Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lewisburg, PA
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR 2
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ugh...it happened again! (crankarm issues)

    So the other day my left crankarm came off (!!!) after a short, but steep climb. I have been pushing myself and went up a steep hill on my second chainring and in the lower-center of my rear cog (the chainline was pretty straight). Anyway, I pulled over, re-attached the crankarm and took the back/slow way home just to be safe. I didn't get a chance to get my bike to the shop over the weekend, so last night I took a look at it...took the crankarm back off...made sure everything "looked right"...re-attached the crankarm (tightened evenly)...and then gave everything else a "once over". Today I went back out and in less than a half-mile I looked down and the crankarm was coming off again! I wasn't even pushing real hard yet!

    My neighbor is an avid cyclist, so he and I were talking...he said that there has got to be something wrong with the crankset...even being an FSA Omega. I'm planning to get my bike back out to my LBS tomorrow as it's been less than 60 days since I've had the bike and they do a free tune-up within 60 days. I looked at the crankarm and it has a sticker with a weight limit of 110 lbs. At 265 are there any cranksets that shouldn't make me nervous????

  2. #2
    Senior Member c_m_shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paradise, TX
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check, Redline Monocog 29er, Generic Track bike, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker
    Posts
    1,526
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ride it loose, you have ruined the crankarm, time for a new one. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a 2 piece with outboard bearings. The Shimano Hollowtech II put on my Cross Check has been holding up nicely.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.
    May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey

  3. #3
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've heard lots of negative stuf as far as FSA, but ostly form offroaders. I had the Bonti onmy Lemond, which actually is a Truvativ BB. Whenit was time, I replaced with an Ultegra outboard bearing setup. I pikced it up on an ebay online store "wheelandsprocket" Paid $149 with the BB included. Much better and much stiffer and durable. No slop and rock solid.

    Took it to the shop paid $25 to install. The outboard bearing stuff is nice! I myself would pass on the aftermarket stuff.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,401
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markdavid570 View Post
    So the other day my left crankarm came off (!!!) after a short, but steep climb. I have been pushing myself and went up a steep hill on my second chainring and in the lower-center of my rear cog (the chainline was pretty straight). Anyway, I pulled over, re-attached the crankarm and took the back/slow way home just to be safe. I didn't get a chance to get my bike to the shop over the weekend, so last night I took a look at it...took the crankarm back off...made sure everything "looked right"...re-attached the crankarm (tightened evenly)...and then gave everything else a "once over". Today I went back out and in less than a half-mile I looked down and the crankarm was coming off again! I wasn't even pushing real hard yet!

    My neighbor is an avid cyclist, so he and I were talking...he said that there has got to be something wrong with the crankset...even being an FSA Omega. I'm planning to get my bike back out to my LBS tomorrow as it's been less than 60 days since I've had the bike and they do a free tune-up within 60 days. I looked at the crankarm and it has a sticker with a weight limit of 110 lbs. At 265 are there any cranksets that shouldn't make me nervous????
    Hard to believe that anyone makes a crank with a weight limit of 110lbs unless it is a kids bike. They need to be torqued down with a torque wrench. This look to be a poor installation job, and it may be ruined as mentioned above. As Beanz said, the Shimano stuff is much better then the cheap aftermarket cranks.

  5. #5
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The FSA Omega is the MegaExo BB equivalent to their JIS Square Taper Vero crankset. It's not expensive, but it will hold up well if it's maintained (meaning - properly installed and keep the torque correct on the retaining bolts.) I've got over 9000 miles on a Vero crank and they're barely starting to give a little flex now.

    Unless the 110 sticker specifically says "rider weight limit" (I'll wager $5 it doesn't), then it's probably a b.c.d. indicator. The Omega is a 110bcd compact crank.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lewisburg, PA
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR 2
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sticker does not say that it's a rider limit, but I wasn't completely sure what it was referring to.

    I've had the bike for about two months and I haven't gotten it back in for my first free tune up, so I'm planning to take it in today. I just wonder if this is something they'll take care of for free, or if they'll consider it something that I caused.

    In terms of cransets...it sounds like Shimano is the way to go. What about Truvativ? (as it is used on Masi bikes)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
    If you ride it loose, you have ruined the crankarm, time for a new one.
    Not necessarily true. I had similar problems with a square taper crank (Shimano Deore LX?) and a UN54 bottom bracket. Had the crank come loose a couple of times. The solution, for me, was to install the crank and torque the bolt to spec using a torque wrench. Never had a problem with it after that...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markdavid570 View Post
    The sticker does not say that it's a rider limit, but I wasn't completely sure what it was referring to.
    110mm sounds like the recommended length for the bottom bracket spindle. They range from 103-127mm, with 110 and 113mm being pretty common for road bikes with double cranks.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lewisburg, PA
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR 2
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I took my bike to the LBS and told them everything that had happened...and the guy asked if I had put the other bolt back in. Hmm. I guess that was the problem! There is another bolt that apparently was lost the first time this happened. Since I didn't find it or even know about it (my fault, I know) it wouldn't stay on or be safe to ride. Hopefully now it won't happen again.

    As for the sticker with the weight...I was wrong yet again. It says 95-130 in. lbs.

  10. #10
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markdavid570 View Post
    As for the sticker with the weight...I was wrong yet again. It says 95-130 in. lbs.
    Torque setting.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Pinyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    1,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you, I would take it easy going down large, twisty hills for the next 100 miles or so. Putting that second bolt on there may have fixed the problem, but I agree with c_m_shooter, that once they come loose a couple of times, the crank-arm could be ruined. Those crank-arms have to fit very tightly with no deformations where the softer alloy metal of the crank-arm touches the hardened steel of the bottom bracket. If it works loose again, then the metal on the crank-arm is deformed beyond repair, and you at least need to get a new crank-arm for that side.


    Be careful.
    My Bike Blog
    ------
    1987 Trek 1000 Aluminum
    1993 Cannondale M300
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lewisburg, PA
    My Bikes
    Giant FCR 2
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll see what they say tomorrow when I pick it up and go from there. Thanks everyone!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •