Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My great weekend and some whining...

    So, first, we're now officially moving to Boston. It's been 99.9% sure, but now we have an apartment on BU's campus, so it's real now.

    We went out there this weekend, putting almost 2k miles on my car. We spent the night friday in a hotel in NY, and camped out in a state park on saturday and sunday night. We went downtown saturday and sunday nights, saturday walking around near campus, sunday exploring a bit of the downtown area near the harbor by car.

    Our apartment is on a tree shaded lane, and right across the stree from the park that surrounds the Charles river including a gorgeous bike path.

    During the camping part of our trip I managed to get in a 1/2 hour of serious exercise. We also played around a I also ate like garbage this weekend, so I'm sure this week will be spent recapturing last weeks losses.

    Here's my whining: I had hoped to bring our bikes with us, but if you read my other threads, you'll know I dropped my rear wheel off for a tension and truing. They had said it would be done Thursday, and I could pick it up friday. Friday comes, I dont get a call from them, and so I can't take the bike. I call sunday, and it still wasn't done. They didn't call me yesterday, so i can only assume it STILL isn't done. I'm going to stop by there on lunch to check on it.

    The real kick in the pants? They had a charity bike ride AT THE CAMPGROUND WE WERE STAYING AT! 10, 20, and 50 mile rides!!! I couldn't believe it!!!! It wouldn't have been retensioned, but I could have at least had the wheel trued because they had a shop there doing tuneups and repairs! UGH! I so wanted to participate.

  2. #2
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN View Post
    So, first, we're now officially moving to Boston. It's been 99.9% sure, but now we have an apartment on BU's campus, so it's real now.

    We went out there this weekend, putting almost 2k miles on my car. We spent the night friday in a hotel in NY, and camped out in a state park on saturday and sunday night. We went downtown saturday and sunday nights, saturday walking around near campus, sunday exploring a bit of the downtown area near the harbor by car.

    Our apartment is on a tree shaded lane, and right across the stree from the park that surrounds the Charles river including a gorgeous bike path.

    During the camping part of our trip I managed to get in a 1/2 hour of serious exercise. We also played around a I also ate like garbage this weekend, so I'm sure this week will be spent recapturing last weeks losses.

    Here's my whining: I had hoped to bring our bikes with us, but if you read my other threads, you'll know I dropped my rear wheel off for a tension and truing. They had said it would be done Thursday, and I could pick it up friday. Friday comes, I dont get a call from them, and so I can't take the bike. I call sunday, and it still wasn't done. They didn't call me yesterday, so i can only assume it STILL isn't done. I'm going to stop by there on lunch to check on it.

    The real kick in the pants? They had a charity bike ride AT THE CAMPGROUND WE WERE STAYING AT! 10, 20, and 50 mile rides!!! I couldn't believe it!!!! It wouldn't have been retensioned, but I could have at least had the wheel trued because they had a shop there doing tuneups and repairs! UGH! I so wanted to participate.
    It sounds like you need to search for a new bike shop. Or at least get a good explanation for their poor service.

    As for the charity ride, I'm sorry you didn't ride on it. But you should be at the stage you can ride 10, 20, 50 miles on your own. Make it happen, TKGN!

  3. #3
    Tilting with windmills txvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas 'Burbs
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I humbly recommend Harris Cyclery when you arrive in Bean Town.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    It sounds like you need to search for a new bike shop. Or at least get a good explanation for their poor service.

    As for the charity ride, I'm sorry you didn't ride on it. But you should be at the stage you can ride 10, 20, 50 miles on your own. Make it happen, TKGN!
    Not to defend poor service, but at this time of year, a lot of bike shops are going nuts in the repair department, because everyone waits until the weather improves to take their bike in to the shop. Having said that, if they promised to have it completed on Thursday, they should have completed it on Thursday.

  5. #5
    Senior Member CACycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Posts
    4,450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what you get for only having one bike. N+1 has its advantages.

  6. #6
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey TechKnown - I grew up in Boston!! Enjoy!!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CACycling View Post
    That's what you get for only having one bike. N+1 has its advantages.
    Trust me, I've thought of that both before and since. But the wedding makes this a post-september project, and the new apartment probably makes it a "in 2 years" project, due to space limitations. Getting a spare set of wheels seems far more likely.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    As for the charity ride, I'm sorry you didn't ride on it. But you should be at the stage you can ride 10, 20, 50 miles on your own. Make it happen, TKGN!
    You're absolutely right, sir. I did 7 miles last night in a half an hour of riding, and I'm looking to do a longer ride tonight. at least 10. I'm going to work myself out to longer rides over the next couple weeks. My swim training for the triathlon is taking a back seat due to costs, so I'm going to focus on the bike training as preparation. In 2 weeks my fiancee will be gone for a whole week, so I'll be using that time to ride like crazy.

  9. #9
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN View Post
    You're absolutely right, sir. I did 7 miles last night in a half an hour of riding, and I'm looking to do a longer ride tonight. at least 10. I'm going to work myself out to longer rides over the next couple weeks. My swim training for the triathlon is taking a back seat due to costs, so I'm going to focus on the bike training as preparation. In 2 weeks my fiancee will be gone for a whole week, so I'll be using that time to ride like crazy.
    OK, perhaps we can have a virtual joint ride. I'll call you from wherever I am - I'll be on tour - and we'll co-ordinate our rides. You've been riding for at least six months, so you are beyond ready for 20 miles.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    OK, perhaps we can have a virtual joint ride. I'll call you from wherever I am - I'll be on tour - and we'll co-ordinate our rides. You've been riding for at least six months, so you are beyond ready for 20 miles.

    My concern for quite a while hasn't been my phyiscal readiness, rather that of my equipment. With all the flats I'd been having, I didn't want to get out a ways and have serious issues with no easy way to get back. With getting the wheel retensioned and the way it rode last night, I think I'm ready to try 10 out, and 10 back.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN View Post
    My concern for quite a while hasn't been my phyiscal readiness, rather that of my equipment. With all the flats I'd been having, I didn't want to get out a ways and have serious issues with no easy way to get back. With getting the wheel retensioned and the way it rode last night, I think I'm ready to try 10 out, and 10 back.
    There are three ways to deal with flats, first is a tougher tire like the Hardcase or the Armadillo. This works quite well for a lot of people, tires are usually heavier though.

    Second is to put a chemical sealant like Slime in the tire, this chemical hardens on contact with air. This can make removing the tire extremely difficult and if you get a blow out you can end up with the stuff everywhere, on the road, on you, on your bike, etc. It's not easy to remove,

    Third learn to change a flat, with practise you can get very good and reasonably fast at it, you need to carry a pump or CO2 inflater and several cartridges, carry at least 1 times the number of cartridges as potential repairs if using an inflater only (if you have 2 tubes then carry 3 cartridges, if you have 2 tubes and 2 patches, carry 6 cartridges). Some riders like the convenience of CO2, but the reliability of a pump and carry both.

    Personally, I think if you have trouble with flats combine method one and method three.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got a spare tube and a frame pump, and I'd say im less than 5 minutes to change it. Ive thought about CO2, but until after the wedding thats a luxury, where I was able to justify the frame pump as a necessity.

    Im just overly cautious sometimes, but it's time to jump in. I have had 2 good nights of shorter rides (7 miles at top speed tuesday, 5 miles with the fiancee last night), and I'm going for a longer one tonight.

  13. #13
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN View Post
    My concern for quite a while hasn't been my phyiscal readiness, rather that of my equipment. With all the flats I'd been having, I didn't want to get out a ways and have serious issues with no easy way to get back. With getting the wheel retensioned and the way it rode last night, I think I'm ready to try 10 out, and 10 back.
    That's another reason to ride with a buddy. We have a lot of Clydes in Ohio; I'm sure one of them will be happy to ride with you sometime.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •