Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-10, 09:02 AM   #1
MrClyde
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Marcos, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Duathlon Report

I did the Duathlon at Camp Pendleton on Saturday. Started out with a 5K run through some parking lots, then out a gravel fire road to the turn around, then back. I started nice and easy, maybe too easy. Tried to keep a pace I felt I could maintain for a long time so I didn't burn out.

Got back to the transition area, and I think there was only about 15 bikes left Not a good sign. Got on the bike, that felt better than running. I passed a bunch of people on the bike part, but for as slow as I was at the first run, that isn't saying a whole lot. The bike portion was 30K, almost 19 miles. I finished it in under an hour, I think my Garmin read about 56 minutes.

Back to the transition area, running shoes back on, and took off. My goal was to jog the entire 2nd 5K, to not have to walk, and finish under 2 hours. I ended up walking a little on the last run, I was worn out. Finished at 2:03, next to last in the Clyde class.

I need to practice running more, I was not "race ready" for that much running but it was a good time and now I feel more motivated to work on my running.
MrClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 09:55 AM   #2
gotls1
Cute, fluffy, and illegal
 
gotls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats on completing it and not being last. You'll do even better next time.
gotls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 10:35 AM   #3
tardman91
Senior Member
 
tardman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa Bay Area, FL
Bikes:
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear you on the running. I would like to eventually participate in triathlons. I can handle the swimming and the biking without a problem. It's the running that will kill me though. I've started running a little, but I have a long way to go before I can tackle a 5K. Just keep it up, you'll improve a lot faster than you think.
tardman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 02:04 PM   #4
IAmCosmo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Roanoke, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have three triathlons scheduled this year. First one coming up May 1.

Before this year, I hadn't done any running since high school (1991). A friend of mine who runs a lot suggested this plan to me: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I followed it just as they say, but adding 10 minutes to the total time on each section. So far, so good. Once I get it down where 5k is not much of a challenge for me (I'm about 75% there I guess) I want to work on my speed. I'd like to get my 5k time into the 25 minute range (about 30 minutes right now).

Then I have to work on my swimming, which is a completely different story...
IAmCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 08:57 AM   #5
MrClyde
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Marcos, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotls1 View Post
Congrats on completing it and not being last. You'll do even better next time.
Thanks, and there will be a next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmCosmo View Post
I have three triathlons scheduled this year. First one coming up May 1.

Before this year, I hadn't done any running since high school (1991). A friend of mine who runs a lot suggested this plan to me: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I followed it just as they say, but adding 10 minutes to the total time on each section. So far, so good. Once I get it down where 5k is not much of a challenge for me (I'm about 75% there I guess) I want to work on my speed. I'd like to get my 5k time into the 25 minute range (about 30 minutes right now).

Then I have to work on my swimming, which is a completely different story...
Thanks for the link, I will read through that. We are about the same age (class of 90).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardman91 View Post
I hear you on the running. I would like to eventually participate in triathlons. I can handle the swimming and the biking without a problem. It's the running that will kill me though. I've started running a little, but I have a long way to go before I can tackle a 5K. Just keep it up, you'll improve a lot faster than you think.
Yea, running especially for us big guys is tough. I am excited that my knees are taking it pretty well. That was not the case prior to the biking.
MrClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 09:46 AM   #6
youcoming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Bikes: Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
Posts: 2,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WTG you did better than I would. I have a knee that just won't let me run at all, hurts just reading your report.
youcoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 10:31 AM   #7
MrClyde
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Marcos, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by youcoming View Post
WTG you did better than I would. I have a knee that just won't let me run at all, hurts just reading your report.
I thought I would never be able to run without pain again. I tried knee supports, different shoes, different socks, couldn't do it. Over the last 14 months, I have lost 30 lbs and been biking consistently. Either from the weight loss, or consistent exercise, my knees have not bothered me in the preparation or the event. I may actually be able to work up to one of my "bucket list" items, run a marathon.
MrClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 12:00 PM   #8
youcoming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Bikes: Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
Posts: 2,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClyde View Post
I thought I would never be able to run without pain again. I tried knee supports, different shoes, different socks, couldn't do it. Over the last 14 months, I have lost 30 lbs and been biking consistently. Either from the weight loss, or consistent exercise, my knees have not bothered me in the preparation or the event. I may actually be able to work up to one of my "bucket list" items, run a marathon.
I too have lost weight, my issue is I feel out of a tree about 6 years ago and slightly tore the tendons in my left knee and it's never ben the same. I can run about 6km but sometimes I loose feeling in my lower leg afterwards and that is no fun!
youcoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 01:00 PM   #9
MrClyde
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Marcos, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ouch! I think my knee issues are just too heavy/not enough regular activity.
MrClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 03:41 PM   #10
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's cool you get out there and do it! Running seems to be the big factor in tri/duo type events. The Ironman is usually won or lost by the running segment of the race.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 08:29 AM   #11
MrClyde
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Marcos, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Running is a huge factor. They posted the split times, I was 353rd overall in the first 5K, 174th overall in the bike, and 337th overall in the 2nd 5K, for 296th overall finishing position. I think I can get 4 or 5 minutes off of each 5K with more training.

I don't have any more duathlons in the near future, but I will probably do this one again next year. I'm going to do some bike races now, just got a road bike so I am all ready, other than being too big, too heavy and out of shape
MrClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 AM.