Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Anyone here have a bad hip ?? (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/639165-anyone-here-have-bad-hip.html)

ArmedMainer 04-22-10 07:50 PM

Anyone here have a bad hip ??
 
My left hip is bone to bone and my chiropractor told me a bike was the best way to get back into shape that was low impact. Anyone else here trying to work off some weight because of a suggestion from a doctor or chiropractor ? I went on my maiden voyage yesterday and was aching pretty bad this morning. I'll be going out again tomorrow afternoon.:thumb:

Kneez 04-22-10 09:35 PM

Was your hip aching or were you just aching in general?

ArmedMainer 04-23-10 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kneez (Post 10711231)
Was your hip aching or were you just aching in general?

The muscles that support my left hip were aching. It's going to take quite a while to build them up to where they used to be. I've already been told I'll be needing a hip replacement in the near future so I want to stick with the bike riding to get my weight down.

DieselDan 04-23-10 06:04 AM

I only have chronic hip pain above 280 pounds. I'm down to 265 and pain free.

ArmedMainer 04-23-10 06:07 AM

Wish mine was weight related. I saw my X-ray and the lining within my hip is gone. My mother had the same problem.

Seattle Forrest 04-23-10 10:29 AM

I'm starting to get some hip soreness, ironically, after taking a fall in the rain and landing on my (left) hip on the concrete. Don't do that.

Take this with a very large grain of salt, because I'm far from an expert, but I think lowering the seat generally takes stress off your hips and onto your knees, and raising it will ease your knees, but at the expense of your hips.

CliftonGK1 04-23-10 10:48 AM

I have 3 pins and a plate holding the front of my left hip together. It's not at a doctor's suggestion that I'm losing weight; I'm trying to get back to my race weight for a 600km event this fall. I've got about 20 - 25 more pounds to go.

briedel 04-23-10 01:11 PM

I have a bad knee, but it is basically the same thing. there will be soreness in teh beginning because the muscles just have to get used to the being used in that way. I would alos recommend swimming if you feel up for it

MNRon 04-23-10 01:17 PM

I have a VERY bad knee, and a hip that is hurting a lot. I find that when I put my pedal spacers in (20mm each side?) that I have fewer problems. The interesting part of that is with the spacers, the Q size is the same as on my mtn. bike. Worth a try....

Edit: This what I have. http://www.kneesaver.net/

bamacrazy 04-23-10 03:08 PM

Biking will help! Remember to increase your mileage slowly and don't push yourself too hard too soon. Stretches and excercises will help too. One is to lay on your back with your knees bent and the soles of your feet resting on the ground. Raise both knees toward your chest and with your knees bent slowly spread your legs. When you begin to feel resistance bring your knees back togather and lower back to your starting position. Start with 10 reps and work up to 3 sets of 15.

Daspydyr 04-23-10 03:53 PM

I had both hips replaced in 2008. I thank God for good medicine and a good health plan.

I could ride the bike pain free. But there came a day when I couldn't get on the bike. If you are bone on bone, loose the weight, there is a minimally evasive surgery with quicker healing for lighter people. Bone on bone, its just a matter of time before surgery.

b1ker 04-23-10 03:59 PM

I got clipped by a pickup truck 2 years ago (AND THE GUY DIDNT STOP!!) - but my right hip has always hurt since then.
I find @ the gym to use the hip adductor and hip abductor machines to build up the muscles - it doesnt hurt as much.

ArmedMainer 04-23-10 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 10712990)
I'm starting to get some hip soreness, ironically, after taking a fall in the rain and landing on my (left) hip on the concrete. Don't do that.

Take this with a very large grain of salt, because I'm far from an expert, but I think lowering the seat generally takes stress off your hips and onto your knees, and raising it will ease your knees, but at the expense of your hips.

I'll give this a try. Thanks for the advice !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daspydyr (Post 10714419)
I could ride the bike pain free. But there came a day when I couldn't get on the bike. If you are bone on bone, loose the weight, there is a minimally evasive surgery with quicker healing for lighter people. Bone on bone, its just a matter of time before surgery.

I have a hard time getting on my hybrid too. Yes, I was told surgery would happen by the end of this year.

Bionicycle 04-26-10 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmedMainer (Post 10710777)
My left hip is bone to bone and my chiropractor told me a bike was the best way to get back into shape that was low impact. Anyone else here trying to work off some weight because of a suggestion from a doctor or chiropractor ? I went on my maiden voyage yesterday and was aching pretty bad this morning. I'll be going out again tomorrow afternoon.:thumb:

My main advice was going to be to see an orthopedic surgeon, and find out what he/she recommended; but it sounds like you already have a doctor involved. I had my left hip replaced in March of 2006, and my Doctor suggested bike riding as a way to get some strength back into the muscles in my leg. My hip had been bone on bone for about three years, and had completely fused together. I had given up cycling about a year before my surgery due to lack of flexibility... I guess my doctor had to literally break it apart and chisel into my pelvic bone, and then do a bone graph. Needless to say, he was not happy that I waited as long as I did to get it done.

So, my point of this post is… if you know, and your doctor knows that your hip is bone on bone, all the exercise in the world isn’t going to help the joint itself. Granted it will help the muscles when it comes recovery time, but you will still have major recovery to do with them anyway. So don’t put off the surgery any longer than you absolutely have to. Sometimes it complicates things worse to ride it out as long as you can. Just my two cents worth having been there and done that. I wish you all the best luck with your surgery and recovery.

ArmedMainer 04-28-10 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bionicycle (Post 10728128)
My main advice was going to be to see an orthopedic surgeon, and find out what he/she recommended; but it sounds like you already have a doctor involved. I had my left hip replaced in March of 2006, and my Doctor suggested bike riding as a way to get some strength back into the muscles in my leg. My hip had been bone on bone for about three years, and had completely fused together. I had given up cycling about a year before my surgery due to lack of flexibility... I guess my doctor had to literally break it apart and chisel into my pelvic bone, and then do a bone graph. Needless to say, he was not happy that I waited as long as I did to get it done.

So, my point of this post is… if you know, and your doctor knows that your hip is bone on bone, all the exercise in the world isn’t going to help the joint itself. Granted it will help the muscles when it comes recovery time, but you will still have major recovery to do with them anyway. So don’t put off the surgery any longer than you absolutely have to. Sometimes it complicates things worse to ride it out as long as you can. Just my two cents worth having been there and done that. I wish you all the best luck with your surgery and recovery.

Unfortunately I've been out of work for a while and will be going back pretty soon. I'll have to wait until the end of the year when I get laid off again for the surgery. I'm hoping to lose weight and tone up my muscles so my recovery won't be too long after my hospital stay. I never in a million years would have expected to need surgery at 51 years old. Guess I'm fortunate enough to be alive to worry about it. BTW, your cat looks like our "Tux".


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:43 PM.