Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Bigbird BigBird2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Saranac Lake, New York
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    MTB for Clyde:the next step - 29R? 26? Suspention - hardtail or full?

    I've been riding an old Gary Fisher Tassajara this past season, mostly on single track thru the woods. The trails are hilly, narrow, muddy, studded with rocks, fallen logs and lots of "corduroy" sections to navigate. The GF has done me pretty well, but I'm thinking of getting a new bike for next season but all the choices are confusing. The GF is a simple, "no suspention at all, thank you", hard-to-beat bike. Most MTBs now seem to come with at least a front suspension, and lots w/ front and rear. And then there's the standard 26" vs the new 29R question. So, given the type of riding I do, would I be happier w/ a 29R or a 26R? Full suspension or just front forks? I'm @ 6'2" and 220lbs. The Gary Fisher has been good, but what do I replace it with?
    "Let's be careful out there." The Sarge, Hill Street Blues

  2. #2
    Senior Member Not the Slowest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Riverdale, NY
    My Bikes
    2002 Seven Axiom
    Posts
    704
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your not really a clyde, but post this in mtbr.com, you'll get more answers
    Robert
    Not The Slowest, Never The Fastest, even Solo

  3. #3
    foolishly delirious RatedZeroHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Panhandle of NE
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    post this in the MTB and you'll get laughed at for not wanting to be cool or elite by having a full suspension bike...

    jerks over there I tell you...

    NINER makes some seriously sick Reynolds steel framed stuff RIGID at that... $$$ but you have a donor bike for comps or if $ isn't an issue roll with it... S.I.R. 29 (Steel Is Real in Root Beer oooooooooohhhhhh pretty)

    I'd keep the GF and ride it til it dies...
    Last edited by RatedZeroHero; 09-25-09 at 12:45 PM.

  4. #4
    Triathlon in my future??? flip18436572's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southwest Iowa
    My Bikes
    Junk, that is why I am here. :-)
    Posts
    2,193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go for a 29'er but that is me. I don't have the money for one, or that is what I would own. Instead I have a very well used Specialized Hard Rock.
    2007 Jamis Ventura Comp
    2006 Jamis Explorer 2.0
    2000 Specialized Hardrock (bought used)
    Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cylde is 200 and over....I started at 6"4" 240 and i had bought a Trek Fuel ex9.I love it.Great bike,very versitatle.i know there are a lot of good choices now,lots of sales
    Fox Racing Shox
    Cactus Racing

  6. #6
    Bigbird BigBird2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Saranac Lake, New York
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    "...not really a clyde..."?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Not the Slowest View Post
    Your not really a clyde, but post this in mtbr.com, you'll get more answers
    Hey, last december I was at 270 and change. I've been working at it for 10 months now and have shed @ 50 lbs. Riding my Surly LHT, my old 74 Gitane TdF, the Gary Fisher MTB and the Schwinn stationary bike in the winter have been a huge help. But I still feel more in tune w/ the Clydes that w/ the "spandex and go-fast" crowd
    "Let's be careful out there." The Sarge, Hill Street Blues

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    5,300
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBird2 View Post
    I've been riding an old Gary Fisher Tassajara this past season, mostly on single track thru the woods. The trails are hilly, narrow, muddy, studded with rocks, fallen logs and lots of "corduroy" sections to navigate. The GF has done me pretty well, but I'm thinking of getting a new bike for next season but all the choices are confusing. The GF is a simple, "no suspention at all, thank you", hard-to-beat bike. Most MTBs now seem to come with at least a front suspension, and lots w/ front and rear. And then there's the standard 26" vs the new 29R question. So, given the type of riding I do, would I be happier w/ a 29R or a 26R? Full suspension or just front forks? I'm @ 6'2" and 220lbs. The Gary Fisher has been good, but what do I replace it with?
    What's your budget? If you want full-suspension, figure you'll probably need to spend a minimum of $2500-3000 to get something decent. A hardtail (= front suspension only) will be much cheaper. If you're comfortable riding on a fully rigid bike, then you might not need full-suspension unless you're looking to tackle much more difficult trails (or have a much easier time on the current ones).

    I'm not sure what to make of the 29" vs 26" debate. My mountain bikes have all used 26" wheels and I haven't had a problem with them. I have enough trouble negotiating tight stuff on a 26" bike, so I haven't been tempted to buy a 29er. Might not be a bad idea to talk to other riders in your area and see what they think. Could be that trails in your area cater heavily to one wheel size or the other.

    In addition, keep an eye out for "demo days" in your area. In my area, manufacturers and stores frequently setup days where you can borrow the latest and greatest bikes and take them for a spin on local trails. This is a great way to evaluate bikes you're interested in on the trails where you ride...

  8. #8
    Bigbird BigBird2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Saranac Lake, New York
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sstorkel View Post
    What's your budget? ...... If you're comfortable riding on a fully rigid bike, then you might not need full-suspension unless you're looking to tackle much more difficult trails (or have a much easier time on the current ones).
    Budget will be @ $1000 - so I guess that eliminates full suspension. I'm fine w/ the rigid Gary Fisher, just thought that having a front suspension might make tough sections on the trails a bit easier to get thru.
    "Let's be careful out there." The Sarge, Hill Street Blues

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    5,300
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBird2 View Post
    Budget will be @ $1000 - so I guess that eliminates full suspension. I'm fine w/ the rigid Gary Fisher, just thought that having a front suspension might make tough sections on the trails a bit easier to get thru.
    Front suspension is definitely nice to have... assuming you know how to set it up. Look for something with an air spring; they're easier to tune than coil spring designs. You can probably find a hardtail in that price range, though I've yet to see a hardtail that included a really nice fork...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •