Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50
  1. #26
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando_T. View Post
    is most of your riding dirt roads, bdinger?
    First, regarding ads on my blog, haha a couple others suggested that yesterday too, but that's not how I roll. I'll happily accept free schwag that I'll review (as I recently did from Aerotech designs, and need to finally get around to reviewing), but I'm not interested in monetizing my blog. Partially because I don't think it's good web design, but mostly because that's not what the blog is about - it's more about getting the story out, showing everyone that I'm human too and hopefully inspiring one or two to do the same along the way.

    I have, also, seriously toyed with the idea of starting a obesity research/support foundation. That, really, would warm my heart, and would be the only way I'd consider monetizing the blog (to fund such a venture).

    It's starting to become a good portion, yeah, used to be the majority was highway and MUP - but now I'm loving the limestone trails and gravel/dirt roads much better. So much more secluded, beautiful, and challenging. I thought gravel riders had a screw loose for the longest time, and I'm kind of right I suppose, but they also really know what's going on! It's a blast!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I won points at work when I forwarded the article to a 400 pound - and dropping! - coworker. "I'm impressed, Neil. You know this guy!?"
    I'm a rockstar!!! I also told my wife last night "you realize this means I can never again get a cheeseburger in this town without getting the look, right??" LOL Which I suppose is for the better, all this attention is very motivating! Yesterday my parents and I went to lunch, and sure enough, several folks at a local eatery said "hi" - haha. I made sure to point out to them we went out to lunch there as I know all the dishes are made from scratch (including dressings), and it's simply good stuff - the BBQ chicken salad being my new favority.

    Quote Originally Posted by txvintage View Post
    Well bummer. I certainly understand the unexpected expense thing. There seems to be a lot of that going around these days.

    I'm looking forward to the August ride!
    You know, I'm done with the unexpected expenses. DONE. A transmission, a trip out of town, a "furlough" week from work, and new tires for my Taurus really did a number on our accounts this month - but we're still rolling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alathea View Post
    Transmissions suck. Timing belts suck, too-luckily we had an extended warranty on our Kia so the 1400.00 (200 for the parts, 200 for the tuneup since our timing belt didn't just break they didn't catch it until after the tuneup, and 1000 for the timing belt and labor) didn't wipe us out that month-just the 100 deductible.
    I'm with you! I told my wife that the second the new transmission's warranty is up in three years, we're getting rid of that $@#!#@ Chrysler minivan. Worst vehicle purchase ever, and we all know how much I'm a fan of vehicles. Thankfully our kids now will go to the elementary school that you can - literally - see from standing on our front porch, and I'm working out xtracycling my Hardrock for grocery duties to the stores either a half mile (Super Saver) or a mile (Hy-Vee) away.

    Quote Originally Posted by epcolt View Post
    Great article, we need more good press.
    I was really impressed with the reporter, the whole experience, and how the article turned out. Most importantly - the response! So for only a minor dose of haterade from one person, but I expected it.

  2. #27
    Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset. Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,147
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    By the way, Ben......welcome to MY world.

    Wait til you get asked for an autograph in Dodge City, KS, for example, by someone that follows your story.

    Quote Originally Posted by bdinger View Post
    First, regarding ads on my blog, haha a couple others suggested that yesterday too, but that's not how I roll. I'll happily accept free schwag that I'll review (as I recently did from Aerotech designs, and need to finally get around to reviewing), but I'm not interested in monetizing my blog. Partially because I don't think it's good web design, but mostly because that's not what the blog is about - it's more about getting the story out, showing everyone that I'm human too and hopefully inspiring one or two to do the same along the way.

    I have, also, seriously toyed with the idea of starting a obesity research/support foundation. That, really, would warm my heart, and would be the only way I'd consider monetizing the blog (to fund such a venture).

    It's starting to become a good portion, yeah, used to be the majority was highway and MUP - but now I'm loving the limestone trails and gravel/dirt roads much better. So much more secluded, beautiful, and challenging. I thought gravel riders had a screw loose for the longest time, and I'm kind of right I suppose, but they also really know what's going on! It's a blast!



    I'm a rockstar!!! I also told my wife last night "you realize this means I can never again get a cheeseburger in this town without getting the look, right??" LOL Which I suppose is for the better, all this attention is very motivating! Yesterday my parents and I went to lunch, and sure enough, several folks at a local eatery said "hi" - haha. I made sure to point out to them we went out to lunch there as I know all the dishes are made from scratch (including dressings), and it's simply good stuff - the BBQ chicken salad being my new favority.



    You know, I'm done with the unexpected expenses. DONE. A transmission, a trip out of town, a "furlough" week from work, and new tires for my Taurus really did a number on our accounts this month - but we're still rolling.



    I'm with you! I told my wife that the second the new transmission's warranty is up in three years, we're getting rid of that $@#!#@ Chrysler minivan. Worst vehicle purchase ever, and we all know how much I'm a fan of vehicles. Thankfully our kids now will go to the elementary school that you can - literally - see from standing on our front porch, and I'm working out xtracycling my Hardrock for grocery duties to the stores either a half mile (Super Saver) or a mile (Hy-Vee) away.



    I was really impressed with the reporter, the whole experience, and how the article turned out. Most importantly - the response! So for only a minor dose of haterade from one person, but I expected it.
    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  3. #28
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    By the way, Ben......welcome to MY world.

    Wait til you get asked for an autograph in Dodge City, KS, for example, by someone that follows your story.
    On tour last year I rode with someone who knew me from my postings here. It wasn't a planned meeting.

  4. #29
    Senior Member Hill-Pumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
    My Bikes
    2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1,2013 Lynskey R330, 2008 Kona Jake
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    On tour last year I rode with someone who knew me from my postings here. It wasn't a planned meeting.
    So......Neil, you have your own stalker

  5. #30
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    So......Neil, you have your own stalker
    Not that fellow. The two folks who've harassed me on the Touring Forum are another matter.

  6. #31
    I'm Rad. vXhanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Florida
    My Bikes
    2008 Allez (Sold), 2009 Surly LHT (Sold), 2014 Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up, and congratulations on getting in the paper! Keep up the good work!

    V

  7. #32
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek ALR 6, Cannondale Synapse , Trek CrossRip
    Posts
    4,292
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice story. Very inspirational.
    Brian | 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  8. #33
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    By the way, Ben......welcome to MY world.

    Wait til you get asked for an autograph in Dodge City, KS, for example, by someone that follows your story.
    hahah, I know it's going to happen! On my thursday night ride I got stopped several times by other folks on the trail, one time almost them literally stopping me head-on.. that woulda hurt.

    Last night we were outside, and I was apparently the talk of the neighborhood. In a good way this time! And my blog has gone from 60-80 visitors/day to 1,500... CRAP

    Oh, and already some haterade. But I'm sure you know all about that too.. $!#@!#$ lancers.

  9. #34
    Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset. Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,147
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yeah, when I was featured on the main search page as a Headline News item on the MSN homepage, I went from 1500 hits a month to 292,000 hits in a single day. The first month, I had over a million visitors, and I got booted from my image host server because I burned a terabyte of bandwidth in 2 days. !!!!!

    At that time, I had my blog on msn's Myspace, and I actually crashed that server as well from the volume. MSN had to dedicate a large capacity server just for me..... I still get emails out the wazoo about my story, as well, on both sides of the issue, the supportive ones, and the haterade. I've even gotten death threats....I kid you not! I actually like it a whole lot better since I kind of drew down my net presence quietly.....

    Quote Originally Posted by bdinger View Post
    hahah, I know it's going to happen! On my thursday night ride I got stopped several times by other folks on the trail, one time almost them literally stopping me head-on.. that woulda hurt.

    Last night we were outside, and I was apparently the talk of the neighborhood. In a good way this time! And my blog has gone from 60-80 visitors/day to 1,500... CRAP

    Oh, and already some haterade. But I'm sure you know all about that too.. $!#@!#$ lancers.
    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  10. #35
    Senior Member Hill-Pumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
    My Bikes
    2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1,2013 Lynskey R330, 2008 Kona Jake
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I would never think about someone sending haterade not to mention death threats over an inspirational story like your guys. I know that cyclist get their share of grief as well as over weight people. So, I guess an over weight cyclist bring on twice as much hate.

  11. #36
    Mr. Frowny Man Alathea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Nebraska
    My Bikes
    2009 Giant Yukon single speed;2012 Marin Inverness
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haterade from what? Other large people that don't want to be convinced to leave the fold? I can't really conceive of much negative publicity that could come from either of your stories.
    By the power of Java I compel thee, by the power of Java I compel thee...

  12. #37
    Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset. Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,147
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It's a range of people that do it. It ranges from people that claim we are faking it, to people that are extremely obese and have given up and can't stand to see others succeed where they have failed. There are some real loons out on the net, which is one of the reasons I'm very careful about how much personal info gets out on the net, about things like my address, etc.

    I've had a cyberstalker or 20 in my day.
    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  13. #38
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    It's a range of people that do it. It ranges from people that claim we are faking it, to people that are extremely obese and have given up and can't stand to see others succeed where they have failed. There are some real loons out on the net, which is one of the reasons I'm very careful about how much personal info gets out on the net, about things like my address, etc.

    I've had a cyberstalker or 20 in my day.
    Still Tom, Jared Fogle has us all beat. No one has set up a "I hate Tom/Ben/Neil/etc" sight:

    https://www.msu.edu/~weberowe/compla...red/jared.html

  14. #39
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alathea View Post
    Haterade from what? Other large people that don't want to be convinced to leave the fold? I can't really conceive of much negative publicity that could come from either of your stories.
    In some cases it's jealousy prompted by success at an activity many folks try and fail at. I had a co-worker once tell me she was upset I'd lost 60 pounds. She was a sweet woman, and said she shouldn't be angry at me, but she was, and I should avoid her for a day or so. I did so and we were fine after that.

    In some cases it's because they believe we aren't doing it the 'correct' way. Ben, for instance, had medical assistance at first. I'm sure some idiots feel that's wrong. (Please, no debates about liquid diets, bariatric surgery, lipo, etc, in this thread - that's not the point I'm making.) I get a lot of flak on the Touring Forum from the resident know-it-alls.

    Some folks object simply because they feel we are taking attention that rightfully belongs to them. Sort of like all those office racers who would be riding the Tour de France if an unjust God didn't switch them and Lance Armstrong at birth.

    In my case, it's often because folks assume I haven't paid my dues, so to speak. I've been subject to personal attacks on both the Bicycle Club of Philadelphia and Great Allegheny Passage email lists because I'm a less experienced rider with an opinion. I admit my habit of never backing down from an argument hasn't helped me here.

    And then there are genuine nutters - visit the chess groups or the Shakespeare newsgroup for examples.

  15. #40
    Senior Member Hill-Pumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
    My Bikes
    2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1,2013 Lynskey R330, 2008 Kona Jake
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is sort of a weird side thought that I had. Aren't we guilty of hating fat people, because we ourselves were fat/fatter and we wanted to change that fact. I know we all have our own reasons for wanting to drop the weight, but does it not come down to not being happy with who we are that got us on the bike, watching the food intake and such. There is the health issue to consider as motivation, but it is something that just popped into my mind while reading this tread.

  16. #41
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    This is sort of a weird side thought that I had. Aren't we guilty of hating fat people, because we ourselves were fat/fatter and we wanted to change that fact. I know we all have our own reasons for wanting to drop the weight, but does it not come down to not being happy with who we are that got us on the bike, watching the food intake and such. There is the health issue to consider as motivation, but it is something that just popped into my mind while reading this tread.
    Well, in my case I taught myself to ride a bike because I wanted to ride a bike. Weight loss had little to nothing to do with it.

    But, no, I don't think my losing weight means I hate people who choose to remain obese. Do you hate folks who don't ride bikes? I like Wagner's Ring, and it doesn't mean I hate the music of Brahms, or those who don't like Wagner. (Sorry, first comparison that came to mind. I'm listening to Siegfried at the moment. When I get a steel bike I'll probably name it Notung, after Siegfried's sword.)

  17. #42
    Senior Member Hill-Pumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
    My Bikes
    2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1,2013 Lynskey R330, 2008 Kona Jake
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Well, in my case I taught myself to ride a bike because I wanted to ride a bike. Weight loss had little to nothing to do with it.

    But, no, I don't think my losing weight means I hate people who choose to remain obese. Do you hate folks who don't ride bikes? I like Wagner's Ring, and it doesn't mean I hate the music of Brahms, or those who don't like Wagner. (Sorry, first comparison that came to mind. I'm listening to Siegfried at the moment. When I get a steel bike I'll probably name it Notung, after Siegfried's sword.)
    Let me pose a question to you. Are you happier with yourself now that you have dropped some weight then when you were bigger? My point was that maybe subconsciously that we disliked ourselves when were bigger, not that we dislike others for being bigger. Don't read to much into my weird thoughts, I don't.

  18. #43
    Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset. Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,147
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    This is sort of a weird side thought that I had. Aren't we guilty of hating fat people, because we ourselves were fat/fatter and we wanted to change that fact. I know we all have our own reasons for wanting to drop the weight, but does it not come down to not being happy with who we are that got us on the bike, watching the food intake and such. There is the health issue to consider as motivation, but it is something that just popped into my mind while reading this tread.
    Well, Hill-pumper, my motivation was initially to simply stay alive. My weight was quite literally killing me quickly. I was pretty much circling the drain. My continued motivation is from first, just plain loving life again, and secondarily, getting to watch all of you guys and gals sharing your victories as well. I mean what I say when if you touch someones life in a positive way, you get back 10 X what you give.
    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  19. #44
    Senior Member racethenation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    2007 Schwinn Fastback Race
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great article! Keep up the great work. I know that it is easy to let life get in the way of goals, but keep pushing through it.

  20. #45
    Mass Mover takingcontrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Independence OR
    My Bikes
    KHS XXL
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    Let me pose a question to you. Are you happier with yourself now that you have dropped some weight then when you were bigger? My point was that maybe subconsciously that we disliked ourselves when were bigger, not that we dislike others for being bigger. Don't read to much into my weird thoughts, I don't.
    I don't think it's that we hate scratch that...dislike our(fat)selves, It is more that we understand the mindset of being massive. My self for example, in my mind I am an adventurous person who loves outdoor activities I/E gold panning, shooting, camping diving. I tell people that I'm a certified diver and I get this look and everyone on this forum knows the LOOK. With all of these outside influences our mental track kinda gets stuck in a loop. When this loop goes on long enough it is hard to force your way out of the grove. To change takes work, allot of work, and groves are comfortable. I think I lost my train of thought somewhere in this post and I can't seem to get back to it (jumped a groove ) but point is don't dislike, just try and be a positive influence the way everyone on this forum has been to me.

  21. #46
    Mr. Frowny Man Alathea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Nebraska
    My Bikes
    2009 Giant Yukon single speed;2012 Marin Inverness
    Posts
    453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some at work that are currently enlisted that ive tried to talk to for camaraderie's sake and they look at my 285 now and wonder if I confused 'their weekend warrior' stuff with boy scouts or paint ball. I just ignore them now and figure that they are their NCO's handful and not mine! *lol*
    Last edited by Alathea; 06-06-09 at 05:39 PM.
    By the power of Java I compel thee, by the power of Java I compel thee...

  22. #47
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by takingcontrol View Post
    I tell people that I'm a certified diver and I get this look and everyone on this forum knows the LOOK.
    Yes, I get it too.

    "Hi, my name is Neil. I'm a cyclist."

    "BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!"


  23. #48
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Yes, I get it too.

    "Hi, my name is Neil. I'm a cyclist."
    Now get your flipping car out of my lane.....

    Yeah it's been one of those days, 7 cars in a 3km stretch of bike lane

  24. #49
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only two servings of haterade so far - one was "one of those roadies" - you know the type. Late 40's, has a Madone (WHY DO THEY ALL HAVE HAVE TO RIDE MADONES?? seriously..), has the matching Discovery Channel team kit, skinny.. and has no engine. Nice bike, 0 ability. Rides with his buddies once or twice a week to show off. I'm sure he didn't tell them that he got dropped by me on my mountain bike, wearing khakis and a polo!

    Other one was a pretty crappy email, but it happens. There have been SOOO many positives that outweigh it, and that is just awesome. Amazing stories emailed, those on the fence thinking of making the leap, and everything in between. And yes, a visit to the store this afternoon confirmed that too many people in this town read the dang newspaper! LOL

    Anyway, I think nearly 100% of the time the haterade comes from jealousy. They want to be out there, they don't think it's true, etc etc. It'll all work out.

    I've considered dialing back my net presence too, but already the response has made me want to get more out. Great people out there, some really crappy ones too, but some great people out there.

  25. #50
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alathea View Post
    Bumped in honor of BDinger's return.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •