Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anyone here have a bad hip ??

    My left hip is bone to bone and my chiropractor told me a bike was the best way to get back into shape that was low impact. Anyone else here trying to work off some weight because of a suggestion from a doctor or chiropractor ? I went on my maiden voyage yesterday and was aching pretty bad this morning. I'll be going out again tomorrow afternoon.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    690
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was your hip aching or were you just aching in general?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneez View Post
    Was your hip aching or were you just aching in general?
    The muscles that support my left hip were aching. It's going to take quite a while to build them up to where they used to be. I've already been told I'll be needing a hip replacement in the near future so I want to stick with the bike riding to get my weight down.

  4. #4
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have chronic hip pain above 280 pounds. I'm down to 265 and pain free.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish mine was weight related. I saw my X-ray and the lining within my hip is gone. My mother had the same problem.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Seattle Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    11,069
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm starting to get some hip soreness, ironically, after taking a fall in the rain and landing on my (left) hip on the concrete. Don't do that.

    Take this with a very large grain of salt, because I'm far from an expert, but I think lowering the seat generally takes stress off your hips and onto your knees, and raising it will ease your knees, but at the expense of your hips.

  7. #7
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,343
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 pins and a plate holding the front of my left hip together. It's not at a doctor's suggestion that I'm losing weight; I'm trying to get back to my race weight for a 600km event this fall. I've got about 20 - 25 more pounds to go.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bad knee, but it is basically the same thing. there will be soreness in teh beginning because the muscles just have to get used to the being used in that way. I would alos recommend swimming if you feel up for it

  9. #9
    29er Rider MNRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher ARC Pro, Cannondale Caffein 29er Lefty hardtail, building a Kona Major One, Custom steel frame from early 80's with Campy Nuovo Record
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a VERY bad knee, and a hip that is hurting a lot. I find that when I put my pedal spacers in (20mm each side?) that I have fewer problems. The interesting part of that is with the spacers, the Q size is the same as on my mtn. bike. Worth a try....

    Edit: This what I have. http://www.kneesaver.net/
    Last edited by MNRon; 04-23-10 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added source.
    Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive anyway.

  10. #10
    Senior Member bamacrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    My Bikes
    05 Specialized Hardrock Pro, 87 Bianchi Axis
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biking will help! Remember to increase your mileage slowly and don't push yourself too hard too soon. Stretches and excercises will help too. One is to lay on your back with your knees bent and the soles of your feet resting on the ground. Raise both knees toward your chest and with your knees bent slowly spread your legs. When you begin to feel resistance bring your knees back togather and lower back to your starting position. Start with 10 reps and work up to 3 sets of 15.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #11
    Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Posts
    5,210
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had both hips replaced in 2008. I thank God for good medicine and a good health plan.

    I could ride the bike pain free. But there came a day when I couldn't get on the bike. If you are bone on bone, loose the weight, there is a minimally evasive surgery with quicker healing for lighter people. Bone on bone, its just a matter of time before surgery.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

    I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

  12. #12
    Senior Member b1ker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Methuen, MA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3 / Specialized Roubaix UI2 / Sette Hardtail Mtn Bike
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got clipped by a pickup truck 2 years ago (AND THE GUY DIDNT STOP!!) - but my right hip has always hurt since then.
    I find @ the gym to use the hip adductor and hip abductor machines to build up the muscles - it doesnt hurt as much.
    [I]"Le colline continuerą fino a quando morale č migliorata"
    (The hills will continue until morale has improved)

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
    I'm starting to get some hip soreness, ironically, after taking a fall in the rain and landing on my (left) hip on the concrete. Don't do that.

    Take this with a very large grain of salt, because I'm far from an expert, but I think lowering the seat generally takes stress off your hips and onto your knees, and raising it will ease your knees, but at the expense of your hips.
    I'll give this a try. Thanks for the advice !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    I could ride the bike pain free. But there came a day when I couldn't get on the bike. If you are bone on bone, loose the weight, there is a minimally evasive surgery with quicker healing for lighter people. Bone on bone, its just a matter of time before surgery.
    I have a hard time getting on my hybrid too. Yes, I was told surgery would happen by the end of this year.

  14. #14
    No I'm Not a Pirate! Bionicycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The middle of somewhere in Indiana
    Posts
    696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedMainer View Post
    My left hip is bone to bone and my chiropractor told me a bike was the best way to get back into shape that was low impact. Anyone else here trying to work off some weight because of a suggestion from a doctor or chiropractor ? I went on my maiden voyage yesterday and was aching pretty bad this morning. I'll be going out again tomorrow afternoon.
    My main advice was going to be to see an orthopedic surgeon, and find out what he/she recommended; but it sounds like you already have a doctor involved. I had my left hip replaced in March of 2006, and my Doctor suggested bike riding as a way to get some strength back into the muscles in my leg. My hip had been bone on bone for about three years, and had completely fused together. I had given up cycling about a year before my surgery due to lack of flexibility... I guess my doctor had to literally break it apart and chisel into my pelvic bone, and then do a bone graph. Needless to say, he was not happy that I waited as long as I did to get it done.

    So, my point of this post is… if you know, and your doctor knows that your hip is bone on bone, all the exercise in the world isn’t going to help the joint itself. Granted it will help the muscles when it comes recovery time, but you will still have major recovery to do with them anyway. So don’t put off the surgery any longer than you absolutely have to. Sometimes it complicates things worse to ride it out as long as you can. Just my two cents worth having been there and done that. I wish you all the best luck with your surgery and recovery.
    A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicycle View Post
    My main advice was going to be to see an orthopedic surgeon, and find out what he/she recommended; but it sounds like you already have a doctor involved. I had my left hip replaced in March of 2006, and my Doctor suggested bike riding as a way to get some strength back into the muscles in my leg. My hip had been bone on bone for about three years, and had completely fused together. I had given up cycling about a year before my surgery due to lack of flexibility... I guess my doctor had to literally break it apart and chisel into my pelvic bone, and then do a bone graph. Needless to say, he was not happy that I waited as long as I did to get it done.

    So, my point of this post is… if you know, and your doctor knows that your hip is bone on bone, all the exercise in the world isn’t going to help the joint itself. Granted it will help the muscles when it comes recovery time, but you will still have major recovery to do with them anyway. So don’t put off the surgery any longer than you absolutely have to. Sometimes it complicates things worse to ride it out as long as you can. Just my two cents worth having been there and done that. I wish you all the best luck with your surgery and recovery.
    Unfortunately I've been out of work for a while and will be going back pretty soon. I'll have to wait until the end of the year when I get laid off again for the surgery. I'm hoping to lose weight and tone up my muscles so my recovery won't be too long after my hospital stay. I never in a million years would have expected to need surgery at 51 years old. Guess I'm fortunate enough to be alive to worry about it. BTW, your cat looks like our "Tux".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •