Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Mass Mover takingcontrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Independence OR
    My Bikes
    KHS XXL
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My longest ride (to date)

    Well I went for my ride today after taking a week off (accidentally ). I have been slowly trieng to increase my distance to prepare for some long group rides I would like to do. Previously I went 17 miles after I had chickened out of a 12 mile group ride the night before. ( I had never ridden 12 miles and was worried). After I conquered the 17 miles I felt a very confident in my "skills" and two days later I decided I would ride from Independence to Corvallis approx 24 miles....... the hills killed me I only made it 14 miles. So this is where the week slipped in (unintentionally I swear). Today I decided to try for 20 miles. I was riding out on buena vista a very nice ride between Independence and Albany. My original intent was to ride 10 miles and then turn around and head home. That didn't happen. As I reached the 10 mile mark I had just finished ever increasing hills that ended right at 10 miles, and there was no way I was going to waste this beautiful straight stretch of down hill in front of me. ( after all I had worked hard for it ) well to wrap up my story I found out 2 things, 1. 30 mph feels very fast on two skinny little wheels....especially with 464lbs on them. 2. I can ride 20 miles, I made it all the way to Albany Oh, btw Hillpumper if you read this I need your Phone # we could have met

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NE Tennessee
    My Bikes
    2008 Cannondale F5
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the personal best. I have just started riding and so far have done 2 10 miler's. Thinking of trying to hit 15 tomorrow. Gotta see if my brother is up to it.
    Remember, no matter where you go....there you are.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Wylde06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NW Ohio
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Six13
    Posts
    749
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by takingcontrol View Post
    1. 30 mph feels very fast on two skinny little wheels
    When I did the Tour de Cure 2 weeks ago, I was going down a hill and topped off at 33.9 mph...I started to lightly use the brakes because there was a turn at the bottom...plus I had never gone that fast before...


    And like BillMoore said, congrats on the personal best. Im sure your next one will blow that one out of the water

  4. #4
    Newby
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My Bikes
    09 Diamonback Kalamar
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, just yesterday I did my first ride that was more than 10 miles. I rode 21.3 miles, went home, and then came back later to do another 10 miles as I felt I could have done more but the better half was calling for me to come home.

    Anyhow, congrats! I know when I looked down at my odometer at it said 21.3 I was jumping for joy!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hill-Pumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
    My Bikes
    2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1,2013 Lynskey R330, 2008 Kona Jake
    Posts
    774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go TC!!! You will be doing that 40 miles in no time. I think I know which hill you are talking about, it's a good one. I am working nights this week, so meeting may not have worked out, but I need to try my new bike out soon, so we will get to do a ride together soon.

  6. #6
    Senior Member landshark1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job! I've kept a spreadsheet with all ride's time, average speed, distance, max speed & comments since I have gotten back into cycling. It is nice to look back in time and see progress that has been made! (If you like I could email you a blank copy of the spreadsheet, it automatically tallies mileage, time and average speed for the year.)

    The higher speeds will become more comfortable with time. With me, at the beginning of the year, 30 mph scares me at the end of summer I'm not nervous 'till around 40. I'm sure those who live in hill country really fly!

  7. #7
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,014
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Wait til you have to go into the left lane on a 55 mph road to pass a car. THAT is a rush.....especially when you realize you just passed a State Cop in an unmarked car....on your bicycle.

    (I have a 4 lane that I need to occasionally ride that has a bike route on a wide shoulder and a long downhill, and it was blocked by a breakdown. I had to merge into the traffic lane and I was actually moving faster than the traffic because of the downhill, and being all tucked and aerodynamic down on my aerobars.)
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  8. #8
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Wait til you have to go into the left lane on a 55 mph road to pass a car. THAT is a rush.....especially when you realize you just passed a State Cop in an unmarked car....on your bicycle.

    (I have a 4 lane that I need to occasionally ride that has a bike route on a wide shoulder and a long downhill, and it was blocked by a breakdown. I had to merge into the traffic lane and I was actually moving faster than the traffic because of the downhill, and being all tucked and aerodynamic down on my aerobars.)
    Try doing that in a 40km/h zone, looking down at your computer and seeing 45km/h flashing back at you. Yeah, you would want to frame that ticket...

  9. #9
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats man!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    My Bikes
    Novara Divano 2009
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have passed a couple of cops on one of the routes we do and he is in speed trap mode. I keep wondering if he checks our speed just for fun *LOL*. Could you imagine taking the ticket to court. Yes your honor I was doing 45 in a 40 on a push bike *LOL*

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    My Bikes
    '89 66cm Cannondale 3.0, '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 JxL Cannondale R1000 Tandem, '86 Cannondale ST800 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs.
    Posts
    786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by takingcontrol View Post
    Well I went for my ride today after taking a week off (accidentally ). I have been slowly trieng to increase my distance to prepare for some long group rides I would like to do. Previously I went 17 miles after I had chickened out of a 12 mile group ride the night before. ( I had never ridden 12 miles and was worried). After I conquered the 17 miles I felt a very confident in my "skills" and two days later I decided I would ride from Independence to Corvallis approx 24 miles....... the hills killed me I only made it 14 miles. So this is where the week slipped in (unintentionally I swear). Today I decided to try for 20 miles. I was riding out on buena vista a very nice ride between Independence and Albany. My original intent was to ride 10 miles and then turn around and head home. That didn't happen. As I reached the 10 mile mark I had just finished ever increasing hills that ended right at 10 miles, and there was no way I was going to waste this beautiful straight stretch of down hill in front of me. ( after all I had worked hard for it ) well to wrap up my story I found out 2 things, 1. 30 mph feels very fast on two skinny little wheels....especially with 464lbs on them. 2. I can ride 20 miles, I made it all the way to Albany Oh, btw Hillpumper if you read this I need your Phone # we could have met
    Lets see 464 pounds and 20 miles.

    We need a goofy Clydesdale metric to compare personal bests. I'm proposing the waddle-o-meter or Clydecalc. Pounds multiplied by miles.

    464/20=9280 on the Clydecalc.

    If a 145lb UCI Protour rider wanted to put up that kind of effort on the ClydeCalc, they'd have to ride 64 miles. So you're not exactly riding a Tour de France stage yet, but you're a third of the way there! The best thing is that it gets easier. That first level of basic fitness is the hardest. After you 'can ride' the bike, everything else just gets easier.

    My personal best this season is 28 miles. I weigh a svelte 375lbs. My effort was good for 10500 on the Clydecalc. If you can go just three more miles (a 23 mile ride) you'll have me beat!
    Last edited by mtnbke; 06-23-09 at 09:42 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    My Bikes
    '89 66cm Cannondale 3.0, '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 JxL Cannondale R1000 Tandem, '86 Cannondale ST800 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs.
    Posts
    786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clydecalc (miles multiplied by pounds) - Season's best efforts to date.

    Clydecalc:

    Mtnbke (375lbs & 28 miles) - 10500
    Takingcontrol (464lbs & 20 miles) - 9280

    Athenacalc (only list score - not weight):

    no entries

    Update the Clydcalc seasons best efforts list with your Clydecalc score people.

    How 'bout we update the list with some Tour de France riders after stage 12, the longest of the Tour this year at 211.5k (131.4 miles). Can anyone get their Clydecalc score as high as a Tour rider (over 19,000)?

  13. #13
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,014
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well, my best unadjusted ride to date was 167 miles in 15 hours, at 257 pounds at that time.....

    So, on the Clydecalc scale: 167*257= 42919?

    A better metric might be to ratio the weight for a percentage, in this case and them multiply that decimal times the miles.

    Clyde Weight:257
    TdF Weight: 165

    257/165*167=call it 1.56*167 miles=260.11 miles adjusted for effort as compared to a 165 pound climber....


    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbke View Post
    Clydecalc (miles multiplied by pounds) - Season's best efforts to date.

    Clydecalc:

    Mtnbke (375lbs & 28 miles) - 10500
    Takingcontrol (464lbs & 20 miles) - 9280

    Athenacalc (only list score - not weight):

    no entries

    Update the Clydcalc seasons best efforts list with your Clydecalc score people.

    How 'bout we update the list with some Tour de France riders after stage 12, the longest of the Tour this year at 211.5k (131.4 miles). Can anyone get their Clydecalc score as high as a Tour rider (over 19,000)?
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  14. #14
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbke View Post
    Clydecalc (miles multiplied by pounds) - Season's best efforts to date.

    Clydecalc:

    Mtnbke (375lbs & 28 miles) - 10500
    Takingcontrol (464lbs & 20 miles) - 9280

    Athenacalc (only list score - not weight):

    no entries

    Update the Clydcalc seasons best efforts list with your Clydecalc score people.

    How 'bout we update the list with some Tour de France riders after stage 12, the longest of the Tour this year at 211.5k (131.4 miles). Can anyone get their Clydecalc score as high as a Tour rider (over 19,000)?
    Unfortunately you picked a scale that 99.999% of the worlds population does not use, and 99.999% of those do not understand. The American system of measure. You need a system that works whether you measure weight in pounds, weight in kg with distance in miles or kilometres.

  15. #15
    Mass Mover takingcontrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Independence OR
    My Bikes
    KHS XXL
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    Unfortunately you picked a scale that 99.999% of the worlds population does not use, and 99.999% of those do not understand. The American system of measure. You need a system that works whether you measure weight in pounds, weight in kg with distance in miles or kilometres.
    OK, just for the record, Have you not been paying attention??? When has America done anything because it makes sense? We still mint the penny and print the 1$ bill for Christ sake. Spaceballs was not just a movie making fun of Star Wars, it was also an allegory of the U.S. (we being planet spaceball and everyone else druidia ) So while most of the world enjoys easy dec 10 conversions, we will hold to our SAE and expect everyone else to change .......the previous post in no way reflects the views of this station or its affiliates. <--(another american treat.. to many lawyers)

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    My Bikes
    '89 66cm Cannondale 3.0, '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 JxL Cannondale R1000 Tandem, '86 Cannondale ST800 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs.
    Posts
    786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by takingcontrol View Post
    OK, just for the record, Have you not been paying attention??? When has America done anything because it makes sense? We still mint the penny and print the 1$ bill for Christ sake. Spaceballs was not just a movie making fun of Star Wars, it was also an allegory of the U.S. (we being planet spaceball and everyone else druidia ) So while most of the world enjoys easy dec 10 conversions, we will hold to our SAE and expect everyone else to change .......the previous post in no way reflects the views of this station or its affiliates. <--(another american treat.. to many lawyers)
    In all fairness I think the UK has it on the US.

    Still clinging to the pound instead of the Euro. Measuring weight in stone (making accurate comparisons impossible).

    Now that's stubborn...

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    My Bikes
    '89 66cm Cannondale 3.0, '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 JxL Cannondale R1000 Tandem, '86 Cannondale ST800 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs.
    Posts
    786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Well, my best unadjusted ride to date was 167 miles in 15 hours, at 257 pounds at that time.....

    So, on the Clydecalc scale: 167*257= 42919?

    A better metric might be to ratio the weight for a percentage, in this case and them multiply that decimal times the miles.

    Clyde Weight:257
    TdF Weight: 165

    257/165*167=call it 1.56*167 miles=260.11 miles adjusted for effort as compared to a 165 pound climber....
    The goal of the scale wasn't really to compare mileage with a TdF rider. Rather to give a Clydesdale a motivating frame of reference for their rides. It reflects how much more difficult it is to ride at 400lbs, and also reflects how many more miles you'll have to ride as you slim down.

    Using a proportional forumula minimizes the effort and the progress.

    Its a goofy formula. Its not supposed to be 'perfect', just fun, and somewhat informative. Besides, everyone knows that '11' is louder than '10'.

    I think your 42919 score will stand for some time...that is, unless I can get up to 114 miles without managing to lose a single pound. To that end, I think we should limit posting scores to only the distance of a metric century. Anything beyond that assumes a level of fitness that goes beyond the context of this community. Once you start doing 70+ mile rides you're far and away beyond the scope of the Clydesdale community.
    Last edited by mtnbke; 06-24-09 at 01:14 AM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by takingcontrol View Post
    OK, just for the record, Have you not been paying attention??? When has America done anything because it makes sense? We still mint the penny and print the 1$ bill for Christ sake. Spaceballs was not just a movie making fun of Star Wars, it was also an allegory of the U.S. (we being planet spaceball and everyone else druidia ) So while most of the world enjoys easy dec 10 conversions, we will hold to our SAE and expect everyone else to change .......the previous post in no way reflects the views of this station or its affiliates. <--(another american treat.. to many lawyers)
    Naw Canada's actually got you beat, after spending Billions of dollars to convert, they simply quit, so somethings got converted and some didn't. While you drive by the kilometre, your house is still built 16 inches on centre. We also still have the penny, but the $1 bill disappeared over a decade ago.... The governments argument there was that a $1 bill lasts 6 months, a $1 coin lasts 25 years, although it costs 10 times as much to make the coin, overall it's cheaper.

  19. #19
    Bikes fear me! RhinoBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pendleton, SC
    My Bikes
    Specialize Sirrus Sport, Walmart crap
    Posts
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=mtnbke;9151395]Clydecalc (miles multiplied by pounds) - Season's best efforts to date.

    Clydecalc:

    Mtnbke (375lbs & 28 miles) - 10500
    Takingcontrol (464lbs & 20 miles) - 9280

    I rode my first metric century last Saturday. 96 degrees, made a wrong turn, corrected, and the last to get home (4 hrs, 49 min, 13.5 mph. I kept thinking I'm twice their size, I should get extra credit. Add to your Clydecalc list:
    Rhinobiker (265 lbs & 65 miles) - 17225
    a Clydesdale just doesn't describe my style. It's way to gentle...Started at 326 pounds April 08...
    Secret Santa gave me a old mountain bike - I killed it after 200 miles.
    ... bought another mountain bike and bent the back axle after 200 miles,
    ... used the income tax refund for the Sirrus Sport and love going to and from work. The Upstate of South Carolina is a beautiful place to ride. 265 lbs June09

  20. #20
    Neil_B
    Guest
    [QUOTE=RhinoBiker;9208432]
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbke View Post
    Clydecalc (miles multiplied by pounds) - Season's best efforts to date.

    Clydecalc:

    Mtnbke (375lbs & 28 miles) - 10500
    Takingcontrol (464lbs & 20 miles) - 9280

    I rode my first metric century last Saturday. 96 degrees, made a wrong turn, corrected, and the last to get home (4 hrs, 49 min, 13.5 mph. I kept thinking I'm twice their size, I should get extra credit. Add to your Clydecalc list:
    Rhinobiker (265 lbs & 65 miles) - 17225
    Let me weigh in, so to speak....

    My Clydecalc scores include my 2007 century - 103 miles at 250 - 25750. My recent tour featured two 60 mile days at 327 pounds - me plus 40 pounds of year. That's a Clydecalc score of 19620 for two days. Daily average for the tour was 12644.

  21. #21
    Wookie Fred chewybrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Florida
    My Bikes
    '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbke View Post
    Clydecalc (miles multiplied by pounds) - Season's best efforts to date.

    Clydecalc:

    Mtnbke (375lbs & 28 miles) - 10500
    Takingcontrol (464lbs & 20 miles) - 9280

    Athenacalc (only list score - not weight):

    no entries

    Update the Clydcalc seasons best efforts list with your Clydecalc score people.

    How 'bout we update the list with some Tour de France riders after stage 12, the longest of the Tour this year at 211.5k (131.4 miles). Can anyone get their Clydecalc score as high as a Tour rider (over 19,000)?

    Chewybrian (215 lbs X 375 miles) = 80,625 standard clyde units

    (I think a couple clyde randos can beat that, too--maybe Clifton?)
    Last edited by chewybrian; 07-04-09 at 07:06 AM.
    Campione Del Mondo Immaginario

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •