Had my 1st appt with a dietician today...want to get my weight down the right way and keep it off.
I told him some home truths about my eating etc and we figured out roughly the caloric intake of my diet. 3000Cal a day!! Wowsers, never realized it was that high!
Anyway i'm 111.9kg, (246lbs) and I want to get down to 85kg (187lbs) by end march '10.
I asked him a few questions on what to eat and when etc and he gave me some answers on things that clear lots of things up for me so i thought i'd share:
- A calorie is a calorie; it doesn't matter what kind it is (protein/fat/carb) your body see's it the same. If you eat 2 serves of McDonald's @2000cal only in one day and you burn 3000cal in the day through general body function and exercise, you'll still lose weight.
- Eating breakfast does not turn your body into the fat burning furnace gym guys tell you it does. It may only make about 50 cals difference at the end of the day (burned through your metabolism). What eating b'fast can do is stop you craving bad foods later in the day.
- your body going into starvation mode because you're eating too little calories is false also.
- 6 smaller meals a day instead of three bigger ones makes no difference - if anything you end up eating more food with 6 meals so it can stop you from losing weight
- it doesn't matter when you eat the food (what time of day)
- 1gram of fat has more calories than 1 gram of carbohydrate - so you can eat more carbs for the same calories as in the fat.
At the end of the meeting we agreed on 1700-1900cal a day eating plan to help me lose around 1-1.5kg a week initially (until xmas), then to monitor it to around 500g-1kg a week from then on.
We'll see how it goes!!
PS/ what are your thoughts on his comments?