Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   is my bike strong enough? long and i tend to use to much info. (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/635752-my-bike-strong-enough-long-i-tend-use-much-info.html)

mrt2you 04-10-10 03:34 PM

is my bike strong enough? long and i tend to use to much info.
 
hi i just started on this site and got referred to this area.

i am 5' 10" 230 lbs. i am not really that fat, 35" waist just a pretty muscular guy who wants to ride to get in a bit better shape. i don't think i have ever been lighter than 215 my entire adult life.
i started riding last summer with some guys from work. they all have road bikes and i am riding a trek 730 muktitrek. i logged about 600 miles last summer.
i always seem to be at the back of the pack, or they have to slow up so i don't fall to far back, because of poor gearing, only 50 teeth front crank with a smallest of 12 on the cassette.

i just picked up a trek 2300 composite bike at a thrift shop cheap that needed some work.
after purchasing the repair parts to recondition it. a co worker mentions that i might be a bit heavy for the carbon fiber on the 2300. the final gearing would be 53 crank, 11 on the smallest on the cassette.
is he pulling my chain hoping i won't ride my better bike and keep up with him, maybe even be faster than him with better gearing? or does he have a point that due to my size i might over stress the carbon fiber on the 2300.
maybe just put better gearing and road tires on the 720 and call it a day. then sell the 2300 for a fair profit.
what are your thoughts on this subject?

mkadam68 04-10-10 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrt2you (Post 10651452)
is he pulling my chain hoping i won't ride my better bike and keep up with him, maybe even be faster than him with better gearing? or does he have a point that due to my size i might over stress the carbon fiber on the 2300

No. He's just ignorant. You should be fine. It is an older bike, so take it to a local shop, get them to check it out. At 230-lbs., you're not too terribly big.

MVclyde 04-10-10 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkadam68 (Post 10651762)
No. He's just ignorant. You should be fine. It is an older bike, so take it to a local shop, get them to check it out. At 230-lbs., you're not too terribly big.

+1

damnable 04-10-10 07:25 PM

The only reason you wouldn't ride that is if the carbon was somehow damaged before you got to it, and if this was a case a smaller person would habe the same problem.

trustnoone 04-10-10 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrt2you (Post 10651452)
i always seem to be at the back of the pack, or they have to slow up so i don't fall to far back, because of poor gearing, only 50 teeth front crank with a smallest of 12 on the cassette.

You are spinning out on a 50x12 in Wisconsin!? Using Sheldon Brown's Gear calculator ( http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ ) this gives an estimated average speed of 29.3 mi/hr at 90 RPM. The average speed for Oscar Freire in Milan - San Remo was only 26.6 mi/hr. If you could grind a 53x11 at 90 RPM you'd drop Cancellara at the Worlds by at least a minute.

Mr. Beanz 04-11-10 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trustnoone (Post 10652498)
You are spinning out on a 50x12 in Wisconsin!? Using Sheldon Brown's Gear calculator ( http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ ) this gives an estimated average speed of 29.3 mi/hr at 90 RPM. The average speed for Oscar Freire in Milan - San Remo was only 26.6 mi/hr. If you could grind a 53x11 at 90 RPM you'd drop Cancellara at the Worlds by at least a minute.

My first thought: The guy that told you the gearing is keeping you from keeping up is yanking your chain.:D

MikeWinVA 04-11-10 01:07 AM

If the frame is sound (not crashed) it will hold you. If it is the aluminum lugged 2300 (pre 1999 had carbon tubes bonded to AL lugs), check the joints to be sure they are good.

There are some +300 pounders here on CF bikes. Get some compact or touring gearing and you should be fine. Remember to spin and not mash the pedals, your knees will appreciate it.

http://www.vintage-trek.com has some info on this bike.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 AM.