Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 108
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Too big for carbon?

    I've been riding the heck out of my Felt z90 the last three months, and have dropped from 295 to 275. The bike is great for what it is, but I'm starting to ride more aggressive now, and can really feel the aluminum buzz more than I want. I knew the z90 was an entry-level bike when I bought it, but I didn't expect to ride as much as I have, or to want to upgrade this fast either. Well, I bought my 9-year old son a 2008 Fuji Ace kids road bike the other day (he loves it, and is already fast!), and the bike shop had a 2008 Fuji Team Pro on closeout for $1600, and I think I can get them to go lower than that. Full carbon frame with Ultegra group and Dura-Ace rear. A friend of mine recommended that I buy the bike I see myself riding a year from now, not the one that I see myself riding next week.

    So here's the million dollar question: Am I too heavy for carbon right now? I've searched for opinions on carbon frame weight limits and haven't found much. Any thoughts here? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've heard lots of no poblem posts on this issue. But a rider on a Socal roum ride just ate it the other da on a Cannondale 6/1 on Saturday. Stil in the hosptial with bleeding on the brain and two borken hands. He was at the front when the rider behind him saw him go down for no reason. They both ate it. Reports say the guy's bike just snapped into 3 pieces.

    Not sure of all the details and prolly never will be. Maybe he had crashed it befoe and thougt it was fine? Did it just vaproize? Scary thought cause the guy is only about 180'ish. Seen other similar stories on other forums.

    Once a frame is crashed, it might not be detectable but can fail in an instant under stress. I'd worry too much about dumping a carbon frame if I had one. No way would I buy one on ebay.

    I've snapped an aluminum frame about 1 year ago. The free replacement is 3/4 carbon and I worry about it. I'm 230 ish

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Near Sacramento
    Posts
    4,875
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a CF bike, but then I'm a lightweight now. To be honest, I'm not gonna get another. I'm just not that impressed with the ride. It's very neutral feeling, and rather "dead". I prefer riding my steel bike, it has a more lively feel. Might get Ti next or another steel.

    That said, it's great for a rain bike. So that's what I use it for.
    -------

    Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,793
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be interested to hear the responses to this.
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011
    Posts
    908
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a Specialized Roubaix 64cm and weigh 240-250. I'm confident the big frame can take my weight but I upgraded the wheel set.

  6. #6
    Senior Member mkadam68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
    My Bikes
    2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
    Posts
    3,600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This comes up now and again. It's a cycling (urban) myth.

    What Beanz said: yeah, CF can fail catastrophically. But of course, so can aluminum.

    Now, CF is plenty strong for you. I ride a CF frame & so do plenty of other big clydes like me. And these are racer-dudes (like me). I've ridden it since my days at 320-lbs. Currently, I weigh-in around 250+. I ride centuries. I ride epic 10,000+ foot centuries. I ride consecutive 55-minute criteriums. I commute to work on it. Day-in, day-out. Year 'round. I put on about 9,000+ miles per year (had it for 2-1/2 years). I crashed once when my crank broke (aluminum Ultegra, btw). That was 8,000+ miles ago. It does creak, but I think that may be the pedal spindles, not the frame.

    Overall: extremely satisfied with its comfort and strength.

    For us big guys, the issue is: wheels.

    Visit The C-Blog : the blog about cycling.

  7. #7
    fishologist cohophysh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R
    Posts
    1,201
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to be sure, just call the manufacture and ask. Kestrel carbon bikes are tested up to 400 lbs for example.
    We cannot solve problems with the same level of consciousness that created them. A.E.

    1990 Diamond Back MTB
    2007 Leader 736R
    www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
    http://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx



  8. #8
    Biker looking for a ride!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmond Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.
    Posts
    1,480
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a carbon Giant because of there warranty..rode that from 270 to 250....a few years....bought a Kuota....rode it for a few years more....

    I am 200 now and am going aluminum....CF is fine...just get the right CF bike...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a carbon fiber bike and have no problems trusting it. Knowing what I know about aluminum and fatigue limits, I'd never trust an aluminum road frame... even if it didn't ride like a jackhammer.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My Bikes
    2006 Giant OCR Limited
    Posts
    479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 240-250 ish. I ride a Giant OCR Limited (CF) with 20/24 spoke wheels -- no problems.
    You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. - Robin Williams

    Never be frightenend to walk out of step with others because you will walk on ground no one else touches

    Remember, hard work pays off later but procastination pays off now!

    My Rides: '06 Giant OCR Limited & '95 GT OUTPOST

  11. #11
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by priorat View Post
    I've been riding the heck out of my Felt z90 the last three months, and have dropped from 295 to 275. The bike is great for what it is, but I'm starting to ride more aggressive now, and can really feel the aluminum buzz more than I want. I knew the z90 was an entry-level bike when I bought it, but I didn't expect to ride as much as I have, or to want to upgrade this fast either. Well, I bought my 9-year old son a 2008 Fuji Ace kids road bike the other day (he loves it, and is already fast!), and the bike shop had a 2008 Fuji Team Pro on closeout for $1600, and I think I can get them to go lower than that. Full carbon frame with Ultegra group and Dura-Ace rear. A friend of mine recommended that I buy the bike I see myself riding a year from now, not the one that I see myself riding next week.

    So here's the million dollar question: Am I too heavy for carbon right now? I've searched for opinions on carbon frame weight limits and haven't found much. Any thoughts here? Thanks!
    Bikes that have weight limits, will have warnings of that weight limit all over them, because if a bicycle has say a 250lb weight limit, and the company does not warn you of it, they are still liable if it fails due to you being over that limit.

    Carbon Ffbre reinforced plastic is amazingly strong stuff, they use it in building fighter aircraft. Now one issue with it, if you crash, the frame needs to be inspected for damage, because if some of the fibres have been damaged, it loses some of it's strength, which can lead to a cascade type catastrophic failure over a very short period of time.

    This is why you never buy a used CF bike, you never know when it's been dumped. It's also not recommended to buy a used AL bike, because they have a limited life span, due to stress fractures from repeated flexing. Steel frames on the other hand, if you don't let them get rusted, can last a long time, there are steel framed bikes that are over a century old, that can still be ridden (although most are museum pieces now), lots of steel bikes that first saw the road in the early 1960's that are still on the road. Ti is also quite durable, expensive, but durable.

    The road buzz problem with Aluminum is usually because your striving for the rock hard tire, try a 10PSI lower tire pressure, and see if that helps.

  12. #12
    member. heh. lambo_vt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sstorkel View Post
    I ride a carbon fiber bike and have no problems trusting it. Knowing what I know about aluminum and fatigue limits, I'd never trust an aluminum road frame... even if it didn't ride like a jackhammer.
    Do you know anything about fracture toughness in composite structures? Fatigue strength of aluminum is just as relevant, which is to say hardly at all.

    Also, ride quality doesn't come from frame material.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Brookfield, CT
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting topic. I am currently looking into a Cannondale Quick3 which has carbon rear and carbon forks. I weigh in at about 225lbs.

  14. #14
    Oooooooofffff SALESMAN! The Big Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Local trails
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think you're too heavy for the CF, i would wait till i go to about 200 LBS before making the purchase.
    "Why give some drunk the chance to plaster me against a car? That's why I don't even own a bike light, or one of those godawful reflective suits. Because if you've put yourself in a position where someone has to see you in order for you to be safe -- to see you, and to give a @#$% -- you've already blown it."


    http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/p...M08/bike11.jpg

  15. #15
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the shop guys at Woodinville Bicycle is 230 and hammers on a Specialized Tarmac full carbon with carbon cranks, bars, seatpost and Ksyrium SL wheels. I picked his bike up yesterday and it weighs less than a gnat fart, but he's never had any problems with it.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    No Va but ride also in So Md
    My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Posts
    8,857
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
    I have a CF bike, but then I'm a lightweight now. To be honest, I'm not gonna get another. I'm just not that impressed with the ride. It's very neutral feeling, and rather "dead". I prefer riding my steel bike, it has a more lively feel. Might get Ti next or another steel.

    That said, it's great for a rain bike. So that's what I use it for
    .
    The CF ride feel varies considerably between different bikes. That "dead" feel exists with some and not with others. My CF is very stiff and much more responsive feeling that either my Ti or steel bikes. Someone should test ride a number of bikes to see what they like.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plymouth, MA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse SL1
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    From one big bot to another

    I have a Cannondale Sysapse Carbon SL1 with a Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelset and I weigh 270lbs. When I bought the bike my light weight friends cringed at the thought of what was going to happen when I hit my first bump. I have hit it, over and over. I did get a flat on the rear tire, but no rim damage.

    I wouldn't worry about it.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Tarmac sworks
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a full Carbon Tarmac Sworks 2007 Never had an issue I'm 218.

  19. #19
    dolce far niente prxmid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon, Dura Ace
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabelle's Dad View Post
    I have a Cannondale Sysapse Carbon SL1 with a Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelset and I weigh 270lbs. When I bought the bike my light weight friends cringed at the thought of what was going to happen when I hit my first bump. I have hit it, over and over. I did get a flat on the rear tire, but no rim damage.

    I wouldn't worry about it.
    +1 Same bike , same experience, 255lbs

    Love the bike, no issues with wheels or frame

  20. #20
    Longing for a Tail Wind Stickney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I wish I were in South Dakota
    Posts
    447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, even if you don't choose to go with a carbon frame, let me know how your search goes for finding a road bike that doesn't come with a carbon fork.

    Carbon is everywhere now, and despite the rather horrific internet stories (some documented), carbon is being used daily by people of all shapes and sizes (on roads/trails of all manner of upkeep).

    That said, I am 260 lbs, I have a carbon fork, I do wait with anticipation occasionally as I assume it will fail catastrophically. It hasn't yet. In all likliehood (knock on wood), it won't. I have pondered replacing it, but there are pretty minimal options modern steel or TI road forks on the market.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
    Posts
    2,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, ride quality doesn't come from frame material.[/QUOTE]

    I hear this so many times and also from the same people who say carbon will snap in th ecold. I tried many bikes including some that where made by same builders one carbon and one aluminum and there is a difference in ride quality same as there is a difference in materials. Some carbon will ride harsher than alum but some carbon will be really plush and some are a perfect combo. By the way I ride full carbon at 220 and have no fears.
    Best thing about cycling is when I'm at work I'm thinking of cycling, when I'm cycling I'm thinking about cycling.

  22. #22
    member. heh. lambo_vt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by youcoming View Post
    I hear this so many times and also from the same people who say carbon will snap in th ecold. I tried many bikes including some that where made by same builders one carbon and one aluminum and there is a difference in ride quality same as there is a difference in materials. Some carbon will ride harsher than alum but some carbon will be really plush and some are a perfect combo. By the way I ride full carbon at 220 and have no fears.
    It's true. Stiffness comes from geometry moreso than material. You can have a harsh steel frame just as easily as a whippy aluminum or carbon, etc.

    Now, controlling for weight tends to differentiate materials a bit, but in general Carbon Frame A with XYZ Wheels and IJK Tires is not necessarily a smoother ride than Aluminum Frame B with ABC Wheels and EFG Tires...
    Last edited by lambo_vt; 06-18-09 at 03:44 PM.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
    Posts
    2,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lambo_vt View Post
    It's true. Stiffness comes from geometry moreso than material. You can have a harsh steel frame just as easily as a whippy aluminum or carbon, etc.

    Now, controlling for weight tends to differentiate materials a bit, but in general Carbon Frame A with XYZ Wheels and IJK Tires is not necessarily a smoother ride than Aluminum Frame B with ABC Wheels and EFG Tires...
    All I know is I can take my wheels off my harsh riding aluminum frame, swap out the wheels from my smooth riding carbon frame and I still have a harsh riding aluminum frame and a smooth riding carbon frame.
    Best thing about cycling is when I'm at work I'm thinking of cycling, when I'm cycling I'm thinking about cycling.

  24. #24
    member. heh. lambo_vt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by youcoming View Post
    All I know is I can take my wheels off my harsh riding aluminum frame, swap out the wheels from my smooth riding carbon frame and I still have a harsh riding aluminum frame and a smooth riding carbon frame.
    That's because they're different frames. What's your point?

    Edit: That is to say, just because your carbon frame is smoother than your aluminum doesn't mean that's because one is carbon and one is aluminum.

    As a counterexample, I'd guess that a Cannondale touring bike is smoother than a Tarmac SL2.
    Last edited by lambo_vt; 06-18-09 at 04:09 PM.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My Bikes
    2006 Giant OCR Limited
    Posts
    479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought:
    If CF is such a hazard (fails catastrophically & w/out warning), why haven't I seen any commercials on TV from those "Personal Injury" Law Firms wanting to sue the bike manufacturers just like the drug companies???? Surely the P.I. lawyers know easy money when they see it...
    You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. - Robin Williams

    Never be frightenend to walk out of step with others because you will walk on ground no one else touches

    Remember, hard work pays off later but procastination pays off now!

    My Rides: '06 Giant OCR Limited & '95 GT OUTPOST

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •