Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-10, 12:26 PM   #1
Hill-Pumper
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Hill-Pumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Single track, Elk, and Snakes, OH MY!!!

I have thought about quitting posting about my rides. Mostly because they garner very few comments, and I am not sure that anyone really enjoys hearing about them. I did decide to post this one because it was such an epic and unique experience for me, that I thought that I would share it. I am expanding my riding into the mountain bike arena and am still learning all the right techniques to be a better rider. I have as yet, to experience real single track to this point. That changed this weekend when I decided to explore some areas that I had found before, but not gone into due to the very wet conditions at the time. The ride started on an old abandoned logging road, which is a good climb. As I came around a corner, I noticed a garter snake laying across the path. I was in a steep section that I did not want to risk stopping on and had no where to go but over the top of the little guy. I am sure that it was not good for him but it really was him or me. I made it to the top and started to ride in a new area to me, looking for a way to make a loop out of the ride. Coming down a hill, I noticed something moving in the brush down the road. I stopped to see what it was and was glad that I stopped. It was a cow Roosevelt elk, but that was just the first of it. Another elk came out right after her. It was then that I noticed 2 calves on the far side of the first 2. They stopped and looked at me for a second and kept going. I tried to get to my camera, but they were gone. I continued on the ride, and could not find a way to make a loop out of the section, so, I returned back to the way that I had come. I had some time on my hands, so I decided to check out the section that I had seen before. The last time I had seen it, there was water pouring down the logging road, but it looked promising. The old logging road led to an erosion relief trench that looked good on the other side. After crossing it, I found single track nirvana. It had it all, logs across the path, dips, tight tress, off canters, just the stuff mountain bike guys love. I unfortunately, am not a good enough rider to ride all that stuff yet, but I walked where I thought that could not ride, and made it up to the top with very little issues. I did see a couple of cute little coyote pups along the way. I stopped and watched them as they checked me out and let them run along their way. The last thing I wanted to do was raise the ire of their mother , whom I could not see. After making my way back down, I went back to the SUV to go home. I checked my GPS for the days stats and was surprised to find out that I had only covered 12 mile, but did 2200 feet of climbing . On the way out, I had to stop for a couple of deer crossing the road, but seeing all the wildlife seemed just to be part of this ride. I was unable to get any pictures of the animals, because for some reason, they did not want to pose for me. So, I will show a few that I took from the single track area.

This the erosion relief trench that I had to cross to get to the single track.


The far side of the trench was a steep embankment, that I had to side crawl to get up with the bike.


Various single track spots.



From the top, going back down.


My legs got some good cuts on them from blackberry bushes, but the did not seem to show up in the picture real well.


A dirty bike, a sign that had I found something good.


Overall, one of my favorite rides EVER. I was very tired on Sunday, and had some cuts and some bruises that I don't know how I received, but all well worth it.

Last edited by Hill-Pumper; 06-27-10 at 01:22 AM.
Hill-Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 05:33 PM   #2
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Posts: 5,353
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Now those pictures are why we ride with fat tires. Awesome adventure. Stupid Elk should stay and pose for you.
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 05:45 PM   #3
DoubleTap
Senior Member
 
DoubleTap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Portlandia
Bikes:
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Cool ride recap. I did an easy single-track ride on Saturday, but it doesn't compare to this. Nice pics!!
DoubleTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 10:12 PM   #4
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
However did you develop the idea we weren't interested in your ride reports?!? Of course we are. Please post about them!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 10:24 PM   #5
wild animals
Real Human Being
 
wild animals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottery St. Catchpole
Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you like to post about them, do it whether people respond or not.

I usually read or skim ride reports, especially if they have photos, but I don't usually have anything worthwhile to say so I don't respond. I like to read yours because you're in Oregon, too!

Also if you say "elk and snakes" then I'm totally there. Sorry to hear about the snake, though. I'm hypervigilant about not running things over, and I hadn't run over a snake in my entire driving/riding career, but I recently ran over two in 3 days. Awful.
wild animals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-10, 10:38 PM   #6
Hill-Pumper
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Hill-Pumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
However did you develop the idea we weren't interested in your ride reports?!? Of course we are. Please post about them!
Case in point, this thread, 4 replies, 2 of which probably would of not answered if I had not said anything about not posting. I'm not going to worry about it though, if I find some ride that is post worthy, I'll post it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild animals View Post
If you like to post about them, do it whether people respond or not.

I usually read or skim ride reports, especially if they have photos, but I don't usually have anything worthwhile to say so I don't respond. I like to read yours because you're in Oregon, too!

Also if you say "elk and snakes" then I'm totally there. Sorry to hear about the snake, though. I'm hypervigilant about not running things over, and I hadn't run over a snake in my entire driving/riding career, but I recently ran over two in 3 days. Awful.
I am guilty of not responding to every ride reports here too, so I'll remember that next time that I am feeling sorry for myself about it. As far as the snake, I really did not want to run him over, but I was on almost on top of him before I saw him.


I did ride the same single track today, and made it up without getting off the bike most of the way. It had dried up quite a bit, so that made things much easier to deal with. The total for the day was 17 miles and 2700 feet of climbing. I did happen to find the guy who had built the trail in the first place. He happens to be the mechanic who helped my at the LBS where I bought the bike. I went in after today's ride since I need a couple of parts for my bike. He gave me a copy of his personal map of all the trails in the area. So, now there will be more adventures to find.

Last edited by Hill-Pumper; 06-27-10 at 01:24 AM.
Hill-Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 03:37 AM   #7
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
Case in point, this thread, 4 replies, 2 of which probably would of not answered if I had not said anything about not posting. I'm not going to worry about it though, if I find some ride that is post worthy, I'll post it too.
You are assuming that a lack of postings in response means people are not reading, and enjoying, your ride reports. That's a false assumption. Personally I read every ride report I come across. I don't respond to every one since the day is too short for me to come up with something encouraging, insightful, or snarky in reply every time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 07:16 AM   #8
txvintage
Tilting with windmills
 
txvintage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Texas 'Burbs
Bikes: Many
Posts: 4,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like reading ride reports, especially those that involve things like mountains and/or jungle warfare

Wehn I was living up in Puget Sound I was a dedicated light weight road nazi and never really thought about getting out on the bike for the sheer pleasure of sight seeing. If I had the chance to redo my Northwest experience I would have taken way more advantage of my time there and been better about experiencing more than work and training
txvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 12:13 PM   #9
wild animals
Real Human Being
 
wild animals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottery St. Catchpole
Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ohhh yeah. I'd get a lot better exercise if I didn't spend so much time rolling to a stop looking at birds and deer and herptiles and creeks. But it is worth every ever-loving second!
wild animals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 09:27 PM   #10
funrover 
Senior Member
 
funrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like a great area! Glad you slowed for the Elk
funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 04:50 AM   #11
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild animals View Post
Ohhh yeah. I'd get a lot better exercise if I didn't spend so much time rolling to a stop looking at birds and deer and herptiles and creeks. But it is worth every ever-loving second!
Brava! Brava! Another poster who isn't a "mileage guy."
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 09:05 AM   #12
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
Brava! Brava! Another poster who isn't a "mileage guy."
Add me to the list as well
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 01:22 PM   #13
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!
 
Pamestique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Posts: 4,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild animals View Post
If you like to post about them, do it whether people respond or not.

I usually read or skim ride reports, especially if they have photos, but I don't usually have anything worthwhile to say so I don't respond. I like to read yours because you're in Oregon, too!

.

Just because people don't post a response doesn't mean your posts aren't worthy.... I enjoy reading alot of stuff but don't always have time to post a response.

That said, sounds like a fun and exciting ride. Although I admit, I feel for the snake. I would have stopped even if it meant injuring myself. I'm foolish that way! I was out for a ride yesterday and the most exciting thing I saw were lizards. Count yourself very lucky to see all that you did!
__________________
______________________________________________________________

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 PM.