Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Senior Member navajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How rude am i ???

    Hello all!

    It dawned on me tonight that I have been a bit rude. I have been lurking and asking a few questions on this board since Oct last year and never introduced myself.

    My name is Tom and I am currently living in Northern VA. I got back into cycling last October at 5'11" and 270 LBS (down from 298!!!). I bought a cheapo X-Mart Schwinn Ranger Hybrid bike to ride around with my son. At first, I could barely ride 1/2 mile without keeling over (we live on top of a mountain!)! Then some friends of mine finally talked me into coming riding with them for a nice flat-ish 26 mile ride. I was hooked!

    I now ride 30 - 50 miles at a time after work a couple times a week. I am happy to say that with my dietary changes and cycling, I now weigh 220 LBS!

    I know the bike choice is bad (BOY do I realize it now!), but it was a gateway bike to see if I liked it. We are currently a bit strapped for $$$ so I'll just have to stick with what I have for now. Even with the bad fit, ominous clunking from the BB when pedaling, and the harsh seat, it is a bike and I love riding!

    In short, it is possible to be a big guy and ride a dept store bike long-ish distances if you find out that you just simply enjoy riding.

    Anyway, I just wanted to say "Hi" finally and tell you all THANKS for the inspiration and all the help along the way!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible for anyone to ride just about any bike long distances if you enjoy the riding!

  3. #3
    Senior Member drafters65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    02' Fuji Team, 85' Miyata ninety SS
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you ARE rude! seems like you totally ditched you son after you rode with your buds...tsk tsk

  4. #4
    BikeNewbie stark23x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hamden, CT USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Giant Defy 3, 1983 Trek 850, 2008 Schwinn Sidewinder
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too.

    I'm 258lbs today, riding a Schwinn "sidewinder" (they sell this bike under like, eleventy different names depending on where you get it) from Wally World. Boy do I wish I hadn't bought it. But, I'm putting at least a hundred miles a week on it now, and making plans and doing research for a better bike around Christmas time.

    Of course like an idiot I sunk a few hundred into trying to make this bike work before I realized it's always going to be slow and always going to suck. Hence the sig image.

    Next spring I will be a speed demon bombing up and down hills and dales. This year? Tortoise on the paved bike path with my department store special.
    JimK
    MadeofAwesome.net
    2009 Giant Defy 3, 1983 Trek 850, 2008 Schwinn Sidewinder
    Eternal vigilance is the price of butter.

  5. #5
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stark23x View Post
    Me too.

    I'm 258lbs today, riding a Schwinn "sidewinder" (they sell this bike under like, eleventy different names depending on where you get it) from Wally World. Boy do I wish I hadn't bought it. But, I'm putting at least a hundred miles a week on it now, and making plans and doing research for a better bike around Christmas time.

    Of course like an idiot I sunk a few hundred into trying to make this bike work before I realized it's always going to be slow and always going to suck. Hence the sig image.

    Next spring I will be a speed demon bombing up and down hills and dales. This year? Tortoise on the paved bike path with my department store special.

    There's a poster on the Touring Forum who rode his Wal-mart Sidewinder from South Carolina to Texas. As low-end bikes go, it's not bad.

  6. #6
    Neil_B
    Guest
    No OP, you haven't been rude. Spend some time with me and I'll teach you how.

  7. #7
    Senior Member navajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    No OP, you haven't been rude. Spend some time with me and I'll teach you how.
    You don't have a chance! I've read a lot of your posts and you are just a big ol' teddy bear! Thanks for the offer though!

    Quote Originally Posted by drafters65 View Post
    you ARE rude! seems like you totally ditched you son after you rode with your buds...tsk tsk
    NOT AT ALL! He goes with me/us quite often. He made it 38 miles at the end of last season on his single speed BMX bike! He makes me feel pround and old, fat and lazy at the same time!

    Quote Originally Posted by professorbob View Post
    It's possible for anyone to ride just about any bike long distances if you enjoy the riding!
    I do believe that is the honest truth! It's just in what you have and the desire to make it work.

    Quote Originally Posted by stark23x View Post
    Me too.

    I'm 258lbs today, riding a Schwinn "sidewinder" (they sell this bike under like, eleventy different names depending on where you get it) from Wally World. Boy do I wish I hadn't bought it. But, I'm putting at least a hundred miles a week on it now, and making plans and doing research for a better bike around Christmas time.

    Of course like an idiot I sunk a few hundred into trying to make this bike work before I realized it's always going to be slow and always going to suck. Hence the sig image.

    Next spring I will be a speed demon bombing up and down hills and dales. This year? Tortoise on the paved bike path with my department store special.
    Yeah, the way I figure it, I'll be that much better and stronger when I do get a better bike from having pedaled this "tank" around for a year or so!

  8. #8
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Mr. Navajo - :WELCOME: It is a pleasure to make you acquaintance. We are glad you are here and 50 pounds of is a great achievement. I imagine you are quite enjoying your new svelte self. Enjoy your lil ole bike! The new one will mean a whole lot more when you finally get it. Come on as a guest speaker on our lil Biggest Loser Thread and tell us how you lost your weight. Tips and Tricks if you will.

  9. #9
    Senior Member navajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbumble View Post
    Dear Mr. Navajo - :WELCOME: It is a pleasure to make you acquaintance. We are glad you are here and 50 pounds of is a great achievement. I imagine you are quite enjoying your new svelte self. Enjoy your lil ole bike! The new one will mean a whole lot more when you finally get it. Come on as a guest speaker on our lil Biggest Loser Thread and tell us how you lost your weight. Tips and Tricks if you will.
    Thank you very much for the welcome!

    I'd really doubt that anyone would want to follow my example though. I'm sure I have been doing everything wrong! It seems I am too stubborn/stupid to learn by example, I apparently NEEd to try to reinvent the wheel, as it were.

    But I will definately swing by the BLT thread and say Hi.

  10. #10
    Each Drop of Sweat Counts
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Iwakuni Japan
    My Bikes
    MASI Speciale Road, Specialized Rockhopper 29'er, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT, Ignio Folding bike
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ALWAYS believed that if you're in the bike game to lose weight that building a super bike is counter productive. So what if your bike is 5% less efficient or 20% heavier. Isn't that the point?

    When you're heavy like I was, lighter pedals or space age hubs don't really buy you anything I don't think other than mental motivation, which is all good as well (provided you actually motivate).

    Good on you. Ride what you got and upgrade when you can. I'd recommend learning how to wrench and getting some tools. Bottom brackets are pretty doggone cheap and changing one doesn't take long at all with the right tools.

    John

  11. #11
    Senior Member navajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekJapan View Post
    I have ALWAYS believed that if you're in the bike game to lose weight that building a super bike is counter productive. So what if your bike is 5% less efficient or 20% heavier. Isn't that the point?

    When you're heavy like I was, lighter pedals or space age hubs don't really buy you anything I don't think other than mental motivation, which is all good as well (provided you actually motivate).

    Good on you. Ride what you got and upgrade when you can. I'd recommend learning how to wrench and getting some tools. Bottom brackets are pretty doggone cheap and changing one doesn't take long at all with the right tools.

    John
    I hear you! When I am out there sweating, huffing and puffing to CRAWL up a hill, I just think how FAST I'm gonna be on a better bike!

    Seriously though, I do believe you have hit the nail on the head too. Fast is good, but for now, I just need to ride what I have and get in better shape.

    I mean, I can't BELIEVE how much better I feel after only riding since last October.

    My blood pressure is NORMAL and my resting heart rate is in the mid 50's. This is a HUGE change!

    Once again, thanks to ALL of you for the inspiration, motivation and help!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    by the football hall of fame
    Posts
    850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheap seat, padded shorts!
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right

  13. #13
    Senior Member navajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Danw View Post
    Cheap seat, padded shorts!
    I have BOTH!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marysville WA
    Posts
    439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Glad you introduced yourself. Now turn off the computer and go ride some more! lol.

  15. #15
    Senior Member navajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hi. Glad you introduced yourself. Now turn off the computer and go ride some more! lol.
    AHHHH If only!

    It's been raining (with lightening) here for the past week! I have my stuff with me today just in case it lets up after work!

  16. #16
    Serious Newbie Aleforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lake Saint Louis, MO
    My Bikes
    Walmart Special
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new also and starting out on a Wally Special. I was fairly embarrassed to even say what I had at first them realized it doesn't matter in the end. Congrats on losing all the weight!

  17. #17
    Senior Member navajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleforge View Post
    I'm new also and starting out on a Wally Special. I was fairly embarrassed to even say what I had at first them realized it doesn't matter in the end. Congrats on losing all the weight!
    Thanks! I agree that they are not the best bikes, but I didn't start out driving a Rolls Royce when I was young either (OK, I STILL don't have one of those!).

    Baby steps!

  18. #18
    Senior Member kenseth03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Glen Allen Va.
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Navajo, welcome to the forum from a fellow Virginian. Lurking this forum is a great idea. Theres alot to learn from other peoples posts. I really feal that it doesn't matter what you start out on as long as you ride, so until you get a better ride just enjoy the sport of cycling. Also, congrats on the weight loss!
    2012 Trek Marlin
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    2009 SE Stout 29er
    2004 Trek 6700

  19. #19
    Mike the Bike
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern CA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR C3/Gary Fisher Tasjahara
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you do ride... Years back I rode several Courage Classics (200mi 10k feet climbing over 3 mountain passes in 3 days) on two of them I recall meeting an Athena riding a Fuffy mtn bike and she weight well over 270 and made all three mountains. I also met her on a couple of STP's with the same bike.

  20. #20
    What is a jsharr?
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    My Bikes
    Kona Dew
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first bike was a cheapo Diamondback Mountain bike from Dick's. I rode that for a while and saved up my money for a decent Kona Dew. Anyway, I just gave my buddy the Mountain bike in hopes that he will ride with me. The morale of the story is, the bike does not matter as long as you are riding and having fun doing it. Oh, and I jump on and over couches.

    Couch
    This thread needs more Chipcom!

  21. #21
    Lone Star Tex_Arcana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx.
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I see it the longer you struggle on a crap bike the stronger a rider you will be when you get a better bike.

    Seems to me that a lot of cyclists seem a little spoiled anyway. When I rode the Katy Ram Challenge back last April, I was one of the very few that rode their bike to the event. I rode 23 miles from my home to the event then decided to ride the 62 mile route then when the event was over I rode the 23 miles back (against the wind). All this on an SE Draft. A bike that just about anyone on the SS/Fixed board will tell you is a crap bike. Since it was a single speed I couldn't shift down for headwinds or hills (small ones but still) I had to deal with it with my own strength.

    It shut up a few of the complainers too when they realized that the 50 year old fat guy was riding single speed, and he was having a ball.
    Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

    My Website: New Home http://www.eclectic-relic.co.cc/
    I'm a Twittering Idiot: http://twitter.com/Tex_Arcana

  22. #22
    BikeNewbie stark23x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hamden, CT USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Giant Defy 3, 1983 Trek 850, 2008 Schwinn Sidewinder
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by couch_incident View Post
    Oh, and I jump on and over couches.
    Which means now we need to know what the incident is that led to your name being couch_incident"
    JimK
    MadeofAwesome.net
    2009 Giant Defy 3, 1983 Trek 850, 2008 Schwinn Sidewinder
    Eternal vigilance is the price of butter.

  23. #23
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleforge View Post
    I'm new also and starting out on a Wally Special. I was fairly embarrassed to even say what I had at first them realized it doesn't matter in the end. Congrats on losing all the weight!
    Woah! That bike weighs 42 pounds!

  24. #24
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Woah! That bike weighs 42 pounds!
    You have to be careful with weights, Bicycle companies like Trek if they give a weight, usually give the weight of the bike, assembled and ready to ride, in a specific size. Companies like Wallyworld usually give the shipping weight which can be as much as 10lbs heavier. All that plastic and cardboard can add a lot of weight, as well as the 17 language instruction book.....

  25. #25
    Senior Member navajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d4c4c8 View Post
    It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you do ride... Years back I rode several Courage Classics (200mi 10k feet climbing over 3 mountain passes in 3 days) on two of them I recall meeting an Athena riding a Fuffy mtn bike and she weight well over 270 and made all three mountains. I also met her on a couple of STP's with the same bike.
    That's impressive!

    Quote Originally Posted by couch_incident View Post
    My first bike was a cheapo Diamondback Mountain bike from Dick's. I rode that for a while and saved up my money for a decent Kona Dew. Anyway, I just gave my buddy the Mountain bike in hopes that he will ride with me. The morale of the story is, the bike does not matter as long as you are riding and having fun doing it. Oh, and I jump on and over couches.

    Couch
    I agree to an extent. The bike doesn't matter as far as enjoying and getting out there, but I am very much looking forward to getting one that will go into the gear I tell it too. Mine seems to just pick whichever gear it feels is appropriate no matter how I adjust it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tex_Arcana View Post
    The way I see it the longer you struggle on a crap bike the stronger a rider you will be when you get a better bike.

    Seems to me that a lot of cyclists seem a little spoiled anyway. When I rode the Katy Ram Challenge back last April, I was one of the very few that rode their bike to the event. I rode 23 miles from my home to the event then decided to ride the 62 mile route then when the event was over I rode the 23 miles back (against the wind). All this on an SE Draft. A bike that just about anyone on the SS/Fixed board will tell you is a crap bike. Since it was a single speed I couldn't shift down for headwinds or hills (small ones but still) I had to deal with it with my own strength.

    It shut up a few of the complainers too when they realized that the 50 year old fat guy was riding single speed, and he was having a ball.
    DUDE! You are now my idol!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Woah! That bike weighs 42 pounds!
    Yep, mine weighs 39 stipped down with nothing extra on it. But considering my largish posterior being on it when riding, I can't tell the 20 or so LB difference...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    You have to be careful with weights, Bicycle companies like Trek if they give a weight, usually give the weight of the bike, assembled and ready to ride, in a specific size. Companies like Wallyworld usually give the shipping weight which can be as much as 10lbs heavier. All that plastic and cardboard can add a lot of weight, as well as the 17 language instruction book.....
    Don't know what the shipping weight of mine was, but according to my scales, it does weigh 39 lbs. Oh well, easier/cheaper to lighten the motor I guess.


    AND A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL FOR MAKING ME FEEL WELCOME HERE. I have been a lurker for months and this place is an inspiration!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •