Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member Crazy88s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Woohoo! My first road bike!

    With the Tour de Cure coming up in May, I knew I had to just bite the bullet and get a road bike. I've been looking for one for a while now and decided to try a new LBS and see what they had. It turns out I went to the right place. I told them what I was looking for and they were extremely helpful. I test rode a Felt Z85, Specialized Allex, Sectuer and Tarmac. The Specialized bikes felt a little more comfortable to me than the Felt and while the Tarmac was pure awesome, it was outside my price range. I decided on a 2010 Specialized Allez Elite. I got a $150 discount and a free basic bike fitting. Overall it was an amazing buying experience.

    Here are the pics:






  2. #2
    Born Again Pagan irclean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Southwestern Ontario
    My Bikes
    Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB
    Posts
    2,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike. Turn it around if you want full credit for your pics (driveside facing camera).
    Gettin' my Fred on.

  3. #3
    Bikesman RedWhiteandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northern Clime
    My Bikes
    Giant Seek 1 IGH; Specialized Roubaix On Order
    Posts
    364
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fabulous looking bike - love the pedals. Now, in the words of Freddie Mercury - get on your bike and ride.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice looking bike, loks fast just sitting there. I'm sure you will get years of enjoyment. I will guarantee one thing. That Tarmac will stick in your mind till you are taking a picture of it...hahaha. You do realize it's an addiction right?
    Best thing about cycling is when I'm at work I'm thinking of cycling, when I'm cycling I'm thinking about cycling.

  5. #5
    Senior Member longbeachgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Long Beach California
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Posts
    3,258
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome....Now flip the stem.

  6. #6
    Senior Member NOLABill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Near Catania, Sicily
    My Bikes
    In the process of buying a Pinarello FP4. 2009 Trek 7.3FX; 2010 Trek 2.3; 2009 Fisher Tassajara
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!!! Beautiful bike!!!

  7. #7
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,005
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I ride an Allez, myself.

    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  8. #8
    Senior Member ericsday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    TEXAS
    My Bikes
    FELT Z5
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats

  9. #9
    Senior Member Crazy88s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what flipping the stem means but I'm leaving this puppy the way it is for a while until I break it in. Thanks for the comments guys! It's going to be sunny and around 50 degrees today so me and a buddy are going on a 2 hour ride. I can't wait to get this beauty on the road.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Herbie53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    5,680
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy88s View Post
    I don't know what flipping the stem means but I'm leaving this puppy the way it is for a while until I break it in. Thanks for the comments guys! It's going to be sunny and around 50 degrees today so me and a buddy are going on a 2 hour ride. I can't wait to get this beauty on the road.
    Flipping the stem is simply removing in and turning it over to give a more aggressive (lower handlebar) riding position. Most stems are made to provide either 5-8 degrees of rise or drop depending on which way you put it on. "Flip it" is a common retort in the road forum. For we Clydes flipping it often involves some clearance (gut to knee) and flexability issues be addressed first.

    Bike looks good!! Now ride it.... then flip it!
    "Today me will live in the moment, unless it's unpleasant, then me will eat cookie." -Cookie Monster

  11. #11
    Senior Member DanteB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, Host of the 2012 ToC ITT
    My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Posts
    1,747
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking bike! Now knock'em dead on the Tour.
    Make mine a double!

  12. #12
    Tilting with windmills txvintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas 'Burbs
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    4,832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent! You guys are gonna make me get off my duff and build out my new unvailing. It does need to get done.

  13. #13
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't flip the stem. It will make the bike look fast but you will be uncomfy on long rides. If you aren't racing or don't care about impressing the crowds, skip it.

    I don't flip mine, I care more about being comfy on a long ride. Besides, ride time and fitness will make a much more difference in speed than flipping the stem.

    Matter of fact, I switched the drop stem to a rise on my climbing bike. Better for those 12,000 ft climbing rides. Allows the rider to sit more upright for better breathing. Watch a Tour De France video, the best climbers aer upright while climbing. That's because it allows for better breathing. As a Clyde, do you want to hunch over more than needed while restrciting air flow? Nope!

    If you want aerodynamics, shave your legs!

    Rise stem for better breathing while avoiding the backache, what will get me through the 114 miles and 12,000 ft, looking fast or efficient breathing?
    Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 02-07-10 at 11:30 AM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member bbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GallatinTn
    My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats on the new ride.
    Brandon Gallatin, Tn.
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/bwbeck

  15. #15
    Senior Member Herbie53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    5,680
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Don't flip the stem. It will make the bike look fast but you will be uncomfy on long rides. If you aren't racing or don't care about impressing the crowds, skip it.

    I don't flip mine, I care more about being comfy on a long ride. Besides, ride time and fitness will make a much more difference in speed than flipping the stem.

    Matter of fact, I switched the drop stem to a rise on my climbing bike. Better for those 12,000 ft climbing rides. Allows the rider to sit more upright for better breathing. Watch a Tour De France video, the best climbers aer upright while climbing. That's because it allows for better breathing. As a Clyde, do you want to hunch over more than needed while restrciting air flow? Nope!

    If you want aerodynamics, shave your legs!

    Rise stem for better breathing while avoiding the backache, what will get me through the 114 miles and 12,000 ft, looking fast or efficient breathing?
    Not gonna argue that one should flip a stem just because it's fashionable, but I think it's a bit of a generalization to say more upright is always better. Really depends on the specific geometry of the bike (how tall is the headtube / how much drop) as well as the geometry and flexability of the rider.

    Got a fit done a bit ago and they swapped my stem for 1 cm more reach and went from +6 degree (rise) to a 0 degree one (I can flip it and nothing happens except the label is upside down). Used to get a sore lower back and numbness in my hands, now I've never been more comfy on my bike. Fittings are a good thing.
    "Today me will live in the moment, unless it's unpleasant, then me will eat cookie." -Cookie Monster

  16. #16
    Senior Member cyclezealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
    My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Posts
    13,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irclean View Post
    Nice bike. Turn it around if you want full credit for your pics (driveside facing camera).
    Looks like a triple. Nice bike.. Can't beat the ride of a real road bike...
    Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living






    ^ Since January 1, 2012

  17. #17
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
    Not gonna argue that one should flip a stem just because it's fashionable, but I think it's a bit of a generalization to say more upright is always better. Really depends on the specific geometry of the bike (how tall is the headtube / how much drop) as well as the geometry and flexability of the rider.
    .
    I'm not sure where I made that statement. I ddi throw in "being a clyde" cause I know the OP isn't an itty bitty waisted Clyde, neither am I. I was going off his previous claims of weight and such.

    Sure, varies but I was suggesting in this case that the above comments of flip the stem doesn't seem neccesary in this case (this OP), not yet anyways. He may want to after more riding and more flexibilty. I never said always.

    Also I didn't post my comments against your comments above. It was in response to the other poster that said "Awesome....now flip the stem" without any reason or consideration towards the OP. Not that there is anything wrong with flipping it to look fast.
    Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 02-07-10 at 01:56 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Crazy88s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HOLY CRAP!!!! I love this bike! I did a 25 mile ride with my buddy today. 2 things.

    1) It's freaking fast! Hills seemed liked minor inconveniences rather than insurmountable. I was doing 20+ mph without even realizing it on level road and it didn't even seem like I was pedaling that hard. I'm in love!

    2) Cycling shorts are the best inventions ever. My butt doesn't hurt at all.

    Oh and I had my first fall while trying to clip in. This happened at the beginning too. LOL. I made sure the bike was okay.

    19463_291375363882_757283882_3480169_3930379_n.jpg

  19. #19
    Senior Member Herbie53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    5,680
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy88s View Post
    HOLY CRAP!!!! I love this bike! I did a 25 mile ride with my buddy today. 2 things.

    1) It's freaking fast! Hills seemed liked minor inconveniences rather than insurmountable. I was doing 20+ mph without even realizing it on level road and it didn't even seem like I was pedaling that hard. I'm in love!

    2) Cycling shorts are the best inventions ever. My butt doesn't hurt at all.

    Oh and I had my first fall while trying to clip in. This happened at the beginning too. LOL. I made sure the bike was okay.

    19463_291375363882_757283882_3480169_3930379_n.jpg
    Awesome! and welcome to the club (Brotherhood of Clipless Laugh-In Style Tipper Overers - BOCLISTO for short).
    "Today me will live in the moment, unless it's unpleasant, then me will eat cookie." -Cookie Monster

  20. #20
    Senior Member Herbie53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    5,680
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    I'm not sure where I made that statement. I ddi throw in "being a clyde" cause I know the OP isn't an itty bitty waisted Clyde, neither am I. I was going off his previous claims of weight and such.

    Sure, varies but I was suggesting in this case that the above comments of flip the stem doesn't seem neccesary in this case (this OP), not yet anyways. He may want to after more riding and more flexibilty. I never said always.

    Also I didn't post my comments against your comments above. It was in response to the other poster that said "Awesome....now flip the stem" without any reason or consideration towards the OP. Not that there is anything wrong with flipping it to look fast.
    it seems we are in violent agreement.
    "Today me will live in the moment, unless it's unpleasant, then me will eat cookie." -Cookie Monster

  21. #21
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie53 View Post
    it seems we are in violent agreement.
    You are violent like that Homey character. It's tough remaining this sweet personality at times!

  22. #22
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy88s View Post
    I made sure the bike was okay.

    Atleast you got your priorities straight!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •