Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Cute, fluffy, and illegal gotls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Athena no more..

    It's official - I'm no longer an Athena by the 150 lb. standard. I started last June at ~174 pounds and according to the scale at the gym, I now weigh 147 and dropping. I started out just riding my bike as a lot and lost the first 20 pounds fairly quickly with that approach. In mid-September of this year I started working with a personal trainer and eating in accordance with his recommendations. This really got the weight loss kick started again (8 lbs and 1.5% body fat in a month).

    27 pounds lost over 16 months isn't a fantastic rate, but considering the somewhat half-@ssed approach I took, I'm pleased. Honestly, this is probably the only way I could have done it. Previous attempts to get in better shape involved changing EVERYTHING at once and resulted in me feeling overwhelmed and quitting the entire program.

    Compared to Tom and bdinger and The Historian, this is a miniscule amount of weight loss, but I'm still proud of getting it done. This is my favorite forum on this board, so I don't plan on going anywhere.

    -M
    2009 Cannondale F5
    2008 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD
    2006 Marin Mill Valley (commuter)

  2. #2
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  3. #3
    Triathlon in my future??? flip18436572's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southwest Iowa
    My Bikes
    Junk, that is why I am here. :-)
    Posts
    2,193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations and have fun sticking around!!!
    2007 Jamis Ventura Comp
    2006 Jamis Explorer 2.0
    2000 Specialized Hardrock (bought used)
    Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun

  4. #4
    staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Parker, CO
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Blue Racing Rc4AL w/Record
    Posts
    3,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marysville WA
    Posts
    439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job! Every time someone posts about no longer being a clyde or athena, it gives me a little kick in the rear end. I need that if I'm ever gonna make that post. How does is feel to be one of the inspirations now?

  6. #6
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh, so now you are "one of them" ...Kidding, congrats. Now post a pic so we can put a skinny face to your name!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    by the football hall of fame
    Posts
    850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job!
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right

  8. #8
    I'm a Cyclist! Missbumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton
    My Bikes
    Specialized Dolce Elite
    Posts
    1,397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  9. #9
    Old enough to know better willmw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    East Central GA, USA
    My Bikes
    Haro Heartland Express LE, Dawes Lightning 1000
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm thinking before and after (or at least after) pictures are in order!
    Dangit, I almost only post in Foo, so my post count is abysmal.

  10. #10
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,158
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    And the very first one!

    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Marysville, WA
    My Bikes
    Trek Portland/Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo/LeMond Versailles
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will find your weight loss more successful having not done it as a crash diet.

  12. #12
    Tilting with windmills txvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas 'Burbs
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Gotls 1! Glad you will be sticking around. Your Avatar and saying crack me up every time I see it.

  13. #13
    zpl
    zpl is offline
    Bike Fun Fanatic zpl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    2008 Salsa Casseroll, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker
    Posts
    619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job! Slow and sustainable weight loss is the way to go.

    Scott

  14. #14
    Downtown Spanky Brown bautieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Camp Hill, Pennsyltucky
    My Bikes
    07 Raliegh Grand Sport 98ish Mongoose Manuever
    Posts
    2,099
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Don't cut yourself short, it is an acomplishment and you earned it

  15. #15
    Senior? Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    GMC Topkick mountain bike, Schwinn World Traveler, GMC Denali road bike
    Posts
    271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that women have a MUCH harder time losing weight than men do, so don't sell yourself short. 27 pounds is a lot. That's something like 18% of your body weight. You deserve a big thumbs up for that.

  16. #16
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gotls1 View Post
    It's official - I'm no longer an Athena by the 150 lb. standard. I started last June at ~174 pounds and according to the scale at the gym, I now weigh 147 and dropping. I started out just riding my bike as a lot and lost the first 20 pounds fairly quickly with that approach. In mid-September of this year I started working with a personal trainer and eating in accordance with his recommendations. This really got the weight loss kick started again (8 lbs and 1.5% body fat in a month).

    27 pounds lost over 16 months isn't a fantastic rate, but considering the somewhat half-@ssed approach I took, I'm pleased. Honestly, this is probably the only way I could have done it. Previous attempts to get in better shape involved changing EVERYTHING at once and resulted in me feeling overwhelmed and quitting the entire program.

    Compared to Tom and bdinger ...., this is a miniscule amount of weight loss, but I'm still proud of getting it done. This is my favorite forum on this board, so I don't plan on going anywhere.

    -M
    Yes, please don't go anywhere. We need you as part of the party here.

    Oh, and congratulations!

  17. #17
    Cute, fluffy, and illegal gotls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. This is exactly why I plan on sticking around - C&A is probably the friendliest, most supportive forum and I really apppreciate your comments. I'll have to see about before/after pics. After is easy to do, but I'm not sure I've got a good before shot. I wasn't exactly dying to get my picture taken when I was at my largest.
    2009 Cannondale F5
    2008 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD
    2006 Marin Mill Valley (commuter)

  18. #18
    Senior Member Lindaosm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek 7100 WSD & Trek Skye SE
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!!
    I don't think I will ever get down that far. I started at 302 a couple of years ago. Made it down to 225 earlier this year and started biking. Now I am just under 200 and I've been there for awhile now. It's like I've hit a wall. I've been going to the gym 2-3 times a week along with biking at least for 4-5 hours on the weekend. I guess on a positive note I am down to 1 bp med and hope to come off of it soon. Any special things you are doing at the gym? I am kinda limited as I have some knee issues and have a hard time walking. Actually I can bike for longer than I can walk. Would love to hear some of your routines.

    LindaN
    Linda in Ocala/FL

  19. #19
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindaosm View Post
    Congratulations!!
    I don't think I will ever get down that far. I started at 302 a couple of years ago. Made it down to 225 earlier this year and started biking. Now I am just under 200 and I've been there for awhile now. It's like I've hit a wall. I've been going to the gym 2-3 times a week along with biking at least for 4-5 hours on the weekend. I guess on a positive note I am down to 1 bp med and hope to come off of it soon. Any special things you are doing at the gym? I am kinda limited as I have some knee issues and have a hard time walking. Actually I can bike for longer than I can walk. Would love to hear some of your routines.

    LindaN
    Hitting the wall just below 200 from 302? That's a pretty darn impressive wall you hit there!..Be happy, That's pretty DARN GOOD!

  20. #20
    Cute, fluffy, and illegal gotls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindaosm View Post
    Congratulations!!
    I don't think I will ever get down that far. I started at 302 a couple of years ago. Made it down to 225 earlier this year and started biking. Now I am just under 200 and I've been there for awhile now. It's like I've hit a wall. I've been going to the gym 2-3 times a week along with biking at least for 4-5 hours on the weekend. I guess on a positive note I am down to 1 bp med and hope to come off of it soon. Any special things you are doing at the gym? I am kinda limited as I have some knee issues and have a hard time walking. Actually I can bike for longer than I can walk. Would love to hear some of your routines.

    LindaN
    Hi Linda. Congrats on your weight loss! Losing over 100 lbs is a fantastic achevement. Also, great news on being able to cut down the meds. I wasn't at the point where I needed any bp/cholesterol/blood sugar medications, but I was definitely on the road to them when I decided to make a change.

    I go to the gym three times a week - once with my trainer and twice on my own. Each time I'm there, I do exercises that address the biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, back, abs, quads, hamstrings, and calves. I know a lot of people who weight train do upper body one day and lower body another, but I can't keep track of all that at 5:30 am so I just do the whole body each time I go. I'll do two sets of each exercise for about 10-12 reps and alternate them with another exercise. So for example, I'll do one set of whatever I'm doing for my biceps then I'll do a set of my shoulder exercise, then back to biceps, etc. I try and use the heaviest weight I can as well, so that towards the end of my second set I'm at failure. If I can do 13 or 14 reps of an exercise on my second set and could still do more, I'll up the weight next time I do that exercise.

    When I see my trainer he also has me do pylometric exercises mixed in with the weight training to get my heart rate up. For example he'll have me do burpees on a medicine ball, or lunges while swinging a medicine ball, or my personal favorite (NOT!) hopping on one foot while holding a 35 lb plate horizontal at chest height. That last one got my heart rate up to 198 - something that I didn't think was possible at 34. Given your knee issues that might not be a great one to try though.

    While I've come to appreciate weight training and I'm even starting to look forward to my weekly butt-kickings from my trainer, I really feel like the majority of my recent progress is due to the eating plan he gave me. I'd probably say it's 75% eating, 15% cardio, and 10% weight training. If you have any more questions though, feel free to ask.

    Good luck!

    -M
    2009 Cannondale F5
    2008 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD
    2006 Marin Mill Valley (commuter)

  21. #21
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!

  22. #22
    Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Posts
    5,210
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kudos, I sent you a box of Chocolates to celebrate your victory.

    Seriously though-good job, stay Kitty Stay! I was actually dreaming that someday I might be too thin to pull the Budweiser wagon.

    Enjoy your victory.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

    I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

  23. #23
    Senior Member rdtompki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hollister, CA
    My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Posts
    3,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a fantastic accomplishment. Sounds like the PT (workout and diet) really did the trick. Makes me want to check out the local gyms.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Posts
    1,831
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Gotls.

    I don't really feel comfortable in this forum - My highest weight was just over 200 (I am 5'9") in 2002, when I suffered a heart attack at age 44 - this served as a major wakeup call. I started eating a lot better and riding the bike a lot. Today I don't own a car, and ride the bike daily. For the past several years I have hovered between 170 and 175. For me the key to maintaining a healthy weight has been the daily exercise. By getting rid of the car and forcing myself to ride the bike everyday, I don't have to worry as much about how much I eat (although I have cut out a lot of the really bad things that I used to eat).

    Whatever you find works for you - keep it up!

  25. #25
    Senior Member Lindaosm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek 7100 WSD & Trek Skye SE
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotls1 View Post
    Hi Linda. Congrats on your weight loss! Losing over 100 lbs is a fantastic achevement. Also, great news on being able to cut down the meds. I wasn't at the point where I needed any bp/cholesterol/blood sugar medications, but I was definitely on the road to them when I decided to make a change.

    I go to the gym three times a week - once with my trainer and twice on my own. Each time I'm there, I do exercises that address the biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, back, abs, quads, hamstrings, and calves. I know a lot of people who weight train do upper body one day and lower body another, but I can't keep track of all that at 5:30 am so I just do the whole body each time I go. I'll do two sets of each exercise for about 10-12 reps and alternate them with another exercise. So for example, I'll do one set of whatever I'm doing for my biceps then I'll do a set of my shoulder exercise, then back to biceps, etc. I try and use the heaviest weight I can as well, so that towards the end of my second set I'm at failure. If I can do 13 or 14 reps of an exercise on my second set and could still do more, I'll up the weight next time I do that exercise.

    When I see my trainer he also has me do pylometric exercises mixed in with the weight training to get my heart rate up. For example he'll have me do burpees on a medicine ball, or lunges while swinging a medicine ball, or my personal favorite (NOT!) hopping on one foot while holding a 35 lb plate horizontal at chest height. That last one got my heart rate up to 198 - something that I didn't think was possible at 34. Given your knee issues that might not be a great one to try though.

    While I've come to appreciate weight training and I'm even starting to look forward to my weekly butt-kickings from my trainer, I really feel like the majority of my recent progress is due to the eating plan he gave me. I'd probably say it's 75% eating, 15% cardio, and 10% weight training. If you have any more questions though, feel free to ask.

    Good luck!

    -M
    Thanks so much for sharing your routine. I do what you said most do. Work on upper body in one session and lower in another. Also, I was doing 3 sets of 12 with weights I can manage. I think I'm gonna up my weights and do less sets and see how that works. Maybe I just need to change the routine around a little. Thanks again for sharing. I hope to one day get down to under 175. I think I would be happy with that....seeing that I've never seen that weight for my entire adult life.

    LindaN
    Linda in Ocala/FL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •