Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-09, 12:49 AM   #1
mtnbke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Strongest 36h Mavic Rim

I'm 6'7" and 375lbs. I used to play basketball competitively and goofed around racing mountain bikes back in the day following the NORBA circuit for a couple of races each year. However, as a large frame cyclist I was just never competitive. It didn't bother me, Tinker Juarez and Ned Overand couldn't dunk.

I'm more overweight now than the body weight of the average cyclist. I have a very different definition of what a Clydesdale is than just the metric of just being over 200lbs. I find that mark kind of funny. At my old playing weight, and I was a stick, I was over 200lbs. I feel like I'm a Clydesdale now, but I certainly wasn't then.

I want to build up a 36h wheelset for my road bike. I may end up using a 48h rear hub, and only go 36h on the front wheel.

My question is what is the absolute strongest Mavic rim that is available (or was available) in 36h. This conversation should start with rims that were strong enough for heavy loaded touring or tandems. I weigh more than many tandem couples.

Yes it has to be a Mavic rim.
mtnbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 01:23 AM   #2
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It would be the A719 rim, but you will have to use 700x28 or larger tires for these rims..

The A719 come in 32, 36 and 40 hole versions.. If you needed a 48 hole rear you would need the older T520 Mavic rim which is very similar to the A719 in weight..

You may want to look at prices at peter white cycles for pricing..

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/wheels.asp
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 01:57 AM   #3
Mazama
Bikezilla
 
Mazama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flori-Duh
Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome, mtnbke.

Woo! A forward to add to the Clyde basketball team.

I would go with the 40/48h if possible. I have 40h Velocity Dyad wheels, ST spokes and a Hugi hub. These wheels were built for a tandem and after 4,000 miles have given me no issues at 330#.

Good luck and keep us posted on the build!

We have another tall biker (Maximus) who is in the midst of building a rear wheel as well.
Mazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 10:47 AM   #4
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
It would be the A719 rim, but you will have to use 700x28 or larger tires for these rims...

This is not true, they are 19mm wide and can run 700*23's quite easily. They are the same width as my Velocity's Deep V's. I have a set of the A119, same width 19mm, and have run 23's with no issues. Now, I am more comfortable using 28's which is what I have been running for some time on them, but they can use 23's if you wanted.
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 01:19 PM   #5
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The A719 rim is 24.6mm wide, not 19mm like the standard road rims..

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage....=%272118-36%27
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 01:13 AM   #6
mtnbke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazama View Post
Welcome, mtnbke.

Woo! A forward to add to the Clyde basketball team.
Played a little at the three, mostly a four.

Silly little people always think I'm a five when we play pick up.

I always say I'm no more a natural center because I'm taller than you, than you are a natural point guard because you're shorter than everyone else. The little people never seem to find that funny.

Last edited by mtnbke; 06-11-09 at 01:17 AM.
mtnbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 01:20 AM   #7
mtnbke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazama View Post
Welcome, mtnbke.

Woo! A forward to add to the Clyde basketball team.

I would go with the 40/48h if possible. I have 40h Velocity Dyad wheels, ST spokes and a Hugi hub. These wheels were built for a tandem and after 4,000 miles have given me no issues at 330#.

Good luck and keep us posted on the build!

We have another tall biker (Maximus) who is in the midst of building a rear wheel as well.
I recently had a 48 spoke Dyad built up and its been failing on us every single ride. Since its been built up its been out like five times, and back to the wheelbuilder all five times. Its failing with just me on it, not even both on the tandem.

As for the Mavic question it has to be a Mavic rim. I'm looking into a Chukker or maybe a B43 for the tandem now.

Is there a vintage or old out of stock rim that I might be able to find NOS that Mavic made that would work other than the T520 or A719?

I'm looking for the most bombproof Mavic rim ever in 36, 40, and 48 drill. Thoughts?
mtnbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 02:42 AM   #8
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbke View Post
I recently had a 48 spoke Dyad built up and its been failing on us every single ride. Since its been built up its been out like five times, and back to the wheelbuilder all five times. Its failing with just me on it, not even both on the tandem.

As for the Mavic question it has to be a Mavic rim. I'm looking into a Chukker or maybe a B43 for the tandem now.

Is there a vintage or old out of stock rim that I might be able to find NOS that Mavic made that would work other than the T520 or A719?

I'm looking for the most bombproof Mavic rim ever in 36, 40, and 48 drill. Thoughts?
I'm not sure what is wrong with the A719 or T520?? You limit yourself to Mavic and then are looking for something older that will be extremely difficult to find, even if it ever existed in the first place.
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 05:51 AM   #9
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,323
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
The A719 rim is 24.6mm wide, not 19mm like the standard road rims..

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage....=%272118-36%27
He's looking at the inner width, not the outer width. The generally recommended tire width range is around 1.5 to 2.5 times the inner width.
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 07:54 AM   #10
jaxgtr
Senior Member
 
jaxgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Bikes: Trek ALR 6, Trek CrossRip, Trek X-Caliber 8
Posts: 4,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
He's looking at the inner width, not the outer width. The generally recommended tire width range is around 1.5 to 2.5 times the inner width.
Yep, I was.
__________________
Brian | 2015 Trek Emonda ALR 6 | 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8 | 2014 Trek CrossRip Comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.
jaxgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 02:36 PM   #11
mtnbke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
I'm not sure what is wrong with the A719 or T520?? You limit yourself to Mavic and then are looking for something older that will be extremely difficult to find, even if it ever existed in the first place.
Yep, and yep. You build your bikes up how you want, I'll build mine how I want.

I'm currently in the middle of building up a 'tout Mavic' indexing 8 speed Mavic SSC group. Mavic derailluers, Mavic hubs, Mavic Cassette, Mavic crank, Mavic bottom bracket, Mavic seatpost, Mavic stem, Mavic bars, Mavic headset, Mavic tape, Mavic computer, Mavic pedals, the whole shebang.

LeMond won a tour on an 'All Mavic' bike. Sean Kelly raced on Mavic SSC. Mavic put together the first full groupe. Everybody else has Shimonoculture and a credit card can get you a Campy gruppo vintage or modern in a hurry. Putting together a 'tout Mavic' isn't something you can just buy off the shelf, or even just acquire quickly. Its just another fun way to try and enjoy cycling as a hobby, and appreciate the history of cycling.

Nothing is wrong with the current product Mavic A719 or the old T520.

I'm not concerned with how difficult it will be to find, or whether even you'd choose those rims instead of current product, or even if I can find the vintage/classic rims. I just simply want to know what rims Mavic has ever made that are classified as absolutely bombproof rims in 36, 40, and 48 drill in case I stumble upon some.
mtnbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 02:45 PM   #12
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had Mavic T rims on our tandem. Terrible results! Tried a few other box rims, Sun, and a couple others. Only thing that has held uner our over 400 lb team is Velocity Deep V's in a 48 spoke wheel.

I can't get 1 year out of Mavic rims on my single at 230 lbs. No Mavic fer me!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 03:22 PM   #13
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbke View Post
Yep, and yep. You build your bikes up how you want, I'll build mine how I want.

I'm currently in the middle of building up a 'tout Mavic' indexing 8 speed Mavic SSC group. Mavic derailluers, Mavic hubs, Mavic Cassette, Mavic crank, Mavic bottom bracket, Mavic seatpost, Mavic stem, Mavic bars, Mavic headset, Mavic tape, Mavic computer, Mavic pedals, the whole shebang.

LeMond won a tour on an 'All Mavic' bike. Sean Kelly raced on Mavic SSC. Mavic put together the first full groupe. Everybody else has Shimonoculture and a credit card can get you a Campy gruppo vintage or modern in a hurry. Putting together a 'tout Mavic' isn't something you can just buy off the shelf, or even just acquire quickly. Its just another fun way to try and enjoy cycling as a hobby, and appreciate the history of cycling.
One of my many bikes is a Sean Kelly KAS Team bike... Vitus Aluminum with Full SSC Group, I even have the SSC Tubulars on Mavic 501 hubs..

As far as wheels go you may want to send an email to Peter White and see what he may recommend.. I have a few friends who had wheels built by them with good results..
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 05:54 PM   #14
djnzlab1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rs 20 shimano works

hi,
my LBS reccomended the RS20 for my wheels after I broke a few spokes on my mavric wheels,I weigh around 240.
And I must say the RS20 are really strong wheels for the 300 bucks I paid.
Doug


Last edited by djnzlab1; 06-11-09 at 06:23 PM.
djnzlab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 06:44 PM   #15
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A quick question: Would you be willing to look at or consider 29'er rims? That opens the field to a few more choices, albeit modern/current ones.
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 05:02 AM   #16
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You might want to try calling a tandem vendor and see what they have available in 700c rims.. They may have rims available that are not built up yet.. Someone like Santana Tandems

http://www.santanatandem.com/
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 05:51 AM   #17
andychrist
Devil's Advocate
 
andychrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC & Mid Hudson Valley, NY
Bikes: 1976 Fuji SRR, 2005 Fuji Del Rey, 2009 Mach 2, 2005 Bacchetta Giro 20
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbke View Post
Nothing is wrong with the current product Mavic A719 or the old T520.

I'm not concerned with how difficult it will be to find, or whether even you'd choose those rims instead of current product, or even if I can find the vintage/classic rims. I just simply want to know what rims Mavic has ever made that are classified as absolutely bombproof rims in 36, 40, and 48 drill in case I stumble upon some.
Those Mavics are actually considered the most bombproof of the line by pro wheel builders. Too early for me to vouch for them but I just got a 40 hole tandem wheel for the rear of a bent I'm putting together: T520, laced 4 cross. Minimum size tire recommended by the manufacturer is 28c.
andychrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 10:18 AM   #18
terbennett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chino, California
Bikes: Felt F1,Felt FA, Fuji Club LE and Specialized Allez
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like Mr. Beanz, I'm a Velocity Deep V fan. I haven't had good luck with Mavics- namely the Ksyriums- both the Elite and SLs. That is funny considering those wheels have a max rider weight of 250 lbs and I'm only 210 lbs. However, at your size, I would consider what Socal rider said about contacting Santana Tandems. One of the wheelsets they'll suggest you getting are 48 hole Velocity Deep Vs. My LBS told me that they are bulletproof and most of his road tandem customers are using those. When the owner first saw mine, he said, "You bought tandem wheels?" With the exception of my Felt and Beanz's Lemond, I've only seen Velocity Deep Vs on tandems and fixed gears.
terbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 03:46 PM   #19
mtnbke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
Like Mr. Beanz, I'm a Velocity Deep V fan. I haven't had good luck with Mavics- namely the Ksyriums- both the Elite and SLs. That is funny considering those wheels have a max rider weight of 250 lbs and I'm only 210 lbs. However, at your size, I would consider what Socal rider said about contacting Santana Tandems. One of the wheelsets they'll suggest you getting are 48 hole Velocity Deep Vs. My LBS told me that they are bulletproof and most of his road tandem customers are using those. When the owner first saw mine, he said, "You bought tandem wheels?" With the exception of my Felt and Beanz's Lemond, I've only seen Velocity Deep Vs on tandems and fixed gears.
For our tandem we had a custom wheel built on a Hope 140mm Cassette Hub w/Arai drum brake. The rim was a Velocity Dyad and I let the shop talk me into double butted spokes instead of straight 14g. The Dyad is supposed to be a bombproof rim. However, the wheel failed within the first five miles. It was retensioned, complete sections of the wheel had changed tension, and retrued. Its failed another five times, it has never lasted five miles without going into the brakes. I think something went awry with the wheel build, as the past two failures have happened with only me on the bike.

They are going to rebuild the wheel using a Velocity Chukker. Its like a Deep-V, but a Deep-V is only for very narrow tires as its only 19mm wide. A Chukker actually has a deeper section rim and is wider. Unfortunately the B43 will not have a braking surface or I'd get that.

However, the Mavic inquiry is for an 'all Mavic' bike, so other rim recommendations don't help.

Sadly I might have to wait 'till next season to build up the rear wheel, as I don't think a 36h Mavic rim is going to hold my weight (375lbs/170kilos).

I would love to get a set of the SSC rims as they perfectly match (obviously) the SSC kit I'm building the bike around.

I just picked up the SSC brake levers this week. Can't wait to get 'em in the mail. Found 'em in Belgium.



Anybody remember any historic 36h, 40h, or 48h Mavic rim being considered "bombproof"?
mtnbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 04:13 PM   #20
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Definitely stick with the straight gauge spokes on your new build.. If you have issues again, may be time to find a new builder..
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 04:15 PM   #21
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup, that's the builder's failure. I paid a high end local shop to build a wheel for me. A velocity Deep V, 32 spoke. It didn't make it thru the first 40 mile ride. I took it back and the moron said it's supposed to be that way. I took it apart, put replaced with new spokes, tooka chance and and built it myself.

It now has over 19,000 miles on it with one itsy bitsy minor truing at mile 18000!

I just can't see paying someone to build another wheel. I read Sheldon Brown's site on wheelbuilding. I check out wheels that local builders have built, maybe one out of 5 meet the standards that Sheldon mentions.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 05:49 PM   #22
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbke View Post
For our tandem we had a custom wheel built on a Hope 140mm Cassette Hub w/Arai drum brake. The rim was a Velocity Dyad and I let the shop talk me into double butted spokes instead of straight 14g. The Dyad is supposed to be a bombproof rim. However, the wheel failed within the first five miles. It was retensioned, complete sections of the wheel had changed tension, and retrued. Its failed another five times, it has never lasted five miles without going into the brakes. I think something went awry with the wheel build, as the past two failures have happened with only me on the bike.

They are going to rebuild the wheel using a Velocity Chukker. Its like a Deep-V, but a Deep-V is only for very narrow tires as its only 19mm wide. A Chukker actually has a deeper section rim and is wider. Unfortunately the B43 will not have a braking surface or I'd get that.

However, the Mavic inquiry is for an 'all Mavic' bike, so other rim recommendations don't help.

Sadly I might have to wait 'till next season to build up the rear wheel, as I don't think a 36h Mavic rim is going to hold my weight (375lbs/170kilos).

I would love to get a set of the SSC rims as they perfectly match (obviously) the SSC kit I'm building the bike around.

I just picked up the SSC brake levers this week. Can't wait to get 'em in the mail. Found 'em in Belgium.



Anybody remember any historic 36h, 40h, or 48h Mavic rim being considered "bombproof"?
Thinking about the lack of braking surface, some touring bikes are now being built with road disc brakes. It makes sense a touring bike often has a heavy load and is ridden in all kinds of weather. So maybe it's a rim intended for those bikes.

Really though it could also be that the drawing on the web site is a quick and dirty, AFAICT there are no photographs of the rim online, so until there are we can not be sure.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 08:58 PM   #23
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
Thinking about the lack of braking surface, some touring bikes are now being built with road disc brakes. It makes sense a touring bike often has a heavy load and is ridden in all kinds of weather. So maybe it's a rim intended for those bikes.
With all the problems mtnbke has with finding a strong enough wheel, I'm surprised that he's gone with a hub braking system (drum/rim combo), and he should definitely stay clear of a full hub mount (disc) setup. There's no reason to add more strain to the spokes with braking forces.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-09, 04:53 AM   #24
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
With all the problems mtnbke has with finding a strong enough wheel, I'm surprised that he's gone with a hub braking system (drum/rim combo), and he should definitely stay clear of a full hub mount (disc) setup. There's no reason to add more strain to the spokes with braking forces.
I'm just saying that it's possible that particular rim is designed for disc brakes, not saying that he should go that way. I've seen a few touring bikes with road discs and it looks like a nice way to go. If my lotto group at work wins tonight, I'll let you know in a few weeks how well they work
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-09, 12:44 AM   #25
mtnbke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
Thinking about the lack of braking surface, some touring bikes are now being built with road disc brakes. It makes sense a touring bike often has a heavy load and is ridden in all kinds of weather. So maybe it's a rim intended for those bikes.

Really though it could also be that the drawing on the web site is a quick and dirty, AFAICT there are no photographs of the rim online, so until there are we can not be sure.
Got the email from Velocity. Unlike the Deep-V which they can sell to the fixie crowd by not machining the paint from the braking surface they thought they would go one better with the B43. Even though its the strongest non-commercial rim going, they thought they would completely ignore the Clydedale/tandem/triple/quad/quint market and make sure it had no braking surface.

I've blown multiple tires on my single overheating the rims on mountain descents. I've been terrified on my tandem hitting 60mph while having the ARAI drum brake MAXXED out (with baby in trailer).

I think disc brakes on a tandem are suicidal. Then again with my (our weight) I've 'tested' brakes more so than the next person. Any brake on a tandem that stops working when it overheats shouldn't be on the tandem.

Back to Mavic rims:

Anybody know anything about Mavic Module [fill in blank] rims?
mtnbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:28 PM.