Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-10, 08:44 AM   #1
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am
Thread Starter
 
BigUgly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central, PA via Philthadelphia
Bikes:
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
John Bartram Trail in PA???

I know there are some PA people in here and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this trail along the Schuykill River then runs from Hamburg to somewhere close to Pottsville? I am trying to map a ride from Pottsville to Skippack, PA and am looking for an Alternative to Rt 61 from Pottsville to Hamburg? Any suggestions? I will be on a skinny tire road bike and don't mind taking it on hard packed gravel rail trails. Thanks.
BigUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 09:30 AM   #2
Bone Head
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pottsville to Hamburg while avoiding Route 61 is gonna be a tough one. If you were on a fat tire MTB, there are active railroad tracks you could follow along the river. Probably not a great option for skinny tires.
If you can get to Schuylkill Haven, you may be able to get to Hamburg via Landingville and along the east side of the lake / Auburn.
Avoid 901 (Gordon Nagle Trail) from Pottsville to Cressona / Schuylkill Haven. I hate driving it and wouldn't even consider riding on it!!

Perhaps Spokes Bike Shop in Hamburg or one of the local bike clubs listed on their website can offer a route? Bartram Trail is a listed link on their website. http://schuylkillriver.org/trail_pag...tram_paths.pdf

Spokes Bike Shop
www.spokesbikeshop.com
16590 Pottsville Pike
Hamburg, PA 19526-8104
(610) 562-8900

Best of luck!!

Last edited by Bone Head; 02-01-10 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Bone Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 12:29 PM   #3
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am
Thread Starter
 
BigUgly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central, PA via Philthadelphia
Bikes:
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Bone Head. I found the website for Spokes this morning and a Berks County Cycling Club I am going to contact them. You are the 2nd person that said stay off 901 and I appreciate that as I was eyeing it up as a potential route. Maybe I will just bite the bullit and ride on 61 only where I have to. I have ridden on 4 lane highways before and it should be on a Saturday morning in the summer so maybe there won't be too much traffic. I am finding that the Bartram trail doesn't make it all the way to Landingville yet. Thanks again.
BigUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 07:58 AM   #4
Bone Head
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
61 from the south end of Pottsville (Mount Carbon) to Schuylkill Haven may be doable. There is a wide shoulder that I believe may be paved. I'm sure there will be debris on the shoulder but it may the the least offensive option. Best of luck Anthracycling!!
Bone Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 08:10 AM   #5
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUgly View Post
I know there are some PA people in here and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this trail along the Schuykill River then runs from Hamburg to somewhere close to Pottsville? I am trying to map a ride from Pottsville to Skippack, PA and am looking for an Alternative to Rt 61 from Pottsville to Hamburg? Any suggestions? I will be on a skinny tire road bike and don't mind taking it on hard packed gravel rail trails. Thanks.

Let me know when you are coming down. I could ride with you near Skippack if you like.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 08:48 AM   #6
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am
Thread Starter
 
BigUgly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central, PA via Philthadelphia
Bikes:
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
Best of luck Anthracycling!!
Thanks. I opted to skip Centralia & Ashland to cut off some mileage so I could make the trip in 2 days instead of 3 but I think Pottsville is still somewhat coal ******* territory.

Historian, I am planning on making the trip June 18 & 19. I have been debating whether or not to use the Perky Trail. Hopping on somewhere around Salford Station Road(above Spring Mount and I know about the hill on the trail behind the ski area) and riding it down to the trail that goes over to Skippack. I may be on an old Schwinn Tandem with my daughter at that point but we would definitely welcome the company and to finally meet the legendary Historian!
BigUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 09:55 AM   #7
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUgly View Post
Thanks. I opted to skip Centralia & Ashland to cut off some mileage so I could make the trip in 2 days instead of 3 but I think Pottsville is still somewhat coal ******* territory.

Historian, I am planning on making the trip June 18 & 19. I have been debating whether or not to use the Perky Trail. Hopping on somewhere around Salford Station Road(above Spring Mount and I know about the hill on the trail behind the ski area) and riding it down to the trail that goes over to Skippack. I may be on an old Schwinn Tandem with my daughter at that point but we would definitely welcome the company and to finally meet the legendary Historian!
Deal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 10:09 AM   #8
Whiteknight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bone Head,

You mention Spokes Bike Shop and give the highway address.

If you know the area and ever plan on going to this shop you should be aware that they moved out of the building they started in. They are now down closer to Shoemakersville on Route 61. A bigger store. Saw them moving about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 12:28 PM   #9
Bone Head
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUgly View Post
Thanks. I opted to skip Centralia & Ashland to cut off some mileage so I could make the trip in 2 days instead of 3 but I think Pottsville is still somewhat coal ******* territory.
I'm originally from Minersville just a few miles from Pottsville. I'd have to say that Pottsville is definitely Coal Country! Not as hard-core as Shenandoah or Mahanoy City, but coal country just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteknight View Post
Bone Head,

You mention Spokes Bike Shop and give the highway address.

If you know the area and ever plan on going to this shop you should be aware that they moved out of the building they started in. They are now down closer to Shoemakersville on Route 61. A bigger store. Saw them moving about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Thanks for the info. On the rare occasion when I get back to PA w/ my bike, Spokes is the closest(only) bike shop. I always manage to blow a tube or cut a tire etc. The 2 or 3 times that I've stopped in, they have been very helpful.
Bone Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 02:50 PM   #10
Whiteknight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
I'm originally from Minersville just a few miles from Pottsville. I'd have to say that Pottsville is definitely Coal Country! Not as hard-core as Shenandoah or Mahanoy City, but coal country just the same.



Thanks for the info. On the rare occasion when I get back to PA w/ my bike, Spokes is the closest(only) bike shop. I always manage to blow a tube or cut a tire etc. The 2 or 3 times that I've stopped in, they have been very helpful.

Minersville!!

We hit that area twice a month for the Marlin Market.
Then in the summer there is always the ethnic picnics at the grounds west of Minersville on 901. The ethnic food is real good. Haven't seen it like that since I was a kid in the south end of Reading when it was almost all Polish and Slovak.
Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 12:38 PM   #11
Bone Head
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR Limited
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteknight View Post
Minersville!!

We hit that area twice a month for the Marlin Market.
Then in the summer there is always the ethnic picnics at the grounds west of Minersville on 901. The ethnic food is real good. Haven't seen it like that since I was a kid in the south end of Reading when it was almost all Polish and Slovak.
Ah yes, MarLin Markets - the only retail store in 'downtown MarLin'-- They also have a shop @ Renninger's Farmer's Market (The Auction) on 61 between Orwigsburg and Schuylkill Haven.
But for the best Kielbasa I always go up to Kowalonek's in Shenandoah for their 'fresh kielbasy' and the 'kielbasy loaf.' The line is around the block just before Easter!! http://www.kielbasy.net/

How do you think I got to be Clydesdale? "The Polish Picnic" up @ St. Nick's in Primrose!! Legendary!! Homemade Pierogies, Halushki, and a cold Yuengling. Where else can you get bean soup cooked over an open fire in what looked like a witch's cauldron -- stirred with love and a boat oar?! Brings a tear to my eye.

My apologies to the OP for getting off topic and sentimental...
Bone Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 AM.