Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-10, 08:23 PM   #1
Hill-Pumper
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Hill-Pumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is there a point where weight loss is more about vanity then heath?

As the title states, is there a point at which losing weight become more about a persons vanity then a medical/ health reason. I ask because this is sort of where I am. I am about five pounds away from my ultimate goal weight. The question is, do I really need to lose the weight, or do I just want to because I have a little more gut then I want to. I guess at 45 there is a point that I just need to accept that I am going to have a gut, but I have worked too hard to give up at this point. I know that as we get older, you need a higher percentage of body fat,.So I suppose I could feel better knowing that my gut may be more of a necessity, but darn it, it does not mean I have to like it. Anyway, I thought I would throw it out for discussion to get your thought.
Hill-Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 08:36 PM   #2
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
As the title states, is there a point at which losing weight become more about a persons vanity then a medical/ health reason. I ask because this is sort of where I am. I am about five pounds away from my ultimate goal weight. The question is, do I really need to lose the weight, or do I just want to because I have a little more gut then I want to. I guess at 45 there is a point that I just need to accept that I am going to have a gut, but I have worked too hard to give up at this point. I know that as we get older, you need a higher percentage of body fat,.So I suppose I could feel better knowing that my gut may be more of a necessity, but darn it, it does not mean I have to like it. Anyway, I thought I would throw it out for discussion to get your thought.
I should have such problems! :-(
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 08:38 PM   #3
cooleric1234
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Aurora, CO
Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er
Posts: 1,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is definitely a point at which weight loss is more vanity than health. I wish I remembered the number, but I remember reading a study that at X % body fat you gain no more health advantage by lowering that number. I'm in the same boat as you, I've got a healthy body fat percentage of 12-14% but I'd like to get to single digits and get rid of the last of the belly. Seeing a six pack would be nice, but MAN IS IT HARD! Losing the last 10 is way harder than losing the 40 pounds before that.
cooleric1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 08:55 PM   #4
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, Indiana
Bikes: Volae Team, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, DONATED: '60's Schwinn Typhoon 2-speed kickback, DONATED: Specialized Hardrock, Sun Flat-top unicycle, Santana Arriva road tandem
Posts: 1,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know that voice in your head that says "go ahead and eat that donut"? That's the same voice that's telling you "I just need to accept that I am going to have a gut".

Step away from the donut.
downtube42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 08:59 PM   #5
jboyd
Senior Member
 
jboyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern Illinois
Bikes: Giant "Rainier"
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
I should have such problems! :-(
Yeah.......my heart is bleedin for ya :-)))

Seriously though, congrats on your fortitude. Now go out and have a big fried chicken dinner and beer and get back into the game :-)
jboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 09:01 PM   #6
wild animals
Real Human Being
 
wild animals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottery St. Catchpole
Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah. You can carry around a few extra pounds and be healthier than someone who is thinner or even has less body fat. I guess it's about how much pain you're willing to go through to lose 5 pounds. What are you willing to trade for it? It might not be worth it. If I had to choose between weighing 5 pounds too much and drinking coffee every morning, I'd take the coffee
wild animals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 09:03 PM   #7
CPFITNESS
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC
Bikes: Giant Rapid 3
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes there is but quantifying it isn't always easy
CPFITNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 09:13 PM   #8
Absenth
Senior Member
 
Absenth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fishers, In
Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Blue Velvet
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that's the point you're supposed to start strength training right? Add "appropriate" weight?

I know in Wrestling if you're under 7% body fat they won't allow you to change weight class at the highschool level. Or at least that was the case when I was in quite a while ago.
I would imagine once you get to that %10 - 15% mark you're in a good place to maintain, rather than keep pushing for weight loss.
Absenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 09:18 PM   #9
CPFITNESS
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC
Bikes: Giant Rapid 3
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it could actually be much higher than that to be honest with you. It's not so much the extra bodyfat that is the unhealthy thing, it's the fact that those with excess bodyfat tend to have a host of really bad habits that are causing greater health problems.
CPFITNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 10:31 PM   #10
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vanity? Hmmm! Being an old guy, I'm not really concerned with vanity. My weight loss is training for timed events on big rides through the mountain. So I myself am concerned about fitness level, I guess that's grouped with health. As far as losing the gut, that's just a bonus but not something I aim to do!

6'1 230 lbs, I lose a lot of gut while training in the mtns.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-10, 11:17 PM   #11
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
As the title states, is there a point at which losing weight become more about a persons vanity then a medical/ health reason. I ask because this is sort of where I am. I am about five pounds away from my ultimate goal weight. The question is, do I really need to lose the weight, or do I just want to because I have a little more gut then I want to. I guess at 45 there is a point that I just need to accept that I am going to have a gut, but I have worked too hard to give up at this point. I know that as we get older, you need a higher percentage of body fat,.So I suppose I could feel better knowing that my gut may be more of a necessity, but darn it, it does not mean I have to like it. Anyway, I thought I would throw it out for discussion to get your thought.
It's probably unhealthy to take your body fat percentage down below 5% or 6%. You start to look ripped as you approach 10%. But I don't think it's true to say that as you get older you need more body fat, it's just that you become less able to maintain the same muscle mass, so your body fat percentage tends to creep up.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 12:25 AM   #12
youcoming
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Bikes: Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
Posts: 2,131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes but I have nothing to worry about.
youcoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 04:01 AM   #13
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Posts: 14,010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
losign wight can mess with your head. try not to over think it. stay diligent on your plan. your "gut" can be reduced. stick with your plan and try to build back some lost muscle mass in your large muscle groups. be patient cuz it takes a long time at our age to build muscle and burn fat. if all you've been doing is dieting, then renew your research. see you next year!
rumrunn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 07:31 AM   #14
CPFITNESS
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC
Bikes: Giant Rapid 3
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
Vanity? Hmmm! Being an old guy, I'm not really concerned with vanity. My weight loss is training for timed events on big rides through the mountain. So I myself am concerned about fitness level, I guess that's grouped with health. As far as losing the gut, that's just a bonus but not something I aim to do!

6'1 230 lbs, I lose a lot of gut while training in the mtns.
When did this become a gay porn site? (okay, just to be clear mr. Beanz, this is me making a joke)

if your someone that was significantly overweight at any point intime your pretty much always going to have some trouble spots whether it be due to excess skin from losing weight too quickly or just from the inherent nature of how the body works. 6-7% is about as low as someone would want to be on a day to day basis and that is VERY low. 12% body fat will get many people defined 6 pack abs. As we age we tend to store more bodyfat but a good rule of thumb is for men to be under 20% to avoid most major health risks.

The other thing that makes this not cut and dry is we all know people with fast metabolisms or people who don't eat a large quantity of food but eat poor quality food (McDonalds for example) these people may not need to lose weight, however they can have all sorts of other issues. So ultimately my answer to you is that if you are someone that does regular cardiovascular exercise 20% bodyfat is roughly the point where a man is looking at weight loss being more about vanity and around 26% for women.
CPFITNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 07:37 AM   #15
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFITNESS View Post
When did this become a gay porn site? (okay, just to be clear mr. Beanz, this is me making a joke)
See the "Sexy Clyde" thread for more cheap thrills. :-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 08:57 AM   #16
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When the zombie apocalypse is upon us, the couch potatoes will go down first. Then, I figure the C & A forum members will outlast the 2% body-fat gym rats. When the world's supply of low-carb meal replacement bars is gone, we'll still have some reserves to fuel ourselves on while the super-low-body-fat crowd all bonks and gets eaten by zombies.
I'm not undisciplined in my dietary habits... I'm maintaining this extra weight as a survival technique!
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 09:36 AM   #17
chasm54
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Bikes:
Posts: 8,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
I'm not undisciplined in my dietary habits... I'm maintaining this extra weight as a survival technique!
Actually this is literally true, whether you know it or not. Your metabolism is set up to maintain fat stores against times times of scarcity. It's why it's a lot easier to put it on than take it off.
chasm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 10:15 AM   #18
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFITNESS View Post
When did this become a gay porn site? (okay, just to be clear mr. Beanz, this is me making a joke).
I've never looked at a gay porn site so I wouldn't know if this is similar material. But now that I think about it, now I understand why you seem to be on the sensitive side!...that's a joke too!



Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFITNESS View Post
if your someone that was significantly overweight at any point intime your pretty much always going to have some trouble spots whether it be due to excess skin from losing weight too quickly or just from the inherent nature of how the body works. .
Nope, not my case. Imay get a little out of shape here and ther but never significantly overweight. IF I lose 20 lbs, it's over a span of 6 months while training, cutting ice cream and not concentrating on weightloss but rather fitness level.



Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFITNESS View Post
6-7% is about as low as someone would want to be on a day to day basis and that is VERY low. 12% body fat will get many people defined 6 pack abs. As we age we tend to store more bodyfat but a good rule of thumb is for men to be under 20% to avoid most major health risks..
Funny, when I was 10 lbs less than this picture (more intense training), I was told at a health expo to seek medical attention as I was borderline obese at 30% eventhough I hadn't eaten any butter mayo or any other fat that YEAR! I was borderline 6 pack so the 30%, hard to believe but good for a laugh with MTB'er coworkers measuring at 10% that thought they could beat me on a mtn climb.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFITNESS View Post
The other thing that makes this not cut and dry is we all know people with fast metabolisms or people who don't eat a large quantity of food but eat poor quality food (McDonalds for example) these people may not need to lose weight, however they can have all sorts of other issues. So ultimately my answer to you is that if you are someone that does regular cardiovascular exercise 20% bodyfat is roughly the point where a man is looking at weight loss being more about vanity and around 26% for women.
You'd be surprised at my diet of boiled chicken, cucumbers and salads with rice vinegar rather than any type of dressing. I rarely eat fast food, they make me want to puke. My weakness is icecream caue it's sooo darn good. But a bad diet, not at all!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 12:03 PM   #19
RWBlue01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is FIT and there is your weight. The two should never be confused.

I am out of shape. I was with a girl half my age and half my weight, with curves where there should be curves, the other day. I went zooming up the stairs the other day. (It is only one flight.) I look around expecting to see her right behind me. She wasn't there. She was about half way up the stairs and out of breath. She has a better shape (I am round). But I am in better shape, which is just sad.

My question for those who have made there weight, are you in shape? How about your upper body? (You don't have to answer, it is a rhetorical question.)
RWBlue01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 12:37 PM   #20
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue01 View Post
My question for those who have made there weight, are you in shape? How about your upper body? (You don't have to answer, it is a rhetorical question.)
I haven't hit my goal for bodyfat percentage, but I am defintely in good physical fitness. It's funny to see the look on a doctor's face when they look at RHR and cholesterol levels, and try to match those up with the 230 pound Sasquatch sitting on the exam table. More than once, I've had the doc re-test to check that the screening technician didn't do something wrong.
Nope. The big dude really has a mid-day RHR in the upper 40s, doc.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 08:30 PM   #21
Hill-Pumper
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Hill-Pumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I did some research on the acceptable body fat level for a person my age and found
THIS
website. According to it, I can be between 22 and 11 percent to be in the healthy range, with anything under 11 being considered to low. Also, note that someone younger can go as little as 8 percent before it is considered to low. So, I am having my body fat checked on Friday, and I'll see where I am at that point. I am hoping to get down to 17 percent, which should be right around my goal weight.
Hill-Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 04:52 AM   #22
Jamesw2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston TX area
Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Aggressor, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think any of this will make it to a Two and a Half Men script.
I ride because i like to ride and if riding helps me build some fat burning muscle, Riding helps with the daily stress of not having a job, car and social life.

Any hoo! Drink you protein meal suplements and take your vitamins and ride for fun. When it becomes a quest for something other than riding the purpase is defeated.
Jamesw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 09:09 AM   #23
CPFITNESS
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC
Bikes: Giant Rapid 3
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
I did some research on the acceptable body fat level for a person my age and found
THIS
website. According to it, I can be between 22 and 11 percent to be in the healthy range, with anything under 11 being considered to low. Also, note that someone younger can go as little as 8 percent before it is considered to low. So, I am having my body fat checked on Friday, and I'll see where I am at that point. I am hoping to get down to 17 percent, which should be right around my goal weight.
the biggest issue with bodyfat % measurments is that hydrostatic weighing (weighing in a tank of water) isn't readily available to most and that is the only really accurate way. Skin fold calipers rely on the person taking the measurement so make suer you have the same person do it every time. I prefer the handheld testers just to get a ballpark figure.
CPFITNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 09:58 AM   #24
Beerslinger
Member
 
Beerslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alert Bay, B.C.
Bikes: Kona Blast, Norco CM2
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
I haven't hit my goal for bodyfat percentage, but I am defintely in good physical fitness. It's funny to see the look on a doctor's face when they look at RHR and cholesterol levels, and try to match those up with the 230 pound Sasquatch sitting on the exam table. More than once, I've had the doc re-test to check that the screening technician didn't do something wrong.
Nope. The big dude really has a mid-day RHR in the upper 40s, doc.
I'm right there with you. I had to have a Seafarer's medical for work, and I my RHR is 41. The doctor made me go up and down a step stool in his office for 5 minutes before he belived me that my heart was that good. Might have something to do with endurance biking/running @ 270 lbs. He said I have a better heart than all the "fit" patients he has come in.
Beerslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 11:08 AM   #25
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Posts: 5,352
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Aim for a resting heart rate of @60. When you get there check your belly. The two will go hand in hand.
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 AM.