Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    My Bikes
    '85 Giant Peloton, '98 Giant peloton
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Any clydes with Soul wheels?

    I'm looking into getting a stiffer, more aerodynamic wheel, and really like the Soul S4.0. I was curious if any of you have any experience with the wheels.

    -Nick

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickrows View Post
    I'm looking into getting a stiffer, more aerodynamic wheel, and really like the Soul S4.0. I was curious if any of you have any experience with the wheels.

    -Nick
    I haven't personally tried them, but I know a lighter clyde (215-220) who raced all last season on them and he raves about them. If I had the money, they would be on my short list for new wheels.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    My Bikes
    '85 Giant Peloton, '98 Giant peloton
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. Since I plan on doing some racing this coming season, I just want something better than the wheels I have now. And also want something thats not going to break the bank.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    4,978
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the way the Soul S4.0s look, but I'd be hesitant to buy wheels from a one-man operation located in Singapore. For the money, you can probably find equally good wheels closer to home though the rims won't be as deep (or heavy) as the S4.0s.

  5. #5
    Buh'wah?! Amani576's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    1972 Raleigh Twenty, mid-80's Trek
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sstorkel View Post
    I love the way the Soul S4.0s look, but I'd be hesitant to buy wheels from a one-man operation located in Singapore. For the money, you can probably find equally good wheels closer to home though the rims won't be as deep (or heavy) as the S4.0s.
    I wouldn't discount them simply because of their location. The owner has made posts here on BikeForums before asking about their road frame and how to build it (before it was a reality). It turned out nicely and he listened to a great deal of the responses. He received his fair amount of criticism.
    There's a lot of positve reviews for those wheels. I agree though, that lighter wheels could be had. But the OP may have to wait longer than they're willing to get them at a bargain.
    -Gene-

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    4,978
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amani576 View Post
    I wouldn't discount them simply because of their location. The owner has made posts here on BikeForums before asking about their road frame and how to build it (before it was a reality). It turned out nicely and he listened to a great deal of the responses. He received his fair amount of criticism.
    By all accounts, Sean is a great guy. Still, if there's a problem you're a looong way from the factory.

    I agree though, that lighter wheels could be had. But the OP may have to wait longer than they're willing to get them at a bargain.
    Willams Cycling, Bicycle Wheel Warehouse, Psimet.com and lots of other people will sell you great wheels for less than $500 any day of the wheel! For a $50 premium over Soul S4.0s, that's the way I'd go... Or watch eBay if you're not in a real hurry. My Christmas present last year was a set of Easton EA90 SL wheels for $522 shipped to my door. $130 cashback from Microsoft made the deal even sweeter. Or step up to generic 50mm deep carbon clinchers for $700-800.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •