday is the first ride day there's a wine fest of some sort in Dahlonega on Sunday so should be fun.

    OK that's it - Just wish me luck!

  2. #2
    Double Naught Spy TrekDen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB
    Posts
    1,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay! You go have fun girl. I've never caught that multi-day tour bug, but maybe going via Bubba wouldn't be a bad way to experience it. I'm sure you'll meet lots of great folks on the ride, as well as around the campfires.

    Have a great time

  3. #3
    Senior Member JimF22003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern VA
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Posts
    2,437
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet you'll have a great time. I did BikeVirginia for the first time last year, and had a blast. It's a similar concept except they do a loop route that takes you back to the starting point, so no worries about getting back to the start. Also the route changes every year.

    I used a "sherpa service" as well. Couldn't have worked out better. A few things I appreciated (or forgot at the time) were:

    - earplugs if you're a retire-early person
    - battery powered lamp if you want to read in the tent after it gets darkish
    - chapstick
    - tylenol PM if you have trouble getting to sleep after a hard day and are a bit amped up
    - MY KINDLE! I had just bought it. I loved it then and ever since. Battery will last over a week if you turn off the cell phone
    - I bought the meal plan for the evening meal, but I'm not doing it this year. I'd rather just visit the local restaurants. BV had a great shuttle service that made it easy to get from the tent city to the restaurants.

    Enjoy! I'm sure you'll meet a lot of great people on the ride.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbumble View Post
    Or perhaps I should say Miss Bumble camps out for a week! Oy Vey! Ok so I am going on my first ever week long ride across GA with about 1000+ other riders. Thought I would let ya'll know and see what advice or thoughts you have.

    It's a great ride - and I have enlisted the services of Bubba's Pampered Peddlers...so Bubba's service will supply a tent and air mattress and blow it up each day - set up the tent and take down the tent. So I will be treated like royally! Apparently he also provides comradery and beverages etc...so should be nice.

    It's hard though for me to be out of my element for a week - but I heard about this last year and wanted to join in. So we ride about 65 miles a day - and there are hammerhead options each day for a century a day - but at my speed that may take a long time - and not be the reason I ride. Really - I ride to get out of myself. I ride to meet people...and I ride to have something fun to do. The by product? Lost 50 pounds, look sexy, and am healthier and have a great fun hobby! So I figure 1200 miles a day is not really a good idea because I will not be loving the ride- and not focus on anyone else at all except me. So I will likely do 1 century during our layover day in Athens and do the regular routes

    I may have a freind join me one day - so should be fun. Saul Raisin is speaking one night - and I read his amazing book so that should be awesome.

    Anjyhoo - the ride starts in Sat - I ride to the end (SC) and take a bus 4 hours to the start. Then on Sunday is the first ride day there's a wine fest of some sort in Dahlonega on Sunday so should be fun.

    OK that's it - Just wish me luck!
    If your not used to camping, this is a good way to get into bike-camping, because the service provides the accommodation, you don't have to be as minimalist as those going unsupported. You need to be careful about two things

    1) A lot of people who try bike & camp touring are hooked after the first trip, before you know it, your discussing tent weights and if soda can stoves are really good enough for day to day use?

    2) Watch the wine tasting, trying to ride the next day with a head the size of a penny farthings wheel, would not be fun

    Now go out and have fun, take a camera, take lots of pix, we are expecting a ride report with pix on your return. Be safe.

  5. #5
    MAK
    MAK is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Delaware
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubix, Trek 520, Felt F80, Schwinn Madison, Gary Fisher Nirvana, Nishiki Bravo
    Posts
    859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did BRAG last year and have a few suggestions.
    1. Start each day early because the sun gets preety fierce as the day goes on. Last year it was 102degrees in the afternoon the first two days.
    2. The rest stops are okay to hydrate but stopping at gas station convenience stores for food and to get ice for bottles works much better. Last year they had no ice for bottles, only for their Power Ade jugs.
    3. Lots of uphills means lots of downhills so have your LBS check your brake pads and cables before you leave. I replaced my pads yesterday and bought extra pads should I need them during the ride.
    4. Have fun and don't worry about speed. There will be lots of people faster than you and lots of people slower than you.

    Good luck!!!

  6. #6
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANKS MAK - Are you doing BRAG this year???

  7. #7
    MAK
    MAK is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Delaware
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubix, Trek 520, Felt F80, Schwinn Madison, Gary Fisher Nirvana, Nishiki Bravo
    Posts
    859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'll be there.

  8. #8
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK come say Hi - I will be in Bubba Land - ask Bubba where sue is....White bike with pretty pink tape. It will be fun tomeet pople from the forum.

  9. #9
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Miss B, I have no experience riding on a group tour, but I've been touring, so here's my thoughts:

    - earplugs. Always a good idea. You never know if you are sleeping next to a snorer's tent.

    - bug repellent.

    - carry a light for your helmet. It doubles as a night light in the tent.

    - start early if you can. Try to get in as many miles as you can before it gets hot.

    - drink before you are thirsty and eat before you are hungry. When I've toured, I've had a small breakfast at the campsite, and then 'second breakfast' about 10 miles or so into the ride.

    - keep in mind this is not a race. There's no prize for finishing ahead of other riders.

    - take photos. I took a thousand of them on my big tour last year. As Spinnaker on the Touring Forum once told me, "20 years from now you'll find yourself thinking of that small cafe you ducked into to get out of the rain, and you'll wish you had a picture of it."

    - Oh, and most importantly, have fun!

  10. #10
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOOH Bug repellant - definitley forgot that, ear plugs will be key!!! thanks Neil for all of the sage advice. I have one day when I get home to ATL to pack for the trip.

  11. #11
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbumble View Post
    OOOH Bug repellant - definitley forgot that, ear plugs will be key!!! thanks Neil for all of the sage advice. I have one day when I get home to ATL to pack for the trip.
    I almost forgot. Don't overpack! Unless they are carrying your gear for you.

  12. #12
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I almost forgot. Don't overpack! Unless they are carrying your gear for you.

    Ofcourse they are carrying my gear for me!! Since I travel for work every week - I made sure I had a fabulous service (buba's pampered peddlars) who will set up the tent, blow up my mattress, give me a nice chair and a cold drink! I do have to carry the bag from their truck to my tent.
    I am a spoliled child - and I must stay that way. :cool:

  13. #13
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbumble View Post
    Ofcourse they are carrying my gear for me!! Since I travel for work every week - I made sure I had a fabulous service (buba's pampered peddlars) who will set up the tent, blow up my mattress, give me a nice chair and a cold drink! I do have to carry the bag from their truck to my tent.
    I am a spoliled child - and I must stay that way. :cool:
    You sound too high maintenance for me. I'll return the ring.

  14. #14
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if I said I can go from shower to ready to go out to dinner in 20 minutes max?? Do i get back in your good graces??? Can i keep the ring? And I ride a bike 100 miles - I can't be too high maintenance.
    Last edited by Missbumble; 06-02-09 at 08:23 AM.

  15. #15
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbumble View Post
    What if I said I can go from shower to ready to go out to dinner in 20 minutes max?? Do i get back in your good graces??? Can i keep the ring? And I ride a bike 100 miles - I can't be too high maintenance.
    I can't give you the ring yet. We haven't been on a date. What kind of guy do you think I am?

  16. #16
    Man, Myth, Legend,Bigfoot chunkyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Texas
    My Bikes
    09` Motobecane Cx - 07` Dawes LT1000 - 82` Trek 412
    Posts
    354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Historian - Good advice! - i wish i would have thought that way with the traveling i've done.. i never take pictures and now thinking back on it ..it makes me sad because the memory just isnt as clear!
    ________________________________________________
    82 Trek 412
    07 Dawes LT1000
    09 Motobecane CX
    http://www.thejourneytv.com

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    up the hill
    My Bikes
    TREK Madone 5.2, TREK 1200, Jamis Aurora, Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MissBumble have a great time. Don't forget to get out from under Bubba's shade and mingle with the masses. I'm sure you'll enjoy the good ole Southern rock, country and bluegrass you will hear in the towns at night.

  18. #18
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoC View Post
    MissBumble have a great time. Don't forget to get out from under Bubba's shade and mingle with the masses. I'm sure you'll enjoy the good ole Southern rock, country and bluegrass you will hear in the towns at night.


    Thanks Dan! I will definitely go mingle with the masses. My other bike group C4 will be there so I will see them for dinner etc. They tend to ride at great speeds and then hit the bar. I may join them for some dinners or go mingle with the masses and see what's what!

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    My Bikes
    2009 Trek 4300
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're going to have a blast!

    I did BRAG a few times back in the day when I was an avid cyclist living in and around Atlanta. Good times and you'll definitely meet a few great, interesting people. I made a few friends and a found a roommate this way. Don't feel bad about doing most of it solo. Find a pace that's comfortable and make up a conversation with whomever is nearby. You might find a partner for the rest of the trip like I did! Even if you don't make too many contacts you'll be glad of your accomplishment once its over. How many of your friends will be able to say they've done something like this? Its called BRAG for a reason!

    The rides are meant to be scenic and not too terribly taxing outside of the distance itself, although there will be a section or two in North GA which may have you think otherwise. Sunscreen for the back of my neck was a good friend and my biggest regret was not having a camera on my bike. If I was in shape (and I hope to be again soon) I would definitely do it again!

  20. #20
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Beast View Post
    You're going to have a blast!

    I did BRAG a few times back in the day when I was an avid cyclist living in and around Atlanta. Good times and you'll definitely meet a few great, interesting people. I made a few friends and a found a roommate this way. Don't feel bad about doing most of it solo. Find a pace that's comfortable and make up a conversation with whomever is nearby. You might find a partner for the rest of the trip like I did! Even if you don't make too many contacts you'll be glad of your accomplishment once its over. How many of your friends will be able to say they've done something like this? Its called BRAG for a reason!

    The rides are meant to be scenic and not too terribly taxing outside of the distance itself, although there will be a section or two in North GA which may have you think otherwise. Sunscreen for the back of my neck was a good friend and my biggest regret was not having a camera on my bike. If I was in shape (and I hope to be again soon) I would definitely do it again!
    Thanks JayBeast - Sunscreen on back of neck -Good Idea! I have one day to pack when I get to my home in Atlanta so I know I will forget something. I am looking forward to it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •