Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-10, 08:20 PM   #1
timmythology
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
timmythology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portland, Or
Bikes: | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
perspective

So this is the route I am thinking for my first 200k.

http://www.napolitano.it/?p=113

Am I getting to ambitious?
timmythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 08:34 PM   #2
jonathanb715
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Kestrel Talon
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the longest ride you've done to date? If you're doing 80 - 100 mile rides already, this will probably be fine - not a lot of climbing, and someone else has figured out where to get water, etc. The only issue is that it will be mostly uphill all the way back - not a steep grade,to be sure, but uphill. I like rides that finish mostly downhill

JB
jonathanb715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 08:54 PM   #3
timmythology
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
timmythology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portland, Or
Bikes: | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Longest ride is 118, I can do 60-100 with some comfort left over.

Mostly wondering on hill's, and not sure about the mile to Km conversion on the graph.
timmythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 08:20 AM   #4
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The one big peak on that graph is hit twice since it's an out 'n' back.

Going, you'll do 200' of climbing in about 6.25 miles, between miles 34 and 40-ish.
Coming back you'll climb closer to 400' in around 10.5 miles, between miles 70 and 80-ish.

It's a good route for a first 200k, IMO. No really horrible climbs. Just be sure to plan your water carefully since it sounds like controls and water availability are fairly sparse.

Now this would be a rough one for a first 200k... The Woodinville-Granite Falls elevation profile:
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 08:34 AM   #5
jr59
Senior Member
 
jr59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: the 904, Jax fl
Bikes:
Posts: 2,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
The one big peak on that graph is hit twice since it's an out 'n' back.

Going, you'll do 200' of climbing in about 6.25 miles, between miles 34 and 40-ish.
Coming back you'll climb closer to 400' in around 10.5 miles, between miles 70 and 80-ish.

It's a good route for a first 200k, IMO. No really horrible climbs. Just be sure to plan your water carefully since it sounds like controls and water availability are fairly sparse.

Now this would be a rough one for a first 200k... The Woodinville-Granite Falls elevation profile:

Clifton, I wouldn't do that one with a motorcycle. Man-O-Man, that climb at 120 would be a killer.
jr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 08:58 AM   #6
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
Clifton, I wouldn't do that one with a motorcycle. Man-O-Man, that climb at 120 would be a killer.
Yeah, this course was my first randonneuring DNF, after the peak around mile 105. Assuming all goes well with my August and September rides (300k on 08-07, 400k on 08-21, 600k on 09-11/12), I'm going back in October for a grudge match against the W'ville-Granite Falls 200k.

Then I can work on this one: The Issaquah Alps 200k. 9,500' total.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 09:18 AM   #7
jr59
Senior Member
 
jr59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: the 904, Jax fl
Bikes:
Posts: 2,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are truly a pain liking biker. Both of those ride I'll do without. Thank-you NO!

My motto these days is NO RIDES, with the words hill, hot, horrible, death or ANYTHING like these. I do not go to.

And i have done all of those rides at least once. NEVER AGAIN!
jr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 09:45 AM   #8
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
You are truly a pain liking biker. Both of those ride I'll do without. Thank-you NO!

My motto these days is NO RIDES, with the words hill, hot, horrible, death or ANYTHING like these. I do not go to.

And i have done all of those rides at least once. NEVER AGAIN!
I think all rando clubs have their own "pain" quirks they're known for. Hills, heat, torturously bad road conditions, few support controls, etc. The Seattle Randos happen to be one of those "hill loving" clubs. I think it's a PNW thing, because BC Randos and OR Randos are much the same way.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 08:25 PM   #9
timmythology
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
timmythology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portland, Or
Bikes: | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks Cliff, I was looking at you for perspective

My plan is to leave at 6amish, so I can get done before dark. The store opens at 8am, So I figure with two bottles, and a camel pak I can make it to Jewel where the reserve is. Than I can have the store on the way back. My bigger concern is getting to my car before dark, since I don't have great lights. Thanks.
So I'll have capacity for around 100oz of fluids, but I can drink 40oz every 20 miles
timmythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-10, 07:54 AM   #10
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmythology View Post
thanks Cliff, I was looking at you for perspective

My plan is to leave at 6amish, so I can get done before dark. The store opens at 8am, So I figure with two bottles, and a camel pak I can make it to Jewel where the reserve is. Than I can have the store on the way back. My bigger concern is getting to my car before dark, since I don't have great lights. Thanks.
So I'll have capacity for around 100oz of fluids, but I can drink 40oz every 20 miles
Are you riding this for RUSA credit? If your start time is 06:00, you'll be back before it's dark. 13h 30m for a 200k means that the latest you'll be out is 21:30 and it isn't fully dark yet. Blinkies in back and maybe a camping lamp on your helmet.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 07:18 PM   #11
timmythology
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
timmythology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portland, Or
Bikes: | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not for RUSA, just for my self. At this time I have found myself in a situation where I can't really fit any where in groups. I also find the solitude of a solo ride is nice. After reading some of your post I started looking at LD, found the Or Randonneuers and am looking at their permanets.

So I gave myself a goal, a 200k by the end of September.

I am going to give it a shot, and if it goes well, I'll keep going. If not I'll continue with the 100k
timmythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-10, 08:17 PM   #12
CliftonGK1
Senior Member
 
CliftonGK1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc
Posts: 11,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmythology View Post
Not for RUSA, just for my self. At this time I have found myself in a situation where I can't really fit any where in groups. I also find the solitude of a solo ride is nice. After reading some of your post I started looking at LD, found the Or Randonneuers and am looking at their permanets.

So I gave myself a goal, a 200k by the end of September.

I am going to give it a shot, and if it goes well, I'll keep going. If not I'll continue with the 100k
The nice thing with rando groups is that you don't need to show up to a ton of events. I know plenty of riders with SIR who come out for a couple 100 and 200k events in a year, but the rest of the time they ride solo to go after an R-12 or whatever distance award they're after.
__________________
"I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
- Mandi M.
CliftonGK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:46 AM.