Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   25 lbs in 6 months (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/593524-25-lbs-6-months.html)

baron von trail 10-12-09 06:27 AM

25 lbs in 6 months
 
Well, Gang, after busting my leg in April, I dropped 10% of my weight and now stand a svelte 200 dead-even pounds with my 6'2" self. I am one proud hombre; it took a lot of work.

A broken upper-femur, a break that required surgery and 4 pins, plus 3 months of recovery time, left me pretty much incapacitated. The hardest thing was getting my fat ass up out of the hospital bed. Just getting up and around on the crutches required a lot of muscle. Thankfully, I was not in terrible shape. Otherwise, I would have been stuck in a wheelchair or using a walker. Crutches are way more mobile.

I quickly discovered that my core strength was lacking. Everything was a struggle. Lifting myself up off of the toilet seat was most challenging of all. That first week was a nightmare. I said to myself, "This sux!", and resolved to get myself lean and mean ASAP.

If some of you remember me, you'll know I already ate sort of healthy: Eating no refined sugar and a diet high in raw fruits and veggies. Since the surgery, I ramped that effort up about 100-fold. I now do not touch any fatty food. No more burgers, hot-dogs, greasy pizza ( I still eat not-so-greasy pizza) or anything else that has animal fat or an excess of cooked vegetable oils in it. The challenges associated with avoiding those items can be a thread all by itself.

The other big change: I gave away all the TV's and now spend an average of 4 to 5 hours per day outdoors, either riding my bike or walking in the woods out where I live. Basically said, if I am not at work, I am outside doing some activity. This has helped with more than weight loss. Losing the TV has also put me in a much better mood.

Well, that's what it takes to shake 10% of your weight in 6 months. Bust a leg and then do yourself a complete do-over.

MrClyde 10-12-09 08:21 AM

Good job! I am looking forward to getting down to the 200 mark myself.

Neil_B 10-12-09 08:41 AM

Glad to have you back, Baron, and congratulations!

txvintage 10-12-09 08:43 AM

Well done Baron. This whole diminshed mobility thing is a curse. Being able to fight the weight while being laid up is awesome.

baron von trail 10-12-09 08:52 AM

Yeah, dropping weight while laid up is not easy. Only by eating extremely well and light did I manage to shed the weight. Also, I put a ton of miles on my crutches, 5 per day, at least.

Eating: Other than eliminating animal fats, the most notable dietary change was dropping bread consumption way down. Basically I ate a lot of fruits and salads. To get full, I either sprinkled in pumpkin seeds, added avocado, or tossed in a spoonful or two of the nut pastes that gf constantly blends up. CAshew paste tastes like cream cheese. It's really good after adding some garlic.

Tom Stormcrowe 10-12-09 08:57 AM

Outstanding, Baron!

baron von trail 10-30-09 09:25 AM

194 Lbs this morning. Still eating well. Having onion soup and a Santa Fe salad, loaded with extra avocado and black bean, right now, for example.

Another is that I have not been sitting much. With the exception of working, eating and socializing, I try not to sit at all. Last night gf and I walked for three hours in the moonlight.

txvintage 10-30-09 10:08 AM

I spent some time last night reading up on the "Raw" approach. It's pretty interesting, all in all.

tnath0522 11-01-09 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baron von trail (Post 9953343)
194 Lbs this morning. Still eating well. Having onion soup and a Santa Fe salad, loaded with extra avocado and black bean, right now, for example.

Another is that I have not been sitting much. With the exception of working, eating and socializing, I try not to sit at all. Last night gf and I walked for three hours in the moonlight.



you might not realize it, but it sounds like you are following the principles of Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Congrats

kazuri 11-01-09 04:07 PM

Quote:

pizza
This one always kicks my butt. I don't have a hard time turning down hamburgers, or even fries(still eat them but always homemade and recommended serving with no salt) but I just cant say no to the pizza..

baron von trail 11-02-09 07:49 AM

lol....scale is telling me 188 this morning. I haven't seen that number in a very long time.

Oh...Awesome is taking my size 38 waist pants to the Goodwill. I'll be dropping those bad boys off this afternoon.

Missbumble 11-02-09 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baron von trail (Post 9967143)
lol....scale is telling me 188 this morning. I haven't seen that number in a very long time.

Oh...Awesome is taking my size 38 waist pants to the Goodwill. I'll be dropping those bad boys off this afternoon.

Congrats - Quite inspiting. You may want to keep one size 38 pants as a reminder or a great show and tell as you may come across others to inspire in person...or even yourself.

What have you inspired in me? I think I may try and stick to my workout schedule this week - basically try and hit the gym 2x/day. I am in a hotel and though it may seem hard - the reward would be awesome feeling great. I know my core strength is minimal. I feel guilty every time I am at the gym that I don't do any sort of sit ups. Time to start a better routine. OK you inspire us all.

Sue

Peter_C 11-02-09 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baron von trail (Post 9841835)
Well, that's what it takes to shake 10% of your weight in 6 months. Bust a leg and then do yourself a complete do-over.

I can recommend Kidney failure as yet another great way to drop weight quickly!!

gapwedge 11-02-09 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baron von trail (Post 9841835)
Well, Gang, after busting my leg in April, I dropped 10% of my weight and now stand a svelte 200 dead-even pounds with my 6'2" self. I am one proud hombre; it took a lot of work.

A broken upper-femur, a break that required surgery and 4 pins, plus 3 months of recovery time, left me pretty much incapacitated. The hardest thing was getting my fat ass up out of the hospital bed. Just getting up and around on the crutches required a lot of muscle. Thankfully, I was not in terrible shape. Otherwise, I would have been stuck in a wheelchair or using a walker. Crutches are way more mobile.

I quickly discovered that my core strength was lacking. Everything was a struggle. Lifting myself up off of the toilet seat was most challenging of all. That first week was a nightmare. I said to myself, "This sux!", and resolved to get myself lean and mean ASAP.

If some of you remember me, you'll know I already ate sort of healthy: Eating no refined sugar and a diet high in raw fruits and veggies. Since the surgery, I ramped that effort up about 100-fold. I now do not touch any fatty food. No more burgers, hot-dogs, greasy pizza ( I still eat not-so-greasy pizza) or anything else that has animal fat or an excess of cooked vegetable oils in it. The challenges associated with avoiding those items can be a thread all by itself.

The other big change: I gave away all the TV's and now spend an average of 4 to 5 hours per day outdoors, either riding my bike or walking in the woods out where I live. Basically said, if I am not at work, I am outside doing some activity. This has helped with more than weight loss. Losing the TV has also put me in a much better mood.

Well, that's what it takes to shake 10% of your weight in 6 months. Bust a leg and then do yourself a complete do-over.

Liked everything except the busted femur part.:eek:

baron von trail 01-06-10 10:17 AM

Well, after dropping from 225 lbs (the weight I was roughly a year ago) down to as low as 182 in early November, my weight held steady at 190 over the holidays. I made it from the turkey feast of T-giving until the overindulgence of New Year's Eve without gaining or losing more than 5 lbs here and there. Fit and tone it sure looks like I hit my stride again---I feel just like I did 10 years ago.

So....if all goes well, you all won't hear from me again. Cheers!


Oh, PS: I am eating some of those forbidden foods again like Pizza, hamburger, and my favorite: Breakfast after midnight at the Awful House, but I am limiting the intake of those foods down to treats for special occasions. That crap is not a part of my daily diet.

CliftonGK1 01-06-10 11:03 AM

Congrats on making it past the holdays and maintaining your resolve! But don't be a stranger just because you're under the 200 mark. We're always glad to have our emeritus members around.

Daspydyr 01-06-10 07:25 PM

Your commitment is encouraging. I need that dedication on the TV and Sugar. Donuts on the weekend call to me. Sorry to hear about the femur, but with your regimen, you will be stronger than ever for years to come. Congrats.

baron von trail 01-08-10 02:45 PM

Ha, no tv...
yep, this is the first football season in a long time that I have little or no clue as to who is playing whom, when, where and why. I have no idea who made the NFL playoffs and could care less about the bowls or other crap associated with the college game.

For eg, I just learned today that Alabama was in and then won the national championship game. Shoot, I had no idea that Al had even won the SEC.

However, when it comes to knowing what matters, I know exactly what my heart rate is while I'm hammering 95 rpm at 18 mph on my trainer, after an hour -- 140-142 bpm.

I still avoid the refined sugar. Over time, I learned to really hate the stuff. That was proabaly a life saver.

baron von trail 01-12-10 07:55 AM

For an ex-clyde hopping up on the scale, this time of year, nice is seeing that nothing has changed.

Even with the coldest part of winter settling in and with me throwing in a higher calorie diet with more fat content, my weight is still down at or below 190 lbs, hanging there on a regular basis.

I weighed in at 188 this morning, and that was after not riding my bike for about 6 weeks or being on the trainer for at least 7 days, all the while eating more eggs, meat and cheese during the past month than I did all of last year. What gives?

Who knows? Moderation perhaps. I eat much less these days. Why?

Again, who really knows? What I do know is that nowadays I drink a 12 oz glass of water with one Emergen-C vitamin packet mixed in each and every morning after my shower. This new morning drink replaced the half-dozen cups of coffee I used to drink to get fired up for the day. I find that the vitamin intake keeps me feeling balanced all morning -- meaning: No unbearable cravings for Egg McMuffins or Poptarts at 10 AM. I feel nourished all day, actually. So, when I eat lunch, I eat a little salad, some cheese, maybe some soup (I love French Onion). I'll even take down a sandwich, preferring nut butters on whole grain or spinach squares or buffalo burgers, but I'll chomp on a piece of pizza, decent burger or even a Polish Sausage now and then too.

I guess the biggie is that I prefer eating the good foods over the greasy fatty foods. A friend tried getting me to eat loaded Cheese Fries from famous fast food joint. I looked at her like she was nuts! Told her I haven't eaten that kind of crap in years, wasn't about to start now.

The other trick is exercise. Even though I am not riding (mostly due to the pins [or scar tissue] in my repaired leg causing some nasty pains when my thigh is hit with cold wind), I still workout several hours per day. I hike, stretch, do pushups, sit-ups, yoga, dance and have sex instead of sittiing, eating, watching television or playing endlessly on the computer.

bbeck 01-12-10 08:06 AM

congrats


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 AM.