Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Around now and then DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Around now and then
    Posts
    20,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bicycling Magazine Article - lost hundreds of pounds

    Bicycling Magazine Article - lost hundreds of pounds

    My wife reads Bicycling Magazine, not I.

    She was telling me there is an article inthe current magazine about a guy who lost over 300 lbs - starting at 500 - by bicycling and calorie reduction. Rode a block the first day, etc.

    So, if you get BM, check it out. I believe he is at about 160 lbs now.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

  2. #2
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Costa Rica
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Posts
    3,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Bicycling Magazine Article - lost hundreds of pounds

    My wife reads Bicycling Magazine, not I.

    She was telling me there is an article inthe current magazine about a guy who lost over 300 lbs - starting at 500 - by bicycling and calorie reduction. Rode a block the first day, etc.

    So, if you get BM, check it out. I believe he is at about 160 lbs now.
    Tom Stormcrow is an incredible story and he is about to turn into an old geezer like us!

  3. #3
    Around now and then DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Around now and then
    Posts
    20,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Tom Stormcrow is an incredible story and he is about to turn into an old geezer like us!
    Yes, but by the time he qualifies for the 70+ thread, I will be 90. It doesn't seem fair!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

  4. #4
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
    Tom Stormcrow is an incredible story and he is about to turn into an old geezer like us!
    Yes, that's true, but the Bicycling story is on another rider.

  5. #5
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Yes, but by the time he qualifies for the 70+ thread, I will be 90. It doesn't seem fair!!
    Do you prefer the alternative to turning 90? I don't. :-)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB
    Posts
    1,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Do you prefer the alternative to turning 90? I don't. :-)
    There's more than 1 alternative, if you believe the speed of light is possible to achieve

  7. #7
    Cyde adam12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Liberal, Ks
    My Bikes
    Surly Karate Monkey, Old 94 GT Tequesta, Fetish SAC with Campy components
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That article is about this guy. Large Fella on a Bike
    Living to ride.

  8. #8
    Around now and then DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Around now and then
    Posts
    20,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechKnowGN View Post
    There's more than 1 alternative, if you believe the speed of light is possible to achieve
    I just watched Startrek again on DVD - they had absolutely no problem exceeding the speed of light. But, amazingly, they dod not age backwards!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

  9. #9
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,009
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Actually, they don't exceed the speed of light. Instead, they modify the apparent parameters of the universe. WARP drive actually uses gravity fields to warp the membrane of space and "shrink" the distance scale in the direction of travel. Believe it or not, it even turns out to be theoretically possible to do, given enough energy to throw at the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I just watched Startrek again on DVD - they had absolutely no problem exceeding the speed of light. But, amazingly, they dod not age backwards!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  10. #10
    Around now and then DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Around now and then
    Posts
    20,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Actually, they don't exceed the speed of light.
    I heard them say in the movie "We will go faster than the speed of light."
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    Actually, they don't exceed the speed of light. Instead, they modify the apparent parameters of the universe. WARP drive actually uses gravity fields to warp the membrane of space and "shrink" the distance scale in the direction of travel. Believe it or not, it even turns out to be theoretically possible to do, given enough energy to throw at the problem.
    What you describe is what similar to what scientists posit "warp drive" should do. However, in Star Trek the warp engines actually generates a field that moves the ship into an "adjacent" universe where top speeds aren't nearly as limited.

    Warp drive actually should bend space so that it creates an artificial gravity. It compresses space in the direction of travel and bulges it in the opposite direction. Using this setup, you don't have to actually travel very fast. You just have to bend more space.

  12. #12
    Around now and then DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Around now and then
    Posts
    20,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, the ultimate question:

    How does a thread go from "losing hundreds of pounds" to "warp speed?"

    Is the Thread going faser than the speed of light - perhaps even warping?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-10-09 at 06:52 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

  13. #13
    29er Rider MNRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher ARC Pro, Cannondale Caffein 29er Lefty hardtail, building a Kona Major One, Custom steel frame from early 80's with Campy Nuovo Record
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been accused of being "warped", at least in the "sense of humor" mold. Does that fit?

    Back to the OP, I read the article and it is inspiring to say the least.
    Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive anyway.

  14. #14
    Buh'wah?! Amani576's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    1972 Raleigh Twenty, mid-80's Trek
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read the article and it's incredibly well written. It's not gonna convince most people to hop on a bike and lose weight, but it does a good job of documenting one mans struggle. Many props to him. That's incredible.
    -Gene-

  15. #15
    Senior Member bigvegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adam12 View Post
    That article is about this guy. Large Fella on a Bike
    That's the guy. (http://istanbultea.typepad.com/largefellaonabike/ for those who might have missed the url.) It's fascinating if you start at the beginning of that blog and follow his progress.

    He also did some pretty interesting interviews with some top-notch framebuilders that are well worth reading on that blog.

  16. #16
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvegan View Post
    That's the guy. (http://istanbultea.typepad.com/largefellaonabike/ for those who might have missed the url.) It's fascinating if you start at the beginning of that blog and follow his progress.

    He also did some pretty interesting interviews with some top-notch framebuilders that are well worth reading on that blog.
    I found one thing interesting. To judge from the photos, it looks like Mr. Cutshall went gray during the weight loss. I had the same thing happen to me - the pepper disappeared with the weight, leaving only the salt. I wonder if it's coincidence - Scott C and I are both middle aged men - or does large-scale weight loss put such a stress on the body that your hair will turn gray from it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •