Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Trails all to myself! (PICS)

    I couldn't ask for a better Friday evening. Nothing difficult, but did many different loops.Man the open trails were great. I guess the wind scared people away today.










  2. #2
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)







  3. #3
    Giant XTC SE
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bucheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Giant XTC SE
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, nice place
    I love finding these kind of trails.

  4. #4
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures! Nothin glike that around here.!

    OK, so I have to ask. Your pics are what they call singletrack? I read so many posts stating fireroads are boring, too easy etc. Then I've had single track riders tell me that if I don't crash often, I aint riding hard enough. But I see pics of the singletrack and it's not as steep as the fireroads ride. SO coming down, if I were to crash once a week or twice on one ride like some claim, I'd be dead by now.

    I hi the deck about 5 years ago at 25 mph destroyed the helmet, then the other day I hit the deck at about 20 and separate my shoulder.

    If you watched my video, you can hear my ride partner shout "42 baby" as he rides by. That was is max speed on that section of the trail which was by far not the steepest that day. I myself have hit 36 on my hardtail but that was too fast for me! So like I said, if I hit the ground 2 times every ride like others claim at these speeds, I wouldn't live long!

    So what makes my fireroad rides and 26% grades sissy'ish (as claimed by others) compared to singletrack?

    So what kind of speeds do you hit on the descents in the pictures?

    FTR, not picking on you Funrover or directing this towards you solely, just wondering about some of the claims made by others in other forums.

  5. #5
    Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Posts
    5,201
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta quit looking at these pictures. Nothing like for 200 miles from my house. Man I'm jealous.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

    I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

  6. #6
    Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Posts
    5,201
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Nice pictures! Nothin glike that around here.!

    OK, so I have to ask. Your pics are what they call singletrack? I read so many posts stating fireroads are boring, too easy etc. Then I've had single track riders tell me that if I don't crash often, I aint riding hard enough. But I see pics of the singletrack and it's not as steep as the fireroads ride. SO coming down, if I were to crash once a week or twice on one ride like some claim, I'd be dead by now.

    I hi the deck about 5 years ago at 25 mph destroyed the helmet, then the other day I hit the deck at about 20 and separate my shoulder.

    If you watched my video, you can hear my ride partner shout "42 baby" as he rides by. That was is max speed on that section of the trail which was by far not the steepest that day. I myself have hit 36 on my hardtail but that was too fast for me! So like I said, if I hit the ground 2 times every ride like others claim at these speeds, I wouldn't live long!

    So what makes my fireroad rides and 26% grades sissy'ish (as claimed by others) compared to singletrack?

    So what kind of speeds do you hit on the descents in the pictures?

    FTR, not picking on you Funrover or directing this towards you solely, just wondering about some of the claims made by others in other forums.
    I ride power line roads about 80% here in S. NV. I bet they are like your fire roads. There are two climbs that I have named Lung Buster and Not My Friend. I have never made the climb in one try or without walking part of it. My goal is to conquer them by the end of summer. No shame in riding double tracks.

    There is shear stupidity in riding to wreck. Helmets are great and our ability to heal is as well. But every time I tumble I consider myself stupid.

    Heal that shoulder Mr. B, the roads and trail miss you.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

    I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    My Bikes
    CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er
    Posts
    1,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Beanz. The pictures that Funrover posted are not indicative of most singletrack around here in Colorado. No offense, funrover, I'd LOVE to know where that is as that looks like the kind of ride I'd enjoy! But most singletrack trails here are pretty tough technically, but it's stuff that I know funrover has done before, he's definitely got skills :-)

    I started mountain biking recently, I've got some friends that are into it. The first few "beginner" rides they took me on I crashed multiple times and even taco'ed a wheel. Yes, singletrack can be hard! But if you're hitting grades in the 20% range I doubt it's steeper, just more difficult technically.

    I've decided that's not for me. The mountain biking crowd seems to get their adrenaline rush from doing things that are dangerous. They always talk about and enjoy the downhills. The uphills are a chore that sometimes has to be done in order to get to the downhills (unless you take a ski lift). That does not describe me at all. Plus, and maybe more importantly, being a roadie I suck at any bike handling skills that involve getting my wheels off the ground (eg. I can't bunny hop).

  8. #8
    Senior Member Hill-Pumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
    My Bikes
    2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1,2013 Lynskey R330, 2008 Kona Jake
    Posts
    775
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funover, great pics!! I always love to find a trail that no one else is on. Looks like a great ride.

  9. #9
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttibby View Post
    Wow, nice place
    I love finding these kind of trails.
    Heck yeah!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Nice pictures! Nothin glike that around here.!

    OK, so I have to ask. Your pics are what they call singletrack? I read so many posts stating fireroads are boring, too easy etc. Then I've had single track riders tell me that if I don't crash often, I aint riding hard enough. But I see pics of the singletrack and it's not as steep as the fireroads ride. SO coming down, if I were to crash once a week or twice on one ride like some claim, I'd be dead by now.

    I hi the deck about 5 years ago at 25 mph destroyed the helmet, then the other day I hit the deck at about 20 and separate my shoulder.

    If you watched my video, you can hear my ride partner shout "42 baby" as he rides by. That was is max speed on that section of the trail which was by far not the steepest that day. I myself have hit 36 on my hardtail but that was too fast for me! So like I said, if I hit the ground 2 times every ride like others claim at these speeds, I wouldn't live long!

    So what makes my fireroad rides and 26% grades sissy'ish (as claimed by others) compared to singletrack?

    So what kind of speeds do you hit on the descents in the pictures?

    FTR, not picking on you Funrover or directing this towards you solely, just wondering about some of the claims made by others in other forums.
    Singletrack is just that.. SINGLE TRACK!! Often out here fire roads are boring, but they are just access to more fun trails. This trail is a great starting singletrack. Personally I have hit 62 mph on singletrack here in CO and it was a blast,however normally I would say I am in the 15- 25 range. Most of the really technical single I do is slower up hill. I can post up pics of more singletrack that is more technical if you would like

    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    I gotta quit looking at these pictures. Nothing like for 200 miles from my house. Man I'm jealous.
    LOL I find myself doing that a lot also. Looking at pics from others is often what gets me out when I am not motivated

    Quote Originally Posted by cooleric1234 View Post
    Mr. Beanz. The pictures that Funrover posted are not indicative of most singletrack around here in Colorado. No offense, funrover, I'd LOVE to know where that is as that looks like the kind of ride I'd enjoy! But most singletrack trails here are pretty tough technically, but it's stuff that I know funrover has done before, he's definitely got skills :-)

    I started mountain biking recently, I've got some friends that are into it. The first few "beginner" rides they took me on I crashed multiple times and even taco'ed a wheel. Yes, singletrack can be hard! But if you're hitting grades in the 20% range I doubt it's steeper, just more difficult technically.

    I've decided that's not for me. The mountain biking crowd seems to get their adrenaline rush from doing things that are dangerous. They always talk about and enjoy the downhills. The uphills are a chore that sometimes has to be done in order to get to the downhills (unless you take a ski lift). That does not describe me at all. Plus, and maybe more importantly, being a roadie I suck at any bike handling skills that involve getting my wheels off the ground (eg. I can't bunny hop).
    No offense taken, I ride because I enjoy it! That was Memmen Ridge in Castle Rock. It would be a good place to go for a beginner. There are some tight corners that will help your skills but no real technical. If you want fun easier trails try Quarry Mesa, Memmen Rifge, Hidden Mesa and Waterton Canyon.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY state
    My Bikes
    See Signature...
    Posts
    1,200
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That trail looks smoother than some of the roads I ride on...haha ok thats a stretch, but not by much!

    I am jealous, I dont really have any real off-road riding around me I miss the technical single track we had at college. Rocks, roots, trees just far enough apart that narrow handlebars fit through with an inch or two on each side...Those were the days!

    Looks like you had fun...If I lived there I woulda been right out there with ya!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    My Bikes
    CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er
    Posts
    1,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by funrover View Post
    No offense taken, I ride because I enjoy it! That was Memmen Ridge in Castle Rock. It would be a good place to go for a beginner. There are some tight corners that will help your skills but no real technical. If you want fun easier trails try Quarry Mesa, Memmen Rifge, Hidden Mesa and Waterton Canyon.
    Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! We did Green Mountain a few weeks ago, that wasn't too technical. I did get my breaks real hot going down though, I feel very uneasy going fast downhill on mountain biking terrain. It had a killer short, but steep climb that we walked for a while. Didn't help that I went 1x9 but I found myself so focused on the technical stuff that I would forget to shift the front derailleur and get "stuck" in the high or low chainring.

    I did Waterton Canyon but then went on the Roxborough loop, which is where I taco'ed my wheel. We did Hidden Mesa too and I crashed there in the rock garden, but it was kind of a fluke, I would hope not to if I did it again.

  12. #12
    Bike or Car? Yaarrrr... TedRules's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    My Bikes
    2010 Sepcialized Hard Rock Sport 29er.
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by funrover View Post
    Personally I have hit 62 mph on singletrack here in CO.

    What??!! Do you mean KPH?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  13. #13
    Senior Member jboyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    My Bikes
    Giant "Rainier"
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around here we have mostly double track fire roads and a few legal single track sections of the Shawnee National forest. I also make a couple of pilgrimages each year to TSALI, a single track mecca on the South side of the Smokey Mountains in North Carolina.

    I have said it before, if all I had to ride was pavement, I would not ride. Now, given a choice between Single or Double, I will choose single track every time. I ride more double, but only because the inventory of single is so slim around here.

    Just like whitewater, the scale of trails is different in various parts of the country. I can only imagine what Fred has in the mountains of CA. His fire roads would probably scare the hell out of me. And Funrover would probably laugh at what I have for Single track to ride.

    Where I think it is hard to compare single to double is when single gets technical. At that point, the speed that Fred goes up or down a fire road can't be compared to the 5mph that Funrover might be doing downhill as his back tire slides down a snow covered trail, or he has to do a track stand to prepare to drop off a rock to continue the trail a few feet below. Both Fred and Funrover need skills, just different ones.
    http://www.homeairdirect.com Hey! It's What I Do

  14. #14
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TedRules View Post
    What??!! Do you mean KPH?
    Nope I meant MPH.. Only once....Never again

  15. #15
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd View Post
    Around here we have mostly double track fire roads and a few legal single track sections of the Shawnee National forest. I also make a couple of pilgrimages each year to TSALI, a single track mecca on the South side of the Smokey Mountains in North Carolina.

    I have said it before, if all I had to ride was pavement, I would not ride. Now, given a choice between Single or Double, I will choose single track every time. I ride more double, but only because the inventory of single is so slim around here.

    Just like whitewater, the scale of trails is different in various parts of the country. I can only imagine what Fred has in the mountains of CA. His fire roads would probably scare the hell out of me. And Funrover would probably laugh at what I have for Single track to ride.

    Where I think it is hard to compare single to double is when single gets technical. At that point, the speed that Fred goes up or down a fire road can't be compared to the 5mph that Funrover might be doing downhill as his back tire slides down a snow covered trail, or he has to do a track stand to prepare to drop off a rock to continue the trail a few feet below. Both Fred and Funrover need skills, just different ones.

    Well put!! I wouldn't laugh... I would be riding it with you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •