Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Depression...

  1. #1
    Senior Member cyclefreaksix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Plano Texas
    Posts
    1,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Depression...

    Not the economic kind either. Anybody here have problems with it? I've suffered to some degree or another from clinical depression for years. Recently, it's as if the medication that I take just stopped working and I fell into a deep, bottomless pit.

    I'm a little better now. I'm fortunate in that I asked for help and got it and the new medication seems to be making a difference in my mood and outlook. My riding has suffered terribly though and my weight has gone up as a result. Well lack of riding and the desire to eat non-stop...

    I'm back on the bike, but boy has my strength and endurance been sapped! Frustrating because I was becoming quite strong from commuting on my Fixed Gear.

    I did just purchase a "real" road bike in the hope of logging more miles and taking off some of this weight and improving my overall health.

    Not looking for sympathy, just wondering if anyone else here has battled with depression. How do you deal with it/what do you do??

  2. #2
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,014
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well, I have chronic depression, and frankly, the endorphins generated by the exercise while I'm cycling does wonders to combat it, as does the sense of accomplishment. We're designed to be active to survive, and this modern world just isn't good for that, all too often.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  3. #3
    Senior Member cyclefreaksix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Plano Texas
    Posts
    1,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Well, I have chronic depression, and frankly, the endorphins generated by the exercise while I'm cycling does wonders to combat it, as does the sense of accomplishment. We're designed to be active to survive, and this modern world just isn't good for that, all too often.
    You're right and I agree with you, in that activity is key in overcoming depression. Fresh air, endorphins, sunshine, etc. But I couldn't even get out of bed, much less get on the bike.

    I'm working on it though Tom. Thanks for your comment.

  4. #4
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife struggled for years with depression until she started talking fish oil. I kid you not. The studies have said that it is very effective. Of course, living in the tropics means she never has to deal with not enough sunlight and we have a very active, full filling life.

    Since having salmon fish oil is good for other things as well, you might give it a try.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may sound funny but talking about bikes helps too. Any sort of interaction, socialization to get you outside of your own head.

  6. #6
    Senior Member cyclefreaksix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Plano Texas
    Posts
    1,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    My wife struggled for years with depression until she started talking fish oil. I kid you not. The studies have said that it is very effective. Of course, living in the tropics means she never has to deal with not enough sunlight and we have a very active, full filling life.

    Since having salmon fish oil is good for other things as well, you might give it a try.
    I take fish oil currently and have for several years. I think living in Costa Rica would help me out considerably, though. Is it as beautiful there as I think it is?? And secondly, could you put me up for a couple of months? You know, just till I'm feelin' better, and well tanned...

    Thanks for your suggestion and your comment!

  7. #7
    Senior Member cyclefreaksix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Plano Texas
    Posts
    1,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old and new View Post
    It may sound funny but talking about bikes helps too. Any sort of interaction, socialization to get you outside of your own head.
    Another great point! I think I'm feelin' better already. Seriously, this place has helped out more than you know. I just need to spend less time on here, and more on da bike

  8. #8
    Senior Member kenseth03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Glen Allen Va.
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclefreaksix View Post
    Another great point! I think I'm feelin' better already. Seriously, this place has helped out more than you know. I just need to spend less time on here, and more on da bike
    Yeah, sometimes it helps just knowing that you are not alone and some people understand where your coming from. Believe me I have faught depression throughout my entire adult life.
    2012 Trek Marlin
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    2009 SE Stout 29er
    2004 Trek 6700

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenseth03 View Post
    Yeah, sometimes it helps just knowing that you are not alone and some people understand where your coming from. Believe me I have faught depression throughout my entire adult life.
    Indeed. Even to be able to socialize with people on a similar level of interest helps too. I know for me places like this help when it comes to my bike rides, because everyone around me usually is not involved with cycling and look upon the distances I've done lately (or even in the last year) with a lot of derision. It should go without saying that would eliminate having any support in terms of talking about bike rides, tips, and so forth.

  10. #10
    Senior Member mojopt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SW Indiana
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclefreaksix,

    What a coincidence. Just this last few days I have been way down. I've even wondered if my medication is working.

    I haven't ridden all week because of the rain. I guess the combination of no riding and no sun is triggering this. If something doesn't turn around by next week I'll be calling the doc.

    Best regards,

    Mike

    PS To illustrate my level of depression, I just receive my new Al/carbon frame and I don't seem to have the desire to start hanging wheels and components on it.

  11. #11
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclefreaksix View Post
    I take fish oil currently and have for several years. I think living in Costa Rica would help me out considerably, though. Is it as beautiful there as I think it is?? And secondly, could you put me up for a couple of months? You know, just till I'm feelin' better, and well tanned...

    Thanks for your suggestion and your comment!
    Costa Rica is very beautiful but you would be surprised. I do believe statistically more than half the people who move here, move back. We really love it here, but it isn't for everyone for sure.

    Sorry, no room in the inn currently.

  12. #12
    Bicycle n00B
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    None yet
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done a bit of research into anti-depressants, and believe finding the right one can be difficult. I tried a couple before I found the currently effective med. Also, some of the meds are more prone to allowing tolerance to build than others. As far as I can tell, checking effectiveness yearly, by chatting with doctor and/or therapist, is the best method for me to make sure I'm staying within "normal" limits.

    I agree riding, and exercise in general, is a large part of keeping ourselves moving forward. I also agree with "old and new", and find getting outside myself a bit allows me to refocus on forward progress rather than sitting around.
    I reserve the right to be wrong at any time. :D

    Man does not live by bread alone, that's why God made ice cream.

  13. #13
    Senior Member cyclefreaksix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Plano Texas
    Posts
    1,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and your encouragement. I'll get through this as I have in the past. In fact, I'm gonna ride the new road bike into work tomorrow!!

  14. #14
    Senior Member cyclefreaksix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Plano Texas
    Posts
    1,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mojopt View Post
    Cyclefreaksix,

    What a coincidence. Just this last few days I have been way down. I've even wondered if my medication is working.

    I haven't ridden all week because of the rain. I guess the combination of no riding and no sun is triggering this. If something doesn't turn around by next week I'll be calling the doc.

    Best regards,

    Mike

    PS To illustrate my level of depression, I just receive my new Al/carbon frame and I don't seem to have the desire to start hanging wheels and components on it.
    Hey Mike,

    The weather certainly seems to play a part in my depression. Although sometimes I think that it's just the last little bit that pushes me over. I hope you do contact your doc if things don't get better. Hang in there friend, the rain does eventually go away.

    Why don't you do something small on that frame. Nothing too involved, just something.

  15. #15
    Senior Member sonatageek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland,Ohio
    Posts
    2,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too struggle with depression (hope it is not caused by bikes) and find that riding helps. Last year, was the first time I kept a riding log. It was really helpful in getting me out on the bike, even if only for a few miles, on days that my mood (or the colder weather for that matter) were drawing me to stay on the couch.

    Always remember, that on the bad days, those days end and a better one is around the corner. Maybe not the next corner, but somewhere up on the trail.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    690
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether I have a good ride or a bad ride, I find that cycling helps. It takes me away from my usual surroundings and forces me to focus on the moment. If the ride is going well and I am feeling strong then I get such an enormous sense of joy, no doubt enhanced by endorhpins. If the ride is not going so well and I am whipped, I find that the struggle to get home also keeps me in the moment, focused on the task at hand. Either way, when I get home, I really feel like I accomplished something.

  17. #17
    Senior Member ecovelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    83' Centurion Accordo Mixte, 87' Bertoni Italamerica, 92' Trek 930 Singletrack, 92' Cannondale M1000, 06' Cannondale Rush, 10' Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go through bouts of depression, to be sure. It's interesting...when I was a kid, I'd just run when I felt down. I think before we are "adulterated"... we have a keen sense of what is needed - for both body and mind.

    Exercise definitely helps me... but I still do get really stuck...have periods where my head knows if I just get up and move, I'll feel better, but my body remains inert.

    Avoiding fats and especially sugar, definitely helps me as well. And yet once I get into a sugar "cycle", it feels sometimes as though only sugar will get me going again - vicous cycle.

    When my depression manifests as anxiety... meditation really helps me; if I'm not in a place conducive to doing so... or don't have the time... I try to at least notice my breathing, and try to slow it down.

    I have jokingly referred to myself as "manic-depressive" among my friends - but one who is not depressed enough to be clinical, and not manic enough to get stuff done! But lightness aside... the characteristics of my personality very much follow this pattern. And I'm recently noticing that I am almost fearful of feeling too much joy, and thus starts the eating again. ..something to look at.

    Finally,...support I've been fortunate enough to be able to share my struggles with loved ones ...and for me this really invites intimacy and lessens the burden.

    Good luck to you, and thanks for all the collective support on this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I love the smell of bicycle grease in the morning.
    I am not, associated, affiliated, nor in any way responsible for any of the creative and informative material, (and incredibly beautiful pictures) posted on the EcoVelo blog/website. (I chose my username before I was ever aware of the website).
    2010 Salsa Vaya, 2006 Cannondale Rush, 1992 Cannondale M1000, 1992 Trek 930, 1987 Bertoni Italimerica,
    1983 Centurion Accordo mixte

  18. #18
    Each Drop of Sweat Counts
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Iwakuni Japan
    My Bikes
    MASI Speciale Road, Specialized Rockhopper 29'er, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT, Ignio Folding bike
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, hang in there.
    Second of all you let yourself get out of shape a bit and now you have to do some of that hard work again.

    I can't honestly say I have ever had depression although once upon a time I was a 300 + lb. guy who didn't have the chutzpah to get up off the couch and do anything more strenuous than make a snack. A lot of snacks.

    I suppose through the magic of hindsight I was depressed. Bump on a log, trying to eat myself to some satisfaction. I never saw the doc for it and even these days sometimes I'll catch myself just sitting for a long time....too long, accomplishing nothing. And then I get up and do a couple yoga stretches or some push ups, if I'm not feeling too frisky or do something a little more strenuous like full blown exercise or cut the yard or something. After sitting for a while something clicks and I say to myself "this is wrong, gotta get up".

    At the very worst I might grab a book but I always make sure it's a non fiction or historical book so I can at least delude myself into thinking I'm learning something.

    Keep your communication paths open....friend, spouse, kid, whatever or as someone suggested earlier, hang out here and talk bikes.

    This too shall pass.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    2009 Cannondale Caad9-7/2009 BMC SLX01/2011 Marin Nail Trail 29er
    Posts
    1,715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclefreaksix View Post
    Not looking for sympathy, just wondering if anyone else here has battled with depression. How do you deal with it/what do you do??
    I went to a therapist, find someone you have a good vibe with and it can really help.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    My Bikes
    Fuji Team Trek FX Bianchi MTB
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your age, you may want to ask your doctor for a referral - preferably Endo. Then get your blood test done for full Testosterone panel. This is a very expensive test, so only do this if your insurance will pay for it. You'll be surprised how many people have stopped taking Anti-Depressant (not saying this will) but you want to turn every stone to find the cause, not just hide it with pills.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    My Bikes
    Fuji Team Trek FX Bianchi MTB
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekJapan View Post
    First of all, hang in there.
    Second of all you let yourself get out of shape a bit and now you have to do some of that hard work again.

    I can't honestly say I have ever had depression although once upon a time I was a 300 + lb. guy who didn't have the chutzpah to get up off the couch and do anything more strenuous than make a snack. A lot of snacks.

    I suppose through the magic of hindsight I was depressed. Bump on a log, trying to eat myself to some satisfaction. I never saw the doc for it and even these days sometimes I'll catch myself just sitting for a long time....too long, accomplishing nothing. And then I get up and do a couple yoga stretches or some push ups, if I'm not feeling too frisky or do something a little more strenuous like full blown exercise or cut the yard or something. After sitting for a while something clicks and I say to myself "this is wrong, gotta get up".

    At the very worst I might grab a book but I always make sure it's a non fiction or historical book so I can at least delude myself into thinking I'm learning something.

    Keep your communication paths open....friend, spouse, kid, whatever or as someone suggested earlier, hang out here and talk bikes.

    This too shall pass.
    There's no hindsight with depression - you either do or don't. When you have it - either you or someone else will know you are going thought something. Its not getting off the couch so I must of been type. Most people hide their depression well, but it shows in everything they do - there's always a cause, mostly physical, but some are truly mental. Better to get everything tested to make sure. No need to live with all that weight on the shoulder (no pun intended).

  22. #22
    Senior Member jdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,157
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been a number of posts on the forums these days and I am wondering if a number of people are suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder.

    My wife is Bipolar and after 26 years of marriage, I am well versed in all things depression related. The effectiveness of drugs changes as brain chemicals do and some drugs become totally ineffective while others require a mere change in dosing, even seasonally.

    Work with your MD or Phyc Dr. on this and learn the various meds and how they affect you. If you are new to this, you will soon learn that you will be the best at managing your condition and at times will have to guide your MD and push him/her in the right direction.

    Try everything non rx related as well including exercise, therapy, light therapy etc. Good health to all who suffer with these disorders.

  23. #23
    Senior Member wb416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southeast Cincinnati
    My Bikes
    2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclefreaksix View Post
    I take fish oil currently and have for several years. I think living in Costa Rica would help me out considerably, though. Is it as beautiful there as I think it is?? And secondly, could you put me up for a couple of months? You know, just till I'm feelin' better, and well tanned...

    Thanks for your suggestion and your comment!
    Fish Oil thoughts....
    Purity... make sure it's not the cheap stuff.... or you'll ingest lots of contaminants.... get pharmaceutical or ultra-purified.

    For thoughts on fish oil dosage from a proponent, consider reading some articles from Dr Sears.... His book "The OmegaRX Zone" goes into detail.

    Many of the CrossFit population also follow Dr. Sears philosophy on diet and fish oil usage.

    Personally, I use a brand of fish oil from Kirkland that fits the bill, available at Costco.
    Last edited by wb416; 09-26-09 at 09:42 AM. Reason: clarified
    Bob
    Zendiving Scuba Forum (Owner)
    Quest for Fitness
    2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5

  24. #24
    Senior Member wb416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southeast Cincinnati
    My Bikes
    2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclefreaksix View Post
    Another great point! I think I'm feelin' better already. Seriously, this place has helped out more than you know. I just need to spend less time on here, and more on da bike
    My job leaves me with large blocks of time working by myself. To counter that isolation, I have to "chronically" exercise... cycling, CrossFit, Olympiclifting, whatever will get me off the couch and get the endorphs moving. People tell me I'm always working out and don't understand my compulsion to do so... but it's the negative consequences mentally of NOT doing it that pushes me.... don't even care if I get in better shape or not... I just need for exercise or social interaction to take me to a "happy place"... lol
    Bob
    Zendiving Scuba Forum (Owner)
    Quest for Fitness
    2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
    Posts
    2,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get seasonal depression. XMas time is a drag for me. I love all the family stuff but for some reason I always feel down in the dumps at that time of year, and I don't mind winter. I get over it with no help from anything. REst of the time I'm just a happy go lucky guy. I even make an attempt every year to not let the hoiday stresses get to me but it just creeps up and bam!
    Best thing about cycling is when I'm at work I'm thinking of cycling, when I'm cycling I'm thinking about cycling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •