Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,032
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Oh, the misery... man am I out of shape

    just got back from 2 weeks of business trips and hopped on my newly refurbished bike for a quick spin tonight... 3rd ride of the year. Couldn't find a jersey that didn't make me look like a bloated ox, so I found one without pockets, tucked my cell phone inside my shorts in a ziploc and headed out. not quite 7 miles and although I thought it was really hilly, the ol' cell phone GPS revealed a net gain of 275 feet.

    *sigh* I've got some work to do.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco!
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)
    Posts
    903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how you feel. It's been a while since I rode before I got my Surly LHT. My first attempt at a long distance ride ended at 3 miles. I was gasping for air. I used to be able to do 40 miles easily on an old gas-pipe ten-speed

  3. #3
    Senior Member gerald_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    AB, Canada
    My Bikes
    Trek 1220 - Araya R200 - Specialized StumpJumper
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 - today = first ride of the season...

    legs feel like I rode 100km, butt says 200km, speedometer says 47km.

  4. #4
    Each Drop of Sweat Counts
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Iwakuni Japan
    My Bikes
    MASI Speciale Road, Specialized Rockhopper 29'er, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT, Ignio Folding bike
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how you guys feel. I hadn't ridden all winter. Hopped on a bike a couple weeks ago and rode maybe 12 km or so then the next day went on a 60 km ride with no padded shorts. That distance was a warm up last summer and it was tougher this time out. My big mistake was riding without padded shorts on essentially the first ride of the season. Couldn't sit down for a couple days. Gradually getting it back together. GPS dumped into Ascent software says I did a 23.7% grade today. So I'm not dead yet.

    John

  5. #5
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,290
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We who are about to die salute you!

    If we can stop huffing and puffing long enough to get off the ground.
    Your friendly, local, minor god of information.

  6. #6
    RVH
    RVH is offline
    Bob from Boston
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Waterville Valley, NH
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.9 (2004 model bought used)
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    the ol' cell phone GPS revealed a net gain of 275 feet.

    *sigh* I've got some work to do.
    What app on your phone shows net elevation gain/loss? Tell us more about this please.

    Bob

  7. #7
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,032
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a program called AllSports GPS (trimbleoutdoors.com) and works on a huge number of phones.... Apparently there are a ton of similar apps, especially if you have an iPhone (I don't) but this one is pretty cool. I think it was $20 for my blackberry.

    This is my little spin from yesterday.

    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/685509

    I also have a little program called Black Star that will gather GPS waypoints, but I don't know what to do with that info just yet.

  8. #8
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    , tucked my cell phone inside my shorts
    My guess is that your GPS can't be accurate "under" these conditions!

  9. #9
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,032
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    My guess is that your GPS can't be accurate "under" these conditions!
    Unfortunately, I think it was! I didn't make any claims that the phone enjoyed being there though. I think I need a new seatbag. Ahem.

  10. #10
    Senior Member breadbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West of Ireland
    My Bikes
    Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax
    Posts
    640
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol about the shorts i can empathise though about the running out of wind. i used to be able to, and did, cycle 50 miles every night when i was younger but have been out of cycling for so long. the first day out this year and i was puffing and panting, you'd swear i was racing whereas i was trying to take it easy!! so out of shape but after 2 weeks i am getting better i think - not much but better all the same so bear with it
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/evildiesel
    October miles=18/100

  11. #11
    Neil_B
    Guest
    I know how you feel. I've yet to hit 20 miles this year. Yuck. :-(

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    690
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekJapan View Post
    I know how you guys feel. I hadn't ridden all winter. Hopped on a bike a couple weeks ago and rode maybe 12 km or so then the next day went on a 60 km ride with no padded shorts. That distance was a warm up last summer and it was tougher this time out. My big mistake was riding without padded shorts on essentially the first ride of the season. Couldn't sit down for a couple days. Gradually getting it back together. GPS dumped into Ascent software says I did a 23.7% grade today. So I'm not dead yet.

    John
    I'll be the iconoclast and suggest that padded short would not have helped. I used to ride "back in the day" when there were no padded shorts, just chamois. I got back into riding after an 11 year hiatus and found the padded shorts to just be too much padding. The seam from the padding even caused saddle sores for me. I have a pair of shorts with almost no padding and they're great! I have plenty of my own natural "padding" anyway...

  13. #13
    Each Drop of Sweat Counts
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Iwakuni Japan
    My Bikes
    MASI Speciale Road, Specialized Rockhopper 29'er, Dahon Jetstream XP, Dahon Speed P8, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Speed TT, Ignio Folding bike
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to pack a pair of shorts ( I live in Iwakuni Japan) and am currently working in Ie Shima Japan, a small island off of Okinawa for a couple months). Shipped one of my folding bikes down here for this work project so I wouldn't go crazy. I bought a pair of padded Cannondale shorts, kinda mountain bike-ish and I love 'em.

    On some of my bikes I can easily ride without padded shorts. It's a saddle/geometry thing. Some bikes really cause a lot of chafing and such. I'm sure the amount of or lack of sweat matters as well among a hundred other things.

    John

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    690
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekJapan View Post
    I forgot to pack a pair of shorts ( I live in Iwakuni Japan) and am currently working in Ie Shima Japan, a small island off of Okinawa for a couple months). Shipped one of my folding bikes down here for this work project so I wouldn't go crazy. I bought a pair of padded Cannondale shorts, kinda mountain bike-ish and I love 'em.

    On some of my bikes I can easily ride without padded shorts. It's a saddle/geometry thing. Some bikes really cause a lot of chafing and such. I'm sure the amount of or lack of sweat matters as well among a hundred other things.

    John
    Padding doesn't really do much for chafing, at least in my experience. It's the fact that the fabric doesn't move. The fabric rubs against the seat instead of your skin.

  15. #15
    Member clanmacleod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misery loves company. I tried to do a test ride of a planned 12 mile commute to work today and made it about 4 miles before I had to get off the bike for fear of death from lack of O2. Very sad day for me. Like many here, I used to be fit, and it doesn't always compute that I'm not any more.

    BTW- I'm a 35 yo father of three who used to be a soldier (required fitness)... 10 years of civilian family life and I've gone from a solid 5' 7" 160lbs to the 230lb man who couldn't bike 12 miles typing before you today.

    I was depressed and it's kinda nice to not be alone.
    If it's not worth doing, it not worth doing well.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    690
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clanmacleod View Post
    Misery loves company. I tried to do a test ride of a planned 12 mile commute to work today and made it about 4 miles before I had to get off the bike for fear of death from lack of O2. Very sad day for me. Like many here, I used to be fit, and it doesn't always compute that I'm not any more.

    BTW- I'm a 35 yo father of three who used to be a soldier (required fitness)... 10 years of civilian family life and I've gone from a solid 5' 7" 160lbs to the 230lb man who couldn't bike 12 miles typing before you today.

    I was depressed and it's kinda nice to not be alone.
    I was off my bike from about 1997 to 2009. During that period I think I rode five times and gained dozens of pounds. The first time back out in the summer 2009 I did OK. I think I rode 23 miles. The second time was a different story. By mile 14 I was so exhausted I couldn't think straight and could barely push the pedals. I found a spot to pull off the road and sat down in the grass for about 20 minutes staring into space before hauling myself back on the bike and just barely wobbling home.

    Over this last weekend, less than a year later, I did more than 150 miles. I am still fat but I am certainly far more fit. It's possible to get back into it again.
    Last edited by Kneez; 04-26-10 at 10:47 AM.

  17. #17
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,532
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneez View Post
    Over this last weekend, less than a year later, I did more than 150 miles. I am still fat but I am certainly far more fit. It's possible to get back into it again.
    The difference between 'fat' and 'fit' is sometimes only a vowel I missed my commute today because of an emergency scheduling issue at work and feel as if I will pay for it later this week/whenever I get back on the bike. Keep at it, it gets better.

  18. #18
    Senior Member digibud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Further North than U
    My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Posts
    1,542
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    keep at it

    a year ago I weighed 278 lbs. I got my bike out after years of inactivity. I made it a mile or so before my butt hurt so much I turned around. Not much fun. Over the summer I increased how far I could ride. Slowly. Two torn shoulders didn't help but I am now 35lb lighter and two days ago I did 28 miles. I know full well 28 miles is nothing to a serious rider but at 240+ on a mountain bike it's a small triumph. As summer 2010 begins I am much lighter and expect to continue my gain in miles and loss in weight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •