Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Subjectively Insane MilitantPotato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Louis, Missouri
    My Bikes
    '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx
    Posts
    804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Too tall for a wet T-shirt contest, looking for rain gear.

    Anyone use reasonably priced rain gear for the vertically proficient?
    Preferably no insulation, since I'll be using it year round.
    Loose fit also, would be preferred.
    I'm 6'8" with a 36-37" inseam.

    Foxwear look good for pants, if not way over priced.

  2. #2
    foolishly delirious RatedZeroHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Panhandle of NE
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try Cabela's I bought a GoreTex rain coat from them it is very very good... never gotten me wet...

    it was $200 and no pants... good stuff though...

    I'm 6'6" 36" btw...

  3. #3
    Bikezilla Mazama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Flori-Duh
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Mazama
    Posts
    881
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at Columbia "Thunderstorm" jacket and pants near the bottom. I'm taller than both of you and their 3XT was almost too big!

    http://www.bigcamo.com/big-tall-water-wind-proof.php

    Besides, this site is endorsed by "THE FRIDGE" Perry

    http://www.bigcamo.com/
    14,000 miles and rolling...

  4. #4
    Subjectively Insane MilitantPotato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Louis, Missouri
    My Bikes
    '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx
    Posts
    804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazama View Post
    Look at Columbia "Thunderstorm" jacket and pants near the bottom. I'm taller than both of you and their 3XT was almost too big!

    http://www.bigcamo.com/big-tall-water-wind-proof.php

    Besides, this site is endorsed by "THE FRIDGE" Perry

    http://www.bigcamo.com/
    That looks great, thank you!

    How has the jacket and pants treated you in different climates?

  5. #5
    Triathlon in my future??? flip18436572's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southwest Iowa
    My Bikes
    Junk, that is why I am here. :-)
    Posts
    2,193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Cabella's Dry-Plus. It says under that, "It keeps you dry_plus it breathes". It has never had a problem with me getting wet because of the jacket. YMMV
    2007 Jamis Ventura Comp
    2006 Jamis Explorer 2.0
    2000 Specialized Hardrock (bought used)
    Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun

  6. #6
    Bikezilla Mazama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Flori-Duh
    My Bikes
    Co-Motion Mazama
    Posts
    881
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought them for Trekking in the rainforests of Uganda. Ran into a couple of downpours and they worked great. These are "breathable as well. The pants have vents in the side.

    The material is thin, so you would need a liner/ clothing underneath if you are in a cold climate. I live in Florida, so it has not been snow-tested.
    14,000 miles and rolling...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitantPotato View Post
    Anyone use reasonably priced rain gear for the vertically proficient?
    Preferably no insulation, since I'll be using it year round.
    Loose fit also, would be preferred.
    I'm 6'8" with a 36-37" inseam.

    Foxwear look good for pants, if not way over priced.
    If you think Foxwear is overpriced then you best go to whichever big box store you like or the second hand. The prices at Foxwear are dead cheap. Are you really expecting to find a decent pair of rainpants for $20? There are others who make clothing in your size, but they all cost more than Foxwear. $104.50 for a custom pair of rainpants is a bargain.

    BTW, I'm a very satisfied customer of Foxware.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    My Bikes
    Jamis Coda
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best option for year round cycling rain gear is a Rain cape and fenders. Carradice even makes theirs (which they call a Poncho) in a extra large size. If need be you could also get some spats (I've heard good things about Rainlegs as well, but I never have issues with my thighs getting wet with my cape on.)
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    2008 Jamis Coda
    1999 Trek 930

    ISO: Carradice SQR Rucksack Harness.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT set up for commuting
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sweat so much that rain gear becomes counter productive. A good wool jersey, some clear glasses to keep the rain out of my eyes, a hat or helmet cover, and some tights or knee warmers seem to be the best option (for me). I will occasionally throw in a "wind-stopper" jacket (essentially crushed neoprene over an insulating layer) for cold, wet, and windy conditions. YMMV...

  10. #10
    Subjectively Insane MilitantPotato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Louis, Missouri
    My Bikes
    '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx
    Posts
    804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    If you think Foxwear is overpriced then you best go to whichever big box store you like or the second hand. The prices at Foxwear are dead cheap. Are you really expecting to find a decent pair of rainpants for $20? There are others who make clothing in your size, but they all cost more than Foxwear. $104.50 for a custom pair of rainpants is a bargain.

    BTW, I'm a very satisfied customer of Foxware.
    I want to be dry. A couple of vents placed in decent locations would be great. Asking for a set of pants with vents to be under $50 bucks isn't being a cheap ass, just practical.

    I want something that keeps me dry, and allows venting if it's needed. No reason that should cost a weeks worth of food.

    If it was as simple as going to any store near here I'd do that, but it's not. I've not found any second hand clothing that would fit since I was 14 years old, rain pants would be a one in a million find.

    I'm sure foxwear is great, they look amazing, just not what I want or need. I'm not bashing foxwear, or any other company that sells raingear for $$$$$, just saying for me, it's wasted money when all I want is to get from A>B without being soaked to the bone. But thanks for the helpful post.
    You've got a bike, so you gotta move.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitantPotato View Post
    I want to be dry. A couple of vents placed in decent locations would be great. Asking for a set of pants with vents to be under $50 bucks isn't being a cheap ass, just practical.

    I want something that keeps me dry, and allows venting if it's needed. No reason that should cost a weeks worth of food.

    If it was as simple as going to any store near here I'd do that, but it's not. I've not found any second hand clothing that would fit since I was 14 years old, rain pants would be a one in a million find.

    I'm sure foxwear is great, they look amazing, just not what I want or need. I'm not bashing foxwear, or any other company that sells raingear for $$$$$, just saying for me, it's wasted money when all I want is to get from A>B without being soaked to the bone. But thanks for the helpful post.
    As someone who rides in the rain a lot year round, I'll say that you'll want something cycling specific for a number of reasons, the first being fit and comfort.

    Non-cycling rainpants tend to bunch and pull up at the knees while lifting the ankle, while at the same time dropping in the seat (AKA plumbers butt). The cuffs on non-cycling specific rainpants most likely will be too wide with no way to secure them (velco for example) and can easily get caught in the chain and ripped up.

    Cheap plastic coated material tends to hold a lot of moisture and get very clammy, even with active ventilation.

    If you really want a pair of rainpants that will last, keep you dry, and fit properly then you need to buy a quality pair of cycling specific pants. If you want something to 'make do' then get whatever, but it'll cost you more in the long run when you have to replace them. There are a number of companies making high quality rain gear in the States and Canada that might be able to make you a pair to fit, but they aren't priced like Wal*Mart.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitantPotato View Post
    I want to be dry. A couple of vents placed in decent locations would be great. Asking for a set of pants with vents to be under $50 bucks isn't being a cheap ass, just practical.

    I want something that keeps me dry, and allows venting if it's needed. No reason that should cost a weeks worth of food.

    If it was as simple as going to any store near here I'd do that, but it's not. I've not found any second hand clothing that would fit since I was 14 years old, rain pants would be a one in a million find.

    I'm sure foxwear is great, they look amazing, just not what I want or need. I'm not bashing foxwear, or any other company that sells raingear for $$$$$, just saying for me, it's wasted money when all I want is to get from A>B without being soaked to the bone. But thanks for the helpful post.
    Sometimes you need to think outside the box.

    For example full fenders, most water that gets on your lower extremities from rain, is actually thrown up by the wheels. Combine this with a rain cape and you should end up nice and dry without the special pants, well designed rain capes will fold into an amazingly small space, cheap plastic ones are available and cheap, better ones that last will cost a little more. One large enough to extend out over your hands and you will be drier then any rain jacket/pants. Capes can be fully waterproof, and you stay drier then even the best rain jackets/pants, because they are really well ventilated.

    One source of them is army surplus, as the military often used rain capes in the past, since they are really effective, they probably still do. You want a high collar though that will fit under the back of your helmet, so you don't get wet neck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •