Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-09, 09:48 PM   #1
Herbie53
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Herbie53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 7,157
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Clyde's that do Time Trials?

Anyone do time trials?

I'm getting the itch. How much difference does a TT bike make? I've heard 3 - 5 mph -- sounds like a lot, but would be a nice excuse to add to the stable!!!
Herbie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-09, 11:05 PM   #2
sstorkel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
Posts: 5,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I haven't ridden a TT bike, but I suspect it makes a huge difference! Did a test-ride of the Cervelo S2 during their 48-hour demo program this summer. The S2 has an aggressive road bike riding position, but is much more aerodynamic than the Cervelo RS I normally ride. I was skeptical about the "aero benefit" but test-riding the S2 made me a believer: above 18mph, the S2 was much easier to keep moving than my RS. And that was with heavy, non-aero wheels. Sadly, it climbed like a brick and the ultra-rigid mast-style seatpost made the ride rather uncomfortable.
sstorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 12:14 AM   #3
JCA91
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are currently on a road bike without aero bars then a TT bike would likely add about 2-3 mph on flat ground with comparable wheels. Now, if you go all the way to a full TT bike disc wheel, trispoke, aero helmet, then, you'd get as much as 5-7 mph gain on flat ground depending on your position change. No promises but it will definetly help.
JCA91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 12:45 AM   #4
txvintage
Tilting with windmills
 
txvintage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Texas 'Burbs
Bikes: Many
Posts: 4,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCA91 View Post
If you are currently on a road bike without aero bars then a TT bike would likely add about 2-3 mph on flat ground with comparable wheels. Now, if you go all the way to a full TT bike disc wheel, trispoke, aero helmet, then, you'd get as much as 5-7 mph gain on flat ground depending on your position change. No promises but it will definetly help.
This pretty much sums it up. You can get clip ons and try and borrow a brain bucket and give one a try before popping the big bucks for a TT rig. Entry level rigs are often for sale in my area and it's a temptatation, but I've done some time trialing in my day and can't find the love, lol.

Do a couple before you commit. Check the MABRA site and find some early season rides, or ask around and see if any clubs are holding some casual TT's. You can buy a one day USAC license for $10 if you need to. It's enough to start learning why it's called the race of truth.

If you are really into suffering, you have found your Mecca.
txvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 07:07 AM   #5
Go dog Go
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
Anyone do time trials?

I'm getting the itch. How much difference does a TT bike make? I've heard 3 - 5 mph -- sounds like a lot, but would be a nice excuse to add to the stable!!!

It's cheaper to just see how tightly you can squeeze your head in a vice and and for how long. It's much the same sort of enjoyable experience.
Go dog Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 10:10 AM   #6
Herbie53
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Herbie53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 7,157
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go dog Go View Post
It's cheaper to just see how tightly you can squeeze your head in a vice and and for how long. It's much the same sort of enjoyable experience.
Sounds like just the thing!.....and buying a new bike adds the fun of burning hundred dollar bills whilst doing so.

Actually, I think I might like it, but I like strange things.
Herbie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 10:24 AM   #7
cod.peace
Senior Member
 
cod.peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: eastern Massachusetts
Bikes: Rans V-Rex
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
Sounds like just the thing!.....and buying a new bike adds the fun of burning hundred dollar bills whilst doing so.

Actually, I think I might like it, but I like strange things.
If your interest is greater speed and not UCI-sanctioned racing, you could just get yourself a bike that'd be as aero as a TT bike and not require going to great lengths to get yourself into an optimized aero tuck. And if my understanding of upright TT bikes is correct, the riding position is far and away the most crucial element of achieving excellent aerodynamics.

cod.peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 11:49 AM   #8
sstorkel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
Posts: 5,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by txvintage View Post
Do a couple before you commit. Check the MABRA site and find some early season rides, or ask around and see if any clubs are holding some casual TT's. You can buy a one day USAC license for $10 if you need to. It's enough to start learning why it's called the race of truth.
I treat every ride as if it's a Time Trial! All you need is a route and a stopwatch or bike computer...

But it is possible to find stuff that's a bit more organized. My local Cervelo dealer, for instance, sponsors weekly informal TTs during the summer. They're along open, though lightly traveled roads, with wide shoulders. No race license needed; just show up, sign the waiver, and go. Of course, they just happen to bring a van-load of Cervelo bikes, Zipp wheels, and aero helmets for you to test-ride...
sstorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 07:19 PM   #9
txvintage
Tilting with windmills
 
txvintage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Texas 'Burbs
Bikes: Many
Posts: 4,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
Sounds like just the thing!.....and buying a new bike adds the fun of burning hundred dollar bills whilst doing so.

Actually, I think I might like it, but I like strange things.
If you are one of those big motor kind of guys, sort of a diesel engine who can rev up and hold it forever TT's are for you. It also helps if you are into S&M and don't mind a little sustained suffering.

UCI has jacked with all of the "approved" geometry rules and come out with a list of approved wheels and set requirements for wheel depth and spoke count requirements. The good news here is that if you are not doing UCI sanctioned races there may be some good deals on used equipment from thise who do!

Seriously though, used TT bikes are not that expensive if you stay away from the really high end stuff. A good source for used gear is your local Tri association as well.

Remember that 99% of group rides will not you ride a TT set up so it becomes a very individual bike, as is the end use. The beauty, and agony, of a Time Trial is that it is you against yourself and the clock. It can be a very lonely ride, but it can be rather addicting.

Check the Racing sub forum and read the sticky started by Doc McD. Lot's of good info there.
txvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 10:38 AM   #10
Herbie53
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Herbie53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 7,157
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
I have a bit of a tendency to jump into things with both feet. Got measured up and put an order in with a sailing friend (who is now the local Jamis dealer) for this fine torture device. He made me a deal I could not refuse..... I also have a very understanding and loving wife.

My equipment excuses will be somewhat limited.


Last edited by Herbie53; 12-09-09 at 10:47 AM.
Herbie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 10:56 AM   #11
socalrider
Senior Member
 
socalrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upland, CA
Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
Posts: 5,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are lots of great deals on older time trial bikes on ebay.. Found this one and it is a steal at 350.00.. Make a few modifications with bars and you will have a nice ride.. It is just impractical for many people to get a 2k+ TT bike for use only a few times a year..

http://cgi.ebay.com/LANDSHARK-TIME-S...item5884b32ec0
socalrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 11:08 AM   #12
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
On the Settings page, this thread appears as "Clydes that do Time...." I was afraid to read the thread. :-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 11:20 AM   #13
Herbie53
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Herbie53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 7,157
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
There are lots of great deals on older time trial bikes on ebay.. Found this one and it is a steal at 350.00.. Make a few modifications with bars and you will have a nice ride.. It is just impractical for many people to get a 2k+ TT bike for use only a few times a year..

http://cgi.ebay.com/LANDSHARK-TIME-S...item5884b32ec0
That wouldn't be consistent with my "both feet" plan, and I'm not so much a fan of the vintage funny bike thing. Most of the "modern" TT bikes on the used market are not all that cheap.

Agree, that TT bikes are oddly spendy and not as useful as a good roadbike.. that's the hell of specialization I suppose. I thought about getting a frame set like the Scattante T560 and going low buck, but like I said, my bud made me a deal I could not refuse.
Herbie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 02:31 PM   #14
d4c4c8
Mike the Bike
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern CA
Bikes: Giant OCR C3/Gary Fisher Tasjahara
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
That wouldn't be consistent with my "both feet" plan, and I'm not so much a fan of the vintage funny bike thing. Most of the "modern" TT bikes on the used market are not all that cheap.

Agree, that TT bikes are oddly spendy and not as useful as a good roadbike.. that's the hell of specialization I suppose. I thought about getting a frame set like the Scattante T560 and going low buck, but like I said, my bud made me a deal I could not refuse.
And how much sucking up did you have to do to the wife??
d4c4c8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 03:45 PM   #15
Herbie53
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Herbie53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 7,157
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4c4c8 View Post
And how much sucking up did you have to do to the wife??
putting a room in the basement for her new treadmill.
Herbie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 06:37 PM   #16
d4c4c8
Mike the Bike
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern CA
Bikes: Giant OCR C3/Gary Fisher Tasjahara
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
years ago I got semi serious about time trialing. At the time I was riding a Klein Quantum, I'd install clip-ons on the friday before the TT and take them off again after the race was over. Later i bought a more touring oriented bike, having sold the Klein. I continued to TT but was wasn't nearly as successful. With that bike the clip-ons stayed on the bike most of the season those i rode with on group rides trusted me not to use the aero bars unless i was on the front.
d4c4c8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-09, 08:02 PM   #17
txvintage
Tilting with windmills
 
txvintage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Texas 'Burbs
Bikes: Many
Posts: 4,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
I have a bit of a tendency to jump into things with both feet. Got measured up and put an order in with a sailing friend (who is now the local Jamis dealer) for this fine torture device. He made me a deal I could not refuse..... I also have a very understanding and loving wife.

My equipment excuses will be somewhat limited.

Sweet! I think Jamis is a very under rated brand that give huge bang for the buck.

If you really want to go all out on the suffering at home I know where there is a set of powertap wheels, with everything except heart rate monitor for $600.
txvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 AM.