Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-09, 06:00 PM   #1
dervilfal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Assos for Athenas?

I tried on a XL Lady TI.13 S5 and it.. well, didn't fit *well* though I could get it on. I need a new jersey as well. I'm an Athena, 215.. and I'm looking for something with the quality of Assos but made in my size. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or if there's a perfect item (maybe L2P.com?) that may not have all the bells and whistles, that would work as well. I've heard good things about Etxe Ondo and I saw a Louis Garneau jersey that seemed like it may work as well.

Thanks.
dervilfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 07:43 PM   #2
dervilfal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No one? I have decided to go with the bib, thinking as I go I'll fit better into it. Still looking for other Clyde/Athena-friendly well-made gear, however.
dervilfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 12:04 PM   #3
d4c4c8
Mike the Bike
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern CA
Bikes: Giant OCR C3/Gary Fisher Tasjahara
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife is *about* your weight. For jerseys she loves the Mt Borah and Terry plus sizes. For shorts we both use Aerotech (they advertise on here frequently)
d4c4c8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 12:09 PM   #4
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic
 
zpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: 2008 Salsa Casseroll, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker
Posts: 619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not an Athena, but at 6' and 230 lbs I can tell you that nothing Assos makes will fit me in their men's line.

I do have a pair of Giordana Forma bibs in XXL that fit nicely, though. They are the nicest bibs I've ever owned.

Scott
zpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 12:20 PM   #5
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can shoehorn myself into the Assos "TIR" bibs, which are the XL with some extra girth to them. I'm 6'6", 250 pounds, 39" waist.

The most comfortable bibs I have now are PI Ultrasensor Slice. PI makes sizing up to a 3XL, IIRC (and it only takes a 2X to fit me, if you need a sizing reference.)
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 01:53 PM   #6
theetruscan
Senior Member
 
theetruscan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpl View Post
I'm not an Athena, but at 6' and 230 lbs I can tell you that nothing Assos makes will fit me in their men's line.

I do have a pair of Giordana Forma bibs in XXL that fit nicely, though. They are the nicest bibs I've ever owned.

Scott
Hmmm, at 6'1.5" and 215 I wear XL, not even XXL or TIR, though I've thought about getting XXL for the taller fit.

BTW, TIR is XXL + girth.
theetruscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 01:57 PM   #7
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'll find your high end cycling apparel will not fit Clydesdale and Athenas. I had a wholesale rep tell me certain companies, Louis Garneau was named, don't want fat people wearing their product. Since LG XXL shorts are a 38 waist, I believe it.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 02:12 PM   #8
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
You'll find your high end cycling apparel will not fit Clydesdale and Athenas. I had a wholesale rep tell me certain companies, Louis Garneau was named, don't want fat people wearing their product. Since LG XXL shorts are a 38 waist, I believe it.
Not true of all companies, though. PI and Castelli, just to name two off the top of my head, have stuff that fits me just fine.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 05:27 PM   #9
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride assos and have been doing so for many years, I am 6'3 - 250lbs and use the TIR with no issues.. On a side note the TIR label is something that is put on semi trucks in Europe denoting "Wide Load"..

If anyone is looking for a great deal on assos, a few tir sizes are left.. Over 50% off..

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...1276.14.1.html
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...1281.14.1.html
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 05:57 PM   #10
DieselDan
Senior Member
 
DieselDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
Posts: 8,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
Not true of all companies, though. PI and Castelli, just to name two off the top of my head, have stuff that fits me just fine.
Those aren't high end. LG, Assos, and Campagnolo are the big offenders.
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 08:14 PM   #11
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
I ride assos and have been doing so for many years, I am 6'3 - 250lbs and use the TIR with no issues.. On a side note the TIR label is something that is put on semi trucks in Europe denoting "Wide Load"..

If anyone is looking for a great deal on assos, a few tir sizes are left.. Over 50% off..
I can see that being popular with Athenas, shorts with Wide Load on the back, I don't think so......
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 11:31 PM   #12
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
Those aren't high end. LG, Assos, and Campagnolo are the big offenders.
OK. The companies that don't have a "low end" model.
I'd put the PI P.R.O. Octanes against a pair of Assos FI.Mille on a 300k.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 11:51 PM   #13
dervilfal
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried on a LG jersey in M and I could get it on but it was not appropriate for public consumption and I couldn't get the zipper around the girls. I suspect a XXL or XL may actually work.

With regards to Assos' bibs (I can't get into their women's jerseys, for sure), how are we defining fit? Due to the lack of the elastic waistband, it's mostly up to whether the lycra can accommodate for belly/thighs. I tried on a L and it certainly could have used a bit more room but I don't anticipate that any bib I'd want to wear would have "a lot" of room. Can lycra be permanently stretched out of shape?

Last edited by dervilfal; 06-09-09 at 11:56 PM.
dervilfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 03:21 PM   #14
FZ1Tom
creaky old bones
 
FZ1Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Springfield, Misery
Bikes: Trek 7200
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDan View Post
You'll find your high end cycling apparel will not fit Clydesdale and Athenas. I had a wholesale rep tell me certain companies, Louis Garneau was named, don't want fat people wearing their product. Since LG XXL shorts are a 38 waist, I believe it.
Twats, the whole bunch of 'em. LG is a ghey name anyway.

I'd wear bibs with "WIDE LOAD" on 'em and dare you to say something about it, but then again I was always a bit of a smartass

Tom
FZ1Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 04:12 PM   #15
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Posts: 4,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am a firm believer and lover of Terry products. They carry enough Plus size merchadise to make to you happy. Quality is very good. I love their shorts and jerseys both. They last forever, wash well, prices are good.

www.terrybicycles.com
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 04:46 PM   #16
sci_femme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southeast
Bikes: cyclotank
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am not sure where Shebeest ranks among manufacturers - first time poster here. She makes riding clothes for real women - curves and all. They are unbelievably true to street clothes size, tops will fit C/D cup, DriFit fabric is very comfy, tights are plenty long, Shelastic shammy is flat-stitched in the upper thigh as opposed to groin, so there are no seams near delicate parts. I had couple spills on concrete in tights, shook the grit out and went on my way. Goes in washer on "warm", line dry, occasional tumble dry does not hurt it. And she has a Plus line that is Plus-size shape specific cut, not just size 8 blown up.

Good luck

SF
sci_femme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 05:17 PM   #17
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1Tom View Post
Twats, the whole bunch of 'em. LG is a ghey name anyway.

I'd wear bibs with "WIDE LOAD" on 'em and dare you to say something about it, but then again I was always a bit of a smartass

Tom
Actually LG or Louis Garneau is a Canadian cycling accessories manufacturer. Named after Louis Garneau a former road racing cyclist, from the province of Quebec. i have a couple of pair of their shorts and a pair of gloves. One pair of shorts and the gloves have about 1800 miles on them and are still holding up nicely, quality is pretty good.

I would think that many Athenas would not want the Wide Load sign on their derrières, even though many guys would not care.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 05:36 PM   #18
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Posts: 4,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci_femme View Post
I am not sure where Shebeest ranks among manufacturers - first time poster here. She makes riding clothes for real women - curves and all. They are unbelievably true to street clothes size, tops will fit C/D cup, DriFit fabric is very comfy, tights are plenty long, Shelastic shammy is flat-stitched in the upper thigh as opposed to groin, so there are no seams near delicate parts. I had couple spills on concrete in tights, shook the grit out and went on my way. Goes in washer on "warm", line dry, occasional tumble dry does not hurt it. And she has a Plus line that is Plus-size shape specific cut, not just size 8 blown up.

Good luck

SF
Just to add Shebeest Plus line runs very small compared to other PLUS manufacturers like Mt. Borah or Terry. Her PLUS is sizes 12 - 14... maybe a 16 can squeeze in.
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 02:09 AM   #19
FZ1Tom
creaky old bones
 
FZ1Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Springfield, Misery
Bikes: Trek 7200
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
Actually LG or Louis Garneau is a Canadian cycling accessories manufacturer. Named after Louis Garneau a former road racing cyclist, from the province of Quebec. i have a couple of pair of their shorts and a pair of gloves. One pair of shorts and the gloves have about 1800 miles on them and are still holding up nicely, quality is pretty good.

I would think that many Athenas would not want the Wide Load sign on their derrières, even though many guys would not care.
My apologies; I had not realized Louis Garneau was a former road race cyclist from Quebec. I stand corrected; that was unnecessarily harsh on my part. I'm still disappointed to learn that they apparently don't wish for fat cyclists to wear their products. Bad form, bad for business.

I'd still wear "Wide Load" on my rump tho!

Tom
FZ1Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 07:24 AM   #20
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1Tom View Post
My apologies; I had not realized Louis Garneau was a former road race cyclist from Quebec. I stand corrected; that was unnecessarily harsh on my part. I'm still disappointed to learn that they apparently don't wish for fat cyclists to wear their products. Bad form, bad for business.

I'd still wear "Wide Load" on my rump tho!

Tom
Well, I would call myself a fat cyclist, 44 inch waist, 5'10 tall, about 220lbs and the extra large fits me, so it's not like some companies where an XL is really a medium..... Not sure what their maximum size is though.....
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 12:42 PM   #21
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
Just to add Shebeest Plus line runs very small compared to other PLUS manufacturers like Mt. Borah or Terry. Her PLUS is sizes 12 - 14... maybe a 16 can squeeze in.
I second, third and fourth the Terry shorts. Picked up a pair for the wife at a shop for about $80. I've paid over a hundrd for my Ultra Sensors. The Terry are by far superior when it comes to construction. Nice thick material and a great chapis. The wife has done 40-85 mile rides every weekend for the past year wearing them and very happy with NO ISSUES!

She's had other more expensive models that don't compare to the TERRY as far as comfort and constuction. She's not as heavy as the OP but she's got lots of 'junk in the trunk' to consider. With the TERYY and a good saddle, she's doing over 3,000 happy miles evey year!

If they come out with a Mens model, I will pick some up for myself!

Very well constructed Athena shorts!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 06-11-09 at 02:02 PM.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 01:41 PM   #22
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1Tom View Post
I'm still disappointed to learn that they apparently don't wish for fat cyclists to wear their products. Bad form, bad for business.
Too many companies are like this, and it's all for the sake of their company image. I can buy a pair of Dickies or Carhartt jeans, even Lee or Wrangler. But if I wanted to get a nice pair of selvedge raw denim trousers I'd have to drop about 8" off my waist and pray that my quads would fit in 'em.

There's been a few threads about threads on our forum, as it's a pretty common issue for a number of factors: Either stuff is too small around, not tall enough, or some horrible mix. My favourite is the Big & Tall shops. Quite a few of us need a Big or Tall shop, because at 6'6" or better, we don't all have 50+ inch waistlines.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 01:55 PM   #23
FZ1Tom
creaky old bones
 
FZ1Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Springfield, Misery
Bikes: Trek 7200
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
Too many companies are like this, and it's all for the sake of their company image. I can buy a pair of Dickies or Carhartt jeans, even Lee or Wrangler. But if I wanted to get a nice pair of selvedge raw denim trousers I'd have to drop about 8" off my waist and pray that my quads would fit in 'em.

There's been a few threads about threads on our forum, as it's a pretty common issue for a number of factors: Either stuff is too small around, not tall enough, or some horrible mix. My favourite is the Big & Tall shops. Quite a few of us need a Big or Tall shop, because at 6'6" or better, we don't all have 50+ inch waistlines.
Funny you mention Carhartt jeans. Back when I owned a Yamaha FZ1 I couldn't find gear to fit me worth a damn except for the helmet and gloves. I eventually got a First Gear Mesh-Tex jacket and....Carhartt work jeans, since I couldn't find good riding pants. Saved my ass (quite literally) when I lowsided and slid down the road after the bike for over 100 feet. The only damage was a ground up coin pocket rivet.

Sidi motorcycle boots are very popular and very nice. Unfortunately they're also extremely skinny. Even when I had chicken legs, or THOUGHT I had chicken legs, I couldn't even zip the boot up past the ankle bone!

So yeah, I decided that some companies only wanted to satisfy a certain demographic in order to cultivate their image. Thankfully some companies are coming around and realizing that there's a market out there they're missing, and working to satisfy the demand.

And to think Sidi makes "wide" cycling shoes....I wonder just HOW wide they mean by wide

Tom
FZ1Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 AM.