Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Member RyanML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Trek 820 with slicks
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My first metric century and other thoughts...

    I didn't realized I did it till I got home and my computer read 67.3 miles, 15.8mph average speed, 4:16 ride time (5 hours including stops). I even hit a new max speed on the flats at 33.2 mph. My personal best before then was 54 miles (last weekend). I planned on 60 miles today so I rode out 30 miles and turned around so I had no choice but to do the 60 . I felt good as I was approaching home so I took a little scenic side path for a couple miles. I've only been riding for about 2 months and the human body is an amazing machine. Not saying MY body in particular but the way God designed it is truly remarkable. I am gaining by leaps and bounds and I think I have crossed the point of bicycle addiction. I started at 328 pounds and I am down to about 300# now and feeling great.

    So, advice...

    I have an old Trek 820 MTB with road tires and a brooks B17 and it rides great. It is also my commuter bike and has fenders, etc. How much improvement in time/distance would there be if I upgraded to an actual road bike? I love the way my current bike is geared though. I thought maybe I should drop more weight, maybe set a goal to get a real road bike at 250#.

    And physically...of course I got the sore butt...after 20 miles I stopped for a min, then once about every 10 miles for a min. or two and when I got back on the bike it felt better for a bit. It is better, however, than my last seat which was a brooks gel seat. Does it just need more time to break in? Should I buy some padded cycling pants and are they worth it? Using compression shorts underneath mesh shorts at the moment and it seems comfortable, but on a 67 mile ride I found it's rough on the old tush. Also, I have a bum left knee from an old injury and it tends to get sore (pulled my ACL/MCL/PCL). Do knee wraps help with this problem when cycling or will it just make my legs hot?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,375
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congraulations on the ride.
    Get in about 1,000 miles then get a rode bike.
    Did you ride in metric or miles?
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  3. #3
    foolishly delirious RatedZeroHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Panhandle of NE
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my right knee cleaned out...

    kind of a slight MCL stretch was my deal and some torn cartlidge...

    once I started biking it got all kinds of better if I keep it lined up nice and straight through out the pedal rotation... (had to work at it...)

    GOOD JOB ON THE METRIC CENTURY!!!

  4. #4
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    33.2 on the flats riding a Trek 820 MTB with slicks at 300 lbs? God has blessed you...BIGTIME!


    I have buds that ride well on roadies at 275. I dont know any 300lb'ers so I can't say a thing about that but you may be able to survive a roadie now.

  5. #5
    Home Brewing Beer Knurd
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    Kona Fire Mountain
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats... sounds like you're doing great, much better than me! I'm trying to get back into cycling, if I can do a 60 miler in 2 months I'll be thrilled.

    Cycling shorts with a padded chamois are great and HIGHLY recommended. If you don't feel comfortable wearing the skin-tight variety, get you some baggies that are designed for mountain biking, they're basically just the skin-tight short w/ chamois with a baggie outer shell.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    67 miles at 15.8 on a mountain bike at 300#, and hitting 33 mph? Wow.

    That's all I have to say. Wow.

    Kind of makes me want to quit riding now, considering I ride a $2500 carbon road bike and weight 235, and my best average on a metric was about 13.5 mph...

  7. #7
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmCosmo View Post
    Kind of makes me want to quit riding now, considering I ride a $2500 carbon road bike and weight 235, and my best average on a metric was about 13.5 mph...
    Honestly, you should consider it. Then send that roadie to my place. I'll make sure I get your money out of it!

    Really, how long have you been riding. It takes time for the legs to develope. When I sarted roadbiking, it was tough to hang on the end of a paceline doing 20 mph. A year later I woke up one morning I was a different man. I did a metric in Arizona (Casa Grande) at a 20 mph average. First 50 miles was solo. I was 225 lbs. I only drafted cause some dude kept bugging me to work together. He was a stronger rider than I was so what the heck, we had a good time!

    Give it time, it's coming!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Redskin8006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    2007 Schwinn Fastback Elite
    Posts
    178
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, that's awesome! I've been riding for a year and a half and my longest ride is 50 miles. I think my high speed on flats is 25 mph. You were rolling!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Honestly, you should consider it. Then send that roadie to my place. I'll make sure I get your money out of it!

    Really, how long have you been riding. It takes time for the legs to develope. When I sarted roadbiking, it was tough to hang on the end of a paceline doing 20 mph. A year later I woke up one morning I was a different man. I did a metric in Arizona (Casa Grande) at a 20 mph average. First 50 miles was solo. I was 225 lbs. I only drafted cause some dude kept bugging me to work together. He was a stronger rider than I was so what the heck, we had a good time!

    Give it time, it's coming!
    Been riding "seriously" for about 5 years. Raced BMX as a kid and mountain bikes in high school. I played hockey since I was 5 and played 3 games professionally in 93 until I broke both bones in my lower left leg. Then did nothing for years and gained almost 100 pounds.

    I ride 150-200 miles a week. We usually do a 40-50 mile ride on Saturday, sometimes followed up with a little shorter ride on Sunday. I also commute to work 20 miles a day most days.

    To date I've done maybe 15-16 metrics, but no full centuries yet...

  10. #10
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmCosmo View Post
    Been riding "seriously" for about 5 years. Raced BMX as a kid and mountain bikes in high school. I played hockey since I was 5 and played 3 games professionally in 93 until I broke both bones in my lower left leg. Then did nothing for years and gained almost 100 pounds.

    I ride 150-200 miles a week. We usually do a 40-50 mile ride on Saturday, sometimes followed up with a little shorter ride on Sunday. I also commute to work 20 miles a day most days.

    To date I've done maybe 15-16 metrics, but no full centuries yet...


    MMmmmm, forget it, just send me the bike!

  11. #11
    Member RyanML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    My Bikes
    Trek 820 with slicks
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    33.2 on the flats riding a Trek 820 MTB with slicks at 300 lbs? God has blessed you...BIGTIME!


    I have buds that ride well on roadies at 275. I dont know any 300lb'ers so I can't say a thing about that but you may be able to survive a roadie now.
    Well, that's because I have tree trunks for legs, which can be a problem. I've torqued my chain a couple times causing stiff links during a ride which in turns causes a little skip. I'm just worried any road bike cranks/chains/sprockets might not be able to handle me like the MTB setup. Of course I don't know a whole heck of a lot about components at this point.

    And I thought my back was going to spasm when I hit the 33.2 but thank goodness it went away.

  12. #12
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanML View Post
    Well, that's because I have tree trunks for legs, which can be a problem. I've torqued my chain a couple times causing stiff links during a ride which in turns causes a little skip. I'm just worried any road bike cranks/chains/sprockets might not be able to handle me like the MTB setup. Of course I don't know a whole heck of a lot about components at this point.

    And I thought my back was going to spasm when I hit the 33.2 but thank goodness it went away.
    An mtb has a 42 bigring. That's not tree trunk power, that's superfast Lance Armstrong spinning. I'm not a small guy but pushing 32 on a roadbike with a 53 gear was tough on the flats.

    Don't worry about road components. A good qulaity like 105 or Ultegra are far better than what you have on the mtb.

  13. #13
    Senior Member John Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Jordan, MI
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.3
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is to keep the Trek 820 for now because you like it so much. There's nothing to say you'll like the road bike any better and, if not, it won't be a good move. I started out, like you, on a Trek 820. That was 10 weeks ago. The difference was that I wasn't that comfortable on it. I did a 50K, but I felt if I was going to keep it up, I needed something different. 5 weeks in to the routine, I gave the Trek to my son and bought a Trek FX 7.3. This was a much more comfortable bike for me and I've done numerous 50K, an 80K and a 100K on crushed limestone. I started at 270#, I'm at 259 now, and have a goal of 200# by April 2010. Yesterday I started shopping for the road bike for next April. I figure if my goal is reached I've earned the new bike. So I like your plan of setting a goal, in your case 250# and getting the new bike at that time.

    Whatever you decide - you don't have any bad options - good luck and congrats on your great achievements to this point.

    John

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •