Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member Pukeskywalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T1000
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Favorite 180mm+ cranks?

    Can you recommend a 180mm+ crankset in the $50 and $150 range?

    I'm looking for a double crank, but a single-speed is not out of the question. ISO tapers!

  2. #2
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,541
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  3. #3
    Senior Member Pukeskywalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T1000
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    checking now...

    edit: JIS cranks are fine too... I'll be buying a new BB with this purchase

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    355
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pukeskywalker View Post
    checking now...

    edit: JIS cranks are fine too... I'll be buying a new BB with this purchase
    TA Carmina would be a good one. See: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carmina.asp

  5. #5
    Senior Member cod.peace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    eastern Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    Rans V-Rex
    Posts
    999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This place sells extra long cranks. Not cheap thought.
    http://zinncycles.pinnaclecart.com/i...&parent=2&pg=1

    And here I am contemplating 152mm cranks on my next bike...
    old steel Specialized Hardrock

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zinn cycles definetly, I have 205 mm cranks and they are awesome.
    http://zinncycles.com/side-cranks.php

  7. #7
    Getting Hooked on Cycling CranesInTexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 1200
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    question. I have a long torso, not so long legs, but big feet. (6"2", 31.5" inseam, 14 us shoe, 56cm Trek frame)

    would i benefit a longer crank? i have a stock 2004 crank on there now.

    thanks for the input.

  8. #8
    Fresh Garbage hairnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,886
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How tall are some of you? I looked at that whole Zinn thing and it recommended something close to 190mm cranks. I don't understand how someone can ride these kinds of cranks unless they're 7 feet tall. Right now, with 175mm cranks, my legs feel like they come up too high when I'm in the drops. I can't imagine riding with anything larger, also considering how much more awkward it will become to spin compared to the some shorter cranks. The additional 1.5cm in the cranks and 1.5cm lower saddle would have my legs 3cm closer to my chest, that's horrible.
    Last edited by hairnet; 11-22-09 at 07:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    My Bikes
    '89 66cm Cannondale 3.0, '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 JxL Cannondale R1000 Tandem, '86 Cannondale ST800 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs.
    Posts
    786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hairnet View Post
    How tall are some of you? I looked at that whole Zinn thing and it recommended something close to 190mm cranks. I don't understand how someone can ride these kinds of cranks unless they're 7 feet tall. Right now, with 175mm cranks, my legs feel like they come up too high when I'm in the drops. I can't imagine riding with anything larger, also considering how much more awkward it will become to spin compared to the some shorter cranks. The additional 1.5cm in the cranks and 1.5cm lower saddle would have my legs 3cm closer to my chest, that's horrible.
    You probably don't have very good bike fit to begin with. Most cyclists have poor fit, at best, on their road bikes usually riding frames that are MUCH too small for them, resulting in only being able to ride on the hoods 99% of the time. As a rule if you can't COMFORTABLY ride in the drops at least half the time, your bike probably isn't the right fit for you. I'm astounded by the fact that 9 out of every 10 road bikes I see being ridden are completely fit incorrectly, and half of these have roadies taking themselves way too seriously as cyclists anyway...

    I use Zinn 205mm square taper cranks with the 130bcd on a triple. I have it set up as a 24-38-46. The 38 is the smallest middle ring I can get on the 130bcd and while I can easily spin out the 46 when hammering, it gives me great gearing for Colorado (in terms of gain ratios with my 13-32 freewheel) and the varied riding I like to do (mountain passes or just cruising the bike paths). You can't even begin to compare the difference proper and proportional crank length makes to a bigger cyclist.

    Make no mistake 165mm through 180mm does not cover the range of cyclists? That's only six crank lengths to cover frame sizes from 49cm to 63cm (15 different frame sizes). Realistically it takes a range of 150mm through about 220mm to cover the non-outlier sized height distribution of cyclists. However, with Shimanoculutre you're pretty much going to see nearly everyone on 175mm cranks, even though very few people should be...

    Another option other than Zinn for custom length cranks for much much cheaper is Custom Cranks. Check out the analysis on crank length here:

    http://www.customcranks.de/en/cranklength.html

    I like the Zinn cranks I have fine, but I'll be trying Custom Cranks as well.

  10. #10
    Primate Metzinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    gone
    My Bikes
    Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets
    Posts
    2,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one just barely makes it over your lower price limit.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180437106269

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SoCal (So. O.C.)
    My Bikes
    Zinn road bike, Rockhopper MTB
    Posts
    278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link! There is lots of graphic information there to help illustrate the concept of crank length in relation to leg length. I especially like this information from that site:

    Some considerations and tendencies when choosing cranklength,
    depending on...

    ...Cyclist
    shorter <= less - ambitous sport - more => longer

    ...Discipline
    Long distance / Time trial => longer
    frequently starts, cycling in standing position, climbing => longer
    shorter <= circuit race

    ...Body sizes
    shorter <= rel. long tibia || rel. long femur => longer
    shorter <= smal foot || Bigfoot :-0 => longer
    shorter <= full figured |(belly!)| lean => longer
    shorter <= aerodyn |ears| distant => longer

    ...Bicycle
    SingleSpeed => longer

    * * *

    Corner clearence
    When elongating the cranks, bear in mind, that cornering clearance is reduced. **
    While deeper pedals may be an aerodynamical advantage (Cyclist sits also deeper) too little cornering clearance is dangerous.
    For mountainbikers, fatter tyres can increase the ground clearance.
    -------
    I'm having Lennard Zinn build a new bike for me (old one was destroyed when I was rear ended by a pickup) with a frame** which will take into consideration the longer (200) cranks. I don't do Crits & hard cornering, but even if I did I'd have near 'normal' clearance.
    Yes, it will take a while for my muscles to adapt to the change. But after nearly three month off the bike, that's a given!

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbke View Post
    You probably don't have very good bike fit to begin with. Most cyclists have poor fit, at best, on their road bikes usually riding frames that are MUCH too small for them, resulting in only being able to ride on the hoods 99% of the time. As a rule if you can't COMFORTABLY ride in the drops at least half the time, your bike probably isn't the right fit for you. I'm astounded by the fact that 9 out of every 10 road bikes I see being ridden are completely fit incorrectly, and half of these have roadies taking themselves way too seriously as cyclists anyway...

    I use Zinn 205mm square taper cranks with the 130bcd on a triple. I have it set up as a 24-38-46. The 38 is the smallest middle ring I can get on the 130bcd and while I can easily spin out the 46 when hammering, it gives me great gearing for Colorado (in terms of gain ratios with my 13-32 freewheel) and the varied riding I like to do (mountain passes or just cruising the bike paths). You can't even begin to compare the difference proper and proportional crank length makes to a bigger cyclist.

    Make no mistake 165mm through 180mm does not cover the range of cyclists? That's only six crank lengths to cover frame sizes from 49cm to 63cm (15 different frame sizes). Realistically it takes a range of 150mm through about 220mm to cover the non-outlier sized height distribution of cyclists. However, with Shimanoculutre you're pretty much going to see nearly everyone on 175mm cranks, even though very few people should be...

    Another option other than Zinn for custom length cranks for much much cheaper is Custom Cranks. Check out the analysis on crank length here:

    http://www.customcranks.de/en/cranklength.html

    I like the Zinn cranks I have fine, but I'll be trying Custom Cranks as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •