Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly long haul trucker and steamroller
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    back after a couple of years and man am I out of shape

    I'm back ( to riding and here) after a couple of years. My factory closed I had to move for the new job. Getting the house put back together and stress of new job I just got away from riding. I was up to where I could take off and ride 15-25 miles before. Well we are settled in, but I have been having major back problems. I have been seeing the chriroprator for a couple of months . He is helping ,but I'm not there yet. I was thinking the other day that the bike was what really helped the last time I had this problem . I dug out the four bikes I brought and started cleaning them up. I also picked up a raleigh bike I think is one of the bikes made to compete with store brands back in the ten speed craze. The new place has tough hill to get back to the house I can hit 35mph coasting in my f150 in less than a quarter. I have made the trip up the road to the end 1/4 mile, back down past the house to the next road 3/4 mile and back to the house 1/2 mile .(all most any way) By the time I get back I am out of breath and puffing like a steam engine .. But I feel better and the back doesn't hurt as bad
    So here my plan I'm going to tune the garage sale raleigh throw it in the back of the truck stop at a county park on the way home ride the inner loop for a while then go to the outer loop and work at the hill on my road . The inner loop is just over a mile the outer loop is all most eight I got the raleigh for $5 so if some one takes it out of my truck I'm not out much.
    Goals: get back to stop hurting . get wind back ,enjoy being out .lose a little weight
    Roy
    Every breath I Have ever taken as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep plugging away Roy. Alot of us here are in the same boat as you trying to get back into shape. It's well worth the effort. Best of luck. Greg

  3. #3
    Mystery Meat gitarzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Oh!
    My Bikes
    Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.
    Posts
    1,035
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you got a plan. I love those old Raleighs. That hill will get faster real soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    Is a ukulele player in a mandolin town and banned from all bars by the chief of police unless he leaves his strings and gravy at the front door.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BigPolishJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan
    My Bikes
    Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray
    Posts
    1,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roy, this sounds good, of course you know we're going to need pictures. And I'm going to need pictures of the old Raleigh because I'm into old bikes. If it were me, I'd throw a cheap lock on the Raleigh if you're going to just leave it alone in the truck a lot. It won't stop a more determined theif, but it will stop the lazy theif of opportunity as they won't be able to just grab it out of the truck and ride away while you're in the store getting groceries.

  5. #5
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    12,033
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome back. ignore the speedsters - stay true to yourself. rule #1 do no harm

    happy trails!
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  6. #6
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
    I'm back ( to riding and here) after a couple of years. My factory closed I had to move for the new job. Getting the house put back together and stress of new job I just got away from riding. I was up to where I could take off and ride 15-25 miles before. Well we are settled in, but I have been having major back problems. I have been seeing the chriroprator for a couple of months . He is helping ,but I'm not there yet. I was thinking the other day that the bike was what really helped the last time I had this problem . I dug out the four bikes I brought and started cleaning them up. I also picked up a raleigh bike I think is one of the bikes made to compete with store brands back in the ten speed craze. The new place has tough hill to get back to the house I can hit 35mph coasting in my f150 in less than a quarter. I have made the trip up the road to the end 1/4 mile, back down past the house to the next road 3/4 mile and back to the house 1/2 mile .(all most any way) By the time I get back I am out of breath and puffing like a steam engine .. But I feel better and the back doesn't hurt as bad
    So here my plan I'm going to tune the garage sale raleigh throw it in the back of the truck stop at a county park on the way home ride the inner loop for a while then go to the outer loop and work at the hill on my road . The inner loop is just over a mile the outer loop is all most eight I got the raleigh for $5 so if some one takes it out of my truck I'm not out much.
    Goals: get back to stop hurting . get wind back ,enjoy being out .lose a little weight
    Roy
    Some of those old Raleighs were actually decent bikes, made out of some decent cromo steel, it's just they got left sitting in the rafters of a garage to get all dirty and grimy, and now they look like, well you know. I got one cheaper then yours - free, pulled it all apart, found a 2kg frame+fork under all that dirt, 2kg is about the best your going to get on a 56cm cromo frame+fork with the headset installed. Lots of steel parts on there that make the final bike a little heavy - I think the steel rear wheel is heavier then the frame. Better add a picture though, this one isn't ideal....




    They do clean up nicely though and can be a good solid rider - as clydes, solid is a good thing in describing equipment. I need to pull the wheels apart and replace the really ugly steel rims with some decent alloy ones, not sure if I will get some alloy 27" rims, some alloy 700C rims, or get some other wheels. Currently debating about the rims, the hubs seem to be fine, I can rebuild those with new bearings, then lace some different rims on with new spokes, and the wheels should be just about perfect.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly long haul trucker and steamroller
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    welcome back. ignore the speedsters - stay true to yourself. rule #1 do no harm

    happy trails!

    never had a problem with staying true to myself I march to my own beat (to a fault if you listen to my wife )
    the bike seems decent it is just not one of raleigh's high end bikes I plan on locking it. I have tie downs in the bed
    Pic included model says triumph but it is a 10 speed
    Roy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by plumberroy; 06-13-10 at 08:54 AM. Reason: added info
    Every breath I Have ever taken as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy 2, 2001 Schwinn Sierra GS, 1989 Raliegh Technium 420
    Posts
    128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a garage sale Raleigh too ('89 Technium). I love it and fixing it up has taught me quite a bit. I completed my first century in September on it. I've only replaced the front wheel, saddle, and bottom bracket (ditched the loose bearings and got a Shimano sealed bb).

    Welcome back!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
    I'm back ( to riding and here) after a couple of years. ..................... I got the Raleigh for $5 so if some one takes it out of my truck I'm not out much. Goals: get back to stop hurting . get wind back ,enjoy being out .lose a little weight
    Roy
    Roy, just do 3 things: 1. get a chain and padlock and lock your property to the back of the truck. Chain is cheap - so is a padlock. No more than 5 bucks will get you a good chain.

    2. Get a hemlet (head protection). 3. Ride and enjoy your life :-) Bin dere - still doin' dat. Enjoy
    Last edited by tmac100; 06-14-10 at 09:02 AM.

  10. #10
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Welcome back!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmac100 View Post
    Roy, just do 3 things: 1. get a chain and padlock and lock your property to the back of the truck. Chain is cheap - so is a padlock. No more than 5 bucks will get you a good chain.

    2. Get a hemlet (head protection). 3. Ride and enjoy your life :-) Bin dere - still doin' dat. Enjoy
    One thing with the padlock, put the key on your keyring, don't just toss it somewhere into the truck, somebody breaks into your truck, they can steal the bike too....

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly long haul trucker and steamroller
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I hit the bike trail today. Made thr 1.4 inner loop felt good I feel better Only about 15 minutes more than the normal time it takes to get home may do 2 laps tommorrow.

    Roy
    Every breath I Have ever taken as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •