Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-10, 04:27 PM   #1
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!
Thread Starter
 
Missbumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boca Raton
Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite
Posts: 1,397
Miss Bee Trys Again Ride 1

OK - So I have been traveling a it - and basically slacking off. Also lost my bike computer - found it last week- and am ready to try and improve my riding again - and my eating.

So today I rode on the Silver Comet - our local rail to trails - and rode with a bike group here. I tired to keep up with the lead gorup and drafted for about 9 miles... but for the rest I was on my own...under my own stea,. Ended up riding 50 miles at 15.8 average. For me that is pretty awesome. So I thought I would post here and maybe this would serve to help me push myself again.


Last week I went to Spinning Tues, Thursday and Sat so I think that helpe my ride today.

Next week: Will do Combat Class tomorrow evening (hiyah!) Spinning Tues & Wed...then ride next weekend. Hopefully will get in better shape. Also need to get food more under control.

Thanks guys - Just checking in and hopefully will come back with some more good riding!!
Missbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 04:48 PM   #2
SpoonyGSR
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 42
Awesome.. keep at it.. my gf does body combat class.. I want to go with her.. she says its great.
SpoonyGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 06:35 PM   #3
rideorglide
Senior Member
 
rideorglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island
Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missbumble View Post
So today I rode on the Silver Comet - our local rail to trails - and rode with a bike group here. I tired to keep up with the lead gorup and drafted for about 9 miles... but for the rest I was on my own...under my own stea,. Ended up riding 50 miles at 15.8 average.
That would be bloomin' awesome for me. So power to you!

Made the mistake of assuming for some reason today would be a nice riding day and woke up aching, sore throat, cold and rainy. My next ride will definitely be a "try again ride." (Not wanting to lose arse-conditioning.)

Last edited by rideorglide; 04-25-10 at 06:36 PM. Reason: addition
rideorglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 08:08 AM   #4
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown
 
bautieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Camp Hill, Pennsyltucky
Bikes: 14 Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro 2000 Kona Lana'I
Posts: 2,102
Good miles and pace Bee, I'd say you did just fine
bautieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 09:49 AM   #5
Kneez
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 691
Well done. I think I would hard pressed to maintain that pace.
Kneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 09:51 AM   #6
andrelam
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Buffalo NY
Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,035
Welcome back to more riding. Last week I participated in my 1st weekly club ride in my neighborhood (missed the season opener the preceeding week due to a flu bug). I ride pretty much every day to work so I get plenty of activity. I rode to work, went home for a short break. I Made sure before leaving work to have a proper food snack so that I would not bonk. I then rode the 2 miles to the start of the ride. I rode with my usual group of riders. We are the "reasonably fast group." There is no way I can hang with the racer wannebees, but this group keeps up a pretty mean speed. It was windy, but the terrain was flat. I was out front for a about 1/4 of the ride in the early streach, but we had the wind at our back, so it was easy to lead. Later we had to ride into the wind, and also perpendicular. By the end of the 20 mile ride my posterior was sore. I actually had a hard time lifting my leg to get off the bike. Its amazing how riding on a commuter bike vs. a road bike can put a different load on your muscles! We managed to average 18.5 MPH, but that was only because we were riding together. Heading into the wind some riders were barely lasting more than a minute or two at the front. Alone I would have been MUCH slower. Thankfully I didn't feel it too much the next day. I am looking forward to this week's ride and see how my body starts adjusting to road riding again. I definitely need to get my "long distance" and fast riding legs back.

Happy riding,
André
andrelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 03:57 PM   #7
breadbin
Senior Member
 
breadbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West of Ireland
Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax
Posts: 648
well done mss bee and keep it up now you got the buzz again i think its great to post here and does wonders for your motivation
breadbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 04:54 PM   #8
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!
Thread Starter
 
Missbumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boca Raton
Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelam View Post
Welcome back to more riding. Last week I participated in my 1st weekly club ride in my neighborhood (missed the season opener the preceeding week due to a flu bug). I ride pretty much every day to work so I get plenty of activity. I rode to work, went home for a short break. I Made sure before leaving work to have a proper food snack so that I would not bonk. I then rode the 2 miles to the start of the ride. I rode with my usual group of riders. We are the "reasonably fast group." There is no way I can hang with the racer wannebees, but this group keeps up a pretty mean speed. It was windy, but the terrain was flat. I was out front for a about 1/4 of the ride in the early streach, but we had the wind at our back, so it was easy to lead. Later we had to ride into the wind, and also perpendicular. By the end of the 20 mile ride my posterior was sore. I actually had a hard time lifting my leg to get off the bike. Its amazing how riding on a commuter bike vs. a road bike can put a different load on your muscles! We managed to average 18.5 MPH, but that was only because we were riding together. Heading into the wind some riders were barely lasting more than a minute or two at the front. Alone I would have been MUCH slower. Thankfully I didn't feel it too much the next day. I am looking forward to this week's ride and see how my body starts adjusting to road riding again. I definitely need to get my "long distance" and fast riding legs back.

Happy riding,
André
Sounds like a great ride!! 18.5 AVG whooowheeee
Missbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 04:56 PM   #9
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!
Thread Starter
 
Missbumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boca Raton
Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite
Posts: 1,397
Thanks everyone -yes posting here really helps! Seems I get more involved (relationship etc and post less) well I am back to just me - and trying to improve a ton. Wonder why the more I am in a relationship the less I focus on this forum ....


Anyway - his loss is your gain - well unless you can't stand it when Miss B posts....oh well I am the Bee...
Missbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 08:30 PM   #10
cyclist2000
Senior Member
 
cyclist2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Up
Bikes: Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, 84 Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1), looking for a Ti frame
Posts: 3,021
Great ride.
cyclist2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 08:34 PM   #11
deep_sky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp
Posts: 1,258
My significant other does not mind the time I spend on my hobby. God willing, this will be something I am doing for the rest of my life, and is healthy to boot. It's what I am passionate about, and he respects and is happy about that. I spend as much time here, or as much time dinking around on my bike, or going on rides as I like, because it keeps me happy and is helping me to become healthier.
deep_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 07:57 AM   #12
Crazy88s
Senior Member
 
Crazy88s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 148
What an awesome pace! When I did my 60 miler on the Silver Comet, I only averaged around 14mph. You kicked some ass!

Fortunately, my wife just got her first real road bike and she is really passionate about riding so it's nice to have a hobby we both can do together. We even bought matching mountain bikes.

We're taking a big group up to Lake Lanier this Sunday to practice on the course for the Irongirl. Are you doing that?
Crazy88s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 11:55 AM   #13
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!
Thread Starter
 
Missbumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boca Raton
Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite
Posts: 1,397
OOOH lemme know details for Irongirl - how far etc... Sounds like a blast! I was going to try and do a half ironman but decided this winter in the midst of an 8 mile run that I HATE running...maybe 13 miles in the summer after the swim and bike would have been a bit much!!
Missbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 12:10 PM   #14
Crazy88s
Senior Member
 
Crazy88s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 148
Well it's a 1/3 of a mile swim, 18 mile bike ride and a 5k. You have 30 minutes to complete the swim, 2 hours to complete the ride and 1 hour to complete the 5k. Registration is already closed

We've been told there are some nice hills on the bike ride, so my wife along with 4 other ladies want to try it out this Sunday. You're more than welcome to join us. I can give you the details if interested.
Crazy88s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 05:49 PM   #15
Missbumble 
I'm a Cyclist!
Thread Starter
 
Missbumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Boca Raton
Bikes: Specialized Dolce Elite
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy88s View Post
Well it's a 1/3 of a mile swim, 18 mile bike ride and a 5k. You have 30 minutes to complete the swim, 2 hours to complete the ride and 1 hour to complete the 5k. Registration is already closed

We've been told there are some nice hills on the bike ride, so my wife along with 4 other ladies want to try it out this Sunday. You're more than welcome to join us. I can give you the details if interested.
Thank you for the invite - This Sunday i am riding in the Sandy Springs Challenge - I did it last year - and it was very hard - but worth it. Y'all are welcome to join me- I will be attempting the Metric-they have a great food tent afterwards and a great seat for the Criterium races as well.

http://sandyspringschallenge.org/
Missbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17 AM.