Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Town of Islington, Ontario
    My Bikes
    25yr old Ralegh, Fuji Absolute
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Been a month and a half

    I got on my bike yesterday morning and the seat started turning sidways and the distance between my rear and the pedals was closing in. took a while to get the right height again.
    It didn't take long for the rear tire to start looking half flat either.

    Get home, I pulled out my foot pump and put the shreader extension on the presta valve and for the life of me could not get air into the tire. OK, hook up the hose to the compressor in my garage and get my automotive tire guage/filler thingy. Try for 10 mins, my tire started looking a little sad now that I've let out more air than I got in.

    I go ask my neighbour who is an avid cyclist for a pump. He pulls out two, one for a shreader valve and one for a presta valve. Man, do you think I could get anymore air into the tire. Go back to my neighbour and ask him to lend a hand. Took him less than 2 mins and he had me back up to riding pressure. And yest, I opened up the presta valve.
    I feel like an idiot. Gotta get me a pump for the presta valve. Anyone have any recomendations?
    '09 Fuji Absolute <<< PIC..
    25yr old Raleigh 10sp

    "If you don't wear a helmet, maybe you don't deep down think you have anything to protect." http://www.bikeforums.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

  2. #2
    Senior Member hendrick81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sandy Eggo
    My Bikes
    2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4
    Posts
    2,123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most pumps are in the $20 to $40 price range from what i have seen and bought, anything more than that is kinda over kill. I have a bontrager pump that i have had for 2 years, and have had no problems with it. Cost me $30.

  3. #3
    Mass Mover takingcontrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Independence OR
    My Bikes
    KHS XXL
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this pump, the head is good for presta and shrader valves

  4. #4
    Mass Mover takingcontrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Independence OR
    My Bikes
    KHS XXL
    Posts
    303
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by takingcontrol View Post
    I use this pump, the head is good for presta and shrader valves
    oops her is link http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017KQ8WQ/...0&linkCode=asn

  5. #5
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
    I got on my bike yesterday morning and the seat started turning sidways and the distance between my rear and the pedals was closing in. took a while to get the right height again.
    It didn't take long for the rear tire to start looking half flat either.

    Get home, I pulled out my foot pump and put the shreader extension on the presta valve and for the life of me could not get air into the tire. OK, hook up the hose to the compressor in my garage and get my automotive tire guage/filler thingy. Try for 10 mins, my tire started looking a little sad now that I've let out more air than I got in.

    I go ask my neighbour who is an avid cyclist for a pump. He pulls out two, one for a shreader valve and one for a presta valve. Man, do you think I could get anymore air into the tire. Go back to my neighbour and ask him to lend a hand. Took him less than 2 mins and he had me back up to riding pressure. And yest, I opened up the presta valve.
    I feel like an idiot. Gotta get me a pump for the presta valve. Anyone have any recomendations?
    Do you have a frame pump for the road? I suggest the Road Morph.

  6. #6
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've got a Specialized pump (Air Tool). I may have paid about $30. Got a smarthead on it. Can pump presta or schraeder without messing with the head, or adapters.

    Like Hendrick says, anything more is overkill. I know of one rider so happy that his $120 pump takes 10 fewer strokes to fill his tire. Ya think 10 strokes makes a difference when I'm about to ride my bike 100 miles for the fun of it?

  7. #7
    Tilting with windmills txvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas 'Burbs
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    I've got a Specialized pump (Air Tool). I may have paid about $30. Got a smarthead on it. Can pump presta or schraeder without messing with the head, or adapters.

    Like Hendrick says, anything more is overkill. I know of one rider so happy that his $120 pump takes 10 fewer strokes to fill his tire. Ya think 10 strokes makes a difference when I'm about to ride my bike 100 miles for the fun of it?
    Huh? I thought more strokes was always better.

    Oh wait.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Town of Islington, Ontario
    My Bikes
    25yr old Ralegh, Fuji Absolute
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a floor pump would be great as a second pump but I need to find me a frame pump first.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Do you have a frame pump for the road? I suggest the Road Morph.
    No, That is what I'm looking for. And gathering from a few searches, why pay exorborent prices for a frame pump? I will check out my LBS to see what they have, they do carry some Topeak accesseoris. Looks like a lunch time ride later today to get me out of the office.

    ThanX Folks..
    '09 Fuji Absolute <<< PIC..
    25yr old Raleigh 10sp

    "If you don't wear a helmet, maybe you don't deep down think you have anything to protect." http://www.bikeforums.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Eastern Iowa
    My Bikes
    surly cross check
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with a frame pump(road morph) after several sessions of sitting on the side of the path waiting for someone with a pump to roll by and stop to help. I also have a Blackburn floor pump in my garage, but rarely use it because I usually just top up the tires when I am out and about and realize I need a little more PSI.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •